• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cliff Wagenbach

Snagger,

A slip bobber with a leech will get plenty of bass and a few walleyes if fished in the shallow rocks and close to docks. Should keep the kids happy!

Mostly small males right now from what I have heard but plenty of fight in them!

Cliff

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• delcecchi

• MarkB

• james_walleye

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty slow walleye weekend for us around Moccasin Point area compared to what we usually do. Managed to put together a fish fry and bring a couple home but had to settle for 14" - 15" to get them. Di

I just returned home from a sweltering 4 day trip on Vermilion. In all of the years that I have fished Lake Vermilion, I don't ever remember it being so hot for so long. We had no top on our boat and

We returned home today from a short 3 day fishing trip on Vermilion. The weather was chilly most of the time and windy during our entire trip. All of the fishing took place on the east end of the lake

Posted Images

Cliff Wagenbach

Shulsebus,

I use a 5' leader with a red, black, pink, or bronze #4 hook on my leech and crawler rigs.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
redlabguy

Definitely a crawler bite for me this morning. And I had good luck on the rocky edges of a reef, my favorite kind of fishing even with occasional snags. 16-20 fow.

Summer is here!

RLG

• Thumbs Up 1
Bigfatbert

Another good a.m bite for me and my wife today , ( Thurs ) on Big bay . Nice fish again . Our limit of keeps , also put two back . 8:00 - noon. . . . 

Hey Cliff , I’m gonna try to send you a p m .

• Thumbs Up 1
Captain Acorn

Been a tough bite the last couple days for me. Catching a few here and there but no consistency. Caught fish on crawlers leechesand jigging raps but for the amount of fish I’m graphing not near enough catching All my bigger fish have came on the jigging raps. How is everyone else doing? 

Edited by Captain Acorn
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was slow for me Tuesday afternoon and Thursday in Frazer / Smarts Bay. Wednesday was very good in 20-25 feet leeches / crawlers on a Lindy or a jig. Absolutely beautiful weather!

• Thumbs Up 2

Was up on the big V for the last week with the family.  First time for all of us on the lake.  And for a newbie, it was really tough fishing all week long.  We did better than every group we talked to in our resort, but that is not saying much.  Because of weather and other things, we fished for on 5 days, and managed just about 5 limits of Walleye total.  Was a great week to be on the lake though, what a beautiful lake, and everything else was awesome.  Just need better information for next visit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spss,

We tried both of those areas quite a bit the last week, pretty tough fishing.  Didn't even really mark that many fish in those 2 areas.  We have much better luck around Raspberry island, but even that was not stellar.  Smallmouth got better as the week went on, and one group in our resort said the Northern Pike were getting hot also, if you want to target them in that area.

Reid Saarela

Bite was OK for us this weekend. Marked tons of fish but they only seemed to bite in small feeding windows due to abundance of mayfly larva down there. When they decided bite, they were inhaling our leeches though.  Rocks next to mud was best for us. Highlight of the weekend was walleye pictured below. 

DD3E0986-6080-4434-8E22-08D08B67F089.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4
Cliff Wagenbach

Nice walleye Reid! How big?

Cliff

Reid Saarela

28.5, but the fattest walleye we’ve seen. My dad and I both agreed it was a bigger fish than my 30 last summer. Wish we would have weighed it but I would rather have the fish swim off healthy! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice fish Reid,

We saw lots of clouds coming out of the mud also, but didn't know what was hatching.  Did see lots of dragonfly's, but not much for fishflies or mayflies in the air.  We didn't have any big fish luck for found keeper fish in the first rock edges around the mud.

A guy in our resort claimed he caught a 32" Walleye, but we didn't see any pic's, so not verified, although had several witnesses that confirmed it.  Would have been nice to see it though.

Reid Saarela

Toddrun,

You are correct. It seems as if it’s still larvea down there in big bay. Have seen very few , if any mayflies in the air. 

That is great, thanks for sharing the pics. I miss the days when my three boys were young and in the boat with me. I hope to have the same good times when my grandchildren get a bit older.  

Snagger, nice report.  Wondering...Did you happen to get a measurement on that ski?? The length seems to go on forever. 

In my rush to get her back into the water I didn't measure. Some guys that have seen the pic think she's well over 50"....may 54"-55". But, I cannot confirm that.

james_walleye

Did that musky have a crook in its back? 2 years ago I caught a 53" not far from there that had a crook in its back like that one seems to. 

James, hard to say if they are the same because there’s no way to match-up the markings of the two fish since different sides are being shown. Color is variable and will change depending on where the fish is holding.  The marking won’t change as they are like fingerprints. I kinda feel like they are different fish mostly because of the fins.  They don’t share the same splits.  Interestingly, we once caught a massive girthed musky of 51” which was caught seven years later by a local Vermilion guide who posted her photo on social media.  Several unique anomalies were apparent confirming it to be the same fish.  I had wondered over the years what became of her and now had the info.  In seven years she only gained another inch and was much leaner than when we caught her in her prime.  Btw, she was caught just a short distance down the shoreline from where we caught her seven years earlier.  Pretty cool to see her again, knowing she was alive and giving other anglers the thrill of a lifetime. Congrats on the 53”! 

• Thumbs Up 1
18 hours ago, snagger said:

I was up at Vermilion with my family last Saturday - Friday. We stayed at Everett's Bay Lodge and also Glenmore. We had an absolute blast. Because I had my two young boys with me the walleye fishing was basically limited to the evening bite. It didn't disappoint and we caught lots of little ones with plenty of eaters mixed in. We mostly used slip bobbers with leeches in 2'-6'. We had a surprise catch while bobber fishing. A BIG musky clamped on to one of the walleyes that my son was reeling in and we actually got her in the net! My boys were thrilled. After a quick photo she was released.

I also spent a fair amount of time chasing smallies and did very well once I figured out the cover that was holding the most and biggest fish.

Great trip.....wish I was there right now.

55-inch.JPG

HolyCow!.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

Paul - We enjoyed hosting you and Maria and your boys.  Love how serious they are about their fishing, and glad they could enjoy a little pool time too.  Look forward to seeing you all again next year.

• Thumbs Up 1
redlabguy

Nice bunch of photos! That’s a happy boat!

My brother-in-law and I caught our limits of 14-17”-ers in less than two hours this morning in eastern Big Bay. 28-30 fow with leeches. He also caught a 22”. First time I’ve been over there this year... too busy cutting up a bunch of downed trees from the early June storm. We were lucky- the first two spots I wanted to fish had boats on them but the third spot was great.

and PSU, as we left the dock, I saw hundreds of dead mayflies that had blown into our little Bay. I noticed they look a lot like hundreds of dead minnows if you aren’t real close. I’m hoping that’s what you saw and that it wasn’t evidence of spiny waterfleas.

Dick

Yes, I looked at them pretty closely Dick and I was pretty sure they were minnows, sort of skeleton-like...It was weird because they were very noticeable on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning and then didn't see another trace on Thursday, and I was out on the water fishing quite a bit. They were pretty evident in The Narrows and deeper spots in Smarts and in Frazer. Hopefully it was just some sort of short-term anomaly and not evidence of anything to be concerned with....

Bigfatbert
5 hours ago, PSU said:

Yes, I looked at them pretty closely Dick and I was pretty sure they were minnows, sort of skeleton-like...It was weird because they were very noticeable on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning and then didn't see another trace on Thursday, and I was out on the water fishing quite a bit. They were pretty evident in The Narrows and deeper spots in Smarts and in Frazer. Hopefully it was just some sort of short-term anomaly and not evidence of anything to be concerned with....

Do you know what decaying Mayflies look like when they are in the water floating ???

i would put money on it that you were just seeing Mayfly carcass in various state of decay , they do kind of look like minnow carcasses , skeleton like..

As for your here today gone tomorrow , the wind and/or current will blow them around and pile them up in certain areas .

i will assure you that they are not Young of the year Perch minnows that are possibly choking on Spiney Water Flea .

Goodness !!!!

Cliff Wagenbach

They could have been young-of-the-year perch but my guess is that they were the husks of May Fly larvae

that the adults had shed when hatching. They look very close to being dead, decayed minnows!

Cliff

Edited by Cliff Wagenbach
  • Thumbs Up 2
FishinCT

My amateur opinion only but I don't think there are enough water fleas yet to cause that kind of problem. I've hardly seen any on my lines the last few years. When I fished the great lakes a lot I would have to clean my line off every 15-20 casts. I just don't see that on V. Maybe others do?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, my first thought was that it was mayfly carcasses as I do know what they look like (been on the lake many years)and tried to look closely from my boat. They just didn't appear to be, but from the feedback it appears that's what they were. They were very prevalent, thus I am sure if it was something more concerning (dead minnows from fleas as my friend commented), another poster more experienced in lake ecosystems than I would have mentioned it..... 

We can now return to fishing reports as we are looking forward to coming up next week!

delcecchi

Launching my buddies pontoon at access near the landing... smelly for some reason.   Looks like a bunch of dead mayflies along the shore... That could be it. 

• Rick changed the title to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • Rick pinned this topic