• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The chains are more for driving on the hard pack and glare ice. You actually have some traction for braking and steering. I bought the studded chains from tirechain.com. A pain to take on & off. The studs get stuck on each other but offer phenomenal grip. I now leave them on all year to help with weed clearing on the trails in the summer. 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I've never sat in a UTV. What makes it so different than an ATV? I figured that it was just bigger with seating for two with a box in the back. Do they get stuck more often?

UTVs are wider (my Polaris Full-size Ranger fits 3 across), longer (with a nice big box) and much heavier than ATVs (1500 pounds for mine).  With similar ground clearance and tire size they will get stuck easier than an ATV.  The day I got stuck in the picture (severely drifted over plowed road) a 4-wheel drive pickup had much better luck going down the road due to better ground clearance.

Something to keep in mind on a UTV with a cab - they sit much higher in height because of the roof/cab.  My friend can't park his in the garage while its on the trailer because of the height.  He has to physically unload the UTV from the trailer and then park the UTV in the garage on the ground instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Raven77 said:

He needs a bigger garage 😉

True facts. And if you want to install tracks, it makes it even taller. Just things to think about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When I bought my used ATV years ago, they guy gave me the old tires with a set of chains. I just store those in my woodshed during the summer and then swap wheels for winter. If you don't have a spare set, you can find them for free! One of these old tires had multiple leaks at both the stem and the bead. I went to my local Polaris dealer and he walked me out back to their pile of tires. When people buy new tires they toss them all out back and pay to have them hauled away. I found two new, barely used front tires for free that are now my new winter snowchain tires. I spent several hours trying to get those chains back on. It can really suck some times.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

UTVs are wider (my Polaris Full-size Ranger fits 3 across), longer (with a nice big box) and much heavier than ATVs (1500 pounds for mine).  With similar ground clearance and tire size they will get stuck easier than an ATV.  The day I got stuck in the picture (severely drifted over plowed road) a 4-wheel drive pickup had much better luck going down the road due to better ground clearance.

Thanks - that paints a good picture

1 hour ago, SkunkedAgain said:

When I bought my used ATV years ago, they guy gave me the old tires with a set of chains. I just store those in my woodshed during the summer and then swap wheels for winter. If you don't have a spare set, you can find them for free! One of these old tires had multiple leaks at both the stem and the bead. I went to my local Polaris dealer and he walked me out back to their pile of tires. When people buy new tires they toss them all out back and pay to have them hauled away. I found two new, barely used front tires for free that are now my new winter snowchain tires. I spent several hours trying to get those chains back on. It can really suck some times.

Good tip to swap the whole tires and rims if you have an extra set!

I put mine on and left them since I don’t trail ride anymore.  Mine is pretty much used just for ice fishing and work around the yard.  I think they help when I pull the drag up and down our gravel driveway.

One thing on the install/de-install of chains on tires: let the air out!  There’s not a lot of pressure but it does ballon the tires.  Let the air out, install the chains for a good snug fit then reinflate to the recommended pressure and they’ll stay tight.  You can take them off without deflating but it does make it a little easier.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

🤔 I put chains on 3 or 4 wheelers every fall after deer hunting. Might take me an hour. Iffin I'm have beer add 45 minutes.🤣🤪

• Yayyyy 1

11 hours ago, gimruis said:

Something to keep in mind on a UTV with a cab - they sit much higher in height because of the roof/cab. 

My Polaris Ranger barely fits under my garage door opening.  I have to prop the door open completely so it doesn't hit it.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

My Polaris Ranger barely fits under my garage door opening. 

Ya thats the issue my friend has too.  I should have mentioned that earlier but the issue is the garage door, technically not the size of the garage.

I put a light bar on top of my Prowler and almost ripped it off pulling into the garage. Another thing that almost got me was the bar hanging down from the quick release on the garage door chain drive track. Going to grind part of that off. Chains aren't in the cards this year, going to buy a new electric auger at the sports show tomorrow.  Happy wife, happy life 🙂. Hope we don't get all the snow they're talking about, that will really screw things up!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2021 at 8:09 PM, JerkinLips said:

My Polaris Ranger barely fits under my garage door opening.  I have to prop the door open completely so it doesn't hit it.

I had to adjust both my garage doors springs to open my doors further. I was going to mount a light bar on mine for ice fishing but now i don't think I can. You also need watch out for the rope for the release. I closed it in my door and closed the garage as I backed out.

• Yayyyy 1

Any ice update?  I see vermilion got about 11 inches of snow yesterday.

Edited by Wicheesehead37

I was out on Saturday on the southern shore of Wakemup. We measured 4-4.5" of solid clear ice consistently where we were. There was still some open water in the middle HOL bay I could see from where we stayed. 

I'm sure with the cold and new snow things will be changing quickly- hopefully not too slushy.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of us who couldn't be there for opener would love to hear how the fishing was....😉

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn’t have any luck, but I heard others and saw people catch fish.