• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

RedLab & PSU,

I have been catching fish in the deeper rocks using lindy rigs with pike suckers or 1/2 crawlers. 2-1/2 ft. leaders.

Adding a small pink or chartreuse float next to the hook helps to avoid a lot of hang-ups.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Man, seeing the reports from Mark, Casey, and Cliff really show what a poor fisherman I am! Nothing but a perch, stick (thought it was a whopper), and a nice tan for me over the last few days!

Fished rock piles (marked fish) with leeches and worms in the Frazer Bay area this morning to no avail!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Friends,

Heading up Thursday for a bit of golf and fishing over the weekend. Any fishing updates from the Frazer Bay/Smart's Bay area?

Thanks

Andy

Is it the time of year, the forum split, bad fishing? Where is everyone? Basically silence for like ten days.

Edited by delcecchi
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fished this past weekend.  Lots of clouds of baitfish in Wakem Up and marks on the bottom in 25 feet around the reefs but no biters.  Caught a few smallmouth near Turtle Island.  I was thinking my finder is on Demo mode but I read Mark B.'s reports and it sounds like that's what he sees.  He's way better at catching.

I don't usually post much because Cliff, Casey and Mark B usually cover it,but since there has not been much said lately, I will pitch in. Fish are on  most reefs,with the smaller ones on the easier places to fish. Larger fish and rocks continue to relate to each other.Lindys with a leech or crawler are effective. Slip bobbers have worked very well ,outfishing lindys at times. I have even hovered over schools of fish and had results. There are fish to be had with crank bait presentations,Lead core ,downriggers or boards. All will work now. Believe in your electronics. Large schools are available..If they dont bite,they are probably perch and small walleyes,move on to another spot. Good luck

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

Will be up for a week next week and will fish mostly from west side of wakeumup narrows to fectos area.  Kids and I like to catch smallies if things are slow for eyes.  Any areas to lock in for them.  Thanks a bunch

For what it is worth I got a 17  and a 19 inch largemouth in Norwegian Bay this afternoon.  Right together on consecutive casts, wacky senko on a jig.  Right near shore. 

Not telling the exact spot for obvious reasons. 

I would have eaten them if I thought it would help the walleye, but released them instead.  No pics, since I was by myself. 

• Thumbs Up 2

And this evening , a big smallie, on a rocpile with a wacky senko, in Head-o-lakes.

Thanks Del,  just looking for fishy spots,  we normally do shoreline stuff with minimal results.  The kids usually go wacky style as well.  so maybe i should look for more hump, rocks, etc.  Thanks again.  cant wait to see polley and the gang.

Yeah, there is a lot of shoreline that is a waste of time.  Actually the very best way to get bass on various rockpiles involves a bobber and a leech.  It makes a great scout tool, since if the leech doesn't get eaten, there aren't any bass in the area. 

The reefs closer to some sort of shoreline seem to be better, btw.  I might give the merry go round a try today and see if there are any bass there.  A swim senko texsposed with a small slip sinker or maybe on a jig also seems to do pretty well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tomorrow's finally the day for me. I'll probably drop the boat in about 11 am and be on big bay behind moose island for the weekend. Any tips? I plan on pulling lindy rigs around structure about 18 to 28 feet. There is a lot more water then I am used to fishing. looking for some any help to finding some active fish and I'm ready to look for em. Thanks in adavance guys been reading all the posts and love all the information people are willing to put out.

Edited by Mbarbeau
Im dumb and cant spell

Find the most recent posts by Cliff and MarkB.

I feel like a broken record, or for the younger crowd, like a vine clip.

Mbarbeau,

If you are seeking smallies I suggest that you add a pink or orange float next to your hook to suspend your bait off of the bottom and rocks.

Works well for walleyes also!

Cliff

Cliff, it sounds like Mark mostly only fishes where he sees them on the locator.  Do you also? 

Del,

Most of the time that is true for me also.

There are always a few exceptions but not at this time of the year when the walleyes are easy to spot.

Cliff

• 1 month later...

How has September been treating you Cliff?

September has been mostly a great month!

The wind has sucked though!:P

The past week or so has been tough but we are still getting walleyes by fishing a lot of spots each day. Usually get two or three at a spot then have to move.

We fished a total of 6 spots today and managed to boat 14 walleyes. 8 nice keepers and one 21-1/2" fish.

All were caught on minnows today! We even caught about 1/2 of them on jigs/minnows! First ones on a jig this fall.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a fun bite! Glad to hear the fish are snapping, it should hopefully keep getting better through fall. It's been really windy in the cities too - I've been trying to take my kayak out on some smaller local lakes to chase bass. I will be up on Vermilion in 3 weeks so hopefully the fish are putting on the feedbags.

No real hot bite going at this time. Just need to do a lot of hunting for fish and then trying to catch them!

3 weeks from now you should hit the peak of the fall bite!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Cliff thanks a ton for taking me out and showing me how to catch fish. We sure got into them for  a while before the big winds ruined are fun. I hope you get some good use out of the goodies I brought.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was up last weekend for a 3 day trip. water temps were anywhere from 65-62. Fishing wasn't fast and furious but managed to catch some quality ones. our best depth was 28-32 and most were caught off a jig and minnow. I had some luck with # 7 jigging raps as well. We were also catching fish using #5 shad raps but the fish seemed smaller when we were trolling. I probably moved more this weekend then I have in a long time because it seemed like I couldn't get on a really consistent bite. the classic vermilion 1 and done a lot of places. Its only going to get better from here so good luck out there and be safe as I'm sure the markers around the lake will be pulled off soon

• Thumbs Up 1

did that jig bite heat up this weekend?

I have been using jigs and Lindys equally with about the same bite.

Good fishing!!

Cliff

I understand that this web forum is FISHING minnesota, but I'm curious to know about grouse populations this fall.  I'm coming up in a couple weeks to walk a few trails with my dog, and wondered if there is any local chatter about bird counts.  Thx

It sounds like grouse numbers are about average.

Still tough hunting though as there are still a lot of leaves on the trees and brush.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Cliff.   I view grouse hunting as a walk in the woods with my dog, birds are a bonus....I'm still waiting until late October when more leaves are down, however!

Thinking about heading heading up this weekend. Has the bite been pretty consistant? Water temps?

The bite has been fairly consistent.

The walleyes are on the move, you just have to locate them to get bit!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was pinned