• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Not the one of the younger man....  Kid to me. 

His background is an island..... right?   

Maybe.......maybe not?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CigarGuy said:

Maybe.......maybe not?

I think I lost a prop near there last year.  Cotter pin had rusted out and I didn't notice until boat wouldn't move.... good thing I had a kicker on.  

If anybody hooks a 14 by 21 Suzuki aluminum prop, on the west end, it's probably mine.

Edited by delcecchi
  • Yayyyy 1

My second year owning a cabin on Pine Island and this lake is humbling. We did ok Memorial weekend catching many small ones. I did catch my best walleye on the lake with a 24” off the dock. Didn’t do well this last weekend as it sounds I shouldn’t have forgot the leeches in the fridge. I hope to have better luck this weekend. It is still tough to have to come home and go back to work.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/17/2019 at 9:33 PM, delcecchi said:

If anybody hooks a 14 by 21 Suzuki aluminum prop, on the west end, it's probably mine.

At least a decade ago, I was fishing in Head O Lakes west off Taylors Island when I got a heavy snag in 35ft. I kept pulling up what felt like a log until it appeared at the surface. It was the underwater power line that I think runs out to the island where everyone fishes muskies. I carefully unhooked my jig and let the line fall back into place in the lake.

I'll keep an eye out for your prop!

Any recent fishing reports for Frazer/Smarts Bay area. Didn't fish much last weekend (maybe four hours), but it was REALLY slow for me. First time I haven't keep a keeper in quite some time. Depths, technique and bait choice would be welcomed! 

PSU,

Fished the evenings last Th, Fr and Saturday.  The smaller side bays in Frazier with slip bobbers and leeches in about 8 ft of water at dusk.

Thursday night my son and I caught 7 eaters.   Friday night the good news was that three of us boated about 30 walleyes.  Bad news was that only 6 were eaters.   All very small but they were really feeding in the warm shallower waters.

Saturday night was very slow.  Just a few small ones.  I haven't been out the last three days.

I've seen a few mayflys in Frazier Bay but no major hatching yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like the evenings may be best. Unfortunately I am usually into some adult beverages during the evenings....

Wear a life jacket and have a friend/wife/offspring drive you around to the honey holes!

• Thumbs Up 1

Problem is Skunked, that she (wife)  enjoys the beverages as much as I do!! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

July 13, going to be staying near Muskego Bay in Wakemup Narrows for the first time.  Very familiar with the West End from years past, less so in the Narrows.

Is there an evening Walleye bite somewhere not too far, like between Treasure Island to the west and Knott's Island to the east?  Don't need specific spots, just want to know if the shallows can hold Walleye at dusk in the Narrows part of Vermilion or have they headed out where they can find deeper daytime water?

I was encourage by what Jetsky mentioned in Frazier Bay but that seems to far to go for an evening bite and get back by dark.

Getting older and don't need to adventure too far away.............

I bet you know the area?.  See ya over the 4th!  If I keep catching them there, I'll have to rename it Schmidt Narrows ?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, Bbobber said:

Nice fish you got there Cigar Man. Ha I know where that is too.

Looks like Schmidt island to me

I don't agree.  Too many socks on Schmidt's island.

Major mayfly hatch on frazer over the weekend.  We got out after walleyes on Saturday night and used leeches and crawlers.  1/2 crawler outfished leeches 2-1.   8 FOW.  

Also had a very active bite on smallies up shallow.  Not back on the V for a couple weeks.  ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hope the bug hatch clears up before this weekend heading up to visit the in-laws for the weekend. hope to get the bite going.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:48 PM, delcecchi said:

I don't agree.  Too many socks on Schmidt's island.

Del, it's a new Schmidt Island/Narrows in Wakemup Bay. Named after me......the new fish catching machine?

