• GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

  • Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

     
      You know what we all love...

      The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

      Have Fun!!!

Recommended Posts

PSU

Hello Friends

I hope you don't mind me setting up a new 2018 open water fishing report thread, but thought it would be easier to follow versus the couple of other ice/strategy/water temp, etc. reports.

Coming up tomorrow and can't wait to be on the water.

Looking forward to reading everyone's challenges, successes, and pictures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PSU

How has the fishing been the middle of the week? Looks like from what I've read, deeper has been fairly successful in the 22'-30 foot range. Plenty of opportunities for that depth in my neighborhood (Frazer/Smarts Bay). Planning to grab some rainbows on my way in at Northwoods, hopefully that's the ticket.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cliff Wagenbach

I have been fishing mostly deep water, 26' to 32', depths in Big Bay.

Plenty of eating sized fish there!

Bigger walleyes are coming out of shallow water, 3' to 12' depths.

I have been using mostly chubs and suckers on lindys.

Cliff

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
guideman

Like Cliffy said, except I have been using jigs most of the time. I have also used a plain lindy at times however I am a jig guy most of the time. ;) 

"Ace" ;) 

"It's just fishing man"  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wakemup

Stuck out tonight on the west end, was finally able to get the boat in the water and all fired up. I am kicking myself for forgetting my fish finder at home so I’m flying blind. Stuck out tonight jogging for walleyes in Niles and the mouth of wakemup narrows. 

 

Got it off the lake a little bit ago before some of the rain and wind came. Will give it a shot again tomorrow.

Had anyone been fishing smallies or have any reports there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BRL

Ugly Saturday on Norwegian Bay. One Pike off of Windsock Island, nothing else much to speak of. Cold and windy but finished off with a beautiful Evening. There were a couple of good eyes caught near the north end, a 27" and a couple in the slots but most boats didn't see much. I saw 2 caught in front of the beach at Life of Riley in a matter of a couple minutes. 

Sunday morning we met up with some friends and went out of Tower. Dragging bottom bouncers with minnows in 24-32' produced 11 keepers between the 4 of us, largest about 16" and lots of throw backs. Best luck just off of Priest Island. 4 hours of fishing with everyone except me pulling them in the boat until the last 10 minutes I put two in the livewell. I broke off with 10 minutes to go and was going to quit when everyone said "no, keep going!"  Glad I did cause I finished strong and redeemed myself. Never give up!IMG_1537.thumb.JPG.898ef6784bd69a84365b4ff2d7ff17ab.JPGIMG_1533.thumb.PNG.52f44b2137d7bfac6607b5eeb55e8163.PNGIMG_1538.thumb.JPG.69703053efd8844781f5c28a154cf600.JPG

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redlabguy

We had two fishing tournaments this weekend. Walleyes on Saturday and bass on Sunday. I met the bass winners today and talked to them about their walleye win Saturday. That’s right, they won both! 

On Saturday, they entered the walleye tournament but just because they were on the lake to pre-fish for bass. They fished with stick baits in shallow water, looking for bass beds. As shallow as 4’. And dang if they didn’t keep catching walleyes. Big ones, including 2 over 26”. 21 lbs. in all.

Apparently, they’re pretty good at finding bass, too. Big $ weekend for them!

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raven77

Interesting. So the sows are still in shallow?

We fished 10-24' the past 3 days and have done well with a lot of 14-18" eyes using Lindy rigs and rainbows.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CigarGuy
2 hours ago, Raven77 said:

Interesting. So the sows are still in shallow?

We fished 10-24' the past 3 days and have done well with a lot of 14-18" eyes using Lindy rigs and rainbows.  

Chad, was that on the West end?  My turn to follow you around ?. I'll be back up Thursday night!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wakemup

Very nice! I was kicking myself real hard this weekend for forgetting my fish finder at home. I did manage to bring this smallie in, but they were tough to pattern for me and this was the only noteworthy fish of the weekend.

Hope the water temps come up and I can get back next weekend!

CB69BF86-33AE-47AB-AE94-B77814432ED7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vermilionfox
14 hours ago, BRL said:

Ugly Saturday on Norwegian Bay. One Pike off of Windsock Island, nothing else much to speak of. Cold and windy but finished off with a beautiful Evening. There were a couple of good eyes caught near the north end, a 27" and a couple in the slots but most boats didn't see much. I saw 2 caught in front of the beach at Life of Riley in a matter of a couple minutes. 

Sunday morning we met up with some friends and went out of Tower. Dragging bottom bouncers with minnows in 24-32' produced 11 keepers between the 4 of us, largest about 16" and lots of throw backs. Best luck just off of Priest Island. 4 hours of fishing with everyone except me pulling them in the boat until the last 10 minutes I put two in the livewell. I broke off with 10 minutes to go and was going to quit when everyone said "no, keep going!"  Glad I did cause I finished strong and redeemed myself. Never give up!IMG_1537.thumb.JPG.898ef6784bd69a84365b4ff2d7ff17ab.JPGIMG_1533.thumb.PNG.52f44b2137d7bfac6607b5eeb55e8163.PNGIMG_1538.thumb.JPG.69703053efd8844781f5c28a154cf600.JPG

I recognize where those pictures were taken!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PSU

Any sense to when the walleye tournament results will be posted? Always enjoy reading the names and weights.

Aside from Saturday morning, we did very well Thursday-Sunday. LOTS of tiny walleyes in the Frazer/Smart's Bay area, but did manage plenty of keeper fish in 22-35 feet with Lindy's/Jigs and rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephen L Johnston Jr.

I saw the guy who bought our cabin, Ryan Aker, came in 4th. A couple of 7lb fish and i thought i saw a team with a 10lb fish also.

16 hours ago, redlabguy said:

We had two fishing tournaments this weekend. Walleyes on Saturday and bass on Sunday. I met the bass winners today and talked to them about their walleye win Saturday. That’s right, they won both! 

On Saturday, they entered the walleye tournament but just because they were on the lake to pre-fish for bass. They fished with stick baits in shallow water, looking for bass beds. As shallow as 4’. And dang if they didn’t keep catching walleyes. Big ones, including 2 over 26”. 21 lbs. in all.

Apparently, they’re pretty good at finding bass, too. Big $ weekend for them!

Shhhhhh, the shallow is a secret. We fish quite often in 5' or less, Often watching the guides out on the sandy flats from a far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wheres_Walter

We fished Frazer bay Friday and Saturday afternoon-sundown.  Early evening we did best in 30-35 FOW on lindys and chartruese jigs with chubs.  The last 90 min before dark we had more success at 7-12 FOW.  Nothing big but we caught a lot of 10-14" fish, more than enough to fill a skillet for our group of 5, plus put a few in the freezer.  All around great weekend, look forward to hitting it again this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFitz
On 5/20/2018 at 5:09 PM, redlabguy said:

I met the bass winners today and talked to them about their walleye win Saturday

Nice meeting ya yesterday Redlabguy, wish I would have known you were on this forum too! My dad and I had an awesome weekend on Vermilion, things just came together perfectly. We're both on cloud nine!

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redlabguy

I hope you and your dad don’t mind passing along the story of your weekend. It’s a great story and defies conventional wisdom. Congratulations! The best fishermen have skill, intuition, and a little luck on their side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
james_walleye

Congrats jfitz! I was in boat 85 in the big tiller Lund right behind you guys leaving the harbor. Our nice fish we had going completely disappeared on us. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JFitz

Thanks, James! That weather really put fish on the move.

Our focus for the tournament was to get two big bites and catch a pair over 26". We felt like in order to do that we had to go west. We had a milk run of spots that were taking big wind so we just rotated through them during the day. Our fish came from 3'-13' casting jerkbaits, Rippin Raps and swimbaits. My dad had been catching a lot of walleyes on shallow rocks while pre-fishing for the bass tourney which really tipped us off on some locations and presentations.

We only caught six walleyes during the tournament but they were the right ones. We feel unbelievably fortunate to have had such an awesome experience!

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephen L Johnston Jr.

Thanks for the share Fitz! I noticed you guys had a couple of nice ones on saturdays event, i was curious how thatcame about. Congratulations on the crazy

9 hours ago, JFitz said:

Thanks, James! That weather really put fish on the move.

Our focus for the tournament was to get two big bites and catch a pair over 26". We felt like in order to do that we had to go west. We had a milk run of spots that were taking big wind so we just rotated through them during the day. Our fish came from 3'-13' casting jerkbaits, Rippin Raps and swimbaits. My dad had been catching a lot of walleyes on shallow rocks while pre-fishing for the bass tourney which really tipped us off on some locations and presentations.

We only caught six walleyes during the tournament but they were the right ones. We feel unbelievably fortunate to have had such an awesome experience!

weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wheres_Walter

Headed up tomorrow for Memorial weekend.  Any tips on walleye patterns?  Deep?  Shallow?  Still chubs/rainbows?  Not looking for spots or secrets, just a little info to get started.   Smallies move up yet with the water temp rising?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wakemup

Any reports from Frazier bay at all? I’m thinking of making a run in my little boat the narrows. I’m itching to catch some walleye for the frying pan and think heading east may be my best bet but want to see if there’s any info out there before I make the 45 minutes trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cliff Wagenbach

I heard reports that the Fectos Point area has been good. I have not been there though.

Big Bay is still going.

I caught 7 in about an hour right at noon in pouring rain!

Cliff

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PSU

Fished Frazer / Smarts Bay Thursday - Sunday. Overall the fishing was slow for me with the exception of smaller walleye (8-10 inches). Really different than the prior weekend where we really had tons of success. The water temp jumped dramatically from 55 ish (prior weekend) to 71 when we left yesterday. Tried Rainbows on jigs or lindy rigs at all depths. Did manage to have Sunday fish fry after a decent Sunday morning (35-40 feet). BEAUTIFUL weekend though..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
partyonpine

Coming up today for a week, sounds like big bay fectos point 30-40 fow, are they still on a minnow bite, I will throw everything at them crawlers, minnow, leeches.  Any bass reports or is it still to early and they are holding in deep water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • smalljaw
      Posted this last September but it disappeared.      
    • Luzaich
      6 miles from birchdale 
    • Cret Jigs
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      The article "The skinny on bulls" is spot on! I am going to briefly add a couple points that may help understand this bite. First, the north end/side is better than the rest of the lake, If all other conditions are equal. Second, muddy bottom is king, and I think I can explain why and exactly what to look for. Once the edges of the lake melt away the connecting ice and the snow has melted away the ice will typically rise/float up. The pencil reeds are mentioned as being prime structure but they actually provide very little cover under the ice. What they do provide is bugs that get dislodged when the reeds are pulled up with the floating sheet of ice and the rootball pulls out of the mud. Those bugs/invertabrates then rise to the bottom of the ice, providing an easy meal for panfish. When I am fishing this pattern I drill holes all over the emergent reed patch with my 10" blade. This will provide a nice "window" and will they rarely freeze up this time of year, in fact some will probably get larger as warm surface water goes through them. Then you won't need anything but a rod to fish the next day. I will generally hop from hole to hole dropping my presentation just a foot or maybe two under the ice, give it a few shakes while watching for incoming fish and after a minute or usually less, I move to the next hole and repeat. Man, have I caught some nice fish with this pattern!! I generally leave the vexilar, portable and auger at home once holes are drilled. Things that I do bring are a rod or two with 6-8 pound test, Waxworms or gulp, a bucket and a 14'-16' 2x12 plank to get out to the walkable ice. If you haven't read the article on the home page yet, you should, since this is just an added supplement to that well timed article. Stay safe and good luck. Keeping the 8"-9" gills and 10"-12" crappie to eat and the larger ones to spread the superior genetics will result in larger fish each year. See you out there!😉🎣
    • jaketaylor39
      16 foot Lowe Roughneck modified V hull for sale. Bought new in 2016. Has the optional floor and casting deck installed as well as a gun box. Powered by a 25hp Mercury fourstroke on the back and a 55lb Minnkota powerdrive bow mount trolling motor. Only reason I’m looking to sell it is because I’m upgrading to a larger full time fishing boat. This boat has been used primarily fishing but has seen time both duck hunting and bowfishing. Asking $8500 or best offer. Email to [email protected] works best for starting the conversation. 
    • smurfy
      yea, but I think I've heard that somewhere here before!!!!!!!!!
    • monstermoose78
      There is a crust cret jigs but the side by side was moving around well. The access is getting soft Baxter would be easier on and off. I think you come in from the west side of blue so you would be ok. The ice was around 24-30 inches
    • mrpike1973
      The 6.5 is A great round.
    • Mike89
      I do!!!   🤣
    • Cret Jigs
      How thick was the ice?   ....   can an ATV go out on the lake?