• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

JerkinLips

Wife came with this weekend so I only made it out for a couple of hours.  Fishing was slow but at least they were decent size eyes (16, 21, 23, 24).  Looks like the fall pattern might be starting even though the water was still warm (69°F).  Can't wait for my next trip up, solo.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• delcecchi

• MarkB

• james_walleye

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty slow walleye weekend for us around Moccasin Point area compared to what we usually do. Managed to put together a fish fry and bring a couple home but had to settle for 14" - 15" to get them. Di

I just returned home from a sweltering 4 day trip on Vermilion. In all of the years that I have fished Lake Vermilion, I don't ever remember it being so hot for so long. We had no top on our boat and

We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake

Posted Images

Wakemup52
On 9/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, Wanderer said:

FFLF... 😉

love the Garage Logic reference!

• Thumbs Up 2
FishinCT

Any recent reports from the bait fishermen? Heading up this week to mostly fish smallies but do at least need one walleye dinner..

Hockeyboys

Anybody having success with leadcore lately?  I was getting fish last week but over Labor Day weekend I was completely skunked.  I have no idea what happened.  Last week while fishing in Niles Bay and then Daisy Bay I reeled in to find spiny water fleas on the end of the line at the swivel.  Are any of you seeing the same thing? 

Badgervet

Hi there,

I'm also gonna be up on the Western side of Lake Vermillion this weekend.  I've never fished the lake in the fall (was up in the spring though we didn't have much luck) and was looking to try and catch some walleyes and maybe a pike or two.  I generally troll with Lindy Rigs with crawlers and minnows (pending on what's producing better).  My plan is to fish points around the islands (20-30 feet of water) and maybe head up to Norwegian Bay in the morning.  I've looked at all the old forums which have been very helpful.  Just seeing if there are any other general helpful wisdom?  

BigVTim

I leadcore trolled quite a bit this past weekend and it was starting to produce. I only had 3-4 fish per hour or two stint, but they are starting to be more aggressive. Basically troll what looks like no structure (hard to do for us walleye newbies), in about 19-24 feet and where there is softer bottom. Wind-swept bays are good. Picked up a 34" pike doing this too. I was hoping for more fish per hour but it should only improve here. I only had crawlers and couldn't get anything besides perch to bite on rigging gear. I wish I would have gotten minnows as I think that would be the ticket for jigging/rigging.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Influenza

I mostly fish the east side (Ely, Cherry, the sister, JB, etcJ. The eyes are there and becoming more active.  Still in that 20’ area.  When slow, don’t be afraid to troll slower for suspended crappies and jumbo perch.  The smallies are on, but never really shut off.  Hug the rocky shore point.  Always a fun catch.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
Yancimator

Badgervet I hope you get some info as I'll also be leaving early in the morning from St. Louis to head that way for my first time ever.  Chasing only smallies and pike and staying at Ludlows.  I plan to beat up the rocks, points and islands for smallies and then find some solid weedlines at the mouths of bays or anywhere else I see em and throw spinnerbaits and spoons and in-line spinners for pike.   Good luck to you guys!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
james_walleye

My daughter and I got our 8 trolling big bay Saturday morning. If I were to give a piece of advice it would be don't get completely locked into shad raps. I typically run shad raps and flickers but I'll switch it up if needed. They produced nothing for us Saturday. I use a whole mix of things. Stick baits. Jointed floating raps. Bomber long As. Storm thin fins. Spoons. Jigs and plastics. Color makes a huge difference for me as well. They are going somewhat but don't be stubborn about switching baits. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
SkunkedAgain

My FIL fished crawlers on Friday on the west end. All we got were small perch, but only gave it about an hour of effort. It was still beautiful out.

Water temp yesterday was around 59 degrees.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
CigarGuy

Wife and I fished west end of Wakemup the last 3 hours of each day over the long weekend. Got a few smallies and one crappie each of the last 3 nights-right when it was almost too dark to see the float. We marked a ton of fish, just couldn't get them to bite. Skunked, did you see my cool American Flag all lit up on my cabin?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
SkunkedAgain

I've seen it a few times this summer. That is one creative light display. My daughter pointed to it and said "Cool!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Slow "keeper" fishing for me. Managed to get a bunch of 8-9 inchers in various spots in Smarts and Frazer. Used Lindy's and crawlers at depths ranging from 12-28 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Badgervet

Thanks for updates and advice!   We are packing up our "cooler" weather gear and are heading up today. Won't be able to get on the water until tomorrow am but I'll post any updates on how the fishing goes.  Any day on the water is still better than a day in the office!  

Badgervet

Mtheis, sounds like you guys had a great time!  I’ve got two young boys so I understand about the bonding!  Do you mind saying if you were in the west or east side of the lake?

• Thumbs Up 1

We always fish on the east side, and depart from Hoodoo Point.  Pike Bay was 59 degrees, and trolling around the deeper parts of the bay produced nothing.  So we hit the area around Ely Island, and that is where we found most of them.  The water temperature there was around 61-62 degrees.  Man was it miserable on Monday.  Cold. Rainy. Rough. The lead core bite was really slow.  I picked up a couple on Jigging Raps.  We also used sucker minnows on a slip bobber rig. 

• Thumbs Up 2
FishinCT

I fished all day Wednesday. Beautiful day. Got an 18” for dinner within first 10 minutes trolling so then I went on the search for smallies. Tried drop shot and jigging raps over shallow and deep reefs and shoreline points. Only got one small one on a deep gravel reef. Didn’t even pick up any walleyes with the raps. Lots of lookers but no biters. Trolled the same run coming back in at dark and picked up a 14”. 

Think if I would’ve just stayed fishing walleyes either trolling or with live bait it would have been a really good day. But I wanted to mix it up. Didn’t work. Oh well, still had a fun day. 

Had 63 degrees in big bay

• Thanks 1
Badgervet

Gorgeous day today!  Calm, sunny and the colors are just starting to show.   Not much for fishing though.  On the west end, temp on wakemup was 61 degrees. Not much action with lindy rigs with crawler or sucker minnows.  Tried some shad raps but no bites.  Went over to niles bay this am and there were a few boats in the area but no one was catching.  Drove up to the channel between wolf and niles and got a little Rock bass.  Think I’ll throw out a buck tail This evening and see if I can get a Muskie to bite.  

• Thanks 1

Fished a few hours Saturday with a buddy. We fished deep breaks. Pike suckers and jigs. Kept a 14,14.5,16 & a 18” and threw back a 25”. Seems like the fall bite is finally starting. Anyone else live bait fishing having success with minnows? 

• Thumbs Up 3

T-minus 10 days until my first trip to Vermillion!!  I am getting stoked!!! 

adrenalinejunky

Tlund we did well with big rainbows on Sunday. 

• Thanks 1
JerkinLips

Fished Monday-Wednesday for a few hours each day.  Only caught 9 walleyes with the biggest only 14 inches.  I attribute the poor results to only having small chub minnows since both the Y-store and Fuel and Food were out of pike suckers, rainbows, and shiners.  LOL I am just a bad angler.

• Thumbs Up 1
lakesareaoutdoors

Hey guys!! Here's a video from earlier this summer up on Vermilion

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1
Raven77

Where did you find the big rainbows

Lucky 7 in Cook has some nice big rainbows.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's fall in Minnesota.  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  That is the theme with good fall fishing this past week.  The colder weather has walleyes snapping.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 15' - 23' of water.  Structure, areas of the lake adjacent rivers / streams and areas in front of bays holding good numbers of fish.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits continues to catch anglers a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   Some commenting this is one of the best runs of emerald shiners up the river in years.  The river is still low, current slow.  More and more walleyes are coming into the river each day.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  The fish are moving often, try different current seams, flats or holes until you find them.   When you find them, action can be fast.  Don't be afraid to pull crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out and you can cover water.  Four Mile Bay holding walleyes in 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Nice smallmouth bass being caught by walleye anglers.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      A nice walleye bite this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points. 

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • Hawkem9
      By Hawkem9
      Hey guys, 

Looking for some opinions from those of you who fish the lake consistently.  We take a fall trip every year and have been on the cass chain the last 5 years.  Planning on heading to Vermillion this year.  We have two dates in mind being either the 18-25 of Sept or the 9-16th of October.  Love to be somewhere in the middle but it wont work this year.  We will fish Smallies/wallys the majority of the time and planning to stay on the east side.  Would any of you suggest one of those times over the other?  I am seeing the current weather up that way and its making me a bit nervous about the later dates, but if the fishing is better by mid october will certainly risk some colder weather.  Thanks for any input!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great fall fishing this past week.  Walleyes were active with most anglers anchored up and jigging with a minnow.  No surprise walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 9' - 27' of water.  Good reports around the lake.  Structure and current areas holding good numbers of fish. Good walleye reports from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits will catch you a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   A strong run of emerald shiners this past week brought more walleyes into the river.  The river is low, current slow.  Anglers reporting groups of fish from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  Try moving hole to hole until you find fish.  Change the angle of your jigging using different weight jigs.  Pull the jig forward against current, let it fall back and bang bottom.  Trolling crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out also effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass again this week.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleyes active this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points, areas with current, and bay mouths where there is bait all good places to start in 8'-24'.  With the many islands, lots of spots to fish.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Crappies in mix, 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Pike are active.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall pattern of a jig bite for walleyes continues on the big lake.  There are various schools of walleyes located across the south shore.  A good place to start is 9-15' or 22-29' adjacent to rivers, creeks and bays.  Anchor up, jig over the side of the boat with a frozen shiner or fathead.  Anglers reporting going through numbers of small walleyes and saugers to catch nicer eaters.  Decent walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike are active in bays and along shorelines.
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers catching nice walleyes in the river, not the big numbers yet.  Current on the river and the river itself is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits to find fish still effective for some.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass this week.
      Jigging with a minnow on structure with a bit of current in 8-24' effective for walleyes.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Some crappies in 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  Water temps in the mid 50's. 
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JerkinLips
      McKinley Park parking lot is plowed regularly but is often quite busy.  Fortune Bay would be another option but I assume the parking lot is for guests (or customers).
    • monstermoose78
      Had fun diver hunting but my partners sucked at shooting worse than me. First flock I let them shoot and I dropped one it was a ringer and Finn chased that suck way out in the lake and around. Ended up with one merganser and my hunting partners never touched a duck.
    • SkunkedAgain
      In years past, Jack and other owners of the Landing used to keep the boat launch plowed next door. The last owners of the Landing didn't do it. I've asked several times while frequenting the Landing this summer/fall, and it sounds like they do not plan to keep the lot open either. Are there any other public launches on the lake that are regularly or semi-regularly plowed for people to park sled trailers?
    • monstermoose78
      Good luck I heard a report today lots of lakes are frozen
    • BobT
      Wow, I posted that information almost a decade ago. Those definition points I posted are not my opinion but if I remember correctly, I believe they came from the Hunting Handbook. As I posted.... • Crossbow hunters may not party hunt with firearms hunters. • Crossbow hunters may party hunt with archery hunters if they possess an archery license with a crossbow disability permit.   I'm not aware of any change in the law since then. 
    • JerkinLips
      Made it out for 4 hours yesterday and all I caught was this 25" walleye and a 22" northern.  Didn't have a bite in 2 hours last night and didn't see the people fishing by me pull up a fish.  Water temp was 37.4°F and there was a lot of green globs floating in the water.  Maybe that was from the water turning over (heaviest at 39.16°F).  I will blame that for the poor fishing rather than my lack of fishing skill (which I know I have).   Hoodoo point landing (2nd photo) had a little shore ice and McKinley Park (3rd photo) was totally clear as was Stuntz Bay.  With low temperatures in the teens the next 3 mornings I would expect ice to start forming along some shores.  Pulled my boat out of the water but could easily put it back in if the lake stays ice-free and I get my buck early.
    • Austin12345
      Its hard to think but its coming soon at 15 I dont have 300 laying around to buy a vex with so last year I got a garmin striker 4 and made a mount for it even with the summer ducer it worked great!! I would put it up aginst my buddies vexs and marcums here are the pics
    • JBMasterAngler
      I’m leaving the boat home...forecast just sucks up there for the weekend! I’m going to find out the hard way if I indeed patched the leak in my waders 🥶 I’m just going hop from lake to lake, and hope the ice won’t be a problem. 
    • Wiley Coyote
      Not looking to catch ciscos, looking to catch the things that eat ciscos, lol
    • gimruis
      It is supposed to be quite cold for the next 5-6 days and then I saw almost 50 again by deer opener.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.