• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

5 hours ago, FishinFreak17 said:

My son and I are heading  up to Vermilion Thursday morning and plan on sleeping out in the insulated tent.  First time up this winter, should I bring the snowmobile or the Side by side? I did see a plowed road, but did not see how far out it went, could just trailer all the gear out in the Highlander.  Snow load issues? Night bite?.  Going out of McKinley, any advice welcomed. Thanks

I went out of McKinley today, road is just fine for regular traffic, if you have a truck you can make your own way for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is anything else experiencing a terrible bite the last week or week and a half? Have tried moving the ice castle several times. Tried rock. Tried sand. Tired mud. Different depths. My buddy did decent last weekend 60 yards away from me in his castle on deeper rock. Moved to his spot after he headed back home. Fished it two days and nothing. Over last weekend we did notice a lot of bugs down there when we dropped the camera down. Thinking there is some kind of hatch that is taking place. Couple of our houses in our group did get some slots and nicer fish but they were at night. Seems like this slow fishing is taking place all over the lake. Know quite a few people out there being a local and the report is the same for all. 

2 hours ago, Bbobber said:

I have been catching quite a few northerns this week. They were In 9 feet of water, on sucker minnows and big rainbows.  Most of them were in the slot the biggest one was 46 inches. I also caught a 21” walleye last night

A3F50463-77D5-4676-859F-466D4FBFDF5E.jpeg

DCAAD7C2-F839-42B7-B0D5-E824BFAF29BE.jpeg

Awesome, glad to see someone is having success. 

Nice job Bob! Did you catch the walleye in front of your place or out where we were fishing Monday? After watching you drill holes with your new Strikemaster, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one. Just trying to figure out how I can hide the purchase from my wife?

I had another good day fishing 

We got several northern and crappies, and saved a few for a mealWe got several northern and crappies, and saved a few for a meal. Caught them all right out in front of the cabin. 

9 fow on the edge of weeds

48CA73CB-A121-41B7-BF5E-60D2DA4CAAD0.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Cool, you staying up for the wknd? I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. Start at my place and see what happens. What time did you get the crappies?

On 1/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, BrianF said:

Jim Curlee, I’m considering trading-in my Yamaha Venture for a Skandic.  How does it perform in the deep snow and slush?  Anything you’d do differently?  I wanna make this my last snow machine purchase. 

We have a couple of them that are used for search and rescue. They are studded. They work very well in slush and deep snow. We were across Crane and over into little vermillion a couple weeks ago. Several spots had pretty bad slush. The skandics had no problems, the other sleds with us struggled in several spots. We like the skandics a lot better than the venture we had.

Edited by redneckdan
  • Thumbs Up 2

Had 5 terrible days of fishing out of McKinley Park since December 28, including last Thursday, January 7 when I did not have a bite from sunrise to sunset.  Finally bit the bullet and took the portable out several miles to get away from the crowds.  Although fishing wasn't awesome, it was much better.  Ended up catching 6 walleyes, including 17" and 18" eaters.  Possible reasons for the tough bite out of the Park: (1) extremely heavy vehicle traffic, (2) very heavy fishing pressure, (3) bug hatch possible, (4) bad weather patter - but 2 weeks? (5) I am a lousy angler.

Although the fishing was not good, it was great to be out on the ice.  Sunrise/sunset on Thursday was awesome and the frost was beautiful on Friday.  Won't be up again for 2 weeks, but will move my permanent away from the crowds if the bite hasn't improved.

Had 14" of ice in the new location and I didn't hit any slush traveling across Big Bay.  I did see several spots where people had hit slush, but it had frozen over.  With the low snow cover I would assume most slush has frozen.  Water didn't come onto the ice in either location I fished.  Took the side-by-side out for a run in untouched areas and didn't get stuck.  Good luck, and be careful.

20210108_104811.jpg

20210107_163150.jpg

20210108_132938.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Thursday to Friday morning- Well, we caught four walleye, only two keepers (15, 16”).  They wanted a dead stick and plain hook, lots of lookers while jigging, just wouldn’t bite.  Started in 29 fow and moved up to a 14’ flat structure for overnight camp. All fish caught in 25-31 fow. No marks in 14’.  The big surprise was waking up to -3 degrees vs the forecasted 14 above for the low. Frosted the insulated hub a little bit.  Nice time, just need to find the active fish!

• Thumbs Up 2

Drove by McKinley Park yesterday, looks like a small city out there. 

I've never seen that many ice houses in one area, NO it wasn't awesome.

While we sat there it was a constant parade of vehicles driving out on the ice, and lots of vehicles just "cruising" around.

