• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good bite for me yesterday.Six wallies from 16-21 inches.Three on leadcore 20-24 feet,three on cranks in 12 ft of water and two smallies 17-18 inches..fishing mid lake..

Cliff if you can throw me a bone been up since Saturday and its been tough. What part of the East end are you fishing the shorelines at and are you pulling spinners or lindy's? Staying on West end but we are making the trek down to the East end in morning hoping to get into some fish. Any help would be appreciated we were with one of your guide buddies on Monday and about got shunked fished 8 hours for 3 fish so any insight would be appreciated. Can check this post once we get to the East end and have cell reception or a text would be fine also 5072363107. Thanks for any help from anyone.

Tracey

Tracey,

I have been fishing the South shore of Pine Island this week out side of the Cantfield Portage Bay area. 17' to 23'. Lindys or gold spinners with 1/2 crawler. Not a fast and furious bite but getting a few fish each outing.

Cliff

I'm finally getting back up there with the fam late tonight. I'll only have a couple of hours to fish tomorrow morning and then off to the in-laws and the Embarrass Fair for the rest of the weekend. What species has been the most consistently active lately. I don't really care what I catch, since I am limited on time but I just need to boat something. I am bringing gear for smallies, walleye and musky.

Right now is probably your best chance of the summer to boat a musky!

Walleyes are very slow for me.

Smallies are probably the next best option right now.

Cliff

Folks in camp here are catching walleye without alot of trouble, would tell you but not sure where myself other than near Spring Bay resort...

Well after the big engine wouldn't start without jumping the battery, gapping the spark plugs and using some starter fluid I got out on the lake at 6. Only to find the trolling motor had been left on by some friends that were up here. By 7:30 I was at a spot and fought four nice smallies. A bad start but a fun result. Thanks for the direction.

My wife and I have been having trouble for the past few weeks finding a consistent bite. Everywhere we went, shallow, deep, rocks, sand, mud, it was the same thing: catch a walleye and then work the area to death with no more hits in spite of plenty of fish on the sonar. It was like they sacrified one shocked and then, that was it. The past few days, however, have really turned around for us. My Dad and Mom came up for a visit at the end of last week, and things got wayyyyy better grin. We finally found the August bite I've been searching for the past month. We have done two basic things differently since my Dad came up last week: First, I removed the float from our bottom bouncer rig. It made a world of difference on the number of hits per outing. coolSecondly, I have almost abandoned the shallower water and am concentrating on water 26'-30'. I think the shallowest fish caught during the past 3 days has been 26'. It seems that if I find a concentration of fish in say 17'-20', we are catching the "biters" in the adjacent deeper water. They still show up on the sonar, but as single fish. We have caught several slot fish to 23"( my wife got a 23", 22.5", and 20" this morning)and the "eaters" have been 15"-16.5"!!! I mean, for us, it just doesn't get any better than that! whistle I'm hoping that this isn't a temporary thing, but who knows? All of our fish have been caught on 1/2 crawler(Vermilion Food and Fuel has the biggest crawlers you can buy!!), 1oz bouncer, 3'-4' leader, chartreuse #6 hook with 2.5"-3" stinger, and lime bead. The bigger fish have been gagging up 3" perch minnows in the landing net sick The nice "eaters" that I have filleted are full of crawdads. Additionally, we have caught some HUGE smallmouth bass at the same depths we have been catching the walleyes.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

MarkB,

Very interesting and conflicting results between our reports! You have been doing better on deeper fish and I have not been able to get a fish deeper then 26 feet to bite! Sure wish the deep bite would develop in my haunts soon!

Cliff

Dang it, you guys! Not dang it-YOU GUYS- but dang it! A small gold hammered spinner, red beads, red hook worked great the last few days. 15-25 ft. I took chartruesse out of play and now I find out I should have been using chartruesse today.Is that French? Chartruesse. OK not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'll be using chartreusse (rhow do you spell this?) tomorrow and thanks Mark and Cliff for the help. A guy needs help these days. I'm glad to see some fish reacting even if it is not consistent.

RLG

Both red hook and red bead and chartreuse hook and bead worked for my wife and I this morning. 20 to 32 ft. Thanks for the bottom bouncer idea- fewer snags.

RLG

MarkB -

How many of your fish are you getting on the stinger hook vs. the bait hook? I seem to be getting a lot of short-bites, and i've thought about using a stinger, but i've been worried that it will cause extra snag issues.

thanks...

There are days that produce a fairly high % on the stinger, sometimes 3:1. However, the stats may be a bit distorted because, I hit the fish way sooner when using a stinger. When the fish are really going, it seems they always hit the front end of the crawler eliminating the need for one. I way prefer no stinger, yellow/orange floater, lime bead, plain #6 hook when fishing half-crawlers. The float pretty much eliminates "most" snags and almost all crawdads. We got into some snaggy bottom today and had to add the floats just to keep the baits out of the rocks. The fish were hitting good enough we eliminated the stingers crazy. It's exactly as Cliff said yesterday, you have to take each day and each location separately and adapt to whatever it takes to catch the fish grin.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Good to hear some positive reports. You guys finding time of day making a difference?

Early in the AM is usually best, but walleyes being walleyes, yesterday my best bite was at 10:00am.

11:00 am to 1:00 pm is also a good time on Vermilion!

Cliff

Heading up to Vermillion tomorrow with my youngest son(19) and do our 3rd annual muskie hunt for 8 Days. We will be camping in a rustic USFS campsite on the east side. If you see 2 people and a yellow lab in a black 1900 Pro V give a wave..... For eyes we are sticking to our traditional methods every labor day and troll crankbaits...works every time...Good Luck to all those who venture out this Labor Day Weekend!!!

My clients and I did very well yesterday.

Boated 16 and kept 12 in around 4 hours.

16' to 23 '. Lindy/floater/1/2 crawler.

Cliff

The change in the weather seems to have helped the bite. Few people catch 'em like Cliff, and I'm not one of them, but we had a good day yesterday evening boating 10 for 5 eaters.20-27.ft. Bottom bouncers and small gold spinner worked well.

RLG

Thanks Redlabguy! Sounds like you also did well!

Went out alone this morning and boated 11 eyes and a jumbo in 4 hours.

Kept my limit of 4, 15" to 16" walleyes plus the jumbo. Finally, a meal of fresh fish for ME! laugh

Cliff

I hope you enjoy a good dinner. I am frying fish right now, too. The AM bite was good today, too. Nice to be able to bring fish home!

RLG

I'll be on the lake tomorrow morning. Saw something unique on the way up tonight. Just north of cotton there were police and ambulances. A flatbed was being directed in as we were stopped on 53. It backed up and we were looking to see what the car looked like. Instead we saw a rather large bull moose lying on the shoulder. I can only imagine what the vehicle looked like. I wish I could have stopped to see it. I had never seen one. I assume this is a fairly rare occurrence.

I'll be on the lake tomorrow morning. Saw something unique on the way up tonight. Just north of cotton there were police and ambulances. A flatbed was being directed in as we were stopped on 53. It backed up and we were looking to see what the car looked like. Instead we saw a rather large bull moose lying on the shoulder. I can only imagine what the vehicle looked like. I wish I could have stopped to see it. I had never seen one. I assume this is a fairly rare occurrence.

I see a few Moose a year. See tracks all the time in the woods. It would make sense that there are moose by cotton, as its swampy around there.

I've saw a few on 53 in the cotton area over the years. One huge bull just south standing by the creek in canyon. There was a small bull dead on the highway there last year. I think it was a bull anyway, driving by it looked as if the antlers were chopped off.

What a beautiful day! grin Cool morning, 41 degrees when I left my dock, water temperatures dropping to 66.7 degrees in Big Bay this morning, and hungry walleyes cool. Cliff posted yesterday that he's catching them in 16'-21'. We caught our fish in 23'-25' early. We tried a couple "new" spots and went back to where we started and they had dropped down to 28'-30'. 16'-30' is a pretty sizeable zone and, if the adjacent structure suits them, the walleyes should be catchable for everyone. I also caught them on a half crawler but I have observed other boats the past few days catching them on minnows and lots of people downrigging crankbaits successfully. The walleyes we found today were really going whistle. Our best was 18.5" and we caught several 15.5"-16.5". My wife caught a 36" Northern on a half crawler and it came into the net like a log with absolutely no fight at all. One small mouth bass rounded out the morning. We came in around 1:00 and we were amazed at the lack of boats for Labor Day. I'm beginning to see small congregations of boats where I expect to see them in mid to late September. I would guess that the bite is going good for pretty much everyone by now.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Good report! In my first season on V this was the worst weekend I had. It's the first time we didn't have a fish fry. It's hard to get on a consistent bite when I only get about 3 hours in the AM and a bit in the evening with kids that would rather swim than fish! Things change so much in 2 weeks. I can never find them in the same places. Marked a ton of fish Saturday AM but couldn't get anything but dinks. I guess I have a lot to learn yet out there.

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned