• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

JerkinLips

Wife came with this weekend so I only made it out for a couple of hours.  Fishing was slow but at least they were decent size eyes (16, 21, 23, 24).  Looks like the fall pattern might be starting even though the water was still warm (69°F).  Can't wait for my next trip up, solo.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• delcecchi

• MarkB

• james_walleye

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty slow walleye weekend for us around Moccasin Point area compared to what we usually do. Managed to put together a fish fry and bring a couple home but had to settle for 14" - 15" to get them. Di

I just returned home from a sweltering 4 day trip on Vermilion. In all of the years that I have fished Lake Vermilion, I don't ever remember it being so hot for so long. We had no top on our boat and

We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake

Posted Images

Wakemup52
On 9/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, Wanderer said:

FFLF... 😉

love the Garage Logic reference!

• Thumbs Up 2
FishinCT

Any recent reports from the bait fishermen? Heading up this week to mostly fish smallies but do at least need one walleye dinner..

Hockeyboys

Anybody having success with leadcore lately?  I was getting fish last week but over Labor Day weekend I was completely skunked.  I have no idea what happened.  Last week while fishing in Niles Bay and then Daisy Bay I reeled in to find spiny water fleas on the end of the line at the swivel.  Are any of you seeing the same thing? 

Badgervet

Hi there,

I'm also gonna be up on the Western side of Lake Vermillion this weekend.  I've never fished the lake in the fall (was up in the spring though we didn't have much luck) and was looking to try and catch some walleyes and maybe a pike or two.  I generally troll with Lindy Rigs with crawlers and minnows (pending on what's producing better).  My plan is to fish points around the islands (20-30 feet of water) and maybe head up to Norwegian Bay in the morning.  I've looked at all the old forums which have been very helpful.  Just seeing if there are any other general helpful wisdom?  

BigVTim

I leadcore trolled quite a bit this past weekend and it was starting to produce. I only had 3-4 fish per hour or two stint, but they are starting to be more aggressive. Basically troll what looks like no structure (hard to do for us walleye newbies), in about 19-24 feet and where there is softer bottom. Wind-swept bays are good. Picked up a 34" pike doing this too. I was hoping for more fish per hour but it should only improve here. I only had crawlers and couldn't get anything besides perch to bite on rigging gear. I wish I would have gotten minnows as I think that would be the ticket for jigging/rigging.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Influenza

I mostly fish the east side (Ely, Cherry, the sister, JB, etcJ. The eyes are there and becoming more active.  Still in that 20’ area.  When slow, don’t be afraid to troll slower for suspended crappies and jumbo perch.  The smallies are on, but never really shut off.  Hug the rocky shore point.  Always a fun catch.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
Yancimator

Badgervet I hope you get some info as I'll also be leaving early in the morning from St. Louis to head that way for my first time ever.  Chasing only smallies and pike and staying at Ludlows.  I plan to beat up the rocks, points and islands for smallies and then find some solid weedlines at the mouths of bays or anywhere else I see em and throw spinnerbaits and spoons and in-line spinners for pike.   Good luck to you guys!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
james_walleye

My daughter and I got our 8 trolling big bay Saturday morning. If I were to give a piece of advice it would be don't get completely locked into shad raps. I typically run shad raps and flickers but I'll switch it up if needed. They produced nothing for us Saturday. I use a whole mix of things. Stick baits. Jointed floating raps. Bomber long As. Storm thin fins. Spoons. Jigs and plastics. Color makes a huge difference for me as well. They are going somewhat but don't be stubborn about switching baits. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
SkunkedAgain

My FIL fished crawlers on Friday on the west end. All we got were small perch, but only gave it about an hour of effort. It was still beautiful out.

Water temp yesterday was around 59 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
CigarGuy

Wife and I fished west end of Wakemup the last 3 hours of each day over the long weekend. Got a few smallies and one crappie each of the last 3 nights-right when it was almost too dark to see the float. We marked a ton of fish, just couldn't get them to bite. Skunked, did you see my cool American Flag all lit up on my cabin?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
SkunkedAgain

I've seen it a few times this summer. That is one creative light display. My daughter pointed to it and said "Cool!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Slow "keeper" fishing for me. Managed to get a bunch of 8-9 inchers in various spots in Smarts and Frazer. Used Lindy's and crawlers at depths ranging from 12-28 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Badgervet

Thanks for updates and advice!   We are packing up our "cooler" weather gear and are heading up today. Won't be able to get on the water until tomorrow am but I'll post any updates on how the fishing goes.  Any day on the water is still better than a day in the office!  

Badgervet

Mtheis, sounds like you guys had a great time!  I’ve got two young boys so I understand about the bonding!  Do you mind saying if you were in the west or east side of the lake?

• Thumbs Up 1

We always fish on the east side, and depart from Hoodoo Point.  Pike Bay was 59 degrees, and trolling around the deeper parts of the bay produced nothing.  So we hit the area around Ely Island, and that is where we found most of them.  The water temperature there was around 61-62 degrees.  Man was it miserable on Monday.  Cold. Rainy. Rough. The lead core bite was really slow.  I picked up a couple on Jigging Raps.  We also used sucker minnows on a slip bobber rig. 

• Thumbs Up 2
FishinCT

I fished all day Wednesday. Beautiful day. Got an 18” for dinner within first 10 minutes trolling so then I went on the search for smallies. Tried drop shot and jigging raps over shallow and deep reefs and shoreline points. Only got one small one on a deep gravel reef. Didn’t even pick up any walleyes with the raps. Lots of lookers but no biters. Trolled the same run coming back in at dark and picked up a 14”. 

Think if I would’ve just stayed fishing walleyes either trolling or with live bait it would have been a really good day. But I wanted to mix it up. Didn’t work. Oh well, still had a fun day. 

Had 63 degrees in big bay

• Thanks 1
Badgervet

Gorgeous day today!  Calm, sunny and the colors are just starting to show.   Not much for fishing though.  On the west end, temp on wakemup was 61 degrees. Not much action with lindy rigs with crawler or sucker minnows.  Tried some shad raps but no bites.  Went over to niles bay this am and there were a few boats in the area but no one was catching.  Drove up to the channel between wolf and niles and got a little Rock bass.  Think I’ll throw out a buck tail This evening and see if I can get a Muskie to bite.  

• Thanks 1

Fished a few hours Saturday with a buddy. We fished deep breaks. Pike suckers and jigs. Kept a 14,14.5,16 & a 18” and threw back a 25”. Seems like the fall bite is finally starting. Anyone else live bait fishing having success with minnows? 

• Thumbs Up 3

T-minus 10 days until my first trip to Vermillion!!  I am getting stoked!!! 

adrenalinejunky

Tlund we did well with big rainbows on Sunday. 

• Thanks 1
JerkinLips

Fished Monday-Wednesday for a few hours each day.  Only caught 9 walleyes with the biggest only 14 inches.  I attribute the poor results to only having small chub minnows since both the Y-store and Fuel and Food were out of pike suckers, rainbows, and shiners.  LOL I am just a bad angler.

• Thumbs Up 1
lakesareaoutdoors

Hey guys!! Here's a video from earlier this summer up on Vermilion

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1
Raven77

Where did you find the big rainbows

Lucky 7 in Cook has some nice big rainbows.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Well Today was my maiden voyage on the ice and boy was I stoked to hit the Hardwater again! Felt great to get back on the Hard pack for another season. Plus side was I even managed to put some nice fish topside. 😀   I fished the NW corner of the state and found a good 4-5 inches on the lakes and areas I fished. This wasn't the norm though most of the lakes either just capped over or were 1-3 inches. Need some serious cold stable weather to firm things up. Cant stress ice safety and common sense in these early ice periods. Ill continue to post the current ice conditions I come across in my adventures throughout the season and hope others will also. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's a waiting game.  Hoping for cold temps and calm winds.  This past week saw some strong winds blow ice around the basin, eating up some of the thinner ice that had formed.  Forecast looks promising to lock things up in the very near future.  Resorts are monitoring ice conditions on Four Mile Bay, Zippel Bay and various areas of the shoreline.  It's important to wait until they say it's good to go and stay on their marked trails when it is time.  Resorts and outfitters monitor ice conditions now and throughout the season daily.  Some spearing and angling for pike in back bays.  
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of ice.  Most ice fishing is done on the main lake during the ice season where there isn't current.  There can be some good ice fishing on the Rainy, but with current in the river, work through a resort for safety.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, NW Angle Resorts and Community have pulled together and will have an ice road up to the Angle so anglers can access resorts.  The NW Angle Guest Ice Road ice access on the south end will be at Springsteel Resort.  More info on Facebook @nwaiceroad.  
      The Angle is iced over and resorts are monitoring ice thickness.  Some resorts have been checking for walleyes in a few spots having good success.  It's not ready yet, but the ice is coming along nicely.  

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      While on my way home from work this morning, I seen that Peltier Lake was frozen over. Clear Lake was probably 99% froze over...looked like a couple random little open spots from geese. To my surprise, Forest Lake was completely iced over. Someone was still busting through ice and duck hunting though. This is very encouraging, as I was hoping to hit the ice this weekend, somewhere north of Hinckley. Tonight’s low is supposed to be in upper teens. Anyone else see other lakes?
    • AlwaysFishing23
      By AlwaysFishing23
      Anyone been out for a drive? Did about a 100 mile loop today and things are looking better few lakes that were rolling last week we’re caped this morning. Hope to find someplace to fish next weekend. Got myself in to much of a rut going to work and sitting around every weekend.
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Let's see your pics!!!

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports - Click Here
      Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑
      2009-2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports below↓↓↓↓
      Go ahead and post your Lake of the Woods fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

More current Fishing Reports - Click the >> link above to the right after the NEXT link.

For 2019 LOTW Fishing Reports - Click here.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Lake of the Woods Fishing Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here - Click Here.

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well

Thanks.
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      Has anyone been out to check ice on any lakes in area. Heard there was 2-3 inches on strand. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Yup, I started it. Seeing people post about water temps in the low 40s, and knowing that there will be a lot of cold temps this week....we may see the small bays freeze. I have a vested interest as I'd like to make it up next weekend, but have strong doubts that our small bay will be ice-free. Let's hear those reports as the lake begins to change.
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Looks like NOAA national weather has modified their colder than normal winter with December being quite a bit warmer. May be a struggle to get good ice by Christmas especially Southern two thirds of the state. Getting above average snow (as forecasted) will also hamper ice build. Hope they are wrong.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As we approach Thanksgiving, thin ice covers back bays and a portion of the big lake, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay.   Roughly half of the lake is covered in ice with the rest open water.  Ice anglers are hoping for cold nights combined with low wind and no snow to create a good early sheet of ice.  Every year is different based on Mother Nature of course, but normally resorts will be able to get their smaller fish houses, called day houses, out around December 10th.  When the ice thickens, resorts will begin marking trails where there is the best ice.  Stay tuned...
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of thin ice.  Most ice fishing is done on the main lake during the ice season where there isn't current.  With current in the river, most visitors will work through a resort for safety.
      Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle has a mix of iced over areas with open water in neck down areas.  The ice is forming nicely and the hopes are for colder weather to keep things moving along positively.  Resorts are ready for ice fishing!  A complete list of lodging and ice fishing packages available at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Went out to check some ice on one of my lakes that seems to freeze over before most. 2-3". Still early but maybe another week and ice fishing has begun for me. We'll see. Anyone else getting excited. Now only if cold weather would hurry up and come!

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• IceHawk
      Well Today was my maiden voyage on the ice and boy was I stoked to hit the Hardwater again! Felt great to get back on the Hard pack for another season. Plus side was I even managed to put some nice fish topside. 😀   I fished the NW corner of the state and found a good 4-5 inches on the lakes and areas I fished. This wasn't the norm though most of the lakes either just capped over or were 1-3 inches. Need some serious cold stable weather to firm things up. Cant stress ice safety and common sense in these early ice periods. Ill continue to post the current ice conditions I come across in my adventures throughout the season and hope others will also. 
    • markcl
      How much ice to walk out, 4 wheeler, truck?
    • monstermoose78
      Probably not duck hunting as it closed on Sunday. If we can stay cold at night I will go check my first ice spots, but they just locked up Monday night. I will check in a day or two. 
    • CigarGuy
      I have att and the service seems to be getting worse over the last few years. Neighbors and others on our end of the lake say the same thing. Wife have Verizon and she gets decent service. Anyone have tmobile on the west end? Wondering if they have any kind of service in this area. Talked to att, they are sending me a new sim card to see if that helps. Of the 3 times they were going to send me a sim card, first and third order never shipped,2nd order was the wrong size. Between live calls, chats, I've been on the phone/computer for 3-1/2+ hours! They're customer service sucks!!!
    • Hockeyboys
      Related topic --- We currently have ATT cell coverage and thinking about changing to Verizon.  Our ATT coverage has been pretty good covering all the way to the south parts of Trout Lake and all the way west to Norwegian and Head O'lakes.  Any input on the coverage across Vermilion with Verizon?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's a waiting game.  Hoping for cold temps and calm winds.  This past week saw some strong winds blow ice around the basin, eating up some of the thinner ice that had formed.  Forecast looks promising to lock things up in the very near future.  Resorts are monitoring ice conditions on Four Mile Bay, Zippel Bay and various areas of the shoreline.  It's important to wait until they say it's good to go and stay on their marked trails when it is time.  Resorts and outfitters monitor ice conditions now and throughout the season daily.  Some spearing and angling for pike in back bays.   On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of ice.  Most ice fishing is done on the main lake during the ice season where there isn't current.  There can be some good ice fishing on the Rainy, but with current in the river, work through a resort for safety. Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, NW Angle Resorts and Community have pulled together and will have an ice road up to the Angle so anglers can access resorts.  The NW Angle Guest Ice Road ice access on the south end will be at Springsteel Resort.  More info on Facebook @nwaiceroad.   The Angle is iced over and resorts are monitoring ice thickness.  Some resorts have been checking for walleyes in a few spots having good success.  It's not ready yet, but the ice is coming along nicely.    
    • JBMasterAngler
      While on my way home from work this morning, I seen that Peltier Lake was frozen over. Clear Lake was probably 99% froze over...looked like a couple random little open spots from geese. To my surprise, Forest Lake was completely iced over. Someone was still busting through ice and duck hunting though. This is very encouraging, as I was hoping to hit the ice this weekend, somewhere north of Hinckley. Tonight’s low is supposed to be in upper teens. Anyone else see other lakes?
    • SkunkedAgain
      Thanks for the update Alex E. It sure would be nice to have an alternative up here. It's good to know that it mostly works even with trees obstructing the view. I'm curious how it changes once all the trees get their leaves back next summer.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Some of my exploits (such as breaking through five inches of ice) have been well-documented on this forum. I thought it would be interesting to hear some of the dumb things that we've all done on/around this lake. They can be funny, serious, life-threatening, just plain dumb, or a combination. I figure that we can all learn a bit while sharing some embarrassing moments.   Mine is a split-decision:   Dumb Candidate #1) Around 5yrs ago, we all headed up for fishing opener. A buddy that used to co-own the cabin got there first with other guys from the group. There was a few inches of fresh snow everywhere. Nobody shoveled the dock or stairs before I got there. I didn't bother either as I was the late-comer. Throughout the weekend the trampled snow turned into ice with each step. Fast-forward to the day everyone was leaving and my buddy slipped on one of the last steps, falling on the corner of a stair tread, and broke several ribs. As the host, I sure felt like crap for not taking charge of things once I got there and getting things shoveled. It sucks seeing a friend get hurt and knowing it was preventable.   Dumb Candidate #2) This summer I took a bunch of nieces and nephews for ATV rides back in the woods. They all had a great time. On the last of five trips, I was a little too excited and went faster along the trail. At one point the edge of my left front tire caught a log and turned the handlebars sharply. In the end, I spent portions of many weekends this summer replacing tie rods and a demolished cv joint on my 2002 Polaris. That was my penalty for being dumb but a good lesson learned.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Who is paying the gas bill for that? 😬   Years ago for a milestone anniversary, we all loaded up in one of the float planes and took a September tour of the lake. It was beautiful and well worth the money. The pilot was only 21yrs old but she definitely knew what she was doing. She even circled our place while all of our neighbors were outside cheering it on. Good memories...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.