• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mark,

I did not get out until around 1:30pm today.

We fished 3-1/2 hours and only boated one 10" walleye and one jumbo perch!

Guess that is why they call it fishing!!! cry

Cliff

Well, I bet you can count on one hand the number of times that happens to you in an entire season! Hey Cliff, I forgot to say in my last post that there is a buoy gone on the SE corner of Nyberg Island. I was tooling by there this morning and noticed it was missing. The musky fishermen fish that buoy non-stop and the ones who don't know the lake might run into trouble. Do you know who to contact?

MarkB smile

Yes, call Lauren Sawatsky or Sherri at (i am pretty sure) 666-5512 or email Bubba at accessmn.com

I had good luck this weekend pulling lead core this weekend when I could get out. It was pretty rough out there on sunday but that was the best day by far. Caught most of mine running shads in about 20 fow. 2.6 was the trolling speed they were biting on. Yesterday was beutiful out there but with the nice calm weather the fishing wasnt near as good. I have been having the most luck with jointed #5 shad raps.

Had a chance to do some Walleye fishing with my son on Sunday and Monday. He was using a jig and 1/2 a crawler, I was using a Lindy rig with 1/2 a crawler. He was out fishing me 3 to 1 before I changed over to a jig and then we matched each other fish for fish. Found the Walleye on sand adjacent to rock along the shoreline. Surprised to see such few people out fishing this holiday weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a week off and just got back yesterday. Yesterday morning, 8:00AM air temperature was 34 degrees at my house. Water temp at my dock was 60.8 degrees. Daisy Bay was a bit colder than Big Bay and when I started fishing at 10:30, Big Bay was 63.8 degrees. The fish hated me! I caught 3 dinks and one 16" walleye. Only had 2 other hits. The part about the "dinks" that I actually like is the proof that we have some up and comers. The reef I was fishing was wall to wall 10"-12" walleyes. Today, however, they were gone cool. I got out at about 8:00(it was warmer) and tried the spot where I saw Cliff yesterday. Cliff obviously has those walleyes trained, because I couldn't get a hit eek. Actually, I didn't get a hit anywhere I tried and, so, I went home and hung storm windows cry. I went back out around 2:00 and fished where I did yesterday.The bite was on! I caught six walleyes including a 19.5", 23", and 4 others between 16" and 16.99999" whistle. 2 of those will be supper in just a few minutes grin. 2 really nice trophy bass rounded out the afternoon. All fish were caught on 1/2 crawler. The bass and the two slot walleyes were caught in 17'of water. The 4 others were all caught in 29' of water. The "eater" sized walleyes would grab the crawler and just hold on to it. They were very difficult to hook and I missed more than usual. All in all, it was a great day to be out!

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Headed up the big V last weekend and what a weekend it was. Did great both Friday and Saturday on the eyes. Picked up about 30 eyes a day per boat

including this dandy 29 1/2" probably could have made 30 if I measured it like the DNR does laugh. I left in in there for you guys. The day bite was very good on the lead core. Live bait rig with 4 to 5' snell for the morning bite in 8 to 18 fow with a full crawler was working good. Lead core was hitting in 15 to 25 fow trolling 2.5 to 2.75 mph.full-38758-12392-100_1311.jpg

Beautiful trophy walleye Chaunceye! It's fun when things go right,huh? I have a question regarding your post. We don't use lead core for our fishing but I do understand the color gradation: each color(~10 yards) represents 5' down etc. etc. My question is this: were you using lead core to fish bait rigs in 8'-18' and, if so, why? Lastly, are you saying that you were pulling live bait rigs using lead core trolling 2.5-2.75mph? The reason for my questions is the near complete opposite to my standard fishing methods. If I get even close to 1mph while fishing live bait rigs like you described, I think I'm going too fast. .5mph-.8mph is the speed zone that has worked best for me. Keep up the good work.

Good Fishing,

MarkB

smile

Awesome looking fish. Couple questions if you don't mind. General area? west side? or east side? Trolling leadcore, were you pulling cranks or spinners with crawlers? thanks Dave

Sorry for the confusion. I should have explained myself better. I only pull crank baits with the leadcore. I dont pay much attention to the color of line because I have them rigged up with linecounter reels. I tend to run them 120- 140 ft of line. With the leadcore I tie a 5 ft 8lb powerpro snell on the end. Vermilion is a tougher lake to use this method because of all the structure. Because the speed will affect the running depth of the crank baits I run them till they are ticking bottom then reel up a couple of times. If fish are suspended I will find bottom and work my way up, not a perfect sience but it seems to work. With using this method I tend to donate a couple of lures every weekend frown but its worth it to be able to cover alot of ground. With live bait rigging I always try to keep it at the .5-.8 mph as well. I was over in big bay this last weekend.

Does anyone have an update on the walleye fishing in the last day or two? Is the west end giving up a few walleyes? Cliff, do you have an update on the east end? Have the walleyes switched from crawlers to minnows yet? Any update is greatly appreciated.

It was too cold, wet and windy yesterday to stick my hand in the minnow bucket but they're still hitting half a crawler on the east end.

Spent Monday & Tuesday of this week on the water. Tough bite. Mostly fished west to middle of lake. Was able to get a few keepers but very slow for the most part. Never got a fish on a jig or on minnows. Everthing came on Lindy's with half a crawler.

The past couple of days have been a very slow bite for me on the East end.

The ones that we have been getting are hitting 1/2 crawler or a minnow on lindys. Also getting a stray fish using jigs at times.

Cliff

Will be hittin' it hard the next few days, if I see you out there Cliff we will have to compare notes! The forecast looks good for the next week, so hopefully the fall bite starts up.

These past 4-5 days have been a pretty tough bite for us. Kinda like a rewind to mid-August. Catch one and then beat the water like a musky fisherman trying to get another hit grin. Today, we tried new territory, finally found the fish, and I totally screwed eveything up! cry We decided to try an area that we fish mainly in the spring. The few fish that we have been catching have been on minnows and so that's what we baited up with. We both got hits in ~25'. Two misses later and with fresh bait, my wife caught a 14" crappie! I followed up with a 16" walleye, missed a fish, and caught a 15.5" walleye. Now, most days, I keep the bucket in the boat and dip the minnows when they start sticking their heads out of the water. Today, I decided to drop the bucket overboard and drag it. Upon pulling up my bucket, I discovered that my habit of leaving the "door" open works only while the bucket is in the boat. No minnows! Pretty much shot our morning trip in the foot. We tried crawlers for awhile but my confidence this morning was with the minnows. Oh well, at least they were going pretty good before I lost all the bait. blush

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

We had a great day yesterday! Boated 25 walleyes and kept 12 nice ones. Largest was a 23 incher.

All were caught on a bait rig with large minnows.

This afternoon was a different story, only boated 8 walleyes and kept 3 but got 7 bonus jumbo perch!

Not a fish on crawlers!

The best depth was 23 to 31 feet but caught a couple as deep as 36 feet.

Cliff

Skunked AGAIN for walleyes on Saturday......I must really be a poor fisherman and unfortunately "guys weekend" coming up next weekend and I am sort of "the guide".

My Folks came up for fall visit and my Dad, wife, and myself went out this morning. What a fabulous day! Fall colors, eagles, juvenile loons, and cooperative walleyes! It was as about as good as it gets. We used both minnows and 1/2 crawlers this morning and the crawlers out produced the minnows 2:1. No slot fish, but we caught 20, in ~4 hours, that measured 13.5"-14.5". All of us thoroughly enjoyed it! I kept enough for supper and released the rest. The depth ranged from 20'-27' with ~23' being the most productive. We missed lots of fish in addition to what we boated. Water temperature was 57.8 degrees and the wind was calm to light out of the NE. My Dad always seems to bring luck with him and he certainly came thru today. wink

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

The morning bite was great also for us! 15 walleyes boated, kept one limit of 16.5' walleyes and released 7 slot fish. All were caught on large minnows again today.

Cliff

Mark,

I am your long-lost uncle. Can you take me out tomorrow?

I did some chores this AM and had very little success this afternoon. The few we caught were on 1/2 crawler at mid-20s. Minnows didn't work for my wife.She doesn't do crawlers.

RLG

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned