• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

vermilionfox

Cliff do you have any availability on either 8/5 or 8/6? I'd need to come to you. I'm staying on the west end while picking some kids up but it would be nice to get out and fish with you again!

Cliff Wagenbach

DLD24,

I have not seen those suspended fish in the area that I have been fishing.

Cooked fish look great!

Cliff

Cliff Wagenbach

Vermilionfox,

I still have both of those days open at this time.

Call or e-mail me and I will reserve one of them for you.

Will be fun fishing with you again also!

Thanks!

Cliff

Stephen L Johnston Jr.
Posted (edited)

Toddrun,

I totally feel you on the big lake aspect of Vermilion. Our old cabin was just east of pike bay lodge, you’ll see the new owner has a big circular barrel type sauna up front now. Growing up I found it a lot easier to work with by breaking the lake down into sections on what I would like to accomplish for the day, otherwise I get out their and do more scouting than actual fishing.I literally have a few maps all highlited out with my spots (decided to show you a pic of the water damaged set), as you will find the depths maybe a little off, and certain gps chips show a lot more detail where I have found a few “secret” humps that are not on others. To this day I have not done much fishing past the Frazier bay / Hoyt island area, beside my one trip to life o Reilly resort on the way northeast end. Haven’t really had to other than for exploration. I was playing with the idea of taking up MarkB on his offer to pm him on a few tips as I know he was over that way more often than I but I’m not sure he logs on that much anymore. We always have to troll Pike bay one as it was my dads mainstay, but as him and the old owner Jim Kivela have said the fishing in the bay has not been as good as it once was. Digging through the old post all the way back to 2011 (I do this once a year it seems) I found that the walleye classic winning weigh in has gone up over the years quite a bit  however, since Casey was the winner, still sad he doesn’t do his weekly YouTube updates. I think the progressive upgrades on sonar over the years has surely helped out the average fisherman, heck I’m sure I would learn a lot if I would stop being so cheap and hired cliff for the day and had him let me pick at his mind for the day on such topics and presentations. On that note I see he has been hooking into some bigger walleye which is a good thing in my eyes, I alsways like to get a few in or above the slot over a weeks time. We will be in the old pike master boat, if you happen to see us don’t be shy to say hi, we will be staying at the hoodoo point campgrounds. 

Good luck, look forward to all the updates from everyone!

Pike Master

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Stephen L Johnston Jr.

toddrun

Thanks Stephen, for the information and insight.

I think I will take one of your suggestions and run with it.  I am going to focus on the areas around Pike Bay, and stay localized.  Unless I get totally skunked and am forced to widen my scope.  I have gotten enough good intel, that I think I can do my best to find some fish.  Maybe not Walleye, but possibly Bass, Pike, Panfish, whatever will bite.  I will just enjoy the scenery, and fish, and if the fish cooperate and bite, so much the better.

I will post a report when I get back.

Cliff Wagenbach
Posted (edited)

Toddrun,

Pike Bay is mostly an early morning late evening walleye bite now.

Concentrate your search in Big Bay for daytime fish!

If you do happen to hit a large bug hatch switch to hammered gold spinners and 1/2 crawler!

Cliff

Edited by Cliff Wagenbach
  • Thumbs Up 1

PRO-V

One time on Winnie after a couple of good days on the Bena Bar a bug hatch went off heavy. Switched to bottom bouncer and hammered gold/ crawler and still couldn't get them to go. Water was boiling with fish all over. While cranking in my line fast to plot my next stategy I lifted the rig out of the water and saw 6 walleye chasing it. Dropped it back 10', used the electric motor and got my limit. They were up high on the emergers. This was over 27' of water.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pat McGraw

Pro-V, That opens up a potential new dimension in approach. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to hitting Frazer this weekend with my brother-in-lay and nephew and providing a report next week.

Thanks again.

snagger

I'm heading up with my wife and two little boys this weekend. We will be there for 4 days. We are staying at Everett Bay Lodge. I really want to get my boys on some fish. We'll try walleye a little bit but I was thinking if I'm looking for more consistent action I may have to go for bass. Anyone know if they're spawning and up shallow? The weather looks a little dicey this weekend and I'm also wondering if the cooler temps will push any shallow fish a bit deeper. Any general advice would be appreciated.

I should have reserved a day with  Cliff. I'm sure you're booked now though......

Thanks!

SkunkedAgain
Posted (edited)

With all do respect to Cliff, even if he is booked there are a lot of guides that you can call through the guides league. Cliff is just one of the few on this forum, which we are all very thankful for!

Fishing can often be better as a new system approaches!

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2

Shulsebus

I will be up to the lake Saturday. Making some Lindy rigs. Is there a certain length or hook color that is working right now?

Cliff Wagenbach

Snagger,

A slip bobber with a leech will get plenty of bass and a few walleyes if fished in the shallow rocks and close to docks. Should keep the kids happy!

Mostly small males right now from what I have heard but plenty of fight in them!

Cliff

Cliff Wagenbach

Shulsebus,

I use a 5' leader with a red, black, pink, or bronze #4 hook on my leech and crawler rigs.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

redlabguy

Definitely a crawler bite for me this morning. And I had good luck on the rocky edges of a reef, my favorite kind of fishing even with occasional snags. 16-20 fow.

Summer is here!

RLG

• Thumbs Up 1

Bigfatbert

Another good a.m bite for me and my wife today , ( Thurs ) on Big bay . Nice fish again . Our limit of keeps , also put two back . 8:00 - noon. . . . 

Hey Cliff , I’m gonna try to send you a p m .

• Thumbs Up 1

Captain Acorn
Posted (edited)

Been a tough bite the last couple days for me. Catching a few here and there but no consistency. Caught fish on crawlers leechesand jigging raps but for the amount of fish I’m graphing not near enough catching All my bigger fish have came on the jigging raps. How is everyone else doing? 

Edited by Captain Acorn
  • Thumbs Up 1

PSU

It was slow for me Tuesday afternoon and Thursday in Frazer / Smarts Bay. Wednesday was very good in 20-25 feet leeches / crawlers on a Lindy or a jig. Absolutely beautiful weather!

• Thumbs Up 2

toddrun

Was up on the big V for the last week with the family.  First time for all of us on the lake.  And for a newbie, it was really tough fishing all week long.  We did better than every group we talked to in our resort, but that is not saying much.  Because of weather and other things, we fished for on 5 days, and managed just about 5 limits of Walleye total.  Was a great week to be on the lake though, what a beautiful lake, and everything else was awesome.  Just need better information for next visit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spss

Anyone have any luck around stuntz bay seven sisters area lately?

toddrun

Spss,

We tried both of those areas quite a bit the last week, pretty tough fishing.  Didn't even really mark that many fish in those 2 areas.  We have much better luck around Raspberry island, but even that was not stellar.  Smallmouth got better as the week went on, and one group in our resort said the Northern Pike were getting hot also, if you want to target them in that area.

Reid Saarela

Bite was OK for us this weekend. Marked tons of fish but they only seemed to bite in small feeding windows due to abundance of mayfly larva down there. When they decided bite, they were inhaling our leeches though.  Rocks next to mud was best for us. Highlight of the weekend was walleye pictured below. 

DD3E0986-6080-4434-8E22-08D08B67F089.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4

Cliff Wagenbach

Nice walleye Reid! How big?

Cliff

Reid Saarela

28.5, but the fattest walleye we’ve seen. My dad and I both agreed it was a bigger fish than my 30 last summer. Wish we would have weighed it but I would rather have the fish swim off healthy! 

• Thumbs Up 2

toddrun

Nice fish Reid,

We saw lots of clouds coming out of the mud also, but didn't know what was hatching.  Did see lots of dragonfly's, but not much for fishflies or mayflies in the air.  We didn't have any big fish luck for found keeper fish in the first rock edges around the mud.

A guy in our resort claimed he caught a 32" Walleye, but we didn't see any pic's, so not verified, although had several witnesses that confirmed it.  Would have been nice to see it though.