• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

JerkinLips

We got about 12" of snow Friday-Saturday. Although it was light snow it seems to have created more slush on the lake. I road my snowmobile on a plowed road for a short distance and there was a couple hundred feet of water and slush. Going in last night I hit a long stretch of slush off-road. Because of the high winds yesterday snowmobile tracks have drifted over a lot. I wish I could report good fishing but caught 5 eyes Friday, only one yesterday, and none today (just 3 pout).  Good luck k if you venture out and be very careful.

20200118_075048.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Dogzlife000

Well I'm bound and determined to drive out of McKinley access towing my crank up house for a four day fishing trip this Wednesday. Have ice road conditions improved or am I totally nuts?

• Haha 1

chaffmj

I'm not sure how the ice road is but I had -18 at my place near Ely last night. Tonight it should be right around 0 with a high tomorrow at 20. Hopefully that will help you out. 

• Wow 1

JerkinLips

When I left late Sunday afternoon there was only one short plowed road out from McKinley Park and it was filled with deep water and slush for well over half the length of the road (about half mile long).  The last two cold days may have frozen the top layer of this water/slush but I am not certain if it will freeze the entire depth to the ice.  If not, the road could be a hazard this coming weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Dogzlife000

Many thanks to those posting an update and I'm certain many others appreciate it too. I guess it's just not the year for trucks and crank up houses.

• Thanks 1

Smokin’ Barrels Pudelpoint

I’m heading to trout lake this weekend for a camping trip.....Does anyone know if there is a lot of slush between Moc point and the portage to trout? The snowmobile I’ll be using doesn’t handle slush the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spearing Machine

Last I heard was it was really tough going North side of pine when you're headed east towards the portage. There was significant slush. We've since gotten 15-16 additional inches of snow since that time as well which only made matters worse. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

SkunkedAgain

Yup, it looks like my ATV is staying home until later this winter when everything settles down and I can get it back across the ice! Thanks for the reports everyone. You're making me wish for better lake access (and a snowmobile!).

Stay safe

• Haha 1

Wanderer
On 1/21/2020 at 1:22 PM, Smokin’ Barrels Pudelpoint said:

I’m heading to trout lake this weekend for a camping trip.....Does anyone know if there is a lot of slush between Moc point and the portage to trout? The snowmobile I’ll be using doesn’t handle slush the best.

I sure hope you have a fantastic trip!  Never done Trout myself in all the times I’ve been in the area.

I don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer but have you heard anything about snow and slush conditions on Trout?  Hopefully it’s not as bad as the Big V reports but they are neighbors.

Slush was pretty much not a factor with a snowmobile. Fishing was pretty slow but we did manage to ice one laker. Beautiful weather though!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

SkunkedAgain

Thanks for the report JerkinLips. As the old adage goes, a bad day of fishing turns into a good day of cell phone pics?? 😎 I guess that wolf won't be catching deer anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

JerkinLips

Walleyess finally showed up. Caught six between 1230 and 500 all on rainbows on a plain red hook. Not great but at least a start. Hopefully they come back tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Kohlerp

Would like to try ice fishing on Lake Vermilion! We have an ice castle any plowed roads available anywhere? Any locals have any advice? It’s about a 3.5 hour 1 way drive for us so debating on trying it or keep heading north? 

Rick
4 hours ago, Kohlerp said:

Would like to try ice fishing on Lake Vermilion! We have an ice castle any plowed roads available anywhere? Any locals have any advice? It’s about a 3.5 hour 1 way drive for us so debating on trying it or keep heading north? 

Just click the Follow bar below the thread to follow and be notified of replies @Kohlerp.

Welcome to FM. Let us know how you do please.

Anyone know?

Bigfatbert
6 hours ago, Kohlerp said:

Access is possible out of McKinley park  , it’s a little bit of a rough go but it does get you out a mile or two where fishing can be done if that’s what your looking to do , but if catching is closer to your heart I would keep heading north or northwest but by doing so your drive will be hours longer , there you go , you make the call

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

JerkinLips

Kohlerp - I have not been up since February 2 but they haven't got much if any more snow since then so I don't think the conditions got any worse.  There are 2 ice roads coming out from McKinley Park.  The one to the right runs a little over 1/2 mile and ends at a group of 10 wheel houses.  This road is very rough from previous slush and broken ice from vehicles breaking the top layer of ice.  I assume this road is bad because it runs closer to shore so the snow builds up more on and around it.

The road to the left runs out at least 1 mile.  I have not been on this road, but I did see a lot of traffic on it when I was last up.

Fishing has been quite slow recently.  I have only caught 14 walleyes in the last 4 days I fished.  I am heading up again this Friday and can give an updated report then.  I will probably pull my permanent house off the lake for the season this weekend, then switch to lakers.

Good luck if you go to Vermilion and let us know how you do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Salo Island Family

Howdy all.  Anyone know if there is a plowed road out of Stuntz bay towards Seven Sisters?  😁

JerkinLips
20 hours ago, Salo Island Family said:

Howdy all.  Anyone know if there is a plowed road out of Stuntz bay towards Seven Sisters?  😁

There are wheel-houses just outside of Stuntz Bay so I am sure that there is a plowed road that far.  I am riding the snowmobile from McKinley Park to  Mud Creek Bay on Friday so I can let you know what I find then if that is soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Salo Island Family

Thank you for the info!

Rick
2 hours ago, Salo Island Family said:

Thank you for the info!

Let us know how it goes please. Pics too?

• Like 1

JerkinLips

Added only 2" of light snow since I was last up 12 days ago. However the high winds (especially today) have caused a lot of drifting of the roads as shown in the attached picture (1 mile long road out of McKinley Park).  There is a very good plowed road out of Stunts Bay but it only goes as far as the northernmost point of Long Island ending at 4 fish houses. That is the only good road out of the South end of Vermilion. Wish fishing was good but I have caught only one small walleye today. Y store didn't have rainbows which have caught 80% of my eyes this winter. May have to check out Fuel & Food tonight. Or just switch to Lakers if I am only going to catch 1 or 2 fish a day.

20200214_145329.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

TomWehler

Great Sunset pic.

Thanks.

78E5809A-9907-4654-B27F-3DD277524F46.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• iiccee63
      By iiccee63
      Having fished this lake from shore in the summer and my daughter also and did real well, I can't figure why ice fishing is so bad. 2 full days and nothing! 3" perch galore. Moved around and had my camera. Didn't see any life forms whatsoever!!!!! Never coming back. Hardly a soul on the lake on a 43 degree.Sat.??? What?????👎👎👎
    • svingla
      By svingla
      Heading up to Avon to fish Middle Spunk lake this weekend. Looking for any advice or insights for fishing this lake and what to target.
    • bigpunfun
      By bigpunfun
      Heading to the Virginia Mn area Ice fishing in a few weeks. I've fished the Duluth area most of my life but finally spreading out a bit. 
      Not hoping to get anyones "spot".
      How are ice conditions? Anywhere to stay away from safety wise?
      Any dead lakes that would be a waste of my time on a limited trip?
      Thanks yall
    • Chill62
      By Chill62
      I know this is fishing Minnesota but tried something new. Was very interesting and learned a lot quickly. ice conditions restricted where we could get to but we had 5 bites 2 fish. was fun fighting them big steelhead. 

• Jonny 2 shot
      By Jonny 2 shot
      Hey everyone!

Heading up to the Gunflint area this weekend to do some trout fishing.. Anybody been out recently?  How thick is the ice? 

Was planning to put the new ice saw to use and do some sight fishing but curious how the conditions are?

Thanks!

Jon
    • Borch
      By Borch
      Fished hard for 3 days on Big Stone Lake and the bite was very, very tough.  The nice Marked a lot of fish and just couldn't get them to bite. Did manage some dandy perch and trophy gills,(released) but not a lot of numbers.  Saturday late afternoon we stuck 3 gills over 10".  My nephew had one that was at least 10 1/2" but released it before I could measure or get a pic.  Sunday we had 2 more at or just under 10".  Had to downsize to get bit.  Did catch a couple on set lines with fatheads.   Spoons didn't get bit often.  Tungsten jigs or flies tipped with plastics or eurolarvae got most of the action.  
      Found fish in or near basin areas near shallower rock structures.  We would drill, drill and then drill some more.  Once we found fish we would make smaller moves or wait out schools cruising through the area. Travel conditions were excellent.   Just had to watch out for the occassional drift or old plowed road.  Here are a few pics from the weekend.

• Fishing Trend bD
      By Fishing Trend bD
      Village fishing
      fish catching
      fishing videos
      fishing videos
      fishing
      unique fishing
      Catch fishing
      Daily Fishing Life
      fishing videos daily
      Top Fishing Videos
      Village fishing
      Best fishing
      best fishing videos
      fish and fishing
      big fish hunting
      fish lover
      Fish Hunting Videos
      Traditional Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Fishing trend
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      Fished several NE Wright county lakes got on some really nice bass with panfish jigs the smaller the better. Had a flurry for about half hour many largemouth caught. Then did a night bite for the crappies It really pays to move around. Also learned from some on the MInnow or not to minnow thread to upsize I used a small forage minnow spoon with 3-4 spikes that really was the ticket. Thanks all for the help everyone. The fish seem to me to be just starting to move a bit shallower with the warmer weather coming this weekend it should just get better. Most of the fish were in 12-17 feet of water.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some big walleyes caught this week up at Lake of the Woods along with eaters and saugers.  Good fishing still happening 16 - 22 miles out on the ice and most reports are good.  Ice conditions on LOW remain excellent at around 30 inches where most are fishing.  Best colors vary but on sunny days gold has been consistent.  On cloudy days, glow pink, green, orange and chartreuse good colors.  Don't be afraid to downsize presentation if fish are not active.  Small spoon with a minnow head.  A plain hook with a small minnow can be very effective.  Electronics helping anglers catch suspended walleyes.  Pike are getting more active and anglers reporting good success.
      On the Rainy River...   The river is frozen over with snowmobile traffic on marked trail.  Some reports of local anglers catching a few walleyes in the river but most anglers hitting the lake.  Extra caution is always needed on the river, especially with higher current this year.  Thin ice around the International Bridge in Baudette.  Work through resort or know ice conditions if ice fishing the river as ice thickness varies.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing in full swing up at the Angle.  Resorts in 26 - 32' of water.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with some jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  The snowmobile trails from south shore to Angle in great shape.  Jigging with a bait with rattles has helped to pull in walleyes.  Fish houses on the ice through March 31st, walleyes and saugers open through April 14. 

• HoleHoppingGills
      By HoleHoppingGills
      Member only ...looking for some reports near Wright county area or even west and north of there.  Been fishing this small lake out near South Haven and been crushing 9.5 inch gills  and 12 inch crappies the last 2 months.  Went back last week after take a 2 week break and everything was suspended and tiny. Before everything was just off weeds deep and coming from botto....not sure what happened  but fish were loaded like a xmas on the flx28, maybe oxygen levels? First pic of the crappies took me and friend 1 hour and 20 holes... so much fun!!!!

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      Met up with my cousin and his kids today to teach them how catch gills and crappies. The oldest who is 10 caught on quick and out fished his dad by an easy 6 to 1. He caught his personal best gill at 8.5 inches and his personal best crappie that went 12 and 1/16. He called me just now and said he wants me to take him fishing again tomorrow and next weekend. It’s easy fishing when it’s nice and the fish are on the munch.   We fished 10-12 feet of water and we used 3 mm jigs in white, gold, and metallic blue. They used wax worms and I used plastics. Spring bobbers were key for letting the kids see the bites. We kept enough fish for good fish fry for their family and grandparents. This is what it is about getting kids hooked on fishing.
    • The Chemist
      Thanks to 3 guys that were out there to help me land the fish and also take a few pics.
    • The Chemist
      A really good day out. Nice weather and the fish were active. Started out suspended btwn 4-10 ft off the bottom. Then later they were on the bottom. At dark they were back to 8ft off. Left the lake with the depth finder still showing fish.    
    • iiccee63
      Having fished this lake from shore in the summer and my daughter also and did real well, I can't figure why ice fishing is so bad. 2 full days and nothing! 3" perch galore. Moved around and had my camera. Didn't see any life forms whatsoever!!!!! Never coming back. Hardly a soul on the lake on a 43 degree.Sat.??? What?????👎👎👎
    • Mike89
      good luck eyeguy!!!
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Got out today back to the BLA to wrap up my game fish season. Tried spearing again and it Was a great day! I actually spent longer driving there and back then it took my to get my 2 fish. Got some fresh fish for a family fish fry tonight and got to see some dandy burbot and large mouth which doesn’t happen every day. Sure was warm out today I made the mistake of wearing my IA rise suit and that was a mistake should have used the edge suit instead! Ooh well. Enjoy the pics :).
    • smalliehunter
    • smurfy
      👍 thanks. Yea pretty much what I thought. With all the small perch and sunfish, even an occasional sucker on the camera one would figure them pike would be close by. Oh well better than watching the Hallmark channel at home.😉 I'm not far from shallow water.   Some of the perch I'm seeing look like there getting a good size egg sac already.
    • Wanderer
      Good luck @smurfy     They might be shallower?  Hard to leave perch though when they’re thick.
    • Wanderer
      New licenses start on March 1st of the year they’re bought for.  Says the valid date right on the license to avoid questions.     I’m glad there shouldn’t be any issues in my area.  First time in many, many years I’ve left a hard side out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.