• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We got about 12" of snow Friday-Saturday. Although it was light snow it seems to have created more slush on the lake. I road my snowmobile on a plowed road for a short distance and there was a couple hundred feet of water and slush. Going in last night I hit a long stretch of slush off-road. Because of the high winds yesterday snowmobile tracks have drifted over a lot. I wish I could report good fishing but caught 5 eyes Friday, only one yesterday, and none today (just 3 pout).  Good luck k if you venture out and be very careful.

20200118_075048.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Well I'm bound and determined to drive out of McKinley access towing my crank up house for a four day fishing trip this Wednesday. Have ice road conditions improved or am I totally nuts?

• Yayyyy 1

I'm not sure how the ice road is but I had -18 at my place near Ely last night. Tonight it should be right around 0 with a high tomorrow at 20. Hopefully that will help you out. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

When I left late Sunday afternoon there was only one short plowed road out from McKinley Park and it was filled with deep water and slush for well over half the length of the road (about half mile long).  The last two cold days may have frozen the top layer of this water/slush but I am not certain if it will freeze the entire depth to the ice.  If not, the road could be a hazard this coming weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to those posting an update and I'm certain many others appreciate it too. I guess it's just not the year for trucks and crank up houses.

• Thanks 1

I’m heading to trout lake this weekend for a camping trip.....Does anyone know if there is a lot of slush between Moc point and the portage to trout? The snowmobile I’ll be using doesn’t handle slush the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last I heard was it was really tough going North side of pine when you're headed east towards the portage. There was significant slush. We've since gotten 15-16 additional inches of snow since that time as well which only made matters worse. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup, it looks like my ATV is staying home until later this winter when everything settles down and I can get it back across the ice! Thanks for the reports everyone. You're making me wish for better lake access (and a snowmobile!).

Stay safe

• Yayyyy 1

On 1/21/2020 at 1:22 PM, Smokin’ Barrels Pudelpoint said:

I’m heading to trout lake this weekend for a camping trip.....Does anyone know if there is a lot of slush between Moc point and the portage to trout? The snowmobile I’ll be using doesn’t handle slush the best.

I sure hope you have a fantastic trip!  Never done Trout myself in all the times I’ve been in the area.

I don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer but have you heard anything about snow and slush conditions on Trout?  Hopefully it’s not as bad as the Big V reports but they are neighbors.

Slush was pretty much not a factor with a snowmobile. Fishing was pretty slow but we did manage to ice one laker. Beautiful weather though!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the report JerkinLips. As the old adage goes, a bad day of fishing turns into a good day of cell phone pics?? ? I guess that wolf won't be catching deer anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Walleyess finally showed up. Caught six between 1230 and 500 all on rainbows on a plain red hook. Not great but at least a start. Hopefully they come back tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Would like to try ice fishing on Lake Vermilion! We have an ice castle any plowed roads available anywhere? Any locals have any advice? It’s about a 3.5 hour 1 way drive for us so debating on trying it or keep heading north? 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
4 hours ago, Kohlerp said:

Would like to try ice fishing on Lake Vermilion! We have an ice castle any plowed roads available anywhere? Any locals have any advice? It’s about a 3.5 hour 1 way drive for us so debating on trying it or keep heading north? 

Just click the Follow bar below the thread to follow and be notified of replies @Kohlerp.

Welcome to FM. Let us know how you do please.

Anyone know?

6 hours ago, Kohlerp said:

Access is possible out of McKinley park  , it’s a little bit of a rough go but it does get you out a mile or two where fishing can be done if that’s what your looking to do , but if catching is closer to your heart I would keep heading north or northwest but by doing so your drive will be hours longer , there you go , you make the call

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Kohlerp - I have not been up since February 2 but they haven't got much if any more snow since then so I don't think the conditions got any worse.  There are 2 ice roads coming out from McKinley Park.  The one to the right runs a little over 1/2 mile and ends at a group of 10 wheel houses.  This road is very rough from previous slush and broken ice from vehicles breaking the top layer of ice.  I assume this road is bad because it runs closer to shore so the snow builds up more on and around it.

The road to the left runs out at least 1 mile.  I have not been on this road, but I did see a lot of traffic on it when I was last up.

Fishing has been quite slow recently.  I have only caught 14 walleyes in the last 4 days I fished.  I am heading up again this Friday and can give an updated report then.  I will probably pull my permanent house off the lake for the season this weekend, then switch to lakers.

Good luck if you go to Vermilion and let us know how you do.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Salo Island Family said:

Howdy all.  Anyone know if there is a plowed road out of Stuntz bay towards Seven Sisters?  ?

There are wheel-houses just outside of Stuntz Bay so I am sure that there is a plowed road that far.  I am riding the snowmobile from McKinley Park to  Mud Creek Bay on Friday so I can let you know what I find then if that is soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
2 hours ago, Salo Island Family said:

Thank you for the info!

Let us know how it goes please. Pics too?

• I Like it 1

Added only 2" of light snow since I was last up 12 days ago. However the high winds (especially today) have caused a lot of drifting of the roads as shown in the attached picture (1 mile long road out of McKinley Park).  There is a very good plowed road out of Stunts Bay but it only goes as far as the northernmost point of Long Island ending at 4 fish houses. That is the only good road out of the South end of Vermilion. Wish fishing was good but I have caught only one small walleye today. Y store didn't have rainbows which have caught 80% of my eyes this winter. May have to check out Fuel & Food tonight. Or just switch to Lakers if I am only going to catch 1 or 2 fish a day.

20200214_145329.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports