• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

well I never?  Here's another. May have to give that a try.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi. Figured everyone did that. Hmmmm?  Life long pal Rene Franckuz Way Up end of road Red Lake Ontario showed me that lil yummy rid bit long time ago when we was both still young, he had hair n both loved BEER N BRANDY with anything 24/7. Called them Yanks! Nice videos to share. Try it you will like it. Mmmmm hungry!! Keep on Rocken!  T

• Thumbs Up 1

Just make sure there are not any tiny , tiny little bloodsuckers attached to the fins , as they so often are up on these front fins ..  I don't mean to spoil ur appetite... like the cheeks ,these wings need to come from a larger walleye in order to get much out it ..

• Thumbs Up 1

Never heard of that in all my years! They look delicious! I take my dad to Rainy Lake ever June for his birthday and do a nice shore lunch. Walleye wings will be on the menu this year! Thanks for the thread!

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Better Than Working! said:

Never heard of that in all my years! They look delicious! I take my dad to Rainy Lake ever June for his birthday and do a nice shore lunch. Walleye wings will be on the menu this year! Thanks for the thread!

Welcome, Better Then Work!  

Hope you and your Dad hit it hard up there, time with family is what life is all about. Make sure to post a report in the Rainy Lake thread. We want to see pictures too! :) 

Edited by leech~~

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Heard about these. Have done the cheeks but this ill have to try. 

We always called them wing-dings! I also learned that trick on LOW. Very tasty!!

Cliff

This is great! I’ve never heard of this either Skunked, thanks for sharing- will give it a shot this summer!

I have to admit I never heard of it.  I will certainly give it a try.  I am surprised by the number of people that haven't done the cheeks before.  This will really get em.  Thanks.  

Thanks to all for sharing.  I also hadn't heard of this before.

Regarding the cheeks, what size does the walleye need to be to make them worthwhile?  I never keep any walleyes over 20".

Only two small chunks on each walleye from the cheeks.  So if you are only cleaning a couple, I'm not sure what you would do with them, except eat them while cooking the fillets.  Won't be enough to do much of anything else with.

• Thumbs Up 1

a couple bites of mmm mmmm good. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

Any walleye is fine for getting cheeks. Obviously the bigger the large the peices you get. 

The cheeks could be good sushi if you like the texture. Too chewy for my taste. Now I just pop them in the frying pan for about 10 seconds for a tasty appetizer 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

The cheeks are almost like scallops!

Cliff

Really small scallops :P

I've been doing them for many years.  Like Cliff, a friend who was a guide on LOW brought some out prior to the main course-been doing it since. 

I've done cheeks quite a few times and they are always good. They take only a few seconds to carve out. I like to get the most out of the things I kill to eat, so I'm not afraid to pull them out of smaller ones.

I'm glad to see that so many people picked up a new tip. That's the point of congregating on these forums. I wonder how many non-registered folks will read this and learn something new.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious about the walleye wings... do you skin or scale them?   Or is it not a problem?  

Del,

I have never bothered to skin or scale them as I do not eat the skin or fins.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I'm curious about the walleye wings... do you skin or scale them?   Or is it not a problem?  

watch the video, shows them scaling them... 

I just cut it out, dip it in the breading, fry it fins up/meat down, and eat the meat off like you are eating oysters.

13 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I just cut it out, dip it in the breading, fry it fins up/meat down, and eat the meat off like you are eating oysters.

Now that sounds like a plan.   

Funny, I first heard of this on LOTW also about 8-10 years ago.  They're tasty but honestly I often forget about doing it. 

This has been an interesting thread.  Walleye wings is new to me and I am going to do this to provide a different experience.  Thank you all for sharing!!!

tried this last year,   not worth it in my opinion.    But I always wondered if I could eat the rusty crayfish.  has anyone tried? 

meerkat,

Many people eat the rusties. Very tasty but like walleye wings it takes a lot for a meal!

Cliff

5 minutes ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

meerkat,

Many people eat the rusties. Very tasty but like walleye wings it takes a lot for a meal!

Cliff

what do you use for bait?  I heard you can't use left over fish guts.   do you have to soak them?  sorry not sure what that process is called.