• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

FishinCT

JL- what kind of structure was that 15 FOW? I think we fish the same kind of areas, just different parts of the lake. Hopefully it would work near me

JerkinLips

FCT - rocky bottom narrows between two islands.  Very slow at times.  Just had to be there when they were biting.

• Thanks 1

PSU

Great fishing today friends. Chilly, but LOTS of fish to be had, mostly 10-12" (unfortunately) in 35 feet jig and minnow..

Probably a very dumb question, but when I jig, I never have a challenge with the rainbow minnow coming off the hook unless there is a bite. I always hook the minnow starting under the "neck/mouth" and through the forehead. This being said, when I slip bobber fish off the dock with an identical jig and minnow, I cant seem to keep the minnow from coming off nearly every time without even a bite....

Any suggestions/rationale, oh truly brilliant panel of experts?

FishinCT

Thanks for the report. We used lindys and pike suckers today. Little slow but did get a few nice fish in 23-30ft. Will switch to jigs tomorrow. Fish seemed to be very concentrated when we got on them and jigs will work much better for that with my boat control style

EyeWannabee

PSU 

I have used a tiny piece of plastic worm to hold minnows on in the past. Hook minnow as u stated up through mouth then bite a small piece of rubber worm and push it just past barb to hold bait from working it’s way back off

Sushilicious

Another way i hook minnows when they r soft or I'm getting a weak bit. Is 2 put the hook through the mouth n have the tip of the hook come out after the gill plate. Then spin the hook 180° n put the hook through the side of minnow.

PSU

Good tips, much appreciated!

fishingdad

FishinCT  I sent you a PM

kaparzo

Fished Frazer, Daisy and Big Bay in 16-40’ this past Friday and Saturday. Only managed 4 eyes and a decent smallie. All fish were caught on a jiggin rap. Couldn’t buy a fish with any live bait presentations. 

chucker1101

Fished Sat/Sun, about 8 hours each day, with four people total.  Lindy rigged with pike suckers exclusively. Two people were brand new to lindy rigging, and were learning the technique on the fly. 

Group caught 28 fish total, kept 12 fish - 10 walleyes and 2 jumbo perch. We got two slot walleyes at 24" and 25", and two good-size northerns as well. Only got two walleye keepers in 15-18" range, the other eight keepers were 12-14".  As others have said, the channels between islands and mainland, or islands and islands, were producing best for us. We caught almost all fish in one of those locations. Depth varied from 17-25', but never really too deep.

• Thumbs Up 1

SkunkedAgain

Is anyone out there still working for walleye? Cliff?

FishinCT

I've been out every day since Thursday. It's been really tough. Decent amount of small fish but keepers have been few and far between. Haven't found good numbers in any of my usual fall spots. Tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked. Haven't been to big bay much because of wind. Fished frazer and daisy bay mostly. 

I'm interested if anyone else is doing any better as well. 

Spearing Machine

Kudos to anyone that's been out. We've had 7 straight days of rain and or snow including waking up to 3-4 inches today. Lots of wind with ask three fronts pushing through. Based on my water temps a week ago before the 2 snow events and temps all sub 40. I'd go and say water temps are around 40 now maybe even upper 30s in shallow protected bays. I had 46 on the one day last week we had a couple hours of sun.

FishinCT

I had water temp at 47 today. I agree that you would think with the temps we've had it'd be lower. Gave jigging raps a good try today so I didn't have to mess with the minnow bucket. Got a 22" and a fingerling. Seemed like a decent amount of guys out today. 

I'm officially out of good ideas. If anyone has some suggestions I'll go try them out!

james_walleye

Not feeling much optimism as I get ready for 4 days up over MEA.

Pat McGraw

Try running shad raps at ~2mph along first ~10' deep area outside of shallow, weedy bays (Larson for example), especially at or just after dark. Revisit safety considerations. After months of warm water fishing its easy to forget that the consequences of incidents can quickly become life threatening now that we're back to opener water temps.

FishinCT

James you are going to be fine. Weather is going to stabilize this week and I would bet they'll be snapping again by next weekend. The past week the weather has been changing every day and that's what has made it tough I think.

PSU

Funny how things can change so quickly. We were up for the last time of the year (closed Sunday) and had incredible walleye fishing in Frazer / Smarts from Thursday-Sunday. Literally couldn't keep the walleyes off my minnow and jig for three days fishing 30-35 feet. Mostly smaller walleyes (10-12 inches), but keepers were had too.

Good luck

Spearing Machine

South end of pike bay was froze over this morning with skim ice. Hope to get back out in the boat this week with average temps "hopefully" on the way by later in the week.

JerkinLips

SM - thanks for the info.  Might be an early ice fishing start.  Still hope for some more soft water fishing this season, but either way I will be fishing.  Glad I lifted my boat/motor out of the water in Stuntz Bay.

outdoor1
On 10/12/2018 at 8:15 AM, Pat McGraw said:

Try running shad raps at ~2mph along first ~10' deep area outside of shallow, weedy bays (Larson for example), especially at or just after dark. Revisit safety considerations. After months of warm water fishing its easy to forget that the consequences of incidents can quickly become life threatening now that we're back to opener water temps.

I was wondering if raps at 2 mph would work now. Will the fish still chase them down when the water temps are in the low 40s?

FishinCT

Fishing Friday and Saturday was a dramatic shift. Seems the west wind got them going. Found a reef on Friday that was loaded up with fish and they were hungry. Fished it for a few hours before losing the battle to the cold. 3 pig smallies up top in 18-20 feet, 3 keeper walleyes between 16-18" and one 25" on the sides of the reef to the transition in 24-30 feet, and 2 jumbos off the transition in the mud at 32 feet. Also lost a BIG fish--the kind that your heart sinks when it comes off the line. 

Saturday was more of the same. Biting a little lighter but we managed 6 walleyes from 15-19" in between the rain and getting blown off the lake. Could've easily limited if not for some "miscues"

Did try a little bit of trolling close to dark but only picked up a small muskie. Lots of guys out trolling all weekend but I'm not sure if they were going for walleyes or muskies. Interested to know if anyone on here was one of those guys and will give a report. 

Wish I was starting my trip now instead of sitting at home. I think this is going to be a phenomenal week of fishing now that the weather is going to stabilize and warm up. Best of luck to everyone the rest of the year and stay safe. Saw some of the biggest waves I've seen on vermilion with the wind last week. Can get hairy pretty quickly out there

• Thumbs Up 2

Pat McGraw

outdoor1,

My experience has been that this approach works all the way through October.

outdoor1

Thanks for the info!  I just started lead core trolling this past summer but it really quit about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was water temperature but it sounds like I need to switch locations. I had been trolling 24 to 34 feet on Big Bay at 2 mph with #5 raps

Fish Head
51 minutes ago, outdoor1 said:

Thanks for the info!  I just started lead core trolling this past summer but it really quit about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was water temperature but it sounds like I need to switch locations. I had been trolling 24 to 34 feet on Big Bay at 2 mph with #5 raps

I do a lot of lead core trolloing too.  My expierence has been that when it really cools down like it did a couple weeks ago, you are better of changing tactics to sucker minnows. Maybe others will have a different opinion.