• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Jmnhunter

Propane smell from tanks?

Question

Jmnhunter

i have a ice castle with 2-30lb tanks that has one of those camco plastic propane covers. when i take the top off to look at the valves and regulator assembly, I get a slight smell of propane, doesnt seem constant or strong.

the 2 stage auto change over regulator is only about 3 years old; so i'm not sure if its coming from a "vent" from the regulator-if there is such a thing? I've taken off the tanks and tested them separately and the leak is not coming from the tanks, i've isolated it to the regulator/hoses as I could still get a slight smell with the tanks off even a few days after. So i'm not sure if this is normal or indeed a true leak? I've tried spraying the tank connections with soapy water with no signs of a leak, I did not test the main hose that connects to the regulator, although I did put some new thread tape on that and it made no difference. 

is there supposed to be some slow vent causing a slight smell? Which I suppose would make sense with the heat beating on the tanks all day

10 answers to this question

leech~~
Posted (edited)

If one of your tanks is near empty it may smell stronger as the rotten egg odor they add to propane seems to be really strong at the end. I just ran one of my 100 lbsers out up at the camper last weekend and since it was the first time I started the heat this year I was thinking leak? 🙁  But once I shut it off and switched to the full tank it went away.  Good luck.

Edited by leech~~

PRO-V

The vent on the regulator does not vent gas. Only compensates for change of air pressure on the diaphragm.

• Like 1

Jmnhunter

hmm, i may need to replace the whole assembly

PRO-V

Do a leak test on the whole business while pressurized.

hayseed

I had a gas smell in a propane line and bought a hand held explosive gas detector from Menards for $20.00. Found the leak on the first pass. Worked great. 

• Like 3

leech~~
1 hour ago, hayseed said:

I had a gas smell in a propane line and bought a hand held explosive gas detector from Menards for $20.00. Found the leak on the first pass. Worked great.

This dealy?  Sounds like the thing to get for the camper or Ice house. Thanks for the tip. :)

Portable Gas Detector

Model Number: 240PGD

Menards® SKU: 3644350

EVERYDAY LOW PRICE $22.76

SALE PRICE $19.99  Limited Time Offer

364-4350.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Almquist

I have never seen these. Might just have to pick one up.

rundrave

I was smelling propane and figured I had leak some where at my home. Called my propane co-op and they came out with a similar tool and we were able to pinpoint the exact location it was leaking. Then it was re-affirmed with some dishsoap and water over the same spot. 

Jmnhunter

hmm, great to know, thanks!

Jmnhunter

i cant narrow it down, just ordered a new regulator  and hose assembly instead; cant find replacement hoses locally anyhow that i could test out