• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fished for two hours this morning...six nice keepers...west end near Niles. 15 to 17 FOW...lindy rig...crawler or a leech...didn't seem to matter, though the leech stayed on better with all the perch and bluegill peckers....slow was the key

Headed up Tuesday for a week long trip. Planning on targeting walleyes, smallmouth bass, and muskies for the week on the west and east side. From what I've seen on here the walleyes have been hitting lindy's with a crawler or leech and the muskies have been slow. Any tips for the smallies?

I'll post reports every other day probably, hopefully with good things to say!

Was up on Vermillion's east end for July 16-21. Fished nearly every morning and evening. Tried the whole darn tackle box and every sunken island, point and otherwise obvious outcropping I could find on the GPS. We STRUGGLED to boat eyes. Four keepers all week and two dinks that went back. It was 85 degrees in Pike's Bay one day, so I'm fairly certain the heat had something to do with it. Sounds like nobody else did much better during that time. I even outfished a guide one day (pure luck)! We were so desperate for fish that we travled to Shagawa based on a friend's report and wound up getting skunked there, too.

Oh...and WHAT'S WITH ALL THE GAL-DARN CRAWFISH??!?!?!? I've never, ever caught a craw while fishing before but, I kid you not, we hauled in at least 30 or 40 over the week. Utterly ridiculous. I wish I woulda kept them...at least we would have had something for shore lunch!

I was up over the weekend - did a little exploring over a couple of nights. The thermocline is set up at 24ft in Head o Lakes Bay. Tons of baitfish, hooks and whatever in the main basin- I thought my locater was broken- only reading 8-12 feet over 50 feet. 73 degree temps with decent water clarity. Lots of muskie guy's out.

I managed one muskie in the net and lost one at the net- fishing solo. I fished weeds and rock- Caught them in the lip whistle

Walleye guys were fishing some of the shallower stuff again.

Is there a thermocline on Wakemup Bay- I have not seen any sign of it up by Taylors Island heading towards Niles Bay.

Lots of nice green cabbage right to the surface and lots of tobaco cabbage-the weed beds seem to be getting bigger and deeper on the West end over the last few years.

I am looking forward to fishing in the cooler months comming up.

Keep a look out for my boat Green Lund Mr Pike w/115 Yamaha fishing the West end. I have an open seat for a netman fishing partner on many nights/mornings- May even spill my guts to you on the water grin

Good Luck

Steve

Steve that's good there is alot of tobacco cabbage around as when the rusties get over there they should leave that alone while they decimate the small leaved cabbage.

What is working better on the East end right now, minnows. leeches, or crawlers? Any luck shallow at night? Thanks!

Lunker,

I have been getting all of my walleyes on the East End using crawlers on a bait rig. Tried minnows yesterday and caught no fish using them! I could feel the walleyes pecking at them but they would not eat them.

Cliff

Gee's I've got a lot of leeches in the refrig and want to use them up. Cliff(or any one else), have you tried leeches and how do they campare to catchablilty with crawlers?

StillFishin'

Leeches are still the number one bait to use under a bobber on the reefs.

Have not had much luck when I tried them with a rig lately.

Cliff

Any particular insite on depths for walleye for some daytime rigging? Have not fished the Lake this year but headed up to Hoo Doo Point on Sunday for three days. Don't know the Lake well but have a few places of my own but have generally fished earlier or later in the year. May also try some cranking depending on the wind. Lots of ground to cover that's for sure!

The most productive depths for day time rigging in Big Bay has been 16 to 26 feet this week.

Crawlers have been working best for me.

Cliff

Still very slow for my clan here in between Frazer and Smart's Bay. No walleyes in 2 days using leeches and worms trying all depths.......

Some nice smallies are being caught while fishing on the rocky reefs in 10 to 20 feet using lindys or drop-shot rigs baited with a whole crawler.

Cliff

Cliff, it sounds like you've been catching some smallies while fishing for walleyes on the reefs.

just back from 4 days on the water...

a handful of keepers each morning, a couple each evening...Lindy rig with crawlers..a couple on leeches.

the perch, sunfish and crawfish were tearing up the bait...went through a bunch of crawlers to get the walleyes.

as an aside, caught over 200 crawfish on the dock with an old minnow trap...couldn't believe the size of some of them...8 inches long!!!

we boiled a bunch and had some seafood omelets and a few deep fried with the walleyes and onion rings...pretty tasty!!!

Fishhead,

I have only caught a few smallies but the guys that are targeting them on the rocks have done well!

Cliff

airmuts,

The walleye bite is still very slow for me!

Cliff

And if it is slow for Cliff, ordinary folks might as well go bass fishing. frown

Been fishing the north and east side of Pine island and over by the trout lake portage trolling crankbaits in 15-20 f.o.w. Doing very well, one fish every 20 minutes to 1/2 hour....gave up on live bait... the crayfish will bleed you dry.

Hope you don't mind sharing trolling passes with other boats. If you weren't already, now you will be smile (It won't be me as I fish exclusively on the West side)

Thanks for the report. Good to see that there are still some fish to be caught out there.

Zebra

Mind if I ask what kind of cranks you have been having luck with? I bought a bunch of deep diving X-Raps today at Cabelas as I figured I would have to go deep and try to locate them.

I have also been doing very well pulling crankbaits in the last two weeks. Mainlake

mudflats and windblown breaks can be very good locations this time of the season. The best depths for me have been 18 to 25ft, buy if you can get deeper with lead or downriggers the fish are there as well. There are a lot of different cranks that will work, but I really like number 9 shad raps. I'd tell you my favorite color, but then I'd have to kill you...haha

"Ace"

Well I arrived Saturday and have been out fishing three times since. Very good sucess having boated 12 walleyes with 5 in the slot. Caught 3 that were 21 inches. Same technique since last time I was up July 4th. Slip bobbering with leeches RIGHT on the bottom in 19-22 FOW. Bobber has to be horizontal and bouncing to verticle!Bite is usually very light, kinda like you think you are snagged or crayfish are playing with you. A few were caught with more aggresive bites. All-in-all very happy with our luck so far. Here I was figuring it was gonna be tough and unsuccsessful!

Tracey,

Sorry I forgot to mention that we are fishing in Frazier Bay. Rock bars that rise to 18-20 FOW. Caught only a couple last night but one was 22 inches and FAT. Here is a pic!full-7032-11143-vermilon2011_b001.jpg

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned