• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nice picture.  Reminds me of the time we dropped our daughter off at Itasca for Field Camp and drove across Highway 1 to our cabin.     The lights of Cook looked like Hollywood in the distance.   We still talk about that drive, and it was 25 years ago.   

• Thumbs Up 1

There are unicorns and golden walleye awaiting any fisherman brave enough to get there!

I sledded to Black Lake two weeks ago via the creek. There wasn't a ton of snow for going over land and there were definitely areas of thin ice. I had to skip across an open spot as well but made it into Black Lake. There I found areas with real bad slush, so I kept my throttle pinched and did a big loop and got out of there.

Most important for you StateOfHockey, is that you were riding with buddies that could help get you out.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow, ❤ 1

When I first saw the picture I was thinking Black Creek- ding. ding. ding. We have a winner. 

Years ago we hiked in off of 24 and found a consistent 6 or 7 feet and not a mark on our locators.  I have to believe that there is winter kill most years up there.

I will probably never drill another hole in Black Lake.

I like reading the current reports and a huge thank you to all that share good information. I will share info thru Private Messages but not so much on the big old internet. Unfortunately with the lack of snow and the Covid-19 running around I have been staying away from the cabin for the most part. Hopefully in the later part of February I can start making more regular visits and start the search for Crappies and Whitefish.

Good Luck - Stay Well

Steve

Are you saying that I should not have posted about the existence of unicorns and golden walleye in Black Lake?!? ?

As a part-time resident on Black Bay, I have drilled a handful of holes over the years in the bay. The ice gets too thick and the fish move out. I would love to actually hear any tales people have of catching a fish in Black Bay (not the river out to the islands - but in Black Bay itself). I suspect that Black Lake is the same.

Found an old thread about Black Lake, which is 6-8ft at the deepest: 

Edited by SkunkedAgain
I had more to say
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

Crappies in spring, walleye in the channel and around there also in spring.   I used to try in summer but I eventually concluded it was futile.

Skunked- The areas of Black lakes seemed very similar to Black Bay. Flat 6 to 7 feet deep. I did have a friend years ago take his fish and ski into Black Lake. He said it was interesting getting in there. Do you ever see signs of winter kill in Black Bay? I thought I recalled something about one 7 or 8 years ago. 

Good Luck - Enjoy every day 

Steve

On 1/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, Sorgy said:

Skunked- The areas of Black lakes seemed very similar to Black Bay. Flat 6 to 7 feet deep. I did have a friend years ago take his fish and ski into Black Lake. He said it was interesting getting in there. Do you ever see signs of winter kill in Black Bay? I thought I recalled something about one 7 or 8 years ago. 

Good Luck - Enjoy every day 

Steve

I've never seen tangible signs of winter kill in Black Bay, aside from eagles poaching the few dead fish that you would find after iceout on every lake. I think that most of the fish just move to deeper parts of the lake for the winter. When the lake turns cool in the fall, most of the panfish have already moved to deeper/warmer waters.

Black Lake is a different beast because there is not always a clear path for fish travel in and out. In the spring, Black Creek can be high enough for fish (and even boats) to navigate. However, if fish are caught in Black Lake and unable to return to Vermilion, they might suffer from winter kill. Walleye do swim up into Black Lake to spawn in the spring. I don't know how many stick around there but most if not all come back into the bay, recover, and then move further back into the western bays of Vermilion.

All of that said, Black Lake is connected to Black Bay to the east but also Hoodoo Lake to the west. I have never explored Hoodoo Creek or Hoodoo Lake. I'd be curious if others have traveled through there or know much about Hoodoo Lake.

22 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I've never seen tangible signs of winter kill in Black Bay, aside from eagles poaching the few dead fish that you would find after iceout on every lake. I think that most of the fish just move to deeper parts of the lake for the winter. When the lake turns cool in the fall, most of the panfish have already moved to deeper/warmer waters.

Black Lake is a different beast because there is not always a clear path for fish travel in and out. In the spring, Black Creek can be high enough for fish (and even boats) to navigate. However, if fish are caught in Black Lake and unable to return to Vermilion, they might suffer from winter kill. Walleye do swim up into Black Lake to spawn in the spring. I don't know how many stick around there but most if not all come back into the bay, recover, and then move further back into the western bays of Vermilion.

All of that said, Black Lake is connected to Black Bay to the east but also Hoodoo Lake to the west. I have never explored Hoodoo Creek or Hoodoo Lake. I'd be curious if others have traveled through there or know much about Hoodoo Lake.

Hoodoo Lake- My dad said "it has big Northerns in it" This may not be very current as he said that like 40 years ago. 

Hopefully I will make it back up for a few weekends. We need snow and lots of it.

Good Luck 

23 hours ago, Fishing DA Range and nort said:

Finally found the fish.

Nice walleye FDR - and welcome to the site. Your son most of been proud to catch that one!

5 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Nice walleye FDR - and welcome to the site. Your son most of been proud to catch that one!

Yep, think it was his 2nd biggest, he was pumped.  With COVID shutdowns we have been LOW twice and vermillion 3 times, headed back on weekend.      He's diehard, wants to camp in a portable out there this weekend.    

1 minute ago, Fishing DA Range and nort said:

Yep, think it was his 2nd biggest, he was pumped.  With COVID shutdowns we have been LOW twice and vermillion 3 times, headed back on weekend.      He's diehard, wants to camp in a portable out there this weekend.    

Anyone know where to catch pout.   We have been staying nights and keep lines down 24-7 on the lake while we are there, caught several on LOW but cant seem to find them here.   Maybes its to early yet.    Any location to anyone suggest searching for burbs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:13 PM, Fishing DA Range and nort said:

Anyone know where to catch pout.   We have been staying nights and keep lines down 24-7 on the lake while we are there, caught several on LOW but cant seem to find them here.   Maybes its to early yet.    Any location to anyone suggest searching for burbs.

I have caught a couple after dark on Vermilion, that is usually my sign to go in.  I don't know that any location is better for them.  On Red earlier this year I was awoken at 3 am for one on the rattle reel.  In the next 15 minutes I caught a 19" and 21" eye so the walleyes must not discriminate and travel with them to feed.  Hope to find a few eyes on Vermilion this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed. Temp wasn’t all that cold, but the wind was howling.  My road has already drifted over.  I had 2 tip ups out all day with nothing.  Too shallow as I was hoping for crappies but also the wind would drift snow over them every 30 minutes.  That’s ok though, I was able to get all of my lumber and sheet metal moved from the truck to the land for a summer shed build.  ?

• Thumbs Up 2

We also were out Thursday/Friday.   Caught a few eaters but mostly nothing was biting.   Should have moved again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I fished on Saturday.  We caught one whitefish and had one bite jigging and one bite on the tip up.  I was seeing activity on the Livescope but, not many bites.  I think most of them were whitefish as they seemed pretty skittish.  One definitely looked like a walleye from his profile.  I haven't been a very good ice fisherman on Vermilion this year as I have not caught a walleye.  There has to be some fish around Mocc. Point?  I guess I will keep on moving.  I think I will skip this coming weekend as it looks to be pretty cold.

• Thumbs Up 2

my auger took a digger.   Trying various combinations of drills and shafts for remainder of year since ones i would buy are sold out locally.   Trying a masterforce hammer drill and k drill combo, and also have a Milwaukee drill on the way which should work fine.    Also will try it on my strikemaster chipper shaft, which the motor recently died.    THink i leaned it out to much as it seemed to be running real well, then suddenly sieved up.  Im thinking all will work, just at different speeds.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:11 PM, CFD200 said:

A few interesting pictures from the trail camera last weekend.

WGI_1592.JPG

WGI_1593.JPG

WGI_1676.JPG

Great pics!  What part of lake were these pictures taken from?

• The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports