• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A little different report, we fished shallow most of the time, '7 to '15 feet of water. Lindy rigs with rainbow and fat heads. We went out at 8pm fished until about 2am, got our limit both Saturday and Sunday. The good thing about fishing then was, no traffic and no wind, and we fished just accross the bay we were staying at. Didn't catch a dang thing during the day.

Just a quick picture to go along with my earlier report. I had such a blast watching my 7 year old son saturday. He caught multiple fish on his own saturday morning lindy rigging and then played this beauty perfectly after it sunk the lighted bobber.

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg

What a great photo of you and your son(and the BIG 'eye). He will never get younger and you have to cherish this moment with you and your son and glad you got a photo.

What a great father and son photo. Of course the nice 'eye added to it. But what a great bonding experience for you with your son. Count yourself lucky to have to have the opportunity to fish with him. Scoring a big fish is the frosting on the cake!

StllFishin'

Very nice!

Great fish and great times with your son!

Cliff

full-28432-20598-img_3410.jpg

Just returned from fishing 3 days on Vermilion. 3 of us caught 7 eyes Saturday morning, including the 26" pictured that my brother-in-law caught. Fished alone Sunday morning and evening and caught 6 eyes and 2 perch. Monday morning I caught one eye at 4:45 a.m. and that was it. Other than the 26" walleye, we had 3 dinks and the rest were 13-14". Pretty slow for us, and I only saw one other boat bring a fish in (although I don't watch other boats much).

James_Walleye - you gonna be up there this coming wknd? I am coming up on Thurs night late and want to hook up for and cold one and some fishing stories. I am just down the shore from ya East of Bayview about 10 cabins. Email me when you get a chance - [email protected]

The traditional Pike Bay dock bite for us did not produce many walleyes as in years past. Had a little more sucess trolling raps in Pike Bay during the evening on Saturday and Sunday, but still well below what I have experienced during past openers. So we then traveled out to deeper water on Monday and found nice 15-17 inch walleyes in 38-42 feet of water. Lindy rig w/red hook, used a mix of rainbows and chubs. I had a water temp yesterday afternoon of 60 degrees in Big Bay and 66 degrees in Pike Bay.

We caught our limits on Saturday. Most of our fish were caught close to 30 feet during the day. My largest was just under 27", caught in the evening at first dark in 12ft.

Thanks to Cliff for giving me some great advice.

Something that I forgot to mention from last weekend......i caught a couple males that were milting all over the boat. That surprised me. Is that a normal occurence up there on opener?

I also had a couple that did the same thing. I never fished the opener before this year, so I don't know if that is normal.

That is quite normal for the males on the opener. Some years about half of the males will still have milt in them.

Cliff

Well, we're in Glenwood lodge on the NE side of V; caught about a dozen tonite...kept 2-14's, 2-16's, released a 19 this evening. Good start. Jigs, lindys and rainbows.

I got two in the slot, 20 and 22, this evening near Metsa point in about 12 feet. Saw several others caught. Water temp was 56 degrees. All on west end.

I have heard only one secondhand report that both worked well on the opener.

I have not tried either myself.

Cliff

The first week of the season has been absolutely phenomenal! I've been stuck on going to the deep mud for the past several days and the walleyes have been most cooperative. We usually start early(today we were there first) and leave around noon. At one time today, we counted 32 boats scattered over a fairly wide area. There's no big trick to catching these fish. We saw people using lindy's, no-snags, bottom bouncers, jigs, 3 ways with a drop sinker, you name it, they were using it, and everyone was catching fish shocked I have never seen so many people catching so many fish at the same time! Everywhere you looked people were netting fish and it's been that way all week! You might think, with that many boats, that there would be problems, but not so. Everyone I have observed has been totally courteous and thoroughly enjoying the fantastic fishing. I like rainbows, but guess what, it doesn't make a nickels worth of difference! They will hit any minnow you drop down to them. My advice, buy the cheapest minnows you can find! The fish are regurgitating mayfly nymphs, so I imagine crawlers would work just as well. The quality of the fish has been consistently good. 15"-16"+ are the soup of the day, and slot fish show up periodically. The best walleye we have caught this past week has been 23", but we have caught numerous 17"-20" walleyes. Bonus jumbos are around and are right there with the walleyes. At times, especially early, the bite appears to be smaller 14"-15" fish but the bigger fish eventually show up. Depths remain 30'-40'. Water temps are getting warmer daily. Today at 6:30, the temp was 55 degrees, by noon it was 60 degrees. This bite should last awhile and if you ever wanted to think you know what your doing, this is definitely the time!

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Just checking to see if anyone has a report on the West end. Be up there in a couple days, and wondering about walleye, crappie and maybe bass.

So Cliff and others: how's the bite comparatively to other years.

MarkB said it all!!!

Great fishing is being had by all that are out there!

Mark, stop and say hi when you spot me out there! Not sure what your rig looks like!

Cliff

Cliff, I think you may have eaten too many bad morels laugh You have said hi to my wife every day you have been out there. I always talk but I think you like to talk to the women wink I fished side by side with you today, black Lund, 150 Verado, I'm the big virile good looking guy blush I'll make sure you know it's me tomorrow grin

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Mark,

I kind of thought that may have been you! I remember your wife saying HI.

See you tomorrow if the wind is not to nasty!

Cliff

Got two in the slot yesterday evening off Metsa point (out from the stone wall along the channel. There were half a dozen boats out there.

I made a circle towards black bay but couldn't figure out which place is yours. I presume one without stairs....

Any tourney results? Curious what cashed a check.

Local guides Casey Sunsdahl and Dave Schaefer took the whole prize!

7.62 pound walleye plus five 15" walleyes in their bag!

Won biggest fish,and also set a new weight record for the contest!

Well done Dave and Casey! Your hard scouting really paid off!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for congratulations! It was a special day for us... We caught a fat 28.5 incher at 11AM and finished out the day with 16-17 inchers..... picture perfect

Capt. Casey

full-19099-20718-cityautoglass2012.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Is this front going to "shut em down" on Sunday? Would still like to get out if the winds not too bad.

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned