• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Smokin’ Barrels Pudelpoint

Hey ya’ll-

Does anyone happen to know if you can drive a truck out of Moccasin Point?

CFD200
On 3/4/2020 at 8:00 PM, Smokin’ Barrels Pudelpoint said:

Hey ya’ll-

Does anyone happen to know if you can drive a truck out of Moccasin Point?

I know the snow was too deep before. I am hoping there is enough melt this weekend that I can drive across next weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

CFD200

Drove out fine. 5” of crusty snow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

SkunkedAgain

Perfect driving conditions on Vermilion. My ATV with snowchains did much better out there this weekend than the snowmobile, which had to dive to the shores to find powder.

• Thanks 1

JerkinLips
12 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Perfect driving conditions on Vermilion. My ATV with snowchains did much better out there this weekend than the snowmobile, which had to dive to the shores to find powder.

Another reason I like studs on my sleds.  Traction and lubrication.

• Thanks 1

SkunkedAgain

Did we get any snow this week?

JerkinLips

Looks like Soudan got 1-2 inches of wet snow today.image.png.98be957008adf017622c820e6ea11d8d.png

• Thanks 1

Dialed123

Hey guys this my first post but i've followed the forum for sometime now!

Given the times, we all seem to have more time on our hands, and what better way to past the social distancing time than ice fishing!?  Thinking about trying my luck this coming week on vermillion ice crappies. Anyone ever had any luck targeting them through the ice here? I'm located on the east end in head-o-lakes and was thinking maybe trying the entrances to Norwegian/black bay. 

If anyone has any tips on what types of areas  or tactics to try would be greatly appreciated!! 

I'll be sure to keep y'all updated. Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Rick

Welcome to FM @Dialed123.

Someone just might help you out, so be sure to check back.

If you do get out could you please let us know how it goes?

Pics are awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

SkunkedAgain
Posted (edited)

I've never targeted them through the ice at this time of year, so I'll be interested to hear how it goes. The ice is solid of course. I just took my sled through there yesterday. The lake got a little fresh powder but you can easily still get anywhere on sled or ATV.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Pat McGraw

Dialed123, I haven't done much crappie specific through the ice on Vermilion. However, I would say you're on the right track. I'd start with the holes just prior to the Black Bay narrows or the hole in the narrows. If that doesn't pan out I'd maybe try the typical spring open water spots in Black Bay. For Norwegian I'd try to find the weed line progressing into the furthest NE bay. You may also want to see if there is still a good weed line behind Anselmo's island in the NW corner of Head-o-Lakes bay. Can't wait to hear how you do.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

CigarGuy

The last time I seriously fished was the final wknd of walleye season. We fished a few different spots in Richie Bay, around Schmidt's and Taylor's Islands. All different depths looking for both walleyes and crappies, only caught perch. Neighbor did catch a couple crappies in the Partridge River a few weeks ago. My kids tried same area a couple wknds ago and got skunked.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

delcecchi
On 3/23/2020 at 9:18 PM, Dialed123 said:

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I spent some time out there today and boy was it a nice day to be out there! The sun was shining the and breeze was little to none, I was fishing in a t-shirt!  Too bad the crappie weren't cooperating, though I did get a nice whitefish/cisco in some deeper water out in wakemup. 

The search for crappie continues!

With spring coming I would thing the crappies would be starting to work their way up the Partridge river towards black bay.   Or at least be staging at the mouth of the river.   (me I call the whole thing black bay but some folks say the narrower part at the beginning is the partridge river so I go along)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

PSU

Is this warmer weather (here in The Cities at least) doing anything to the ice? 

BrianF

A lot of glare ice this morning.  A lot of puddles this afternoon.  Areas of ice had a soft crust you broke thru when you walked...about 2” or 3”.  We probably lost a couple inches today, at least where I was.  Supposed to get 3” to 6” of snow Saturday night? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

FishinCT

Alright everyone, since I’m starting to see some open water out here in South Dakota I’m itching to get off the ice fishing talk. Due to the virus, this is likely to be my first opener on Vermilion in about 20 years. What are some strategies that you use that time of year? Depth, presentation, bait etc. 

I’ll warm up on the April walleyes out here in the meantime!

• Yayyyy 1

delcecchi
8 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Alright everyone, since I’m starting to see some open water out here in South Dakota I’m itching to get off the ice fishing talk. Due to the virus, this is likely to be my first opener on Vermilion in about 20 years. What are some strategies that you use that time of year? Depth, presentation, bait etc. 

I would go back and read Cliff and Ace and others comments about past openers.    A lot depends on when the ice goes out.  

Which end you gonna be at?   

And bring warm clothes and good raingear...   I've been snowed on in the past.

Edited by delcecchi
  • Thanks 1

Bigfatbert
12 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Not sure where all this virus stuff is going to be come the the fishing  opener . Just a heads up for you , that at least at this point our Mn Governor is stating that no long distance travel should be done when it comes to hunting and fishing , and recommends just local fishing or hunting only . Like I said earlier , who knows where all this virus stuff and regulations are going to take us , but a good local plan “B” seems to be a good thing to have .

• Thumbs Up 1

FishinCT

Just trying to get a little banter going. Figured you Minnesota guys in house arrest would be game 😂. This thing will be under control by the opener. It's already trending in the right direction. 

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea for a plan of attack on the opener as long as it's not too windy. If it is, then we'll have to get creative. Just wondering what other guys are planning. I can't be the only one already thinking of this. 

Bigfatbert
44 minutes ago, TomWehler said:

Real deal about virus is people come from all over states that have cabins or homes.
Be tricky deal or could be.

Don’t rush it. Cabin will be there an so will fish. Only life once so...

fun living on own island but tricky getting there an all it takes to open n drop boats n all that without running into friends an at closer than six feet. 
might be moot by May 2. But ya don’t know. 
So relax n just enjoy what ya have n look forward to when all this is just history and yer looking at pictures of my catches an adorable usual mumble “How dose he keep doing that n why at his age n past life style is he so $&&#  Handsome!”

🤩🤩🤩🏒🥅

Ya crappies can be tough .  Find one here then rest over there n move over there the fish moved back where you were or mix depth n do us whole water column  but the most fun to us is the hunt. You will do fine. Enjoy it all!

keep on Rocken!

T

D6A04645-3744-4118-8D83-2F0AF71F5F9E.jpeg

FD67AD2E-A0B2-433B-BE9F-3EE890E7B3BA.jpeg

A833D54A-E31D-4F82-B81E-F0DEE963F3A4.jpeg

39BE091A-3F97-4D4A-BE51-320C13FA9FD6.jpeg

6BF21725-4C5B-4F90-B1B3-BF0AAF84B36F.jpeg

E0231FAB-FEF9-4317-AE2B-43C9A4E62695.jpeg

Hey there T.W , about time you crawled outta your hibernation , something was telling me that this subject would be the one that eventually would wake you from your winter slumber and that you would be spewing out your take on this sometime sooner than later , and in a way that only you can lay down , glad to see your all rested up n b cocked , knocked , and ready to rock doc with a 2020 here I am attitude !! So how’s it feel to be expressing your glory once again while rocking in the new free sick world ?  Yes presently it’s a messed up place to be , much much much more messed up than when you hit the hay for that long winters nap from fishingminnesota.com ! Yes  I would have to say that from my take of the mug pic you look all rested  , Fred Bear n pal seem to be once again in there happy place and ya I know they both have it rough now don’t they , and the T.W and elusive big “V” crappie pose is , well let’s just say in typical T.W fashion , it’s a nice catch but I know you can do better , either that or your saving the trophy pic for another day , only you and Fred know the rest of that story , but that’s ok , it’s allowed ,and I see that you still retained your culinary skills with your feast as the fishies , slaw ,tar tar and your daily bread all look marvelous , yum yum !! Now with that all said I leave the best for last to discuss with ya T.W and it’s got to do with that book that’s so much caught me eye bulbs as it lays next to that geeeeeetar of urs , yes I too know my fair share about Rory who was born from Taste one  , Steve the Humble one , Rick the real McCoy one , and last but by far the least Robin the Poco not loco one  . I mean that just downright gots to be one hell of a read for ya.now don’t it T.W . As I sit and type this out I’m thinking bouts who outta those four rule in the ranks ,goodness such brain stress to get to that answer , and I would bet you would agree on that statement now wouldn’t you , now you may very well have your own thoughts on just who would rule that rank and I totally will accept your opinion on this matter , and I hope that you indeed can agree to disagree with me here , but on that note I’m gonna throw out my yea on this and say that my vote goes to the one , the only , the Irish checkered shirt wizard , now does ya agree or disagree , what’s it gonna be T.W ????? I sure hope you found this to all be satisfactory and written likes you might of done when your just sitting around and social distancing your mind during such a stressful time , and you struck the nail on the head that someday this will indeed all be history . All I want my friend is a agree or a disagree when your in the mood to acknowledge your thoughts to my question , and because as I create this rambling it’s taken me past the 11:59 p.m mark on the clock to the 12:19a.m  mark on the clock I will say “ HAVE A GREAT MONDAY” T.W .... I hope your not thinking that you should throw me over the top rope , haaaaaa !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Bigfatbert
8 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Just trying to get a little banter going. Figured you Minnesota guys in house arrest would be game 😂. This thing will be under control by the opener. It's already trending in the right direction. 

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea for a plan of attack on the opener as long as it's not too windy. If it is, then we'll have to get creative. Just wondering what other guys are planning. I can't be the only one already thinking of this. 

Hey there FishinCT  , as I stated in my earlier response to your earlier post , I would strongly suggest that u indeed have a plan “B” for your fishing plans . Also you may want to rethink your source that’s leading you to believe that things are already trending in the right direction , really ? So with that said and the fact I’m now biting my tongue ,taking a deep breath , pausing and rethinking my response to you I will say to you be safe , do your part , say a prayer or two or three for yourself and yours and your neighbors and for us here in Mn and the whole US and the world and hopefully you indeed will be able to partake in the Mn 2021 fishing opener . At this point with this horrific novel virus and its ability to spread like no other virus known to mankind , only the virus and the good Lord know just where we will be in our near or far future !!  Take care FishinCT !!

TomWehler

Fat

Yeah, I check in for smiles....nothing much to add to winter stuff as was kind of slow round here....talking bout ice thickness an all ,  well....like watching moose crap n I also had this freaky heart deal since last May fishen opener....doing great now a looken forward to ice out.

Just want everyone to be safe n not push it.

We will go when ready n not in dagner or hurting others. Pretty simple deal to follow...so be it.

: )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derringer for me then Mr. G while he was hear but his music lives on.

All four exceptional people an masters of their art.

Music is like fishen in that what works for some don't work for others but still good lures or techniques, style, approach...

All good.

Known Rick long long time as fun few of my LIVE pic's of him were used in that book. Like this one posted from 2005 on State Capitol steps / stage Taste of MN.

I have catalogs of fun LIVE shots from rock n roll shows since 1972...silly fun life stuff.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Fun junk ya do...Lordy Momma Lite my fuse....

Author done good on IN person interviews from each n friends and fellow band members and musicians.

Fun to yack n finger talk about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crappie Clues in the pictures 1st post just for fun was my intention....teaser to fun.

But enjoy the guitar n rock n roll speak also.

Big Smiles.

T

Taste34.jpg

Derringer&Me03.jpg

Taste20.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

SkunkedAgain

Can we rockin' roll hoochie coo the walleye this spring? Fantastic pictures Tommy. Where were they taken?

I plan to fish opener unless it is illegal. Except for touching a gas pump somewhere, I can get in and out without floating a germ to anyone. A doctor buddy already said he was out, and asked that we sew face masks instead of play cards at night. It's an interesting time that we are in. Enjoy the strange ride and stay safe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bigfatbert
4 hours ago, TomWehler said:

Fat

Yeah, I check in for smiles....nothing much to add to winter stuff as was kind of slow round here....talking bout ice thickness an all ,  well....like watching moose crap n I also had this freaky heart deal since last May fishen opener....doing great now a looken forward to ice out.

Just want everyone to be safe n not push it.

We will go when ready n not in dagner or hurting others. Pretty simple deal to follow...so be it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derringer for me then Mr. G while he was hear but his music lives on.

All four exceptional people an masters of their art.

Music is like fishen in that what works for some don't work for others but still good lures or techniques, style, approach...

All good.

Known Rick long long time as fun few of my LIVE pic's of him were used in that book. Like this one posted from 2005 on State Capitol steps / stage Taste of MN.

I have catalogs of fun LIVE shots from rock n roll shows since 1972...silly fun life stuff.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Fun junk ya do...Lordy Momma Lite my fuse....

Author done good on IN person interviews from each n friends and fellow band members and musicians.

Fun to yack n finger talk about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crappie Clues in the pictures 1st post just for fun was my intention....teaser to fun.

But enjoy the guitar n rock n roll speak also.

Big Smiles.

T

Taste34.jpg

Derringer&Me03.jpg

Taste20.jpg

Ok TW and thanks for the reply . . I tried earlier to send you a pm about that book but it was a no go , not sure why but when I tried to send it to you it wouldn’t go through ,  very well could have been my lack of knowledge on doing such  and who knows what I did with those buttons , because I seem to be good at pushing  other buttons on this site , haaaa  ,so I’ve been told , but F that .. It did bum me out though that it didn’t go through because it was quite lengthy and chock full of fun music trivia on my days with music and I had intentions on getting you my personal pics at a later time with many , many different music n geee tarrr pickers , above (j fogerty) (my opinion ) or at , or near the level of the All American Boy  . As to him and your pick of him I do understand as he is a guitar god . Maybe you could PM me with a play by play dummy set of instructions on how actually get u a Pm from me....  smiles , and thanks TW.               

• Thumbs Up 2

PRO-V

Highlight of my life was seeing AC/DC on their last tour at Excel Center. Rock on!! 

Edited by PRO-V
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

delcecchi

Hey tommy.   that looks like one of those bald eagle crappies, you can read a newpaper t hrough the fillet...

• Yayyyy 2