• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How about Crappies.. I'm told they are on west end..? Not a fishable population on east? Anyone targeting them?

8 hours ago, Trump 2020 said:

How about Crappies.. I'm told they are on west end..? Not a fishable population on east? Anyone targeting them?

I have on occasion.   Getting people to tell you summer crappie spots ....  not real likely.    But I did get a few along the weedline in the bay on the left right before getting to life o reilly and after you go past the castle on the point.   Castle is for sale BTW if you happen to have a spare 3.5 Mil laying around.   Or a really good credit rating.   

Mostly seems to be a spring thing.   

• Thumbs Up 1

and, not a fishing report but this was on Facebook and thought I would pass it along

Riley Geske

· 

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a great weekend. Unfortunately, when I was help my dad pull are boat out off the water today. I took my wallet out off my pocket and set on the dock so it would not get wet. Then I never picked it up before we left. This all happened around 3 pm at the Moccasin point boat launch. I set it on the smaller dock next to the big concrete pier. If anybody hears anything about a lost wallet please pm me. I dont care about the money that was in there all I really want back is my ID and my challenge coin that says U.S Army on it. It was given to me by my bother when he was serving over seas. THANKS SO MUCH AND PLEASE PM IF ANYBODY KNOWS SOMETHING.

Posted today around noon

• Thumbs Up 2

I hear the resorts on west end are busy, but they are usually pretty busy anyway. 

Haven't noticed a large increase in boats. Maybe up a little.

I can't say about the east end.

Edited by delcecchi
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wakemupwalleye said:

It’s been busier than I remember in the past. 

There certainly has been an uptick in Musky fishers in the last few years, although they aren't as obnoxious as back when the bite was new and hot.   

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 7:13 AM, tarpon6 said:

How is the traffic on Vermilion with the border closed?

Speaking for the East end...for opener, and first month of Walleye fishing, i thought there were more boats and more traffic than normal. Since then, i'd say it has been about normal.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  Sounds good.  I'll be on the East side early September for the 4th year in a row for 2 weeks - 12 fishing days solo.  Nothing better than two weeks alone on a beautiful lake to fish for what, when, where, as early or late as you want.  Love it!  

• Thumbs Up 2

My experience was that opener was normal, post-opener was unreal in my area with more boats than I've ever seen crappie fishing, more musky fishermen this summer than usual, but general boat traffic about normal. It's tough to even gauge by looking at The Landing, since it's got new ownership this year plus dealing with Covid. It looks busy, but that's because it has been dead for the past few years.

Sorry to hear about Riley's wallet. Hopefully that thing gets found as I believe there is nothing worse than a thief. Someone clearly found it or it would have been on the dock when Riley returned.

• Thumbs Up 2

One more data point about traffic.   Today was a beautiful day, so after fixing the winch on my boat lift, changing an outlet, and wife mowing the grass (she loves to mow up here) we went out for a boat ride at about 3pm.    Did a lap of head o lakes bay I think I saw two or three boats fishing.    Not even the musky guys were out.  Must have been napping to get ready for evening or something.   Couple pontoons pulling tubes, the kind with kids on them.   

Saw many of the lake homes and cabins that had little sign of life or occupation.   Perhaps people are just not getting company due to pandemic, or they are staying home.   Lots of boat lifts on shore, etc.   so that might be offsetting increased resort business.   

Edited by delcecchi

Another update and report on traffic.   Tonite I went around the corner and into Wakemup.  Near as I could see from south shore there were about 9 or 10 boats fishing.  Abunch of them, maybe 5 or 6 seemed to be fishing walleye on a big sand flat on the south shore, which I always thought of more as a spring spot.   Bobbers, rigging, I trolled a plug through them, allowing plenty of room.   

Saw no fish caught.    Out in deeper water I saw all sorts of stuff that could have been fish suspended.  Couldn't prove it by my catch.  I got one little bass.   Threw it back.  

Well, tomorrow's another day.  Haven't bought bait yet this year, but may have to soon.     

Saw the walleye pictures...  West end isn't very specific, but at least it's better than nothing.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw the walleye pictures...  West end isn't very specific, but at least it's better than nothing. 

Were you expecting GPS coordinates del?  ?

• Yayyyy 2

3 hours ago, Raven77 said:

Were you expecting GPS coordinates del?  ?

Coulda narrowed down to Niles/Wakemup/Norwegian/etc.   Got a 30 inch northern in Wakemup today.  Saw like 8 boats fishing on eastern head o lakes and western wakemup this afternoon.   

Edited by delcecchi

Raven, unfortunately a few people were able to depict where you were from the background and there were 3-4 boats there the past 2 days. 

Del, I think I saw you in wakemup in a green/tan boat out last night going on the south side of wakemup up to the camp by yourself with a bucket hat, you cruised the entire shore and missed a great bite. 

Leadcore bite is on fire...

3 hours ago, GopherFishing said:

Raven, unfortunately a few people were able to depict where you were from the background and there were 3-4 boats there the past 2 days. 

Del, I think I saw you in wakemup in a green/tan boat out last night going on the south side of wakemup up to the camp by yourself with a bucket hat, you cruised the entire shore and missed a great bite. 

Leadcore bite is on fire...

That was me allright old green lund provee with suzuki 140.   Tell me more about the great bite.   Saw a bunch of boats, bobbers, rigging.  I tried trolling a crank and as you know got nothing.   That flat is normally a spring spot, so I was surprised to see all those boats.  Might have to pick  up some leeches or drag out my lead core as appropriate.   

Just around the corner so not even much of a boat ride to get there.   Whatever it takes I can probably come up with it.   Except maybe little tail dancers.  

Head o lakes?   Hmm, I'm thinking I know where that might be from the background.   I have fished out there before.   

Got some of those "made from gold" leeches and gonna rig up a live bait rod, go see what's happening once the rain clears out.   

Others must have figured south shore of wakemup based on number of boats, me included.

Now about that lead core....

Edited by delcecchi

"Raven, unfortunately a few people were able to depict where you were from the background and there were 3-4 boats there the past 2 days. "

Tough crowd here.  Not enough information for del and too much for Gopher.  Guess I'm done sharing information here.  I will just go fish and keep my mouth shut!  Good luck fellas.

Edited by Raven77
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

36 minutes ago, Raven77 said:

"Raven, unfortunately a few people were able to depict where you were from the background and there were 3-4 boats there the past 2 days. "

Tough crowd here.  Not enough information for del and too much for Gopher.  Guess I'm done sharing information here.  I will just go fish and keep my mouth shut!  Good luck fellas.

I didn't mean that as a bad thing at all, I was just saying hopefully you didn't mean to keep that to yourself.

IDK @Raven77, whether posted or not, people seem to find out where fish are one way or another.  Rumors; friends; modern electronics; or actual time on the water.

I for one didn’t read anything negative in Gopherfishing’s comment.  I think it was pretty cool you are all are familiar with the same spot on such a big lake.

On 7/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, delcecchi said:

Head o lakes?   Hmm, I'm thinking I know where that might be from the background.   I have fished out there before.   

Got some of those "made from gold" leeches and gonna rig up a live bait rod, go see what's happening once the rain clears out.   

Others must have figured south shore of wakemup based on number of boats, me included.

Now about that lead core....

Not where I thought it was.  My problem.   

2 hours ago, Raven77 said:

Not enough info for me?   Absolutely, but I appreciate what I can get.     But do what you gotta do.   I just don't have the patience for walleye fishing on west end the past decade unless I have some idea that something is happening.   I can only drag a leech for so long with nothing happening on reefs or flats or whatever.  Maybe I need more beer in the cooler. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not enough info for me?   Absolutely, but I appreciate what I can get.     But do what you gotta do.   I just don't have the patience for walleye fishing on west end the past decade unless I have some idea that something is happening.   I can only drag a leech for so long with nothing happening on reefs or flats or whatever.  Maybe I need more beer in the cooler. 

I've only been here for 4 years and only get to fish maybe 30 days per year but I've had tremendous fishing on the west end of LV.   Attitude is everything.  Hope you can find some enjoyment and success fishing this unbelievable lake.  I've been skunked many days but I've never had a bad day on the water.

Edited by Raven77
  • Thumbs Up 4

I didn't mean that as a bad thing at all, I was just saying hopefully you didn't mean to keep that to yourself.

All good Gopher!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Raven77 said:

I've only been here for 4 years and only get to fish maybe 30 days per year but I've had tremendous fishing on the west end of LV.   Attitude is everything.  Hope you can find some enjoyment and success fishing this unbelievable lake.  I've been skunked many days but I've never had a bad day on the water.

Me either.  been fishing west end since 1974.    I'm still stumped by walleyes.   I guess I just don't have the patience that it takes to work it out.   

So I mostly fish bass and pike.   Them I can catch on occasion.   Even a stray musky.   

I've been on vermilion for past 5 days. Sure envy you that have places here. It is definitely heavenly.  Tough fishing but just wonderful to be on the lake. 2 years ago I found some nice sunfish, but nothing this year. Does anyone fish them much or is it a waste of time. Tomorrow is my last day so hope to find a nice northern or musky for my son to catch.  Stay safe everyone. 

42 minutes ago, Dash 1 said:

I've been on vermilion for past 5 days. Sure envy you that have places here. It is definitely heavenly.  Tough fishing but just wonderful to be on the lake. 2 years ago I found some nice sunfish, but nothing this year. Does anyone fish them much or is it a waste of time. Tomorrow is my last day so hope to find a nice northern or musky for my son to catch.  Stay safe everyone. 

What end of the lake are you on?

• The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports