• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last year at this time I went through 6 dozen crawlers in four days and I wasn't even using a whole crawler but this is a much different year.

What would be the hardiest of my minnow choices? I'll be camping for 5 days far from any bait store and I'd like to keep the bait bucket mortality to a minimum.

Just got back from 8 days on the lake. WIND was the subject of the day the weekend around memorial day. Never seen it so windy for so many hours straight. I thought too windy to get on the water. I wonder if others get on in that wind??? Those were good days for cardboard crack at D 'Ericks in Tower

When we did get on the water, we found the bite best late in the day and best right at dusk. The fish at the end of the day were as shallow as two feet in several locations. East end of the lake but not big bay. With a tip from the young lady at Shamrock, we got on leeches and found it a better bite than rainbows and chubs. (what a great six dozen pour of minnows from Vermiion food and Fuel .......very healthy). Some very good slot fish thru the week. Two over the slot. We caught plenty of good eating fish. Interesting........not many really small fish. Not sure what that means..

The smallmouth fishing was a bit slow. We found very few fish on the banks. Fish were not chasing the faster baits like x raps, flukes, etc. We caught fish on tubes, hair jigs and other slower presentations. Some fish loft the deeper docks but most off the banks. I suspect a few warm days will move them up and make them chase..

Tried crawlers for a while again today but nothing doing!

Cliff

Any walleye reports on Big V this week?? Chatter seems to have slowed down a bit... I am heading up to the lake this wknd through next week for some action. Hopefully they are still hitting. See ya on Thursday afternoon Cliff !

grin

Klinger,

They are still biting well in a few spots!

Bait rigs with a minnow or at times a leech are still the best presentations. Deep water during the daylight hours and shallower early and late.

Cliff

Caught and released a 30 1/4 off Birch Point in 22.5 feet of water on Sunday morning. Just a Jig and a chub. Those times you guided me when I was with Pulte payed off Cliff....Keith Swenson

Thanks Keith!

Very nice walleye!

I heard that they were getting fish in that area but have not been there myself yet.

Cliff

Netman a bit of guidance on baitbucket mortality. Two things, don't put too many minnows in a bucket, I'd say 4-6 dozen max (and I'm not talking about 4-6 scoops), invest in another bait bucket or two. Second thing is put a rock in your bucket and make sure it's not floating on the surface of the water, the warmest water is that top 1 foot level, by putting a rcok in the bucket you will get it down to cooler water.

Of course as a bait seller, I probably should encourage everyone to do just the opposite, but if you do those two things your bait will live longer.

Smallmouth fishing HAD been tough all week for me, but even with the lousy cold weather and unbelievable wind today the fish showed up. I just wish I was starting my week on Saturday instead of ending it. I caught a Vermillion best 20" smallmouth today along with several others in the 18" range. I would have to say my best smallmouth day ever up this way. Kept the boat in 8' of water and within casting distance of the chunk rock banks(Woody's & Norwegian). Red rattl-trap seemed to be best with many being caught on first 10' of the retrieve. Then the bigger females started showing up on the docks (shaky head 4" green pumpkin worm). Just wish I had more than tomorrow to play !!

We got 27 eyes today on the west end! Only 3 over the slot and a few dinks.. Great fishing and great weather to go with it,, doesnt get any better than that!

You'd have to swing by in person to get that kind of info outta me casey grin I'll be workin tomorrow

How about a what time, depth, bait, etc? First day on the west end today and nothing, not even a perch. Brother in law got a 20"'er early in the morning.

Fished an East end reef this afternoon with two clients and we boated 23 walleyes. 12 of them were slot fish between 18" and 26-1/2 inches! Kept 7 very nice ones also.

That many slot fish in one day are rare on this end!

Will see if I can post a pick of the big one later.

Cliff

How about helping out a little redhead???? secret location????

As in a cute lil female redhead?????? Come down to Timbuktu i'll help you out grin

As in a cute lil female redhead??????

Sounds like assumptions are being made. gringrin

Anyway, thanks for all the fishing reports, everyone. Keep 'em coming, and let's keep it on topic. smile

I'm back from my worst Big V campimg trip ever! We (two of us) fished from Tuesday night through Saturday morning and the total catch was only 14 walleyes compared with over 100 in each of the last three years. We marked some fish in our usual spots but they didn't seem to want leeches or minnows.

We of course didn't purchase any crawlers which we eventually found out were the hot bait in our area. It was in the midst of a bait store fiasco that I got distracted enough to forget to purchase the two dozen crawlers I was planning on packing in with me (I won't elaborate becouse I don't believe this is the normal experience that a fisherman can expect to get from this particular establishment).

Still a nice time in a great part of the world. Lots of howling wolves wich was cool for a city dweller such as myself.

Going to be fishing the west end mostly next week if anyone can give me advice???? Seems like jig and minnows or leech mainly???? Lindy rigs? What color jig heads? Thanks!

Fishing has been going really well since my last post. Water temps have leveled off in the low 60's range and we have been blessed with several days of great fishing weather grin. For the most part, we have made our switch to leeches exclusively. We find that once the water temps maintain that 60+ degree mark in spring, leeches work best for us, especially for bigger fish. Please understand, I am stating what works for us and am not advocating that anyone change their methods. We have been finding fish on all types of structure including deep water mud flats(35'-40'), steep shoreline breaks in the 24'-28' range(especially if there are some "ins and outs" to it), nasty rock reefs topping out from 17'-20' and adjacent to deep water over 40'(we run a zig-zag trolling pattern along the deep edge of the reef running between 24' and ~30'), and humps that may be mud, scattered rocks, gravel or a combination. I think the main point that I'm trying to make is that we are now fishing a mostly summer pattern. Today, we fished a long, fairly narrow rock reef that tops out at ~17'. I found fish off one end of it in 30'-32' of water. We slooowwwly back trolled leeches using 1oz bottom bouncers, 3'-4' fluorocarbon 10# leaders, red bead and plain #6 Gamakatsu hook. The hits came between 25' and 30' as we backtrolled the deep edge of the reef. Snags are nuisance but the bouncers keep them to a minimum. We caught several beautiful walleyes including both slot fish up to 22.5" and the hard to find 16.999999" "eaters" whistle. The "hit" is like a snag that "GIVES" but still holds on. You have to be careful not to let them take it too long to prevent them from inhaling the hook. If there is the slightest question on any size C&R fish, I cut the line.

I hope this helps someone out. Good luck.

Good Fishing,

MarkB smile

Thanks mark, I enjoy the reports. I'll be up for 6 days at the inlaws place in big bay starting Tuesday, June 22nd. If anyone is looking for a fishing partner on an early morning, give me a shout. Excluding that Friday as my wife and her mother got me a sweet b-day gift.....a musky trip with Ace.

Mark, Thanks so much for the great report. You are the Man!!! The detail in your reports are appreciated!!!!! Good fishing and thanks again!

New to this forum. But sounds like the water temps are not as bad as I think and sounds as if the eyes are really turning around. But any reports on the muskies? I will be up next week just looking to see if it has turned around.

Just got back from the west end fishing for smallies. I was throwing everything I had for 5 straight hours but nada. I did learn that I have a lot to learn though.

Simple1

Great report Mark--

A quick question---about the only way I can talk the wife into fishing is if we troll----Hence my question....

What type of crankbaits do you recommend and how deep are you running them and what speed?

Also---Did you decide to get a reproduction of your trophy Walleye yet?

Will be up Sat the 18th for 5 days, staying at Grubens. Wondering if mayflys are hatching or projected to hatch during that time. We were there last year at the peak of the hatch and fishing was terrible for us although this was only the second time we had fished Vermilion. first time was in Sept 2009 and caught alot of fish then so last June was disappointing but still had a great time. Looking for any advice if a hatch is occurring. Have been reading over all the old posts and stocking up on all the great information here. Thanks to everyone that shares info for the newbies!!

The hatch can be frustrating, but I've also had some tremendous hauls right during the peak of the mayfly hatch. Two years ago I outfished my buddy 15-4 using jigs and leaches fishing shoulder-to-shoulder. IMO - the hatch is an excuse (albeit a good one) used for not catching fish during those times. Obviously the fish are hungry so finding the right presentation and enticement is the answer!

• The title was changed to 2020-21 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The title was changed to 2021 Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned