• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• delcecchi

• SkunkedAgain

• james_walleye

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty slow walleye weekend for us around Moccasin Point area compared to what we usually do. Managed to put together a fish fry and bring a couple home but had to settle for 14" - 15" to get them. Di

I just returned home from a sweltering 4 day trip on Vermilion. In all of the years that I have fished Lake Vermilion, I don't ever remember it being so hot for so long. We had no top on our boat and

We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake

Posted Images

CFD200
On 2/6/2021 at 4:51 PM, CigarGuy said:

Great pics!  What part of lake were these pictures taken from?

West end of Pine Island.  Right in front of the cabin.

• Thumbs Up 1
Fishing DA Range and nort

Spent a chilly night Friday on the lake.   We had some good action.   Lots of little fish were suprisingly aggressive.   Caught about 10.   Left by 9am on Sat. morning.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spent another chilly night Friday night and all day saturday.  Caught 1 eater.   Pulled my house out, think I swithing gears to go for lake trout if i can find a place to park.

• Wow, ❤ 1
SkunkedAgain

I'm heading up next week and will probably spend half of my days out on the ice. Are people finding a better morning or evening walleye bite these days?

CigarGuy

I've haven't been outside for more than 30 minutes at a time the last 2 weeks with this cold weather. Going to be nice this weekend, I'll be out for sure. Springbay Resort has a ice road that it looks like goes out to Hibbing Point, anyone know if they let people drive out for a fee?

Edited by CigarGuy
JerkinLips
1 hour ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Are people finding a better morning or evening walleye bite these days?

I haven't been up in 17 days, and wasn't catching many fish after December, but the bite I found was quite scattered.  Typically I caught fish from 10am-3pm.  Don't recall catching a fish before 9am, and only 1 after sunset.  Will be up Wednesday-Friday this week and report how the bite is.

• Thumbs Up 1

our bite a few weekends ago was 7am to 9am then scattered.   We did manage to get a few in the dark 6-9pm.   

Pat McGraw

Has anyone been targeting eelpout? I'm not asking for specific spots. I would like to know if anyone finds there are actually enough to be worth targeting. I've stumbled across two or three over thirty years. This leads me to believe there are not Leech Lake or Lake of the Woods numbers but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Assuming some of you have pursued them on Vermillion, any general insight would be appreciated. 

Is there a targetable population? I'll look at the DNR surveys too. 

Day or Night? I've heard that as we get later into the winter or closer to spring a good daytime bite can happen.

Deep or shallow? I've heard it can be both but is there a starting point.

On steep breaks? I've heard that 20-30' on steep break to deeper water.

Deep water humps? I've heard that humps/reefs can produce but not as well as steep breaks. Perhaps you've experienced otherwise. 

Roaming flats?

Hard bottom or soft? 

Bait: Large hair jigs or spoons tipped with minnow heads?

Other thoughts?

The coming week looks like it will be a fantastic time out on the ice. 

Thank you and take care.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pat - good question about the pout population. I caught one 4 years ago in March. About 30' on a super steep break near deep water. Would love to find more of these!

FB_IMG_1613660549585.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
Pat McGraw

Nice one JFitz! I'm going to try some of the steeper, deeper breaks in Frazer Bay (home turf). I'll keep you posted. Thx

Wanderer

I’ll take your word for it on the busy part but it looks nice and open compared to other big lakes to the south!  

Thanks for keeping us tuned in. 😎

• Thumbs Up 1
JerkinLips
3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I’ll take your word for it on the busy part but it looks nice and open compared to other big lakes to the south!

