• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

SkunkedAgain

I saw a lot of guys running planner boards. We braved the cold ride Friday and Saturday, going from the far west end over near Shamrock. We spot locked in the wind and had pretty good success with the 11-13" walleyes but nothing of size except a few beautiful jumbo perch. We just used jigs in 30-35ft of water with rainbow minnows, the smaller the better. Big minnows were useless.

We didn't stay at any of the west end locations too long, but mostly because we weren't marking fish and weren't getting any bites. I would have liked to work longer for the bigger fish.

partyonpine

Also the bigger the minnow the better big rainbows and pike suckers.   Jig and a lindy

Pat McGraw

Fished mid-east end Saturday evening. 9-10' of water outside weedy bay. Pulling bronze shad-rap at 1.8 to 2mph from half hour before to forty-five minutes after dark. Four eyes ranging from 17 to 20".

• Thumbs Up 2

redlabguy

Glad to see some fishing is still happening and Congratulations on that PB! I’m not surprised. You started the year big so why not a big finish! 

Dick

BrianF

Thx Dick!  The fishing slowed with the big east winds that blew Sunday but we still managed 52 walleye (and a bonus musky) for the weekend with six overs - all casting and all released. The fish were beefy and very aggressive.  Had plans to fish muskies next weekend, but Mother Nature is saying otherwise based on the frigid forecast.  So, that looks like a wrap for the open water season — and it was the best ever. Now looking forward to ice. C’mon cold! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Reid Saarela

BrianF, if you don't mind me asking, What type of structure were you guys targeting. I've had pretty good luck using casting artificials in the spring, never tried it in the fall though!

BrianF

Reid, we’ve been targeting them on 10-14’ flats that break into deep water. Find them with side imaging, cast, catch, repeat. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Pat McGraw

Any current water temp or ice reports? With single digits at night and 20's in the day, first ice can't be too far away.

mbeyer

some ice on Pike Bay this morning shown on the webcams....

lakevermilionresorts.com

outdoor1

Brianf

When you are using artificials, are you casting cranks or more soft plastics on jigs?

Thanks!

Paul

Edited by outdoor1

BrianF

Both actually.  No magic to the presentation.  We usually have some kind of plastic going and some kind of crankbait going to see if there is any preference that day.  Honestly, it doesn’t seem to matter.  What matters most is finding the fish and casting to them.  We’ve caught them on everything from swimbaits to lipless crankbait to untipped hair jigs.  Throw what you have confidence in to a big school of fish and they’ll probably slurp it down.  Next spring... lol

Edited by BrianF
  • Thumbs Up 2

Spearing Machine

Much of pike bay was froze yesterday. This morning it's firmed up much more. Got about 4 inches of snow up here right now so you see a lot of wet spots on the ice right now with it flooding and slushy.  Few more cool days and then warmer on the extended. Not great for ice making.

Esox62

Agreed spear...not looking great right now in my bay. Might be any while for safe ice

Pat McGraw

Frazer Bay also started to freeze Saturday. Loosely estimate 40% ice to 60% open with patches of ice throughout the open areas as well.

Raven77

Head O' Lakes and Wakemup are wide open.  Richie has a little ice in the far east end.  There was more ice when I got here on Saturday than there is now due to the wind picking up.  Was below 0 this morning but looks like we have a warming trend coming.

J.D.

Could we still put a boat in somewhere?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorgy

Call Whispering Winds Resort on Head O Lakes Bay. They face the main lake basin. and have a ramp.

Sorgy

Nevermind the above post. Take a look at the webcams around the lake and there is very little open water. I had read Raven77's report and with the calm conditions and cold she iced up. If a good wind blows it may open up some but by the looks of things it will not happen again until spring.

Lets hope for good safe ice conditions this winter and a nice snowpack for the snowmobiles.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 3

Raven77

Changed big time overnight.