• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone go out fishing today? How about rock hunting? smile

It has been a while but I usually hook several rocks every time I go out. They are really hard to get in the boat, especially the big ones.

• 1 month later...

Fishing was a lot tougher for me this week. I iced only 5 eyes in 2½ days of fishing, including the 21" slot fish in the picture. I also lost 4 fish yesterday half way up. Fished the same location as last week. Maybe I should have moved out farther from McKinley Park. Hope other people are having better luck. Had 12¼" of ice half mile out from the landing.

full-28432-15303-img_3272.jpg

Just curious on thoughts for new years weekend. Probably heading out of mckinley to throw some tipups out in the afternoons n early evenings. Is it going to be possible to drive? If a person is setting up up for a late afternoon/ early evening bite should I just concentrate on shoreline breaks? 12-18'?

There are good driving conditions out from McKinley!

Fish are being caught in depths ranging from 12' to 35'. Deeper is best during the mid day hours but has also been good in the mornings and evenings too.

Cliff

I have been moving all around the McKinley Park area and doing well at most spots. I have caught slot fish just about every time I have been out. The late afternnon bite has slowed down last couple weeks but still getting on fish. I have been out about a dozen times and never fished the same spot more than twice.

Tried a new area tonight and we got a couple eaters and the slot fish in the picture.full-14148-15435-392366_325284077496486_

thinking of heading to out around tower this afternoon with kids any ideas?

Would love to get them on some fish.

have 2 girls 5 & 13 want to keep them intrested.

Thanks in advance:-) marv.

Does anyone know the ice conditions from Stuntz or McKinley towards Mud Creek and Bass Bay? How about from Birch Pt (Big Bay side) to McKinley. I see a east-west pressure ridge across BB south of Birch Pt.

Do not know about ice conditions East of McKinley but there are a couple of bad pressure ridges West of McKinley. One runs from Birch Island to Cherry Island then towards Everett Bay. I heard that there was also a bad one out by Moose Island.

Cliff

I'm currently sitting here at my wifes parents cabin which is just right around the point from bayview. I'm looking out at the lake and like last year there is no one fishing in sight. I'm trying to figure out if its just an access issue or if there are no walleyes out here? I mean why shouldn't there be fish off the break of birch point and other areas like that? I suppose the sand break right in front of the cabin just isn't deep enough?

James,

There are plenty of walleyes to be caught in that area in the winter.

Probably an access thing or the fact that no one is set up there for others to home in on!

If I had a good access in that area I would be fishing there instead of the McKinley circus!!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I might do some exploring out there this winter. How important is it to at least have deep water nearby when picking spots to check out? I guess deep could be a relative term but in looking at a map of parts of big bay there isn't water over 25' deep. Just wondering if in your opinion if a person should concentrate more on the areas with 25-35' close to them.

James ,

As you stated, "Deep Water is relative"!

If 25' is the deepest water and it has a steep drop-off into it that break would be a good area to concentrate on at this time of the year, especially during the brighter part of the day. Fish the base of the breaks.

I have had good luck at times using tip-ups in 12' to 16' flats also!

Just a matter of keeping the noise level down around you as these fish are spooky!

There is a nice break on the East side of Strawberry Is. that would be worth looking at and also a rock pile out in front of your place .

Good 32 foot hole on the South-East side of Moose Is. that should also hold walleyes and perch.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, the rock pile out front is a spot I've been curious about. I've never seen anyone fish it, thought that might be a sign Haha. I'll be checking it out. I assume in lowlight on these type of spots its worth throwing tips up shallower on the break.

James,

I have caught walleyes around that rock pile during the summer!

I have tried fishing the tops of reefs many times in the winter during low light periods and have not done well on the shallow reefs.

Cliff

Hey Guys. I'm heading up Thursday morning. Does anybody know if I can drive a full size truck across Stuntz bay to the deeper water just outside the bay? Any updated fishing reports would also be appreciated. Thanks. Ed

We were up last weekend and drove a full sized truck out of Stuntz over to Mud Creek Bay without any trouble and we saw trucks driving just about everywhere on the lake.

Over the last few weeks or so, we were able to have iced a few good sized pike. 6 Pike over 36 inches with 3 over 39 inches. All were released of course, nice fat healthy fish. Chasing the big toothy critters keeps me going in the winter season. Nothing better than getting a pike through the ice over 40.

TP

53, You can find them deep, shallow, weeds, or rocks. I know that doesn't help, but it all depends on the given day, time of year, and other factors. It takes time and patients to get some patterns together. But the payouts are defiantly worth it, if there is a spot in mind that you would think holds a big pike based on baitfish, depth, or structure, your more than likely right! Just gotta give it a full day, and give it more than one shot. If one day is a total bust, dont throw that spot to the wind, try it again with different conditions or time of year!

TP

How's the bite been over the past week? Also, how is the ice conditions on Vermilion? Any updates are greatly appreciated.

The walleye bite for me has been slow the past week or so.

Perch have been the best bite this week.

Ice conditions are good. 19" of ice on Big Bay today. Very little snow, some drifting in the open areas.

Cliff

Fishing has slowed down for me this week. I hope thats not the end of what has been a great winter bite. Jumbo perch up to 13" are showing up quite a bit now though. I was marking fish steady the other night but they just wouldn't bite anything. I did have three flags on my tip-up but no takers, I suspect they were perch as well. I am going to head out and hit some of the mid-lake reefs this week and will let you fellas know how I do. On a side note we have some great events lined up out here for Feb. On the 19 we have snowmobile radar runs & the polar plunge will follow the nest Saturday (25th) full-34587-16529-perch.jpg

full-34587-16530-perch2.jpg

full-34587-16531-blast2.jpg

Moved my house today... my group for the next couple days sat from 230-530 caught 3 nice keeper eyes and missed a few others. My bite had gone to almost all perch before the move and was very slow due to crowding.

Sounds like fishing has gotten a little better or is at least nice and steady for my customers with houses out at McKinley park. Guys this week have been getting 3 or 4 eyes a night and missing quite a few as well. The jumbo perch seem to be hitting real good too now. I had a friend pick up 6 real nice slab crappies last weekend as well in about 3 hours, middle of the day.

Ice travel is exellent! This is definatly a great year to get out and do some exploring and hit some differnt spots. I had a customer drive from Moc Point all the way around Ely Island, I guess you just have to be willing to dodge a few pressure ridges. There are fish all over the lake and it would be really great to expand the comfort zone out past Mckinley and get some houses closer to BayView grin.

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned