• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 hours ago, StillFishin' said:

They don’t get much better than that!!  Details?

Caught in 38’ of water using a jig/minnow. Caught on east end of Vermilion. Sorry, can’t reveal spot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2021 at 1:21 PM, Tominator692 said:

Personal best this year. A very healthy 29 1/4” walleye. Safely released to thrill another fisherman.

C4619E26-9D3F-4101-980C-9B4CEAD04187.jpeg

Maybe Big Bay off Birch Point by that reef that tops out at 18'?  JK.  That's my best guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reports as usual. I hope to be one of those folks out fishing this weekend, which will be my last trip in open water.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Black Bay has been frozen for the past week. If we do hold off on the snow then things would set up nicely this winter. I am darn excited to have some good, early ice!

• Thumbs Up 2

I dunno… I’m starting to see ice reports coming through for the normal early freeze up lakes.  I’d like to see more than the 3 inches reported as close as Alexandria but if you’re an addict it’s probably about time to start testing.

People seem to like to say they were out by Thanksgiving.

I’m not ready yet but might be in a week and a half.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't mind fishing early ice but the planning needs to be more strategic. I'll only do it in spots that I know, I'll absolutely have all of my safety gear ready to go (ice picks, long broom handle, etc), change of clothes in the truck, not going far from shore...

On Vermilion I wait until long after I *think* that it's safe.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yesterday a guy fishing the channel on Coon lake Anoka Co. Flock of Swans swimming open water 75 yards away. Less than 2" ice at best. Most of the lake still open. I didn't see any safety gear. He's fishing 10 FOW. Foolish kids.

IMG_2747.thumb.jpg.205ad5c5db5bff856a564331eb560415.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 2

1 hour ago, BrianF said:

Skunked, long broom handle? 

Carry sideways when you walk to catch the surface of the ice if you go in. 
Younger years we’d hand pick our way out while laying face down on inner tubes. Get right up to the open water to cast. Not any more. Im too old to be wet and cold. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it’s worth, and not that it’s an excuse to be dumb, but I do wear my float suit ice fishing clothes and picks around my neck on early ice.  Honestly, until I start driving I’m usually in that gear.  Too many times I’ve found big variances that I didn’t expect.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wear my picks with a cord through my sleeves like I’m in 2nd grade. I don’t mind thin ice (3 inches), but as Wanderer says there are variances that you’d better be aware of. I also love my Striker Ice Climate float gear. Never put it to the test, and I’d be pissed off if I went through, but I’d make it out alive. And thirsty for a Jim Beam. 

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, papadarv said:

Foolish kids

Happens every year and will continue to happen as long as there are humans on this planet.  I can assure you he did not catch anything other than maybe a cold.

And if you go through, there's no room at the hospital for you at this time.  They are literally over capacity.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 3

I checked a half dozen central MN lakes today, all small.  I found anything from 75% open to 100% capped with 3” of ice.  One of the lakes did have 3.5 at the access but had 3 visible “generations” of ice made with some standing water near one of the seams.

Swans and geese still using a few of the partially open ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

As Vermilion looks close to the hard water season, has anyone heard of plans for more ice roads or access points? I am a west ender and it feels like the best bet is with a four wheeler or snowmobile when the snow gets deep and possibly a skid shack that can go anywhere. I believe every year there is the ice road out of McKinley park I hear about and I know Fortune Bay has some rentals. Any other guides putting out sleeper shacks or trying an operation? Just can't believe V gets hit so hard in the summer but seems to never be mentioned with winter even close to the likes of Winnie, Leach, Red, LOTW, etc.