• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey everyone my brother and I are headed up for the week starting tomorrow. I'm curious on what depth during the day you're getting the eyes? We're staying on the east end on big bay. I'm sure it's the regular structures they are at? Thanks in advance for any info. Tight lines and see ya out there!

The walleyes are being caught at all depths between 6' and 45'!

many of the better fish are in the shallow water right now.

Cliff

Hey guys when fishing in 25 feet plus water what size weight are you using along with your snell?

i like to use a 3/4 oz. but a 3/8 oz. will do if you like a lighter weight.

Cliff

Hello Friends:

Heading up today for the weekend. Still minnows and leeches for the walleyes?

Thanks

andy

PSU,

I am using only crawlers and leeches now.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

I fished yesterday 9-5 with my wife and 2 yr old. Walleyes were scattered on a mid lake hump, some were shallow on the rocks and some were deep on the mud. The bigger fish were up on the rocks. Could have stayed there and catch about a fish per 1/2 hr but I wanted to put some miles on my new boat and my 2 year old was getting restless so we went exploring and got skunked from 1-5pm and tried about 6 spots where I marked fish mostly shorline stucture.

Sorry Deet, I didn't know how to display the water temp on the new depthfinder.

Looking for water temps, please. Thank you!

If no one else does, I'll start posting them next week.

Fished Friday (12-3p) and Sat evening (8-10p), East end. Caught some very nice jumbos (22-25") on a few rock piles in about 20-25 FOW with 30 FOW around the structure. 1/2 Crawlers were definitely the go to as leeches weren't producing. Lindy's with black/dark grey or red hooks (black/Grey seemed to be best). Not many eaters caught, but a managed to get enough for supper and a few minis mixed in to keep it interesting (good prospects for future years). Mid-day has been the best or between 9-10p right before dark. Anybody still having luck in the shallows?

Deet,

69.8 degrees in Big Bay this afternoon.

Cliff

I went out yesterday and was catching fish in the same areas as Klinger described but they were scattered and would say our average catch rate was about a fish every 1/2 hour or so. The last couple of hours of daylight we put some nice ones in the livewell (all 16-17") using #5 shad raps long lined behind the boat in 7-12ft of water. Key seemed to be speed as we were cruising along at about 2.75-3.0 mph and we picked up a fish up about every 10-15 min. Water temps where I was at ranged from 69-71 degrees.

I was up on the big v last Tuesday through Sunday. I caught fish on leeches, crawlers and minnows depending on the area. best fishing for me was in about 13-18 fow. Marked a tn of fish on the rock piles and humps on big bay but couldn't get those fish to bite and believe me I tried everything I had with me including plastics and crank baits. I have to think that it will only be a matter of time before those fish start hitting. had to cover a lot of water because it seemed to be the classic vermilion 1 and done in a lot of areas. sunday morning was best for me (of course because I was leaving) caught about 25 12-18" in about 3 hrs. Nice ending to the trip. Caught all those fish with crawlers 5 ft snell and red hook no bead.

Coming up this weekend, whats going on ya'll?

Wind and rain, today.

Up for the weekend on Frazer Bay. Caught 20+ small walleye, kept 3 for the frying pan. All caught with slip bobbers with leeches and crawlers in 21 FOW on a rock bar. Today will try some other areas to locate some bigger ones. No sign of any Mayflies. Any suggestions for areas to locate the mommas and pappad?

I was out last night trolling raps and only caught one snake, one perch and one keeper eye. May flies were starting to hatch where i was at. Need to try something else?

Successful fishing last night on a bar in 20-24 FOW on leeches while slip bobbering. Caught 15 eyes, mainly dinks with 3 keepers for a fry and 2 slot fish. My brother pulled in the largest this trip, a 26 incher that made the night. Back in the lake. Here's a pic. full-7032-47164-image.jpg

I've been out off and on the past three days and have put about 80 fish on the boat. Only 17 have been keepers abd most bare minimum at that.Lots of short fish I the system. For us mid lake structure is the bit. The fish come and go. Bare reef in the morning then loaded in the afternoon.. or vice versa. 100%.crawlers for us and if you are not a fan of switching the colors of your hooks up you are really missing out. Three days....Three different colors worked best. Depending on the structure....16-25" has been best.

Third day fishing Frazer Bay rock bars. So far we have caught 40+ with about 10 keepers for a fry. Largest 26", with a 24,22,20 and an 18. No complaints here. All caught while slip-bobbering with 80% leeches and 20% crawlers in 20-24 fow!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I'm heading up to Glenwood Lodge this Saturday through Tuesday morning for my bachelor party. I just have a couple general questions. I'm a musky addict and haven't fished Vermilion since 07 (practically a crime), and even then I was on the West end. Should I be able to hit the mid lake reefs in Big Bay and be in a decent area? I love fishing shallow rocks with gliders and Jackpots, so I'm hoping I should be ok with that.

Second, the other guys are interested in putting some eyes or small pike in the boat for a fish fry. Mid-summer eyes are not my thing at all. I generally don't have the patience it can take (ironic coming from a musky guy). Browsing through some of the forums, it sounds like either slip bobbers or jigs/leeches are go to's right now? I don't really need to tie into any pigs, just looking for some more action with them. If I'm gonna catch a pig, I want it to be a musky.

Lindy rigs with 1/2 crawler is the most effective walleye method right now.

Crank baits in 20' to 30' flats are also starting to produce.

Cliff

I thought people might enjoy these pics. A couple bonus fish my kids caught while tossing smaller bulldawgs for muskys. It was quite the site to see my daughter tossing these baits but she must have been doing it right. Hers was 38" and my son's was 41".

IMAG0026_zpsbsah36ox.jpg

IMAG0017_zpsppwwizcv.jpg

Great pics of the kids and their big smiles Jaime! Go up this wknd for a try at some Ski's and Walters?? grin

Great Job Nothing better than seeing a kid with a smile & a nice fish they caught. Congrats

Lindy rigs with 1/2 crawler is the most effective walleye method right now.

Crank baits in 20' to 30' flats are also starting to produce.

Cliff

Thanks for the info! Are the mayflies still going strong?

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned