• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just got to my cabin.  Water level is really high.  Going to be an issue for docks.

Good luck everyone and be safe!

WeatherBug says could get 2-5" of snow tonight ☹️. Sounds like a rainy opener! We'll be out Saturday am, one way or another.  Give us a reason to check out The Landing for something warm! Chad, do you think the water is higher than last year?

Soudan forecast is only calling for 1" of snow.  Temps for the weekend are not too bad, but quite windy on Saturday (18mph).  I'll avoid the rush and wait until Tuesday evening, but good luck to the openers on Vermilion.

Much higher than last year Bill.  Over the bottom rail of my dock frame.  Hope to see you this week.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CLOTAGAMES said:

Is Moosebirds open under the new owners?

Yes, sounds promising!

1 hour ago, Raven77 said:

Much higher than last year Bill.  Over the bottom rail of my dock frame.  Hope to see you this week.

darn, I had to ratchet strap my deck boards down last year so the waves wouldn't wash them away. Would be nice to run into you too! Anybody on our end of the lake know if Manicks has been out putting in lifts and docks?

38 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

darn, I had to ratchet strap my deck boards down last year so the waves wouldn't wash them away. Would be nice to run into you too! Anybody on our end of the lake know if Manicks has been out putting in lifts and docks?

They put ours in last weekend but are not doing dock sections because of the high water.

• Thanks 1

Any "expert" weather forecasters out there for Friday-Monday? I seem to recall a gentleman by the name of Frank who used to post EURO model forecasting and usually seemed pretty accurate. Hoping for at least decent weather, but the forecast I look at on my phone is weather.com (Cook) seems to be getting worse.

Yes, Manick has been out.  Talked with Michelle yesterday and they are working  hard to get everyone's docks in prior to Saturday.  My docks are in but they didn't put the cribs down because the water is so high.  I'm putting mine down tomorrow and using zip ties to hold them in place.

Edited by Raven77

I hope the wind lays down a bit but I'll be out Saturday morning either way. I'll be bringing the ice fishing suit to stay warm/dry and hopefully I won't need it.

Question for the group:

I removed an old live well pump from the bottom of transom (hull?) of an older aluminum fishing boat.  Left a 1.25" hole through the aluminum which is below the water line.

Guy at a boat shop in the Cities recommended using a Bondo fiberglass boat repair kit to permanently patch the hole.  He said the fact that its a fiberglass repair kit is irrelevant.

Anyone have experience with this product?    

I don't want to get out there and sink, but the guy seemed very knowledgeable and he was adamant that this product was the solution.

Thoughts?

image.png

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
24 minutes ago, Wheres_Walter said:

Question for the group:

I removed an old live well pump from the bottom of transom (hull?) of an older aluminum fishing boat.  Left a 1.25" hole through the aluminum which is below the water line.

Guy at a boat shop in the Cities recommended using a Bondo fiberglass boat repair kit to permanently patch the hole.  He said the fact that its a fiberglass repair kit is irrelevant.

Anyone have experience with this product?    

I don't want to get out there and sink, but the guy seemed very knowledgeable and he was adamant that this product was the solution.

Thoughts?

image.png

I worked in the Fiberglass Ind, for 20 years.  Do not try and patch aluminum with fiberglass. It will not bond and will just delaminate (pop-off) in a short time. You don't want to be in the middle of the lake with a 1.25" hole in your hull! ?

Try some thing like this to plug it or find someone that can do aluminum welding and patch it.

Moeller Transom Drain with Plug

Fits flush to boats transom or exterior allowing water to drain when boat is trailered to prevent moisture build-up and rot damage. Features three recessed holes for riveting into transom and pipe plug with molded screwdriver slot. Tough natural nylon won't rot, bend or mildew. Fits 1-1/8" I.D. opening; flange diameter is 2-3/16", 2" U.F. tube l.D. is 7/8". Plug with "O" ring is 3/4" diameter

image.png.f5c6e51e9d57bd77a27d84f61f886d38.png

Edited by leech~~

Leech- Thanks for your input.  The aluminum/fiberglass kit the guy suggested seemed just a bit off in my mind so that I thought it worth double checking.  

I bought that plug kit you suggested on amazon.  If it gets me through this season I'll have this next fall/winter to have it welded permanently.

Matt

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wheres_Walter said:

Leech- Thanks for your input.  The aluminum/fiberglass kit the guy suggested seemed just a bit off in my mind so that I thought it worth double checking.  

I bought that plug kit you suggested on amazon.  If it gets me through this season I'll have this next fall/winter to have it welded permanently.

Matt

Make sure you ordered the right hole size. The one I posted was just an example and only Fits 1-1/8" I.D. opening. They may also make ones with a large nylon screw on nut in the back if you can get into the hull area so you don't have to pop rivet it on.  Good luck.  

Edited by leech~~

4 hours ago, Raven77 said:

Yes, Manick has been out.  Talked with Michelle yesterday and they are working  hard to get everyone's docks in prior to Saturday.  My docks are in but they didn't put the cribs down because the water is so high.  I'm putting mine down tomorrow and using zip ties to hold them in place.

If you can just use watched straps. A lot easier, just run them over several sections at a time. 

2 hours ago, Raven77 said:

What are "watched straps"?

I wondered that too. 

2 hours ago, Raven77 said:

What are "watched straps"?

It's the Chinese version of a ratchet strap ?. Haven't even started drinking yet ??

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Yayyyy 2

12 hours ago, Wheres_Walter said:

Question for the group:

You could always test for Bondo on a used car by using a magnet to see if any part of the body wasn't metallic. Yeah, I'm skeptical about using it on a boat. In a pinch until the temp plug arrives, use duct tape --- real duct tape. I used it on a giant gash in my aluminum canoe for a summer until I got it welded. For a hole that big, take a big piece of metal such as the cover plate for an electrical box, and duct tape that to the exterior of the transom. It's definitely not the safest thing in the world, but it will definitely get you by for a few days until the delivery man shows up.

Not to change subject, was wondering if troutlake Portage hours and fees are the same same as last year thanks for info in advance

Got into a few tonight! Probably released around 8 that were boarder line  Water temp was 51.8. skunked, was that you spinning donuts in your boat?

IMG_20190510_211549144.jpg

IMG_20190510_211438054.jpg

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Thumbs Up 3

Before anyone posts a negative comment, we had 5 guy's fishing in two boats! 23 crappies kept.  Enough for a nice fish fry for us ( I'm sure our retired neighbor will join us) and for my family when I get home. 

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, CigarGuy said:

Before anyone posts a negative comment, we had 5 guy's fishing in two boats!  Enough for a nice fish fry for us ( I'm sure our retired neighbor will join us) and for my family when I get home. 

Are you switching baits in an hour? ?

• Yayyyy 1

7 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

?

From Crappies to Walleye's  Daa!  ?

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

From Crappies to Walleye's  Daa!  ?

I'm slow?. Yep on the walleyes.

• Thumbs Up 1

So how'd people do this weekend?

It was cabin opener, and i'm on an Island. So had to mix a lot of cabin work in with fishing. Overall i fished about 5 hours. On Saturday, fished from 9:30am-noon, and caught two nice walleyes, 19" and 18" (in pics). On Sunday, I fished 8am-10am, and got shut out.

A couple thoughts...both walleyes i caught were stuffed with minnows. The 19" one had ten minnows in the belly. The 18" one had five. I was using rainbows on lindy rigs, and did better after switching down on minnow size. Saturday South wind made choosing location easier - hanging out on wind swept south sides turned out to be a good plan. Sunday was tough - no wind, high sun.

Opening_walleys.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was pinned