• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

delcecchi
On 4/16/2018 at 11:16 AM, jkrash said:

We're going to need about 3 weeks of above freezing temps to get rid of the ice, I think at this time we are in trouble for a ice free opener  :2c:

Opener?  I'm getting worried about Quetico the first week in June.:(

Wakemup

I was hoping to take the week after opener off and spend some time at the cabin getting everything opened up and doing some serious fishing but I think I may need to adjust that plan thanks to Mother Nature!

JerkinLips

Weather doesn't look great for clearing ice; mid 50's highs and low-mid 30's lows for the next two weeks.  Unless something changes drastically, I still think we are going to be near record late ice out (May 24).

Cliff Wagenbach

I went out fishing on Big Bay today. 36 inches of solid ice out there!

Cliff

• Sad 3

TomWehler
Posted (edited)

Sound fun Cliff, sad about ice, will split when ready.

Any Bites?

: )

25 inches on Minnetonka I saw today.

Was out about mile from here musky acres with my Polar Bear Boy fer pannies...no doubt fun and its still hard n still 24"

New med's for Bear n he is feeling great an has some cool studdly strut going on. Big Smiles for almost 12.

Miss my lil island cabin n docks.........but........no fooling round with Mother Nature.

Think good thinks, be safe, enjoy it all.

Keep on rocken!

Tommy

Ice18-2.jpg

Ice17-5.jpg

Ice18-1.jpg

Edited by TomWehler
  • Thumbs Up 4

TomWehler

Fun stuff, nice catch, beautys.

• Mmmmmm Sizzling sides of yummy goodness!

T

Wakemup
16 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Bear looks good and looks like he is enjoying life!

Got a few eating sized fish today. Enough for a couple of meals for Jean and I!

Couple of real nice bluegills in the bunch!

20180418_143144.jpg

20180418_145455.jpg

20180418_153655.jpg

Those look good!

Now the question is, do you scale them and cook them skin on or separate the filet from the skin?

I became a fan about 5 years ago of scaling and leaving the skin on for some extra crisp!

SkunkedAgain

Crispy tail fins!

• Thumbs Up 2

snagger

Has anyone heard what they'll do about the City Auto Glass walleye tourney if the ice isn't off by May 19? Even if the ice is off....will they close Pike Bay?

Cliff Wagenbach

Wakemup,

I also like them scaled and the skin crispy but hate all of those scales every where so I fillet them with no skin.

Cliff

I have not heard any news about the City Auto Glass.

Pike Bay will be open to fishing. Ice being off of it will be close!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

TomWehler
Posted (edited)

Scaled n skin on after gut n de-head. Wash n batter n sizzle. Fork at Dorsel n whole fillet falls onto plate or butter bun or hounds mouth. : ). Mmmmm sooo good.      I dream melt ice at Nine inches per week starting today -  Pike bay be open day before opener clear out to Marauderville. Then Bonnie n I n Polar Bear do opener on Docks as per our tradition. Dreams are fun.   Then everyone wants to can enjoy the fever reducer that is our sweet Vermilion. Big Smiles. Maybe weekend after opener?  All good but just miss our lil chunk of paradise x million. An lake friends n nuts.  Think warm thinks!  Thanks for letting me post some n butt in on threads a bit. Still two feet of snow here n same ice an nothing to do outside easy.  Peace...     T

Edited by TomWehler

OhioVike

Tom, good thoughts now we need good weather!

• Thumbs Up 1

ProGuideEyes

Did you leave vermilion Tom???

• Haha 1

CigarGuy

Was out for a while on the Partridge River this afternoon, didn't have any minnows, managed one 13" crappie on Gulp waxes.  But, the old Strikemaster almost bottomed out-close to 30" of ice.

• Sad 1

Cliff Wagenbach

I was out on Vermilion fishing today again. Big bay still has about the same amount of ice but the ice is a lot softer now! Small patches of 4" to 6" deep slush pockets on it.

Pike bay seemed solid when we went out but when we returned almost the entire bay had about 6" of very soft slushy ice on top!

That will be my last trip out this winter.

Talked to one Native that I saw checking a  net that he had  out under the ice in Pike Bay. He had caught around 15 walleyes and a pike today and 8 or so walleyes yesterday. Tough way to catch fish!

Cliff

• Thanks 1

Cliff Wagenbach
2 hours ago, dgdg said:

Well the Pike River Dam is finally running at full throttle.  For those of you who aren't up here to see it for yourself, you can see it here:

https://www.everettbaylodge.com/lake-vermilion-ice-out-2018-the-dam-is-running/

Lake Vermilion ice out 2018.jpg

Thank for the update and photo Dave and Diane!

Cliff

jkrash

What a difference a day makes, yesterday the dam was locked up tight and today it's roaring. Walleye should be running this week...

• Thumbs Up 1

redlabguy

To all you guys who’ve been keeping us posted, thank you. I’m an islander so I don’t have much hope for the opener, but I’ve been reading all the posts (read them year around), including entertaining posts on new gear, and, again, thanks for letting a lot of guys know what’s going on there. The current weather, forecast and web cams, give me hope! I’m thinking I may get back home in three weeks, maybe four.

Keep the sun shining,

Dick

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

meerkat

18 days to opener,  I hope there is some open water we can fish.  our group can't reschedule due to work issues.  Come on Sun/Rain!!!  Our golf courses are just opening up today!!  smh

Cliff Wagenbach

There will certainly be some areas of open water to fish by the opener!

Pike Bay ice is deteriorating fairly fast now. Other small shallow bays are probably not far behind.

Cliff 

• Thumbs Up 2

BRULEDRIFTER

Ice is going fast!  The sun is high and powerful, we're flirting with 70 degrees and the forecast looks promising. I'm feeling pretty confident there will be a lot more open water then most are expecting.  

delcecchi

Sounds like the record of May 23 is looking safe for another year... 

• Thumbs Up 1

jkrash

Shorelines are starting to open, do you see the wood ducks?

DJI_0099.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      On the last day to target predator species during this Ice Fishing season I went out on Lake Vermilion. I setup for the morning on a break where I usually catch Walleye's with a few Yellow Perch mixed in but on this outing I caught mainly Jumbo Perch! Plus one bonus fish that took me over 4 minutes to get up the hole...

• OhioVike
      By OhioVike
      I have $50 to spend on Musky lures for a 14 year old boy.  Last fall he caught a nice musky, from my kayak, and was unable to land it to get a picture.  He did get it up to the kayak several times so he got a good look at it and has been bit by the Musky Fishing Bug.  I am looking for suggestions for the young man and was hoping to get some help here.  
    • AlwaysFishing23
      By AlwaysFishing23
      Hey everyone, coming up on friday and wanted to see if anyone has been catching any around the pike bay area what techniques have been working and if there has been any smallies been caught around that area also? Thanks!
    • Wakemup
      By Wakemup
      I have been thinking it would be nice to have a thread for fishing reports specifically on the West End lake. Everyone knows that the east has more walleyes so it seems most of the reports are geared toward the east end. 
      Not always, but it often seems The fishing report from the east vs west can be very different and I think a separate thread might help people (myself included) out who fish the west end. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      By Cliff Wagenbach
      The walleye bite has been very good most of August for me.
      Most of my walleyes have been caught on sand/rock reefs located in the main lake basins.
      The standard depths has been 16 feet to 23 feet with almost nothing coming from water deeper then 26 feet. A few walleyes have been caught in 8 foot to 14 foot  sandy areas also.
      The average size of the walleyes has increased a little. Most of our keeper sized fish are now running 14" to 16".
      Not as many bigger slot fish showing up in our daily catch now though. Maybe one or two a day that are in the 18" to 22" range.
      Lindy rigs baited with 1/2 crawler is still my go to presentation, although the past week I have been using Uncle Josh Pork Crawlers on my rigs with great success!
      I tried this bait on a whim just to see if it would work and have found it to be just as effective as the real crawler! A real advantage is that the Rusties cannot eat it off of the hook and I can easily catch 6 to 8 walleyes on one piece before I have to either re-bait or re-hook it! It also tends to float a little which makes it even more effective!
      Good fishing!
      Cliff

• airnuts
      By airnuts
      Coming up for our annual "boys" fishing trip June 30 - July 4th. Staying on Frazer Bay fishing for walleyes. Was up a month ago but only managed 4 keepers for a fry, no slot fish. We were there primarily to repair docks for my brother-in-laws folks place so we only fished a couple of times. This time will be primarily fishing. Sounds like the mayfly hatch will be over by the time we arrive, hope to read some fishing reports after this weekend. Our past success is usually slip-bobbering the reefs in 20 FOW with what ever bait is recommended at the time.
      Thanks!
      Kevin
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      My wife and I continue to venture out on a fairly regular basis. We've only missed one day since the last post. The water continues to warm and has been holding pretty steady in the low 70's. We have been continuing our bobber onslaught and we have definitely noticed a pattern of fewer bites and smaller average fish. We have still been catching a good percentage of 20"+ walleyes. I figure the fishing is going good when we can average 20-25% slot fish on an outing. The 15"-17"+ size walleyes that were making up a good percentage of our catch the past couple of weeks have definitely tapered off. We are beginning to revert to a 50% dink average Lots of smallish bass, 12"-14", have been showing up on the rocks with the walleyes. They're fun to catch but kind of a pain when targeting big walleyes. We've been eating more fish of late and the last meal or two involved walleyes that were absolutely stuffed with mayflies We are still finding the walleye in the rocks adjacent to deeper water. 18'-24' has been productive depths for us.
      We are going to change our method on our next outing. It's time for us to get back to the bottom bouncers. I've got a flat of crawlers that are just screaming to get into the game We will most likely stick with leeches also and add a floater to the terminal tackle in back of the hook and bead. I would think that most reefs with close by deep water will be holding walleyes. We'll keep posting to let you know what we find.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
    • TenPoundEyes
      By TenPoundEyes
      Looking for any action for our wives................. any help appreciated. McKinley Campground is where we will be launching from.  Panfish smallies........ dont matter just some action. Have a pontoon and looking to anchor up somewhere.

Thank You!
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      Since our guests left, lots of things not related to fishing has been going on. I've been recuperating from a heart procedure and my boat has been recuperating from Aronson's replacing the damaged motor parts. Both of us are much better now, so, my wife and I ventured out and tried our luck this afternoon. I'm not supposed to lift over 10#'s for a few more days and it took me most of the morning to convince her that the anchors only weighed 10#'s. Anyway, it was good to get back out again. We left the house around 4:00 and actually started fishing at 4:30. We were home by 7:15. It seemed like boat traffic was about normal and Daisy Bay water temps were 69.5 degrees when we left. The warmest water we saw on our outing was 71.5 and the water we fished was 69.5 degrees. I drove straight out to a reef we've been fishing on and off for the past couple of weeks. A slight breeze out of the SE made anchoring easy and we were ready to go.
      My wife uses a casting reel and while she is excellent at trolling, I usually cast her line while bobber fishing to hold down the back lashes. Prior to casting her line, I had to re-tie her because she broke off on a northern just as we quit during our previous outing. I estimated the bobber stop depth, baited a leech, and cast her out. As I was reaching for my pole, her bobber went down and she missed the fish. I re-baited her and cast her back out. Before she took the pole from me, her bobber went down again! She missed again! This scenario went on for ~1/2 hour! I never got my line in the water, she missed maybe 8 fish, lost 2 halfway to the boat, landed 3-16.5", a 21.5", and a 22". It was unreal! I finally got baited and threw into the same area. I got 2 bites in the first hour or so. Obviously something was wrong with my set-up. I lowered my stop another foot and started getting bites.
      This fishing was as good as it gets. We ended up landing 12 walleyes and one northern. We caught 5 slot fish from 21.5"-24", and 7 others from 14.5"-16.5". The 14.5" walleye was actually 3/4 of a fish. A really BIG northern grabbed the fish after it was hooked and I fought the northern all the way to the boat where we got a real good look at it. When the northern finally let go of the walleye, I reeled what was left on in. The walleye was almost ripped in half and its entrails were pretty much gone! I've had several big muskies grab walleyes on the way to the boat but that's the first big northern I've had do it.
      I've said that speed is the key to success when trolling. I am now saying that depth is equally important when slip bobber fishing. If someone in your boat seems to be getting all the bites and catching all the fish, reel in your line and theirs and match the depth setting exactly. Last thought, we travelled a fair distance today and saw no evidence of mayflies except for hordes in the water column in places.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB

• MarkB
      By MarkB
      It's amazing how fast time flies when people,fish, and good times mix together perfectly  My cousin and his Buddy arrived here last Saturday and, this morning, they left for home. I always get a bit edgy this time of the year in preparation for their annual outing: pre-visit fish location, most effective angling method, peak activity periods, etc. Fortunately, everything came together and they enjoyed what they termed as one of their 3 best trips ever!
      I found during the pre-visit fish location that the walleyes were located on reef tops. During 5 days of fishing, we fished reef tops ranging in depth from 6'-18'. Specifically, we fished  one reef at 6', another at 10', one at 15', and a fourth at 18'. Clouds and wind dictated the preference for a particular day. The reefs were strung out from Frasier Bay to the east end of Big Bay. I had two people ask if we fished the Comet Island reefs and the answer is we did not. I always marked fish before we spent much time on the deeper reefs we fished. The shallow reef was pull up, throw out the anchors and fish.
      The most effective angling method, hands down, was slip bobbers. We caught fish trolling but the guys I was fishing with weren't accustomed to snaggy rocky reefs and the experience with constant snags was frustrating. So, we used slip bobbers and had phenomenal success. We set the hooks for 2' shallower than what the sonar read(except the shallow reef) and caught walleyes, smallmouth, and northern. The only bait we used while slip bobber fishing was leeches. There were spots we fished that were swarmed with mayflies in the water column.
      Our peak activity period was most definitely evening from ~5:00-9:00. We fished mid morning time slots but found the bigger fish were mostly caught very early morning and the above mentioned evening time. Mildly windy days helped the mid-day bite but nothing compared to 5:00-9:00 in the evening.
      Me, my cousin and his Buddy fished for 5 days and caught over 100 walleyes during their stay. We caught 23 slot fish from 18"-26"(lots of 21's and 22's) and we ate walleyes twice during their visit. We caught 5 northerns with the biggest at 32". The bass fishing was spectacular and while quantity was no problem, the biggest we could muster was 17.5".
      It was a blue ribbon trip and great fun was had by all........
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
      The attached pictures are not included because of gargantuan fish size but because the parties involved probably appreciated the lake as much as anyone will this season..............

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Good pics have been hard to come by.  But...   Yes, these are water pics mainly but we’ve hunted fields too. The field hunting has been tough for us with the size of crew we have and the age mix.  Good times; good people.   Besides, a guy that likes divers needs a little water tossed in.  I saw my bucket list can but wouldn’t water swat him to claim him.  Didn’t get a chance at him on the wing.
    • eyeguy 54
      Nice! Thx for sharing.  I have so many weird stories like that and it's nice to hear another strange one!  Great story and memory. 
    • eyeguy 54
      Leaves are about foot and a half would put the head at about 3 feet or so. Me double thinks cougarumamountainlioncatamountpuma !  So SHAAAAD UPPPPP!  LOl   PS  you look like mange... 
    • MJ1657
      Tough conditions this morning. Got tired of picking up decoys that were tipped over.  Post some of your waterfowl hunting pics Leech. 
    • leech~~
      Just so we're clear. You left this kind of harvest to drive around in 70 degree weather for 4 hours a day, why again? 😕  
    • leech~~
      Oh then your right, the DNR wouldn't be able to tell what it is until at least June!  😏  😆
    • Wanderer
      Snow?!  Hadn’t heard.  I’m still in Nodak and it’s been sunny and 69-70 degrees for highs!  Big wind yesterday but not so much today.  Birds are around but you have to look for em.  Been driving about 4 hours a day scouting.
    • monstermoose78
      Holy snow!! It was coming down this morning around 8 am. Had geese flying but could not see them. Got buzzed by many flocks looking the wrong way as I could not look into the wind and snow. Had plenty close enough but never fired a shot. Off to the rifle range tomorrow with the old man. 
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Well was able to get out in the kayak this afternoon as the wind went down was out for about 15 min and around 4pm while making my usual trolling pass on the green weed lines. I hooked up with a 36” 8.5lb northern! On a #6 Fire tiger flicker shad again using my baitcast rig with 30 braid. I paddled to the beech as I had no net or anyway to land it from the yak. As I was coming in my rod slipped out of my rod holder. I said ohh $&@! And figured well that’s a rough day. But for some crazy reason my rod and reel combo floated!! No sure how but it stayed right on the surface. I had no extra floatation on it either. All I can say is I think I had some special people watching over me today😉Retrieved the rod and locked it in the holder and made it to the beech and fought it the rest of the way in. By far the biggest fish from the kayak for me and one heck of a story. Well I think that was a great way to end the season. 
    • Parmer
      It's a small lake. Have ice fished out there in the winter. There is some decent crappies out there.  Never fished in the summer time. I want to say max depth is 25-30.