• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to Frazier for the first fishing trip of the season. Be there on June 29th through July 3 or 4th. Does it look like we will be competeing with the mayflys?

My wife and I had been doing quite well on nice sized Lake Vermilion walleyes. We have seen a definite "swing" to tentative hits, much smaller fish, and those caught burping mayflies while being unhooked. We have been marking fish that seem uninterested in anything we offer. On our last outing, adult mayflies were fluttering around the surface in a few places. Although we haven't seen the huge slicks yet, something is definitely happening cry. I figure the sooner we can get this thing over with, the sooner we can get back to the business of catching nice walleyes grin. Also, it generally means for us that it's about time to add crawlers to the bait buffet, and add floaters to the rig wink.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

I made a trip down to the far east end Armstrong Bay area yesterday for something to do, "The seas were angry that day my friend" Cold east wind, net result no fish, lot of clouds on the electronics, assume Mayflies, fished with crawlers. Shallow, deep. Also trolled Pike Bay for a while, by the old lumber yard (Box Factory) area not a thing. Good luck to all, Darrell.

My wife and I had been doing quite well on nice sized Lake Vermilion walleyes. We have seen a definite "swing" to tentative hits, much smaller fish, and those caught burping mayflies while being unhooked. We have been marking fish that seem uninterested in anything we offer. On our last outing, adult mayflies were fluttering around the surface in a few places. Although we haven't seen the huge slicks yet, something is definitely happening cry. I figure the sooner we can get this thing over with, the sooner we can get back to the business of catching nice walleyes grin. Also, it generally means for us that it's about time to add crawlers to the bait buffet, and add floaters to the rig wink.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Darrell,

That is the funny thing about Pike bay, can catch those buggers one day and go back and troll the same area the next and they don't want to bite. Must have something to do with the shallow water as to why they are so finicky. (plus they are probably full of bugs right now).

See you around. Darin

Darin, as you well know the wind lately has been incredible plus the rain makes for not much fun. At least is sounds like the weekend will be good for the weekenders anyways. That will be good. We will have to go out one day next week, if your around. Let's keep in touch. Later Darrell

Darrell, my schedule is pretty much wide open from Sunday on into next week, if you want to get out for a few hours. Let me know, maybe we can set something up and catch few fish and have a few MGD's.

Fished a couple hours this morning in big bay. Found a lot of activity on a reef but they were slow to go. Got a 15" right away and that was it. Took the kids there this afternoon and corked it for an hour with nothing. Hopefully this evening is better.

Edit Haha; its 625 and all of a sudden the rollers are coming in here. Tried to launch and the boat was like a pinball in the lift. No evening bite for me. This wind is getting old.....

Finishing two weeks on the west end. Two eaters and one slot walleye. Large mouth being caught where I've never seen them before. Blue Gill the size of a dinner plate and some huge perch. Northern seemed to be active for others around us who fished for them.

Seemed like some of the slot fish caught were close to 30".

We are not the greatest anglers, but overall a much slower year than the past years where we caught several walleye a day.

Darin, let's shoot for Monday morning, meet at the Y-store, 0700, drive to my place and go from there. Let me know.

Sorry everyone for making arrangements here but I don't think we can post phone numbers here or I guess I would not want to. Thanks for understanding.

Darrell.

Any good suggestions for catching some bluegills, sunnies or crappies on the East End? Would like to take the kids out for some faster action. If the walleyes are bitting, that might even be the ticket. Thanks !

Mayflies were hatching in Big Bay tonight. Get it over with so we can start hammering eyes!! :-)

Got an off day Monday so I'm headed up to the cabin for the first time (Moccasin pt). See the mayfly hatch is started so we might have a tough time with the walleyes but how is the smallmouth bite right now? Seems to me we've done very well dock fishing this time of year in the past.

Fished a reef this morning for s couple hours. Caught 4 doinks and lost a dandy. Took my 7 year old to cast for a while. I was hoping to get him a Smallie or something. I castes a bucktails and moved 1 very large fish. Thought she was going to bite. Very aggressive on the figure 8. Let her rest and went back but nothing.

Smallie fishing around Moc Point was VERY tough this past week. Fish were post spawn and few were biting. The cold and wind didn't help. The ones that did were good size. Friday when the weather finally improved, the mayflies were hatching. One of the few bass we caught had a mouth full of mayflies.

Lake Vermilion, 6/27/11

The walleye bite this week has been poor in some of my usual spots and very good in a few of the other spots.

All of my fish have been caught on mid-lake reefs and humps this week. Most are relating to the rock to sand transition points on the reefs. 27 feet to 33 feet is the sweet spot in these areas.

Bait rigs with either a minnow or a crawler is still the way to go on the East end of the lake.

May flies have been hatching heavily in many of the shallower bays and I have even seen a few popping to the surface in Big Bay the last couple of days. I expect to see the main hatch occur in Big Bay within a week or less!

Water temps. on the main lake have been around 65 degrees this week.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

Hello...

I will be staying on the West end next week. With the water temp only being low to mid 60's, are the bass done spawning? I will be targeting SM Bass, LM Bass, Walleye and Pike. I'm just hoping to have action and will adjust target species accordingly. With this being the first trip here, I will take any advice with open arms.

Welcome to HSO!

Many SM bass are still on their beds and under docks yet.

Walleyes are biting well in some areas and I have heard that the pike are biting very well in the weedy areas.

Cliff

Was on the West side between showers today. Got a couple eyes in the 30 foot range off a midlake hump. They seemed to like the leeches best. We were not out long so may have gotten some on crawlers but the water is still pretty cool.

Not much sign of mayflies but presume it will be soon.

Wondering how the fishing has been lately on Vermilion? I dont get to come up until the first part of august. We usually lindy rig with crawlers. Any other techniques that work well that time of year? Ive been wanting to troll cranks on Vermilion for a couple years but havent tried it yet. Would that be a good option that time of year?

Lake Vermilion walleyes are going the mayfly route for the most part. We found slicks all over Big Bay and Daisy Bay on our way out this morning. My folks are up for a few days and the fishing is just fast enough to keep things interesting grin. Water temps have warmed to a fairly constant mid 60's early morning reading and it had no problem warming to the upper 60's in short order today. We have totally abandoned the minnows and leeches are still working as our "bait of choice". My Dad tried crawlers for awhile this morning and had several hits but boated only one nice walleye. He switched to leeches and we had reasonably good luck. The hit is anything but tentative and we boated several really nice walleyes from 15"-16"+. The best fish of the day came on a leech and was 21.5". We fished a rocky reef surrounded by 35' water that topped out at 21'. The reef is fairly long and wide in a couple spots. We found the walleyes on a 21' "tip" of the reef where it fell sharply off into 34' of water. Additional walleyes were picked up drifting the edges of the reef in 25'-30' of water. 4' leaders caused a major snag problem and I had to shorten things up, add a floater, and use #8 hooks. That solved all snag problems.

Here's a picture of my Dad with the "fish of the day". whistle

full-32496-9971-001.jpg

The mayflys are causing problems, but, if you find fish(a hit, see them on sonar, etc.), stay there and work it over. It could pay dividends wink.

Good Fishing,

MarkB

Thanks for the info.

How long does the hatch typically affect the bite? I will be up Saturday for a week and it looks like the weather pattern is finally stabilizing. LM, SM, Pike and Walleye will be the targets and hope the main hatch doesn't kill the fishing for the week.

Thank you.

Thanks for the info.

How long does the hatch typically affect the bite? I will be up Saturday for a week and it looks like the weather pattern is finally stabilizing. LM, SM, Pike and Walleye will be the targets and hope the main hatch doesn't kill the fishing for the week.

Thank you.

I think you would get lots of different answers to your first question. I think some fishermen would tell you that the hatch doesn't bother their fishing at all! One poster this year said he liked the mayfly hatch and felt it improved fishing(for him). I believe these walleyes have been munching mayflies for a week to 10 days now. The surface temps are right for the main hatch and I believe I saw the signs of it today. Mayflies shouldn't bother Northern Pike at all, and the walleyes will bite during and after the hatch. I believe bigger walleyes will hit just as readily right now as anytime. When you find fish, stick with them.

Have a great week on Beautiful Lake Vermilion.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Came up on Monday to Moccasin pt and fished through the rain all afternoon/evening after getting lightning'd off the lake in the morning. Short biting fish were the story of the day. Lots of bites on minnows in 15 feet but only managed to pick up 2 small ones and a jumbo perch. Smallie fishing under the docks had the same results. Couple smaller ones and at least 10 missed fish apiece. Tuesday morning there was a mat of mayflies on the boathouse before we left. Did have a nice muskie grab something (mayfly?) off the surface about 20 ft from the boat, kind of cool to see.

Same area as yesterday. This is the largest of the morning. The school of walleyes that we found this morning appeared to be mainly slot fish. The fish that we caught that were not slot fish were all 16"+. The bait was leeches, 25' saddle between 20' humps, deep water all around. The wind allowed us to leave the motor in reverse and remain fairly stationary staying right on top of them smirk. Bottom bouncing the leeches was deadly.

My Dad enjoys seeing his picture on the internet. I told him he had to catch another big walleye wink. Here it is:

full-32496-10005-002.jpg

I caught a 23.5" walleye this morning that inhaled the leech. Upon cutting the line at the hook, I noticed another "gold" hook in the fish's gut shocked. Probably doesn't prove anything but it sure gave me satisfaction seeing that gut hooked fish can survive if properly released. This fish was in perfect shape and appeared to have a full belly grin.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Caught 10 this morning with clients. Most were in the 13" to 14" range.

One really nice 30 incher caught by my client.

Lindy with crawlers and minnows again on a 26 ft. sand bar.

full-396-10008-p6290004.jpg

Way to go Cliff!! You must have got a dozen in the boat this year over 26! Been a good year for big ones.. starting to become rainy lake.

Thanks Casey! You have caught your share also!

It has been a fun year so far!

Cliff

Mayflies were pretty much wall to wall on the north side of Pine Island yesterday. By mid-afternoon the north shore smelled pretty bad eek. This morning, Big Bay had mayfly slicks from one end to the other. I took my wife out this morning for a few hours until the wind got pretty stout from the west. 21' this morning. All leeches. This one was my wife's best for the morning grin.

full-32496-10025-001.jpg

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned