• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• delcecchi

• MarkB

• james_walleye

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty slow walleye weekend for us around Moccasin Point area compared to what we usually do. Managed to put together a fish fry and bring a couple home but had to settle for 14" - 15" to get them. Di

I just returned home from a sweltering 4 day trip on Vermilion. In all of the years that I have fished Lake Vermilion, I don't ever remember it being so hot for so long. We had no top on our boat and

We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake

Posted Images

kaparzo

I changed the pace and targeted bass on the west end for 2 hours this morning. Caught 3 smallies (15 - 18”) on an underwater rock point in 7-10’ using tubes. If you’re fishing on the rocks, don’t forget to monitor your line condition for abrasions from rocks/snags. Had flouro and braid wear and break several times. Also caught one on a chatter bait over rocks in 4’. Water temp was 55 degrees. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
chaffmj

Had some friends come up a little over a week ago and went out with Cliff and they were real happy about all the crappies they caught and the size of them.

• Thanks 1
chucker1101
On 10/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, Big Perc said:

Whats water temps up there right now? Coming up Wednesday

53-55 degrees in Big Bay

• Thanks 1
SkunkedAgain

My buddies wanted to fish Fectos Point, so on Friday and Saturday we froze our way over there to catch dinks. We caught lots of 10-14" walleye, the biggest perch I've ever seen, and a few deep crappies. We wasted time at a few spots Saturday afternoon before ending up back at the islands between HOL and Wakemup. We boated a handful of 18-22" walleye. All of us jigged, with 3 guys using rainbows and me using crawlers. The minnows were slightly more successful crawlers but not by much.

• Thumbs Up 4
BWpineisland

Fished hard all day Friday. Great weather but fishing was actually slow. Caught a couple 12-14” eyes then landed a 26” hog. Nice warm breeze most of the day. Hoping for better fishing tomorrow. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
leechlake
On 10/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, Big Perc said:

Whats water temps up there right now? Coming up Wednesday

• Thanks 1
leechlake
15 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

Fished a few hours each day Monday thru Wednesday this week.  Catching was a little slow but did end up with a good number of 14-16" walleyes in addition to a few dinks and 2 slot fish including the pictured 25".  The bites I did have were very solid and the fish were fighting like they were 25% bigger than they were.  Seems like the fall bite has begun.  Wednesday evening weather was quite interesting with high winds, sporadic showers, a nice double rainbow and beautiful sunset.  Worth the trip out.  Water temps were 50-53°F.  Going back this weekend with the wife so I don't know if any fishing will be involved.

20201005_173426.jpg

20201007_182325.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.86fbe07d7e360a5dbb32b1854b19167c.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 2
FishinCT

Anyone having any luck with jigging raps yet? Coming up next weekend and with highs in the upper 30s I’m not sure how much I’m going to want to handle minnows

chucker1101
20 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Anyone having any luck with jigging raps yet? Coming up next weekend and with highs in the upper 30s I’m not sure how much I’m going to want to handle minnows

Jigging raps are crushing it right now, especially in the 18-25 depth.

• Thanks 1
FishinCT

Tough forecast for the weekend but we will be out there. Guessing we will have the lake to ourselves for the most part. Anyone been braving the weather the last few days and have a report?

chucker1101

I fished the last two weekends. Who knows how it has/will change by tomorrow? Two thoughts:

1. Walleyes have generally been deeper than you might expect for time of year

2. Jigs have outperformed bait/lndy rigs this year. In some situations, bait rigs shut down while jigs still caught fish. First time in last six years i'd say that jigs have outperformed live bait rigs.

Good luck, FishinCT. Interested in hearing how it goes.

In our area (Frazer/Smarts) it was challenging to find any size. The numbers were fine, but very many 8-10 inchers in 30-35 feet using Jig/minnow

delcecchi
40 minutes ago, PSU said:

Closed the cabin yesterday, glad I did. What a good season spending COVID time on our beautiful lake.

View from our deck facing ENE at the Sourhern Point in Smarts Bay . I know where the end of the rainbow is locates 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ed2bf52f8d3611e67adf53c64ae989f.jpeg

Ah, reminds me of our daugter... Her birthday is in May...We saw a double rainbow out fishing one evening.in July.   Back in the day.,... 

pepperstick

3 hours this morning dragging large sucker minnow on bottom - only 1 bass.  46 degree water temp.  Very windy and miserable.

• Thumbs Up 1
pepperstick

3 more hours this morning trolling crankbaits - one 27" walleye in 20 feet. East end.

• Thumbs Up 1
BrianF

We fished this past week, Oct. 12-17th.  Probably the most brutal weather we’ve ever endured in a boat.  All-day rain, all-day snow, cold, and relentless strong wind every single day.  Being of strong wills and weak minds, we gutted it out through all of it.  Water temp started at 53 on Monday and had dropped to 42 last night on our final spot.  

We targeted smallies in the mid-day hours and walleyes early and late.  Most days we caught 15-20 bass up to 4 1/2lbs on deep rocks using MN compliant umbrella rigs, jig/craw, and swimbaits.

As for walleyes, the morning bite was tough, but the evening bite was reliable with as many as 22 caught and as few as 8 (last night), but typically around 15 fish.  Most were in the slot, but we seemed to catch a few ‘overs’ every evening with three 28’s being our biggest.  

Looking at the forecast and my social calendar, this may be it for my open water season on lake V.  Last year, we were walking out to ice fish in mid-Nov.  Looks like a possible repeat?

Edited by BrianF
  • Thumbs Up 4
FishinCT

Fished Saturday through Monday on the east end. As Brian said it was brutal weather. Wind wasn’t so bad but the wet snow Saturday and below freezing temps Sunday and Monday made things difficult. Didn’t do well until Monday when we put together a 30+ fish day. Caught more than a limit worth of 14-17” fish. Kept just a couple for a meal. Lots of them in that 10-13 range which bodes well for next year.  

Nothing special on the tactics. Caught most of them in one spot. Fish were scattered all over a big mud flat in between islands at 30-35 feet. Jig and lindy caught about the same number of fish. Jig caught a few more of the keeper size fish. 

Fish were coughing up what looked like mayfly larvae. Is that common this time of year? Maybe it was something else?

• Thumbs Up 2
BigVTim

Yikes! Looks like it would be hard to launch and load with the ice on the ramps.

• 2 weeks later...
CFD200

I had planned on doing some fishing as I took out the dock last weekend. Not so.  Ice caused some hindrance. 

Ice Fishing.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
FishinFreak17

I was wondering if the landing is still frozen in..    I was hoping to get out tomorrow and catch a few eyes before the ice sets up.  any info on what depths the eyes will be in would be appreciated.  Finding them I'm 4-10 FOW here in Duluth.

• Thumbs Up 1
adrenalinejunky

How did your outing go fishinfreak? 

StateofHockey

Jigs and Lindy w rainbows, both equally effective.

Nice to be out, was surprised at how few boats were out

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick
      By Rick
      Let's see your pics!!!

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports - Click Here
      Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑
      2009-2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports below↓↓↓↓
      Go ahead and post your Lake of the Woods fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

More current Fishing Reports - Click the >> link above to the right after the NEXT link.

For 2019 LOTW Fishing Reports - Click here.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Lake of the Woods Fishing Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here - Click Here.

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well

Thanks.
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      Has anyone been out to check ice on any lakes in area. Heard there was 2-3 inches on strand. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Looks like NOAA national weather has modified their colder than normal winter with December being quite a bit warmer. May be a struggle to get good ice by Christmas especially Southern two thirds of the state. Getting above average snow (as forecasted) will also hamper ice build. Hope they are wrong.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As we approach Thanksgiving, thin ice covers back bays and a portion of the big lake, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay.   Roughly half of the lake is covered in ice with the rest open water.  Ice anglers are hoping for cold nights combined with low wind and no snow to create a good early sheet of ice.  Every year is different based on Mother Nature of course, but normally resorts will be able to get their smaller fish houses, called day houses, out around December 10th.  When the ice thickens, resorts will begin marking trails where there is the best ice.  Stay tuned...
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of thin ice.  Most ice fishing is done on the main lake during the ice season where there isn't current.  With current in the river, most visitors will work through a resort for safety.
      Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle has a mix of iced over areas with open water in neck down areas.  The ice is forming nicely and the hopes are for colder weather to keep things moving along positively.  Resorts are ready for ice fishing!  A complete list of lodging and ice fishing packages available at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Went out to check some ice on one of my lakes that seems to freeze over before most. 2-3". Still early but maybe another week and ice fishing has begun for me. We'll see. Anyone else getting excited. Now only if cold weather would hurry up and come!

