• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have been getting a fair amount of my fish on pike suckers.

Crawlers are still working too!

Cliff

I won't be buying any.. The water temp is still 72 degrees and they are impossible for me to keep when daytime highs are in the 80s... Minnows won't outfish crawlers until about the 3rd or 4th week of September.

I thought that, perhaps, some of you readers might be interested in how "Joe Blow" back a boat into the water for the day,fishermen are faring these days. Yesterday, I volunteered to help The Sportsman's Club check boats at Hoodoo Point for invasive species, etc. During my 2 hour stay, I checked 9 boats, of which 5 were exiting. One boat was a "no luck" Musky hunter. The other 4 fished specifically for walleyes. Most of them fished for 4 or more hours. 2 boats had no fish and no action, one caught 2 walleyes, one too small and the other a 21", and the last boat reported lots of hits and had 4 nice walleyes. I reported no invasive species, and, of the 4 boats entering, 3 had the plug in and weren't aware it was against the law to travel with it in blush. One guy exiting had a "new" plug that has a bulb mechanism that auto drains when you leave the water. You never take it out shocked. He said a CO told him about it. $9 at L&M.

The past 4 days, my wife and I have been crankbaiting. We've had great fishing averaging ~3 fish/hour. As I have previously stated, the average size for us is larger than fishing bait laughlaugh.

Last evening, my wife suggested we go out this morning and catch our supper. So we did. Normally, I prefer to lay low when everyone has everything that floats on the lake crazy, but, I thought we could sneak out, get our fish, and sneak back before things began to "liven up". Wrong! I like to throw out a marker when fishing really tough water(snags)because, it gives me bearings on where to stay away from. OMG! what a mistake! I had a boat join us that was passing at ~60mph before he saw the marker and whipped in for bit of fishing. Now, two boats. In a very short time, boat #3 joined the party. It appeared that Boat #2 was annoyed with this new arrival because he edged closer to the marker(mine) to stake his territory, I guess. THEN, the crankbait fishermen arrived! They were kind of like gulls trying to steal a perch as they darted as close as possible to that damned marker mad But, guess what? Everyone caught fish grin. The best thing that happened during the melee was my wife and I got to listen to one of the crankbaiters interact with his very young son. Dad let him reel in the fish and, if too big, Dad reeled it in and the little guy netted the fish. The conversations between those two in between fish absolutely made our day.

We went after a couple of walleyes for supper. We caught 10 walleyes including a 23.5",21.5",21",20", and 18". In addition, we got into a swarm of big smallmouth and boated 20 with several 18"-19". I had 2 walleyes in the well, when I ran into some crappies and we managed to catch enough crappies to substitute those for our supper. During the past 4 days crankbait fishing, we haven't even come close to the absolutely phenomenal 4.5 hours we had this morning! Every fish we caught this morning were on crawlers that I got from Casey. If any of you buy some, make absolutely sure you get the ones that have Casey's guarantee wink.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Thank you Mark for your endorsement!! Keep in mind I am running for presedent next go around... I still have a bunch of flats I'd like to get rid of.. Let me know ASAP and I can set you up. Glad to hear that we have such a great compliance in regards to invasives!! crazy

Few more days this week and then I'll pretty much be chasing ducks!

Capt.

18'-21' has been working for me. I have noticed others fishing areas with leadcore or downriggers that have depths of 35' or more. The 2 areas that I have been fishing have maximum depth of 26', and, for the most part, the depth transitions are gradual. As I said in a prior post, shoreline areas are getting good and the points and sharper contours at the depths I mentioned should be good.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Sounds good! I have been dragging some baits around the last few days but I have been averaging only about 1-2 fish an hour. I have been using Down-Deep Husky Jerks which seem to be nicking bottom at about 16-17 ft. Maybe I just need to try some different areas too! Thanks for the heads up.

My wife was in "we don't take enough pictures of you" mode this morning so, here are a couple she took.

We had this guy and a couple of his friends over for dinner Saturday night wink

full-32496-24004-002.jpg

My camera time is off by 12 hours due to operator error blush

full-32496-24005-003.jpg

3 spots, 2 rock bass, 1 jumbo, 6 HUGE smallmouth, and 20 walleye this AM grin

full-32496-24006-006.jpg

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Got skunked on my first Casey's Crawlers try, but sure looked like minnows were the winning ticket over by Fectos yesterday....three young girls (and one guy...lucky him) were killing it!

Got skunked on my first Casey's Crawlers try, but sure looked like minnows were the winning ticket over by Fectos yesterday....three young girls (and one guy...lucky him) were killing it!

It was hammer time for us using a jig and minnows as well.

71.3 degrees in Big Bay this morning. I don't have much luck keeping minnows alive for very long when the water is that warm. We generally have good luck with crawlers until late September and then we switch over.

Here are 3 Sept days from my 2011 Journal:

9/27/2011

I went down to ..... and found them just inside the left shoreline ~50 yards south of the big cedar clump. They were on the 17'-21' hump that parallels the shoreline. Crawlers were the ticket. We got 37 total!

9/28/2011

We went back to the same spot as yesterday and caught 34. Once again crawlers were the ticket. Water temp was 57.8

9/30/2011

Dad and I fished today. We boated 13. Today it was all minnows.

The Journal goes on to say that 9/30 was the last day we used crawlers in 2011. Fishing got really good last October/early Nov using just about any kind of minnow that could swim. They keep really good in low 60 and below water.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Catching big walleyes is something that I'd rather do than just about anything. It's why we live here. My wife and I debated whether to crankbait this morning or go with bait. We made the right choice wink.

full-32496-24049-005.jpg

My post yesterday had the wrong time by 12 hours, as you can see I fixed the problem. Notice the time on each of these pictures. We caught several of these whoppers in ~ 1 hour! We were so spoiled, my wife had a 21" walleye beside the boat while I was trying to net this one and I basically ignored her fish. She commented that I released her fish as if it were a rock bass laugh. full-32496-24050-006.jpg

As usual, my wife kicked my rear, and of the 8 slotfish or larger that we caught this morning, she caught 5 of them! We caught 17 total walleyes. It's a pretty spectacular outing when 16"-20" walleyes all look like "eaters" whistle.full-32496-24051-010.jpg

Fewer boats, changing leaves, and beautiful fall-like weather made for quite a morning.

full-32496-24052-012.jpg

I will update the fantastic color change over the next few weeks when I update our personal fishing exploits, if there are any smirk

full-32496-24053-011.jpg

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Once again nice fish and many thanks for the numerous reports you have posted. They are appreciated by those of us who are not able to fish as much as we want.

I've seen enough fish pictures to know those are some real Dandys!!! Way to go you two you make it look easy! I fished with a group this afternoon and we did very very well.. I never sat down! We were fishing my go to method for the last few weeks.. Only a few in the slot around 19-21. Try again in the AM!

Mark,

your killing me! Now pictures! cry

I didn't think reading your entry's could get any better... grin

Much, much appreciated. wink

Scott

If you haven't yet, it's time to try minnows! Jigs and minnows produced a dozen nice walleyes for two guys in two hours this morning before the wind came up. (Didn't see this wind in the forecast!) 15-17 fow.

RLG

I'll be heading up there on the 21st and looking forward to some fall fishing. Would it be best to focus my efforts on shoreline structure or the midlake reefs at this point?

We have chubs now and will also have light suckers tomorrow sometime. And a few of those Casey's Crawlers are still hanging around.

Don't ignore the reefs - fish move. I'm not finding fish in typical fall spots yet but we have been fishing shoreline. Today was minnows but yesterday and recently it's been 50/50 So we work crawlers, too until one wins! I'm hoping this wind dies down for a little evening action.

Good luck!

RLG

Shorlines a wind mean fun stuff for use.

No pressure an bing bang bong ..its amazingly fun.

Having not fished wallys to seriously for past 12 years do to the hold muskies fish had on me I am amazed at the size of some of these prokers...to fun. Figuring them out has been a fun trip. Sometimes you eat the bar an sometimes the bar eats YOU!

confused

I even got a few on spoons n mepps spinners Monday an when it was all things Vermilion went mental Saturday we had a blast in shallows with 16 & 14 inchers on crawlers, jig an a cork.

Best fun going an the grease got hot.

cool

Enjoy.

T

We had a small tournament with 8 boats on the east end on Wednesday, a small cold front came through the night before. Every boat caught fish (5-10 walleyes a boat) The wind was crazy but we fought it on big bay and managed 7 walleyes on lindys/spinner rigs and crawlers and 2 on a sucker minnow. 1 boat had downriggers and caught 10 fish and they quit at 11am due to the wind, the winning boat was running leadcore and the other guys were either running lindys or jig and a minnow, one boat caught there fish on shiners. The fish were scattered and you had to work for them, some people fished shoreline breaks, some points, one went north of pine island and we were out in the mud off of structure in 30-40ft.

I have been doing very well on windy swept rocky/sandy shorelines on Rapala's r/s #5 in the chad and blue color in 12-15 f.o.w. seems the fish are off the bottom 3-4 feet...just enough speed and line out to keep it in that zone....lots of slot fish caught.

How are the water temps looking? Has the HOT summer got the water temps warmer than usual? Thinking of making a fall trip but I need to put in vacation request a few weeks in advance (stupid work!). We usually go the 1st or second week of October but thinking it might be the 3rd week of the month to get the same water temps that we are used to.

Thanks in advance

Surface temps on Big Bay were 69.3 degrees this morning.

Very good jig and minnow bite in deep water today! All were in fall locations.

Cliff

Well its finally fall and I have some time away from the resort to fish! Walleyes are on the bite, I was trolling a shorline break 18' with a perch colored rap. Took about an hour tonight for these eaters.

Hit me up for some deals on lodging! I can get you HSO friends a comfy cabin for almost free up here this time of year. [email protected]

full-34587-24533-walleyes.jpg

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned