• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Getanet

I know there are more than 300 islands on Lake Vermilion, but I was wondering if most of them are private, or could a guy throw some camping gear in his boat and stay overnight on one (obviously one that is uninhabited)? If that's possible, does anyone know of any resources that identify which ones are private and which ones would be available for something like that?

Cliff Wagenbach

Check the lakevermilion.com site for a list of public campsites on Lake Vermilion.

Cliff

• Like 1

chucker1101

There are 11 sites on/around Hinsdale Island, managed by the State DNR through one of the local parks (used to be Bear Island, it now might be Soudan Mine Park).

Here's a link:  http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/state_parks/lake_vermilion_soudan_underground_mine/Hinsdale_map.pdf

I think they're free to use, first come / first serve.  #11 is my favorite. I've heard that the ones on Hinsdale island have occasional visits from bears.

• Like 1

Getanet

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have some research to do. Chucker, do you know if Hinsdale Island has a place to dock a boat ?  I'd hate to have it banging against rocks all night.

Cliff Wagenbach
Posted (edited)

I do not think that there are docks at the overnight campsites but some do have sandy shorelines. Most of the shore lunch/picnic  sites do have docks but are not overnight camping sites.

Cliff

Edited by Cliff Wagenbach

brrrr

I camped at a couple sites a few years ago.  no docks, but most of the sites had a half way decent place to put the boat in.  one had a decent log to tie to.  another I threw a couple anchors out back and was able to tie off to a couple trees to keep the boat close yet off the rocks. 

chucker1101

These aren't campsites to bring your Ranger fiberglass or decked-out Lund into. They're better fitted for smaller 14-16 ft alum boats, something you can drag on shore. Though i'm sure you can figure out how to secure something bigger.

Cliff is right, most have sandy/pebble shorelines to pull a smaller boat onto. Almost all of them are well-protected from the prevailing WSW wind. You're gonna get wakes rolling into shore from passing boats, though, as it's a pretty well traveled section of the lake.

TomWehler

Good info to me even. Cliff you can delete my story n junk. Most people don’t know me round here anymore n for sure the humor of life is of no interest. Under stand only want the facts mama. Just the facts. 😎 I endeavor to persevere.  Beef!   

Slopfishin
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TomWehler said:

Good info to me even. Cliff you can delete my story n junk. Most people don’t know me round here anymore n for sure the humor of life is of no interest. Under stand only want the facts mama. Just the facts. 😎 I endeavor to persevere.  Beef!   

Why delete your post?  I actually enjoyed reading that story. Seeing stories like yours is half the reason I like checking out this site (I like to check out all the different lake boards on fishingminnesota). 

Edited by Slopfishin
  • Like 4

FishinCT

We used to camp on hinsdale all the time. There is one spot on the south shore closer to the east end we stayed almost every time. It's got a big rock outcrop on a small point that slopes down to the water. The picnic table and fire ring are in the open up top. Wide open space and a good breeze will keep the bugs off you. Tent site is fairly hidden. That's the best spot we ever found. Only downside is boat parking. I remember tying up on a log off the the side so probably the same site mentioned earlier. 

We stayed there a ton when I was younger and never had any bear encounters, but the bear boxes are there for a reason!

Cliff Wagenbach

I agree with the others Tommy!

I always enjoy your bits of wisdom and humor!

Cliff

SkunkedAgain

Keep on rockin' Tommy. 

Wakemup
33 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Keep on rockin' Tommy. 

X2 :)

mdogdaddy
On 4/23/2018 at 10:59 AM, Getanet said:

I know there are more than 300 islands on Lake Vermilion, but I was wondering if most of them are private, or could a guy throw some camping gear in his boat and stay overnight on one (obviously one that is uninhabited)? If that's possible, does anyone know of any resources that identify which ones are private and which ones would be available for something like that?

I found a very handy app for this. It's called onX Hunt Maps.  (I'm just a user)

It's primarily designed for hunters that want to know where state/federal vs private lands are.  To see property lines etc. you need the paid (premium) version. The free version comes with a trial of the premium version for 7 days. But even the free version does quite a bit.

It's pretty interesting for Vermilion because there is so much of each - private and state/federal lands. You can click on each parcel and it will even give the acreage, landowner names and tax address.  If I pull up to shore, I really want to know that I'm not trespassing. GPS works along with markers/waypoints. Maps can be stored for offline use so you  can use it without phone service or wifi.

The free version comes with a trial of the premium version for 7 days.

I added a zoomed out screen grab.

onX.jpg

• Like 1

Nix769
5 hours ago, delcecchi said:

St Louis county has something similar on their web sight (sic)

https://gis.stlouiscountymn.gov/LandExplorer/

You can also get the ArcGIS app to access the county files on your mobile or download the .kmz files on the county site to use in Google Earth.

Either way very useful.

delcecchi

Yes, had it on wife's iphone when that was the only smartphone in the family.   I think I would have to have one of the huge phablets to be able to see anything but I am old and don't see that well anymore, when it comes to fine detail.  

But good you mentioned it since I had forgotten about it.