On 6/17/2019 at 12:12 AM, BIGFISH.JZ said:

CigarGuy, I couldn't help but notice that the boat you're using appears to have the junk Merc fuel line that has cost boat owners a boat load of money by disintegrating the rubber liner inside and sending it downstream into your filters and carbs. The Merc is the right vintage and the line is the right (wrong) color. If you can find a speck of red or orange printing on it or if it feels soft when you squeeze it, you should cut it into pieces and toss it in the trash. If you are original owner and know 100% that non oxy 91 octane is the only type of gas ever used, maybe it will be fine. I wouldn't risk it though. Check my 'mercury fuel hose causes issues' thread on equipment and expert information forum for pics from this spring.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel line. I replaced it yesterday, this is what the existing fuel line looked like, hopefully, it didn't cause and damage!

1562426762287821355590.jpg

15624270066121347184403.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Im finding the walleye fishing this week to be the toughest bite I've experienced since we've had a place up here since 2010. I can't believe how hard it is to get on pods of fish. Thursday morning I got on a pod for a while and got 4 really nice 15-17" fish. Wednesday morning got on a pod and caught a few keepers. Other than that it's been one here one there at best. Im kind of at a loss at this point. 

• Thanks 1

Been unusually tough for me and some friends I know up there all season....and my two friends are excellent fisherman who know the lake and area (Frazer/Smarts) very well. Seems as though the larger ones are there occasionally (caught a 23, 26 and 26 back-to-back last weekend), but not many keeper size

• Thanks 1

I have heard the fishing is better on west end.  Couldn't prove it by me....   

Was out the other evening,  perfect weather and basically no boats besides me.  Couple bass is all.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Nice fish, BrianF.  Was tough fishing for me July 1-3.  Caught one 23", one nice meal, and a couple of small eyes.  That was all.  Big leeches on a plain hook.  Tried crawlers a couple of times when very slow and didn't have any luck.  Never tried minnows.

• Thumbs Up 2

be nice if you folks would tell which section of the lake you were haulling all these fish in from. 

What I’m certain of, that picture can be replicated on east and west end.  Fish all over that lake.  Yes,  we’ve all had days where we can’t find a bite.  Had that over Memorial Day and it leads to frustration.  

What at a great picture. What a Great Lake........

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, CigarGuy said:

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel line. I replaced it yesterday, this is what the existing fuel line looked like, hopefully, it didn't cause and damage!

1562426762287821355590.jpg

15624270066121347184403.jpg

Looks like it was definitely starting to separate, but looks like you got rid of it just in time. Inspect your fuel filter and replace it if it shows signs of rubber particles. Glad I could help save you from lost fishing time and/or costly repairs. I can spot that stuff from a mile away, it has been the root of many a ruined day of fishing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mbeyer said:

What I’m certain of, that picture can be replicated on east and west end.  Fish all over that lake.  Yes,  we’ve all had days where we can’t find a bite.  Had that over Memorial Day and it leads to frustration.  

What at a great picture. What a Great Lake........

Tis a wonderful lake, but anyone who denies the difference between the two ends over the last decade or so hasn't been paying attention.  

54 minutes ago, BrianF said:

Del, what do you see as the differences in the two sides? 

West end has many fewer small fish,  and fewer walleye in general.   Just look at test netting data. or even the new management plan.   evening reef bite died years ago.   Used to go sit on a reef with a slip bobber and pick up a fish or two or three.  That pattern hasn't worked for years, at least for HOL and Wakemup.   

I don't know what changed that caused the changes in fishing.    My semi-joking theory is all the bad septics got cleaned up and reduced the nutrient flow into the lake around here.   Other theories I have heard involve politics and the placement of the fry from the hatchery.   Cough Joe Cough.  

For sure I see very few folks fishing walleye, at least in the classical manner, when I am out.  Not many boats at all.    I spent a couple days with grandkids tubing and nobody was out doing anything even though the weather was perfect for water sports.   Did see a few Musky fishermen but that was about it.

Anybody else seeing much action?  The possibility that I just don't know what I am doing is also a possibilty.  
But the community spots that used to always have a few boats are totally vacant these days.  

Osprey nest

Woody's cove

Picnic Island

Boys Camp reef

Merry go round

Stove Top  

all deserted.

Edited by delcecchi

I thought this year's test netting showed much fewer walleyes on the east end and were now comparable to the west end? 

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was pinned