• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Congratulations on retiring. I hope the final day is a long lunch and a beer send-off.

I'll see you out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Congratulations on your retirement CigarGuy. I retired in December and it's fantabulous!!!  ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Congratulations on retirement, CigarGuy.  It has been 2 years for me now and I know you will love it.  Can't say I have been fishing more than when I was working, but at least I can pick the best times to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was awakened this morning by the sweet sound of a 2-stroke plodding through Black Bay on the crappie hunt. It's a much better wakeup sound than a whiney snowmobile motor, that's for sure. I should find an alarm clock that sounds like an old outboard plowing through the lake waters....

• Thumbs Up 3

Cigar Guy congrats on your retirement!!! I will start spending a lot more time up there this season as well. There is nothing like that first run down the lake of the season. Good luck  on the early season crappies.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats! I've got another 5 or 6 years to go before retirement. Plan to spend half the year at Vermilion and half in Hawaii. Already saving up for a saltwater fishing boat. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Thanks for the retirement wishes! Spent the first official day putting in a new onboard charger in my boat and doing a little road maintenance with my neighbor. Just sat on the neighbors dock for an hour and got one crappie. Start of retirement feels great!

IMG_20210419_145244128_HDR.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I saw a few boats out in the water but not as many as I expected for a nice weekend. When I left on Sunday night I noticed that your dock was still up, but I think your lights were on. It was tough though to see through the raindrops pelting my face! Fun times on the lake.

I got up Sunday afternoon. I'm debating dropping my dock in, I want my dock builder/ barge company to see the lean or torque that's on it since they made the "L" permanent. One boat came out of Black Bay when we were fishing. Did you happen to notice the water temp in the bay?

Thanks BrianF. I only took the boat out once and that was Friday evening to take a slow cruise and enjoy the sunset. I didn't pay attention to the water temp. However, there was a pod of six pelicans hanging out in the bay so that was something different.

Good luck with the dock.

East end of Waconda Bay.  Our dock points N towards Niles Point, which you can see in the background there.  Been eight years now since we bought; every year better than the last.   

Edited by BrianF

That's a beautiful part of the lake. Great pictures.

Forgive my ignorance as this is more of a map question. Is "Garbage Point" right next to Niles Point? I've heard the name over the years and believe that it is right around there on the north side.

Due to all the the weeds, I’ve heard the name ‘Garbage Bay’ given to the bay just West of Niles Point - which bay actually has a name, Laura Bay - but I’ve not heard of Garbage Point.  Maybe it’s associated with Garbage Bay?  Dunno for sure...

I'm headed up this weekend to dust off the camper. Is it worth bringing the boat for Crappies? Any one heard any reports? I'm assuming they are still deep but maybe with the early ice out they are already up in black bay. Cheers! I'll be nice just to smell the cold north air again.

Been fishing the neighbors dock in Partridge River the last 3 evenings and have only caught 2 crappies. Don't have the boat in the water yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
2 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Been fishing the neighbors dock in Partridge River the last 3 evenings and have only caught 2 crappies. Don't have the boat in the water yet.

Maybe you have to switch to your dock? ?

I hear that to catch suspended crappies, it is best for the fisherman to be suspended as well. I suggest crawling out to the end of yours!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2

2 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I hear that to catch suspended crappies, it is best for the fisherman to be suspended as well. I suggest crawling out to the end of yours!

Funny guy?. Got skunked again ? tonight. Might need to try your idea. Lots of boats heading to Black Bay this evening. Saw the new barge service heading that way. Wonder how long before the local barge service will be down here?

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad you had some luck. Dock fished every evening and only caught a couple of crappies-tossed them back. Manick put my dock in this morning, was going to wait till my lift gets put in to launch the boat. But, with your report and nicer weather coming early in the week, probably going to change my mind. Sure seemed like a lot of boats were heading back that way over the weekend. I was riding the utv, but I would be paralleling The Partridge river, but in the woods, so I don't think you could hear me. Was hoping for a report, thanks!! Btw, you made me hungry for a fresh fish dinner ?

• The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports