• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I didn't fish the tournament, but did luck into my PB 13" crappie off the dock while slip bobbering for walleye.

• Thumbs Up 2

We had a group up fishing this weekend and man it was tough... I've never seen so many 10.5" eyes. Between 3 boats a 15.75" was our big fish haha. We put a lot of miles in the big wind.

We got our limits of 12-15 in crappies yesterday. great day. decided to try that new online guide service that was in the Timberjay the other day. glad we did. Surprised this hadn't been done before

Esox, couldn't find the online guide service in the last two issues of th Timberjay.  Could you please provide a link or a hint as to where you found it?

Thanks for the link.

Personally I can't imagine sending someone I've never met $100 to tell me where to fish.  Finding the fish and a pattern that works is what I enjoy most about fishing.  Catching is just the icing on the cake.  I have a cabin on the lake and a lot of time to fish though.  A service like this probably makes the most sense to someone that only has a few days to fish and needs to learn quickly where the fish are biting.  Interesting business model.

Edited by Raven77

I agree... I don't fish crappies very often and wanted to try it out. I would have spent twice that in gas and time searching so I figured what the heck.  sounds like its really meant for tourists. I am happy to keep the service for myself' haha

• Thumbs Up 1

Headed up tomorrow for the long weekend.  People still seeing most walleye action on minnows?  We used chubs and rainbows last weekend, didn't seem to be a difference between the two.

Following.

Headed up in the morning to beat the traffic up, however, it looks like it will be raining unfortunately. The girls went out last night to buy new rain gear so we will be ready. Just made a post on the Facebook page fishing Minnesota as to where everyone’s favorite bait shop is. We usually stop by the bait shop in Harris. I called this morning to confirm that they have leeches available.

Stephen,

I would double check that the leeches are decent. The leeches I picked up for opener I would be embarrassed to feed to sunfish 1 at a time.

A bait store in Oakdale had very nice leeches last weekend. I highly recommend them.

Good luck on Vermilion- we need some warmer temps.

Steve

1 hour ago, Sorgy said:

Stephen,

I would double check that the leeches are decent. The leeches I picked up for opener I would be embarrassed to feed to sunfish 1 at a time.

A bait store in Oakdale had very nice leeches last weekend. I highly recommend them.

Good luck on Vermilion- we need some warmer temps.

Steve

Which bait shop, I’m about to go take my electrical aptitude test in St. Paul at 430 so I could easily drop by oakdale 

Picked up nice big leeches both of the last two weekends at Lucky Seven in Virginia. Nice rainbow minnows also.  

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Stephen L Johnston Jr. said:

Which bait shop, I’m about to go take my electrical aptitude test in St. Paul at 430 so I could easily drop by oakdale 

If it's in Oakdale, he's probably refering to Blue Ribbon Bait. 

• Thumbs Up 1

just bought a lb from Joe at Northwoods in Cook and they are fine.

Caught a dozen on frazer tonight.  All on rainbows.    Jigs and lindys equally productive.  All 11-15” fish caught in  10-12 fow

• Thumbs Up 2

Did well last night in big bay, 15-20 fow in the evening. 5-8 as it got and after dark. LOTS of small ones but was able to get 8 in the box and 1 slot fish (22”). 

Couple 25’s and a 21 last night. Water temp 52 degrees. Cold out there! Rig and minnow

• Thumbs Up 1

52 degrees?   Brrr.   Maybe won't be putting in the dock in a swim suit....

Had another banner Memorial Day at the lake.  The walleyes cooperated and even the weather was agreeable.  Managed a fish fry for our crew and sent a few home with some of the relatives that were up.  Caught all fish between 20-26’ fow.  Jig and rainbow or a rig and rainbow.  Towards evening set up on the dock and had one of the best dock bites I’ve had in a while.  Vertical jigging off the end of the dock in 6-7 feet.  

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

52 degrees?   Brrr.   Maybe won't be putting in the dock in a swim suit....

49 tonight. 25” 24” so far 

Edited by bassbouncer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Funny everyone I talked to along with myself thought I was a pretty crappy weekend over all. Shoot the weather was only nice Sunday for half the day and the storm which pushed in Sunday night convinced us to just load up the boat and call it a weekend. Saw the same boats trying multiple locations without any luck, guys kept claiming it was too cold or the cold front that moved in Friday shut it down. Cold rain on and off with an inconsistent wind made it hard for us to find em. Only fish we saw caught or were able to find ourselves were small. Tried 23’ off cherry island to no avail. Trolled and jigged up and down pike bay with only a bass to show for it. Tried a couple other trusty spots but not much going. Hoping this warm week snaps a bite because this weekend was pretty weak. 

We did okay this weekend, not great. Size of the fish were really down from last two weeks. Two people, 14 walleyes in about 6 hours of water time. Weather was difficult, but doable. Kept 6. Most were pretty small, in the 11-12" range. Biggest was 16".  Much better than last year Memorial day...looking at my journal, we got shut out last year.

Stepson got a lot of smallies off the dock, using an X-Rap. At least three 18 inchers. Bass seem to be busy shallow after the rain showers move through.

• Thumbs Up 1

We had a tough go of it Saturday and Sunday as well.  No issues finding loads of 10-13" walleyes willing to bite, but had a hard time finding much size.  Our best action on keeper sized walleyes came at and after dark in 4-8 FOW with slip bobbers and a rainbow. 

Crazy how different the weather was this year from last, we were jumping in the lake last year to stay cool, and had the ice fishing bibs on for part of the weekend this year.

• Thumbs Up 2

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was pinned