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As we roll into mid November, thin ice conditions on back bays as well as the Rainy River have put an end to the open water fishing season.  Big Traverse Bay is still open water.  The hope each year is to have cold nights combined with low wind and no snow early in the season to create a good early sheet of ice.  Every year is different based on Mother Nature of course, but normally resorts will be able to get their smaller fish houses, called day houses, out around December 10th.  A couple of resorts who provide spearing for pike in back bays of course earlier.  Again, this is just an average.  This year could be earlier or later, time will tell, but everyone is watching.
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of thin ice.  The fall season ended up with a good number of shiners in the river from the fall run.  The few anglers who fished this past week had some good reports.  We believe there are a good number of walleyes in the river despite mixed fishing reports this fall.  Some anglers believe the sheer numbers of shiners in the river made the bite more difficult.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle has a mix of iced over areas and open water.  That is quite typical this time of year.  The ice is forming nicely and the hopes are for colder weather to keep things moving along positively.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Unseasonably warm weather the first week of November saw a fair number of anglers on the water.  Once the lake cleaned up a bit as the waters were dirtied up from a big blow, good walleye reports started coming in from various areas.  Anchored up and jigging with a minnow in anywhere from 7 - 26' of water has been the goto.  Walleyes are setting up in early ice locations nicely.  Some big fall pike being caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Jumbo perch in the mix with walleyes.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some very good reports on the river as of recent.  Four Mile Bay, Wheeler's Point and up river to Vidas putting out some good walleyes.  Most are jigging with an emerald shiner.  Gold, glow and pink have been strong color combos this year.  Anglers still fishing sturgeon catching some nice fish this week as well.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Many anglers have put away the open water gear but for those who are out, the walleyes are there.  With deer hunting started, most are in the woods.  For those still fishing, a jig and a minnow on points and areas with current in 13'-26' has been good.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Pike and muskies are active.  A complete list of lodging and ice fishing packages available at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• Phisher0420
      By Phisher0420
      Had anyone tried and had luck finding worms in late fall. For some reason we have a worm shortage, not I've place in town has had then for weeks
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
    • monstermoose78
      Well I have been stuck inside with covid and just keeping to myself. I hope to get out in the woods or fields soon. Stay healthy everyone.
    • Alex E
      near McKinley park and got starlink to test as an alternative to frontier - not mounted properly (rooftop mount was back ordered) so obstructions are an issue. When it works it flies (had some speed tests >160mbps, but does drop for 20 seconds at a time. As chucker stated, it’s perfect for multiple streaming TV that can download/buffer ahead and for all normal internet uses but not great for video calls. 
    • Mike89
      good for you!!  
    • JerkinLips
      Cools down Sunday afternoon and the wind dies down at the same time so Head-OLakes Bay should freeze over Sunday night, 11/30.  A couple of cool days after that so next weekend may be possible for fishing (on foot).  I may wait until the following Monday 12/6 to go up.
    • smurfy
      Yea noticed that to. Since heading north to Itasca county since 1965, we notice the same with the weather and snow. Seems  brainerd is a line, then north of deer river.
    • jim curlee
      I've had enough drama/frustration over buying a used Skandic. lol Called all over Minnesota yesterday looking for a new one. One of the dealers I called last week, had 8-9 of them, today none. I happened to find one new Skandic SWT, and bought it. Delivery sometime in December. If anybody else is on the fence about a Skandic, you better buy it, there aren't anymore. LOL     
    • Wanderer
      The transition seems to be around Brainerd the past few years that I’ve noticed.  Anything south seems to take a while to lock up good then goes bad earlier. Probably has been that way a long time but I’ve only been in the area about 5 winters now and normally didn’t come this direction to ice fish before then.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I would bet that the ice in front of your place is at least 6 inches thick. I think that this will be a good ice year in our bay, but will have to wait it out to see what the future holds for the rest of the lake!   I expect that you'll drill a hole or two to get some fishing in this weekend....
    • smurfy
      Drove by pleasant lake today coming home from st cloud.  99% of that lake is wide open yet 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.