It was extremely quiet on Wednesday and Thursday, and there were only about half as many houses out compared to 3 weeks ago.  Just a lot more people out on Friday and I'm sure there are many more on this nice weather weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2
SkunkedAgain

I'll be out on the west end Monday-Wednesday in my pop up Otter. Hopefully I will have some luck but I'm mostly hoping to relax. Thanks for the reports 

• Thumbs Up 2
JerkinLips

Have fished 15 hours the last yesterday and today without catching a walleye. Y store only had crappie minnows and Fuel and Food had no minnows Thursday morning when I came up so I had to fish with the crappie minnows. My fish house neighbor caught 3 walleyess yesterday morning on pike suckers so I went back into town to get some after bait was delivered. Didn't help. I have only caught four 15" tulibee and a 12" perch. Switching to lake trout the rest of the weekend. 34" of ice. Gas sugar barely made it through. McKinley Park landing has a lot of water on the plowed road as you enter the lake. The Ice Castles may have a hard time getting off the lake this weekend. Good luck if you venture out and be careful.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
JV Ham Lake

We walked to our Daisy Island cabin last Saturday.  Beautiful day with the sun and little wind.  Only caught 1 small walleye.  I measured 21-22" of ice in 20' of water.  Did I see somebody's post saying the ice was 32"?  With the next couple weeks forecasting to be at 40 degrees or above that would seem to raise the possibility of open water in April.  Thoughts?

SkunkedAgain

When I drilled last Tuesday it was about 23" of ice near Hibbing Point in HOL bay

• Thumbs Up 1
JerkinLips
On 3/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, JV Ham Lake said:

I measured 21-22" of ice in 20' of water.  Did I see somebody's post saying the ice was 32"?  With the next couple weeks forecasting to be at 40 degrees or above that would seem to raise the possibility of open water in April.  Thoughts?

I have measured the ice thickness in the same area 10 feet south of my fish house and found the following: 1/30 - 23", 2/18 - 32", 2/26 - 34".  This area has been bare of snow, probably due to the wind direction.  In areas of snow cover the ice thickness will be much less.  Just for comparison I found 26" of ice on Burntside last week.

With the light snow cover and long, very cold stretch we had in February, I think Vermilion will have ice throughout April.  Of course warm weather, heavy rain, and wind could significantly change that.  After March (and the end of lake trout fishing), I don't care how soon the ice goes off.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

slow ice melt, better May fishing in my experience.   The year vermillion was froze on opening weekend we caught the most walleyes on other lakes early in the year, spawning seemed to collide with opening weekend.   Last year was the first time I fished vermillion in may, not opener however.

• 2 weeks later...
Hookmaster

Nice fish, especially the smallie!!

SkunkedAgain

All of those are nice catches through the ice. Congrats!

I think that I'll toss some bolts in my skis (homemade scratchers) this weekend.

• Yayyyy 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Rick changed the title to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Strong summer walleye patterns continue, which is a good thing for catching LOW walleyes. The two primary techniques are drifting or trolling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Schools of walleyes obviously move around based on forage, wind, current and a variety of other factors.  This past week, a couple of patterns emerged.  First and very consistent, targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud in Big Traverse Bay.  Fish of all sizes being caught.  
      The second pattern was off of Pine Island.  With a south wind, a nice bite set up in 16 - 22 feet.  Other patterns such as walleyes relating to structure are also in play.  
      Hammered gold, pink, yellow, orange and red / white are colors doing well.  It is a good idea to use something different from your fishing partner until the walleyes tell you what they want that day.
      On the Rainy River...   A mixed bag on the Rainy River this week.  Most walleye anglers focus on the lake this time of year but nice pockets of "local" walleyes are in the river year round.  Holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find scattered fish.
      Pike adjacent to weeds and current breaks.  Smallmouth bass in great numbers and they don't get much attention.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing up at the Angle this week.  Much like the south end, one area to consider is the deep mud of Little Traverse Bay.  Walleyes are set up over mud in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish.  
      There is so much fun structure to fish where pods of walleyes are hanging out.  Underwater points, sunken islands, and neck down areas are just a few also holding walleyes.    
      Pike are usually willing to play and continue to be active in weedy bays.  Spinnerbaits, spoons, crankbaits and bucktails are good choices.  
      Smallmouth bass are relating to deeper rocks.  Some nice muskies caught and released again this week.
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  We are in the heart of a great summer walleye pattern on LOW. This means good fishing is taking place with two primary methods, pulling spinners with live bait and trolling crankbaits.
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud. Lots of big fish being caught.  The scattered reefs are holding fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, pink, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits and covering water over deep mud has also been effective.  Anglers getting cranks deep in a number of ways.  Leadcore line, a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with a 6' leader, snap weights or downriggers are all viable options.
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is a great option on windy days, small boats, kayaks or for a change of pace.  Fishing the river producing walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon.  
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great summer walleye fishing this week.  Fish in various areas including  the mud, structure such as sunken islands and underwater points and rocky areas.
      Most anglers drifting spinners with crawlers or minnows and trolling crankbaits.  
      Pike continue to be active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      Canada announced driving over the border will be possible August 9th for fully vaccinated Americans who have a negative PCR COVID test less than 72 hours old. Other ways to the Angle...
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service from the south end of the lake.  

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Curious how the depth is in river from Wolf lake to Andrusia and Cass. Is it navigateable.  Was  up there last September and went through there. Kind of scenic and nice slow ride on the mighty Mississippi.  Did get a few fish as well.  Hopefully going there again this year.  Staying at my brother's cabin with his son and my dad near Becida. With dad in his early 80s hoping to keep this 3 year tradition going for a while.
    • PSU
      By PSU
      Heard from an island neighbor (Church Island) next to ours that a bear killed a small dog yesterday around 8:00 pm on an island in Frazer Bay. Also, my other island neighbor to the east (Juniper Island) reported three bears yesterday and one chased after their labrador retriever.  

Watch your pets friends, some of these bears are very aggressive!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A lot of summer walleyes are being caught and fishing has been good.  
      Not all walleyes are targeting the same forage consequently walleyes are being caught shallow to deep.   Many of the shallow fish are eating crayfish or schools of baitfish.  Deep fish feeding on baitfish, mayfly larvae, blood worms, tullibees and the list goes on!
      Most anglers are targeting walleyes in 30-34' of water over deep mud.  The scattered reefs can always hold fish as well.  Spinners and crawlers have been very effective.  Hammered gold, orange and red / white spinners doing well.
      Trolling crankbaits has also been effective.  This technique puts your lure in front of a lot of fish and will get those "reaction" bites even when fish aren't actively feeding.  Pink UV Firetiger, chrome/blue and shiny golds are good colors to start with. 
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River producing a variety of fish.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are in the mix.    
      If targeting walleyes, holes, current breaks, rock piles and weed edges can all hold fish.  Pull spinners or troll cranks to find fish.
      The river is a great change of pace, is beautiful and doesn't receive a lot of traffic during the summer months.
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on the spot on the spot can be effective.  If fish aren't there, move and find them.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers and trolling crankbaits over deep mud areas.  
      Pike are active in weedy bays using crankbaits and bucktails.  
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  For last minute lodging, try the lodging availability finder at www.fishingminnesota.com/lodging-availability-request/

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      Have some friends coming up this weekend. They have an 18" glass pleasure boat. Wondering if with the low water, we'll have trouble launching? Anybody use the launch lately?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Day 3 of using nothing but drop shots, wacky rigs, and jig and craw took me to Wisconsin to see if I could continue my newfound favorite lures. I went to Church Pine Lake, just east of Osceola. Never been here before, so had no clue what to expect. Turns out to be a nice little lake for a small boat such as mine. Lots of potential here, but fishing was tough today. Most fish came on the drop shot on the deep weed edges. 6 bass and 1 little pike. Highlight came at the very end of the day, where I caught a 21 inch bass right in front of the access. Best way to end the day 😁