Good luck catching more than a buzz out there. LOL

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
  • l Love It 1

Fishing was terrible again this weekend. It is getting ridiculous out there with people. I have never seen this many people out on the lake before. I have people driving snowmobiles, side by sides, and wheelers right next to my ice castle when they could easily go always away from it.  People setting up 20-30 yards away from my house and other houses we have in our group. These people are on snowmobiles or four wheelers. If you know anything about fishing you would take advantage of being able to go anywhere you wanted on your sleds or wheelers and get away from the crowds. Had one guy on a four wheeler drive 15 feet away from my house right at dark. He was not going slow either. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Fished this past weekend. I was able to use the sled to stay away from any crowds. However the fishing remained slow for me as well.  Maybe I'm just a bad ice fisher as one evening I went 0 for on icing my few quality fish bites! Oh well the frost was beautiful and weather was mild- hopefully next time they'll stay on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always drive to drive away from shelters/fishermen when I see them. I am firmly in the "do one to others as you have them do unto you" category. However, I have noticed that when someone motors by me in a boat, it often triggers a bite. I am not advocating for it, but sometimes I try to keep it in perspective that sometime those inconsiderate people actually help me out. I still don't like it though!

• Thumbs Up 1

It blows my mind how clueless boaters can be on this lake-guess you could say this about most lakes. When I'm out fishing, they'll cut between me and the shoreline when I'm only a hand full of yards from shore. A lot of them are fellow fisherman who should know better. I also have to mention the pleasure boaters who just wave at ya when they buzz you?. 40,000 acres...have some courtesy! Before we bought our cabin, I used to fish the St. Louis river a lot and that was worse.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Spent the weekend up finishing the boathouse on the east side of LV.  I installed ~1,350 sq. ft. of knotty pine t&g while the kids fished on Saturday. Small waldos, burbot, a few nice jumbo perch, and of course tullibee.  Good times!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, TomWehler said:

good to help others n post fun pics but then please do yerself a huge favor an don’t whine about the outcome you receive late in reality.

Well stated Tom.  I have had people track me down both winter and summer.  I know because they told me they saw me on the fishing forum.  Not like I am a good angler, or that I am on the hottest spot for fishing on the lake.  I just spend a lot of time wetting a line and sometimes have luck.  Best option is to move if ya don't like being followed; I have not yet had somebody follow me from one spot to another.

Love your Goldens.  We have a golden/great peyrennes mix who looks like a golden except she has black fur (part black lab also).

Stay healthy and enjoy life.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

I like your new additions to the family there Tommy. That last one is clearly asking you why the hounds get to be inside, but she has to stay outside!

Due to inflation, I think that you should charge $10 for autographs. Smiles are free.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Nice pictures, and good to hear from you again.   What's with the hospital picture, that some new thing?    

I don't worry about people following me on the lake.....   And I still have one of your riddle posts from long ago.  Haven't figured it out yet....

• Yayyyy 2

Hi D.    ER vista. Dec. 27 n again on 29th. ?

buzz around like I do not knowing what Moderation is -  one day n one year after that hart ablation deal heart say up 125. No back down. Few hours make a call they saw come on in. I go down ER Wyoming an they hook me up say “TOMMY. Yer ok but we watch a bit then if no back off give ya a jump n you can head home..OK?”

?. “Coolimoolio. Let’s do it”

ZAP n all good. Rest a bit head home!

?

Arrive at 3 out at 6.  ?

so then on 29th. Same deal. Creepy. So call n bla bla bla. In at 4 —- ZAP out at 7 ???

full check on 8th. No idea why. All good. But as ya know that can just happen with Afib. No pain just freaky!

Houndz worrie more than I ever do.  BONNIE never show feels much as it’s just another thing.

new drug to gobble so help not happen again. Time will tell. 
Ran snowmachine a bunch since n fish’n so No Fear. 
Hut lake again midweek with Marauders n BONNIE just for fun n Sunnies n dead bait some larger pike in this warm weather.

All good. ?

Had to have a few photos wear’n my custom Venom mask...Ain’t everyday ya get Million volts an go in n come out smile’s n ever so handsome!

?????????

Big Smiles!

Keep on Rock’n!

T

E291DC52-0F9D-4D1D-8686-7C14ED5D4B40.jpeg

BC952D30-21F1-4597-A67C-5A53824437EE.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

I remember my father wearing the shock vest for his afib just in case things went haywire. After a year of it he got to stop but still had to swallow the rat poison daily. I suppose that I'll be there at some point. Maybe I need to keep running from the sauna to the snowpile to keep my ticker in shape.

Stay strong.

• Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

One of my favorite times - Sunday evening looking West across Big Bay all the way to Cook in the distance.  No sounds of generators.  No karaoke speakers blaring across the lake.  No party howlers.  Just the wind and the stars.  ?

78A26213-0DD6-465D-9DF4-E67E3E349CEC.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

^^^+1

My weekend report...slow.  Had a lot of lookers at prime time but couldn’t get them to commit.  Caught a handful of little tikes, some perch, and one nice pike.  Been fishing Rippin Raps mostly but also caught one walleye on a swimbait.  Might have to resort to tipping with a minnow head, but I’d like to move away from livebait altogether if possible.  Gonna keep experimenting before throwing-in the towel.  The cabin sure was warm and cozy after the day was done.53F2D29B-3B98-4155-91E2-933122020100.thumb.jpeg.f37c28609ba69f4302fa483a9efc6c43.jpeg

F1FC834E-3C5F-49A4-A81E-34CEE3704CEF.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 2

• The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports