• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We fished Thursday, Friday and Saturday and the bite was awesome each day.  We put 166 walleyes in the boat.  Most were small but we had plenty of nice sized eaters and 6 or 7 in the 20's.  We had three other boats in our party and they all did very well as well.  Rainbows on Lindy's turned most of the fish.  We had good success in deep water as well a shallow, muddy areas.  We caught fish at all times of the day.  We did anchor up one night and caught a bunch on bobbers too.  One of the best weekends I have had on Vermilion.

I was surprised to see how many tournament boats blanked on Saturday based on our success.  We started Saturday morning on a large community spot that had over 40 boats on and around it.  We had four over 14 inches and a 20+ in the boat in the first 20 minutes we were there.  The bite was strong on the spot for several hours and we watched hundreds of fish being caught.  The spot was loaded with small fish but with some sorting you could definitely end up with a mess of fish that could have been weighed in the tourney.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been a long time lurker on this thread, so I thought I'd contribute for once :) We fished yesterday during the day for smallies in the narrows, covered a lot of water but couldn't locate them- just a few hammer handle pike.

Also went out for an hour and a half in the evening and hit a community spot on the west end for walleyes, not a person out of 7 or 8 boats pulled in a fish. Depths were between 15 and 19 fow. Tried Lindy rigging with rainbows with no luck.

Water temps were between 58-62 degrees. We are trying again today, may do some more main lake stuff and see how that goes.

Anyone on the West end having more success?

• Thumbs Up 1

My fishing time has been very limited but caught a 27, 21, & a 19 in a couple hours this weekend. Lindy and a leech in 10' of water. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Picked up some smallies yesterday on rocks near deep water, bright colors stick baits produced fish.

• Thumbs Up 2

Heading up tomorrow for pier repairs and hope to get out to catch a couple of walleye. There has to be some reports on fishing over the Memorial Day holiday!

Thanks!

Our fishing was low in Frazer / Smart's Bay over Memorial Day weekend. that being said, we didn't fish at the optimal times. We caught a few nice large walleyes, but only one keeper in the 17 inch range and lot's of little 8 inchers. Again, we didn't fish actively and aggressively the entire weekend as the weather was perfect for hanging on the dock 

• Thumbs Up 1

Fished Saturday and Sunday on East end.  Surface lake temps in Big Bay were between 57-60 degrees.  During the day, caught fish in the 30' range using leeches on a lindy rig. Towards the evening, shallower in the 20-24 range. Most walleyes caught on crawlers over the weekend. Really good bite in the final 1/2 hour before sundown.  9 fish total, 3 keepers, fishing alone.

Didn't boat anything on minnows. Got a few fish on with jig/minnow, but the bite is weak. Can't get the hook set and losing 'em before i can get 'em into the boat.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fished very little this weekend mostly cruising the lake in the toon. The little fishing I did get in was very productive for the little time I spent.  Caught fish on basically every presentation I dabbled with.  Got out one morning with my son and we got bit in 24' jig and minnow.  We had 4 keepers in an hour.  Then in the evening after dinner I would troll the shoreline to my brothers place and would get a few.  Nice ones.  Once I got to his place We would grab the bobber rods and bobber up.  Good keepers and some slot fish mixed in too.  Great weekend on the Big V.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

First time being able to post but long time follower.  Enjoy all the posts and especially the photos as I am four hours away waiting for the chance to get back to the lake.  Sounds like fishing is picking up even on the West end.  Over the opener weekend we had luck in 19-24 feet with Lindy rigs made with glow blue softbody jig and rainbow chub.  All were slot fish 22-24.  Will try leeches which have been successful once water temps get above 60.  Once again thanks to all who post.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice fish!

Sounds like you had some great crappie action!

Cliff

Put in about 16 hours this last weekend: 3 on Friday night, 10 hours on Saturday, and another 3 on Sunday. Tough fishing - a total of five walleyes, only one keeper. I brought a couple of new anglers, so plenty of work baiting hooks, de-snagging lindy rigs, etc. We caught 3 fish on lindy/leech, one fish with lindy/minnow, and one fish, the only keeper, on a chartreuse crappie tube jig (?) being cast into shore. All fish in the 24-30 foot range. No fish on worms or jig/minnow, despite much effort. Hit a total of about 12 different spots. We could find fish bunched up on Saturday, just couldn't get 'em to move.

Good news is we pretty much had the lake to ourselves. Saw maybe a total of 10 other boats fishing the entire weekend (When's the last time you fished the narrow at Glenwood Lodge by yourself?). Guessin' most folks got the memo about tough cold front fishing conditions. Saturday morning was brutal on Big Bay, with winds from the North at around 15-20 mph.

The first time anglers had a great time, and kept me on the lake longer than i probably would have otherwise been, given the conditions and difficulty on bite.

Edited by chucker1101
  • Thumbs Up 2

What a slab, CLOTAGAMES!

Can someone share their latest water temps? Thank you.

Edited by Deet

Put in about 16 hours this last weekend: 3 on Friday night, 10 hours on Saturday, and another 3 on Sunday. Tough fishing - a total of five walleyes, only one keeper. I brought a couple of new anglers, so plenty of work baiting hooks, de-snagging lindy rigs, etc. We caught 3 fish on lindy/leech, one fish with lindy/minnow, and one fish, the only keeper, on a chartreuse crappie tube jig (?) being cast into shore. All fish in the 24-30 foot range. No fish on worms or jig/minnow, despite much effort. Hit a total of about 12 different spots. We could find fish bunched up on Saturday, just couldn't get 'em to move.

Good news is we pretty much had the lake to ourselves. Saw maybe a total of 10 other boats fishing the entire weekend (When's the last time you fished the narrow at Glenwood Lodge by yourself?). Guessin' most folks got the memo about tough cold front fishing conditions. Saturday morning was brutal on Big Bay, with winds from the North at around 15-20 mph.

The first time anglers had a great time, and kept me on the lake longer than i probably would have otherwise been, given the conditions and difficulty on bite.

​Sorry to hear about the slow weekend.  I wasn't up last weekend, I had to go to my niece's wedding.  I'll be up with some friends this weekend.  Muskie season starts Saturday!

• Thumbs Up 1

I will also be fishing for the big green girls this weekend. My boat partner will be my oldest grandson who as already caught his first Muskie of the year off of my dock last weekend.

"Ace"

• Thumbs Up 3

BTW been looking out at the lake here on the west end, like no boats.  Maybe 2 or 3 all day.  Are they all down on the other end? 

• Thumbs Up 1

There is not a whole lot of traffic on the East end either this week!

Cliff

It will pick up now that most of the kids are out of school. Muskie season will also bring a lot more anglers to the Big V.

Temps are still holding steady this week with the cool weather.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Catching walleyes on leeches,crawlers and smaller minnows now.

Cliff

Anyone having success out there on Vermilion? Only been fishing about three or four hours since Thursday, but zilcho for me in the Smart's Bay /Frazer Bay area!

PSU,

Have you tried the area around Hoyt? The past two mornings have been bleak for me, too. I've been fishing Fraser Bay on spots that worked earlier in the week. When I find a few fish on sonar, I can't get bit. I figure it's too darn sunny and still and some clouds of mayflies are too much competition. 

Frustrated but not giving up,

Dick

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was pinned