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really good week of summer walleye fishing.  Walleyes are being found in many areas but most are targeting deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.
      A nice mix of eaters, slots and quite a few trophy walleyes over 28 inches caught this week.  Spinners with crawlers / leeches or trolling crankbaits have been the most effective techniques.  
      Good spinner blade colors to start with are hammered gold, red / white, gold / glow, pink, orange or chartreuse.
      Crankbait colors, pink UV firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger.  It is good to start with different colors / shapes / action of cranks when fishing with other anglers and let the walleyes tell you that day what they want.    
      On the Rainy River...   The river produces a mixed bag of fish during the summer months.  Walleyes, saugers, smallmouth, pike and sturgeon are all available.  
      The sturgeon "keep" season opened July 1st and is open through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Lots of walleyes being caught.  Some fish over the mud, others hanging around structure and a few in shallow rocks eating crayfish.  
      Anchoring up with jigs and minnows or leeches on structure is still effective if fish are present.  Most anglers drifting spinners and crawlers over deep mud areas.  Trolling crankbaits continues to be effective.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are a few ways to get up to the Angle.  

• Marye
      By Marye
      So I'm fairly new to the area my boys love fishing as do I . We have been attempting for the past couple of weeks to find a place we can fish without a boat. In between Brainerd and Little Falls. Also times of day to go. We love fishing I'm a newbie as well so just looking for ideas please and thank you.
    • rumeye
      By rumeye
      Going up to GM 16th through the 21st bringing my 14fter was looking at Ball club and east west twin for walleyes. Anybody fish these before or am I just better off smallie fishing on Two Island or trout in Kimball. I know JB and Moose will have some feedback so what say you ? going up with the wife and 8 yr old grandson they will be kayaking me fishing. Although grandson will probably want to be fishing with me. Appreciate any feedback from you guys thanks.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mtnman
      Counting the days, and looking for cooler weather also. As always, your  pictures are excellent !  How is the fire situation, and what is the lake level ? I'm worried BIDEN is going for another lock down, which isn't going to play out well here. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst. Thanks as always for the pictures !!!
    • Muskies
      My wife and I were out on Tuesday from noon to 3pm. Light east south east wind using jig and minnow. We caught over 30 walleyes with quite a few double headers. The biggest was 23” and another 7 in the 18”-21” range. 10 were in the 14”-17” slot range but did not keep any with the rest being 12”-13”. Water temperature was at 73.5 degrees. Air temperature was at 86 degrees.
    • rayguy
      Been awhile since any reports so here goes.  A tough summer this has been. Never saw so many weeds yet there is very little wild rice. Fishing has been tough to say the least.  No real pattern, nor walleyes are not in there usual summer haunts it seems. Been so slow we headed up to Leech last week for a Musky trip.   Non caught but four follows,   one on Pelican reef that was in the mid 40" range.  Then back to Whitefish for a few more hours of no activity.  Even the panfish are slow.  Anybody with any better reports lets here them.  Lord send some rain.
    • monstermoose78
      As you all know I don’t know anything 
    • monstermoose78
      There is no help once the mind goes @Rick G
    • Rick G
      Ah s#!t, the cops found us😂  Pretty sure it's just You, Rick, Jeff and the old fart left on staff yet.  Can you guys help gramps figure out his password issues?
    • rundrave
      this is an issue on HSO side also. I know of multiple users who have reached out to me offline and had same issue and just stopped trying 
    • Wanderer
      That’s a good question.  👍
    • BWpineisland
      I bought an old fashioned tv antenna and mounted it on my deck. I get CBS, NBC and my network. I’m on the north side of Pine
    • leech~~
      Not up there but camper in Nisswa, mn. I bought a really big like 12' foot long antennae on about a 15' pole.  I was only getting about 3 channels in but I bought one of these powered pre-amp's at Fleet Farm and now get about 12 channels and can watch the Viks again! 👍 It helps to keep turning your antennae and running a channel search until you find the right spot.  Good Luck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.