• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

In the few years we've had a place wr've always done well on lead the first week of August when we come up. Last year the first week of August we were getting easy limits. I didn't try it like I said, maybe I could have gotten some had I tried it. I'll Be trying it labor day weekend.

The past week has been a little slow but yesterday the fish showed up again. We had to fish multiple spots as we would catch a couple out of the school and then they would stop biting. Most of the fish were in 16'-22' and in gravel next to nasty rocks. 2 slot fish otherwise 13"-15" fish without the large number of dinks as in past weeks. Very light bites with just a "pick up and swim along" many times. Crawlers, leeches, and minnows all caught fish with leeches being the best for size and numbers.

I have not heard of any consistent lead core bites yet.

Casey and Mike were out this afternoon trolling and had 4 in the box though when I went in!

Very slow live bait bite for me today!

Cliff

Leadcore has been feast or famine for me the past few weeks. I have had days of putting a dozen fish in the boat on one pass and others where im lucky if I chart a fish in a pass. Hopefully find some consistency in the coming week or two. Until recently I was seeing baitfish hanging pretty close to the shore and We were getting nice walleyes mixed in with the bass in as shallow as 3 feet of water last week with slip bobbers and leeches. This cold snap shut that down for me as of tuesday though. Last time I was out (Tuesday) I was charting quite a few fish in my trolling runs but had a tough time getting anything to hit. Good to hear someone was getting some today though!

A little off the topic, but I have been seeing a fair number of fancy bass boats the last few days. Is there a tournament going on?

(one of the boats darn near ran into my dock. I guess 2 feet of water and a sand bottom is a hot spot or something)

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow it is quiet on here lately. Was up Tuesday and managed 6 small walleyes. 20 ft, crawlers, shoreline point with deeper water at the tip. Also got a dink in the reeds of a shallow bay. I have not seen a slot fish since Memorial week. Sure hope they show up this Fall. Water temps were 66/67 everywhere I was.

A little off the topic, but I have been seeing a fair number of fancy bass boats the last few days. Is there a tournament going on?

(one of the boats darn near ran into my dock. I guess 2 feet of water and a sand bottom is a hot spot or something)

Another bass tourney this week. Didn't get to talk to many of them but last I heard the guys fishing real shallow for bass were getting some nice walleye mixed in? Anyone else seeing any of that?

I think that everyone is busy fishing! laugh

The bite has been very good the past couple of weeks.

We boated 31 walleyes yesterday with 8 that were in the slot. 18-1/8" to 23-1/2".

Most were caught in the rocks in 19 to 31 feet on lindys/minnows.

Cliff

Fishing on the east end must be completely different-was up over labor day weekend on far west end-Norwegian bay area and it was extremely slow on leeches or worms-did not try minnows yet as water was still around 70. Did manage a bunch of nice crappies in the shallows off a couple docks on beetle spins along with a bonus 19" largemouth thrown in.

Fishing on the east end must be completely different-was up over labor day weekend on far west end-Norwegian bay area and it was extremely slow on leeches or worms-did not try minnows yet as water was still around 70. Did manage a bunch of nice crappies in the shallows off a couple docks on beetle spins along with a bonus 19" largemouth thrown in.

It always has been! Two different types of lakes in many ways!

Cliff

• 1 month later...

As always thanks to all the helpful posts from everyone on this site. Had a fun 2 hours this morning catching a dozen and keeping a few. Mostly smaller fish biting but probably missed another 20 because they were just sucking the tail of my minnows. Fished rock point drop from 27-35 feet. Water temp 48.

• 1 month later...

Vermilion gold..... How does it look up there? It's 48 degrees here and not a speck of snow left on the ground.

• 1 month later...

How has the bite been for everyone this winter? Been pretty quiet on this forum so hopefully that's a good sign! I will be heading up to my GF's family cabin on Big Bay at the end of the month. Will fish the East Side a few days and then will take the sleds out to a nearby lake to try for Trout/Lakers. I can't wait!

Fishing has been pretty good for me this winter. I have been averaging about 4 walleyes per day, including 8 slotters so far (19-26"). Unfortunately, over half of the walleyes are too small to eat (7-12"). I have also been catching a fair number of large perch (10-13").

• 3 months later...

Here is a quick update. I put the boat in on Sunday and did a run up to Black Bay.

Water levels are low. down +- 15 inches from last spring.

Bouys are in on the West end. Some of the private docks are also in.

Water temp in Black Bay was at 48 degrees late morning on Sunday.

Good luck on the opener- Be Safe and courtious

Steve

The lake is definitely low right now. I was up a week ago. You will certainly hit obstructions that you wouldn't have hit in the past.

The walleye were spawning on my shore last week so I'm confident that they will be post-spawn and beyond, moving out into the main parts of the lake by the fishing opener.

Also, Manicks put our lifts in on Saturday. They went down into Black Bay and also did ours along the Partridge River. Was having a burger at The Landing Saturday evening and saw the barge heading into Head O Lakes Bay.

49 degrees in Pike Bay today. 47 degrees in parts of Big Bay.

Cliff

• The topic was unlocked

Mark B.,

I just noticed that this topic had been locked.

I do not know how that happened but I opened again !

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to getting out this wknd...crappies first walleyes second...

I assume water temps are staying down.  Are the levels coming up at all with the recent rain?

The water has come up about 6 inches or so this week!

Water temps dropped around 4 degrees!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, will be chasing crappies tomorrow!  Missed opener so this is the maiden voyage.

• Thumbs Up 1

We ended up catching 23 crappies Saturday but it took some work.  We were hitting the shallow bays, including Wolf and Black.  Water temps were all around 55 degrees most of the day.  I would say we caught 3 crappies in the first five hours then 20 in the last hour (early evening).  The daytime action was dead for us.  Of note was the fact that they were mostly males which tells me they are still coming in feeding and nest building and females are just on the front-end of spawning.  Doesn't appear to be too much warmup coming up but hopefully that changes.  We used a mix of jigs and plain hooks.  Big water spots had nothing.  One caveat was there were lots of people fishing crappies, especially in Black, so we were trying new spots as it seemed boats were in all my usual haunts and I prefer to fish away from other boats.  Didn't seem to see many getting pulled in though.  The one benefit of the lower water is many of my spots aren't flooded out this year!  Looking forward to this weekend. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was pinned