• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Frazer Bay also started to freeze Saturday. Loosely estimate 40% ice to 60% open with patches of ice throughout the open areas as well.

Head O' Lakes and Wakemup are wide open.  Richie has a little ice in the far east end.  There was more ice when I got here on Saturday than there is now due to the wind picking up.  Was below 0 this morning but looks like we have a warming trend coming.

Nevermind the above post. Take a look at the webcams around the lake and there is very little open water. I had read Raven77's report and with the calm conditions and cold she iced up. If a good wind blows it may open up some but by the looks of things it will not happen again until spring.

Lets hope for good safe ice conditions this winter and a nice snowpack for the snowmobiles.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 4

Dad and I got on the lake today. Ice in Niles Bay was pretty good, we found 4.5" about 100 yards off shore. No walleyes but the whitefish were going pretty good! Caught 10 of these today. Sure good to be back on ice!

45278.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Pat - we caught our whities on a sandy shoreline point by our cabin (only structure within walking distance). Fish came anywhere from 18'-27'. Best bait was a small spoon but I caught one on a rippin rap about 10 seconds after drilling our first hole!

Measured 4.5" clear ice in Frazier Bay about 100 yards off Breezy Point.  Fished a little but dark patches farther out stopped us from venturing further.  Ran across a number of slush patches with about 5" of fresh light snow on top of the ice.

Advise caution on the early ice, we decided to wait awhile longer, plenty of winter left to come. Stay safe this holiday weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

• 5 months later...

Let's kick this off! Who's fishing Vermilion on Opener? Who's so excited they're having trouble sleeping? Hope to see you on Frazer bay. Be safe!

• I Like it 1

Funny Pat, was thinking of starting a new thread today as well! Hoping to be up there Opener as well and will definitely be in Smarts Bay / Frazer area!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be there!! Nothing could keep me away from the opener.  Except I won't be on Frazier Bay, I'll probably be on Big Bay. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember that there are new rules for pike. Return all pike 30-40 inches with a possession limit of two, one over 40 inches.

Also, the latest LVA newsletter had an interesting report on the walleye status. It sounds like the tables may be turning a bit in terms of more eaters on the west end and less on the east end. See below:

Walleye The DNR’s 2018 annual fall gillnet survey had a lakewide walleye catch rate of 11.6 fish/net, falling below the 25th percentile of all surveys dating back to 1984. This was the 3rd lowest catch rate observed in the previous 25 years. The low catch rate was primarily driven by low numbers in East Vermilion that can partially be attributed to a weak 2017 year class. Additionally, anecdotal information from anglers indicated favorable walleye catch and harvest rates over the previous two open water fishing seasons which may have reduced walleye abundance. Finally, a strong cold front during netting on East Vermilion may also have impacted our catch rates. The East Vermilion walleye catch rate of 11.8 fish/net was the lowest catch rate observed since 1994 and fell below the historic 25th percentile. In comparison, the West Vermilion catch rate of 11.3 fish/net was above average for that basin. The average length of walleyes captured in 2018 was 14.5 inches which was above average. Average length has increased since the implementation of the protected slot regulation in 2006. Historically, fish in East Vermilion have run smaller and their increase in average size over time has not been as dramatic as fish in West Vermilion. Below average numbers of walleyes from 11 to 15 inches were sampled lakewide in 2018. However, above average numbers of walleyes over 16 inches should provide harvest opportunity. In particular, catches of 12 to 15 inch fish were below average in East Vermilion, but average numbers of fish over 16 inches were found. For West Vermilion, catches of fish from 11 to 13 inches were below average, but catches of walleye over 14 inches were well above average.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

4 hours ago, Pat McGraw said:

Let's kick this off! Who's fishing Vermilion on Opener? Who's so excited they're having trouble sleeping? Hope to see you on Frazer bay. Be safe!

It’s hard not to get excited, especially after this winter. I can’t wait to get back up and wet a line!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Bring it on!  Will be on LV for opener and most of May/June.

Skunked, you can't believe everything you read.  I do not put a lot of stock in the creel surveys.  Too many variables.  And those of us on the west end know there are no walleyes here. :)

Edited by Raven77
  • Thumbs Up 1

Real excited stayin in pike bay after a 2 year absence,tried the west end last couple years  did alright ,but wound up runnin down east a lot ,long ride .

• Thumbs Up 2

I am excited to get back up there! We will be out on the East End of Vermillion for Opener. Hoping for some steady and decent temps!

• Thumbs Up 1

Going to be interesting to see where everyone will be fishing... week earlier than last year and the cool temps should put them pretty close to same spots as last year !

Edited by 208ProV
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like the new pike slot. The under 25" size is not a very big northern. Now being able to keep one under 30" is a lot better.  I don't keep pike very often, but this makes more sense to me. 

I don't mind the new pike slot either, although I never had an issue with filleting a two foot long gator.

I won't be up for the opener, but will be up at the end of June for a week! We'll be up over the 4th of July week. Missed getting up there for a longer trip last year because of a record 4 surgeries for me, but did manage a long weekend in August. Won't be long now! I like the new northern limit, but they probably could have kept it at a three fish limit. I don't want to open a big can of worms though!

• Thumbs Up 1

I would have liked it there was a higher limit on pike possession under 25 so that you could keep a bunch of small ones pickled.

We will be up for the opening bell!  Agreed after this last winter some time on the open water will be nice again.

Sons birthday is this saturday so we'll do our "opening weekend" next weekend.  He turns 12 next year, which is the age that the boys can join us for opening fishing, so hopefully this is the last year his birthday conflicts with opener.

Good luck this weekend.

Matt

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was pinned