• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sorgy

I need to put the pumps in extra early this year around my dock. Maybe I can speed up Ice out in our bay that will spread to the main channel. Main lake will be locked down I think for opener. Ice out up there is usually 2 weeks behind the cities. I saw a truck or van on Centerville Lake yesterday afternoon Wednesday April 11th.

No talk of the DNR delaying openers yet. I do not recall many closures over the last 15 years.

Good Luck

Steve

SkunkedAgain

This morning, I reminded the checkout lady at Menards that this delayed spring really means that we've got a couple more weeks of reprieve from the biting insects. I'm always looking at the bright side of things.

Like everyone else, I've never ice fished the opener and think that would be one whopper of a memory. I may be walking across the ice to get to my place, or even pulling my canoe behind me on a rope. I'll be there one way or another.

I've never heard of the DNR delaying opener but am always by surprised by life.

chucker1101

Don't think the DNR will delay opener, but i seem to recall the DNR shutting down fishing in Pike Bay on opener one year, due to ongoing spawn. Am i mis-remembering?

• Like 1

slovene

No delay or date change that I can recall , but do remember Pike Bay being closed until 2nd weekend. Same thing happened over in my neck of the woods on Cutfoot. Guessing even if the lake opens close to opener, you may see a closure there again.  

delcecchi

Mmm I was wondering about coming up before opener to get my stuff for the canoe trip.  Looking more like a quick trip rather than turn on the water, put the dock in trip.    

On 4/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, jkrash said:

I checked Ice thickness in front of our place today, there's about 3" of snow and 25" of ice. I think there's still hope for an ice free opener for part of the lake. 

Ice out occurs about 3 weeks after the snow leaves the woods.:pufff:

From your lips to God's ears....

meerkat

Is the water flowing over the darn by the hatchery???

Cliff Wagenbach

Water is SLOWLY flowing under the ice at the hatchery!

Cliff

meerkat

I was hoping it was like in 2014 but doesn't sound like it :( 

@jkrash  can you email me on what dates you have open for this year?   I have to be on Vermilion at least once a year!!!   spell check to darn from DAM ,LOL

jkrash
2 hours ago, meerkat said:

I was hoping it was like in 2014 but doesn't sound like it :( 

@jkrash  can you email me on what dates you have open for this year?   I have to be on Vermilion at least once a year!!!   spell check to darn from DAM ,LOL

Please go to our web site and click on the cabins page, all of our remaining openings are listed for each individual cabin.

21 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

This morning, I reminded the checkout lady at Menards that this delayed spring really means that we've got a couple more weeks of reprieve from the biting insects. I'm always looking at the bright side of things.

Like everyone else, I've never ice fished the opener and think that would be one whopper of a memory. I may be walking across the ice to get to my place, or even pulling my canoe behind me on a rope. I'll be there one way or another.

I've never heard of the DNR delaying opener but am always by surprised by life.

If you need a snowmobile I have one:D

SkunkedAgain

Sweet ride! I'm happy to see it out on the snow again. I hope that you like it.

Just today I rode my new (to me) ATV over the ice to my place, so I'm not too jealous.

SkunkedAgain

It looks like I shouldn't have switched over my fishing gear from ice to open water. I'm strongly thinking that I'll need to switch back to ice fishing gear for opener. An exciting prospect.

BrianF

For what it’s worth, yesterday my strikemaster auger got pinned to the ice in a few spots while drilling.  I needed my extension!  Several inches of fresh snow fell last night, which should help those wanting to ice fish on the opener.  I, for one, am not...

Global warming where are you?!

Cliff Wagenbach
1 hour ago, BrianF said:

For what it’s worth, yesterday my strikemaster auger got pinned to the ice in a few spots while drilling.  I needed my extension!  Several inches of fresh snow fell last night, which should help those wanting to ice fish on the opener.  I, for one, am not...

Global warming where are you?!

They are calling it climate change now! :crazy: Global warming  wasn't working for them!

I fully expect to see Big Bay still frozen over for the opener.

There will be no closures or delays in the opener for Vermilion according to the local DNR.

Cliff

meerkat

the "experts" say it due to the polar icecap melting.  maybe we need to move farther north.  hahahahaha

jkrash
14 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Sweet ride! I'm happy to see it out on the snow again. I hope that you like it.

Just today I rode my new (to me) ATV over the ice to my place, so I'm not too jealous.

...it works good for what I need and it pretty much goes through anything.

If you ever want to give up your new wheeler let me know:D

jkrash

We're going to need about 3 weeks of above freezing temps to get rid of the ice, I think at this time we are in trouble for a ice free opener  :2c:

JerkinLips

With the recent snowfall and the below normal temps coming up, I think ice out is going to be a record late.  I am wondering if Memorial Day weekend is even in jeopardy.  If the ice is solid, I think I may finally fish the opener on Vermilion again (out of my fish house - 2 lines through the ice).

• Like 1

Cliff Wagenbach

Two lines through the ice on the walleye opener is a debatable thing. Not real sure if that will be legal!

Has anyone checked?

Cliff

FishinCT

I swear we debated that a few years ago on here somewhere. I don't see how fishing through the ice in May is any different than fishing through the ice in January. 

cartway

What was the total snowfall last night on Big Bay?

Fish Head

I just sent a tweet to the MN DNR regarding this discussion about using 2 lines on the opener if you are fishing through the ice.  Their reply is below-

Hello Dan, The answer is yes – two lines are allowed if you're fishing through the ice. Thanks for the question.

• Like 4

Cliff Wagenbach

We got at least 8 or 10 inches here!

Cliff

• Like 2

BRULEDRIFTER

Upper 50-60 degrees beginning this weekend! There will be ice, but it may be black and slushy. ?

• Like 1

Darrell Larson
18 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Two lines through the ice on the walleye opener is a debatable thing. Not real sure if that will be legal!

Has anyone checked?

Cliff

Why doesn't Minnesota just adopt the two line like our neighbors to the east. A limit is a limit, if it takes 2 hours or 3 hours I see no difference.

leech~~
23 minutes ago, Darrell Larson said:

Why doesn't Minnesota just adopt the two line like our neighbors to the east. A limit is a limit, if it takes 2 hours or 3 hours I see no difference.

I know right! :lol:

p1434480221.jpg

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      On the last day to target predator species during this Ice Fishing season I went out on Lake Vermilion. I setup for the morning on a break where I usually catch Walleye's with a few Yellow Perch mixed in but on this outing I caught mainly Jumbo Perch! Plus one bonus fish that took me over 4 minutes to get up the hole...

• OhioVike
      By OhioVike
      I have $50 to spend on Musky lures for a 14 year old boy.  Last fall he caught a nice musky, from my kayak, and was unable to land it to get a picture.  He did get it up to the kayak several times so he got a good look at it and has been bit by the Musky Fishing Bug.  I am looking for suggestions for the young man and was hoping to get some help here.  
    • AlwaysFishing23
      By AlwaysFishing23
      Hey everyone, coming up on friday and wanted to see if anyone has been catching any around the pike bay area what techniques have been working and if there has been any smallies been caught around that area also? Thanks!
    • Wakemup
      By Wakemup
      I have been thinking it would be nice to have a thread for fishing reports specifically on the West End lake. Everyone knows that the east has more walleyes so it seems most of the reports are geared toward the east end. 
      Not always, but it often seems The fishing report from the east vs west can be very different and I think a separate thread might help people (myself included) out who fish the west end. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      By Cliff Wagenbach
      The walleye bite has been very good most of August for me.
      Most of my walleyes have been caught on sand/rock reefs located in the main lake basins.
      The standard depths has been 16 feet to 23 feet with almost nothing coming from water deeper then 26 feet. A few walleyes have been caught in 8 foot to 14 foot  sandy areas also.
      The average size of the walleyes has increased a little. Most of our keeper sized fish are now running 14" to 16".
      Not as many bigger slot fish showing up in our daily catch now though. Maybe one or two a day that are in the 18" to 22" range.
      Lindy rigs baited with 1/2 crawler is still my go to presentation, although the past week I have been using Uncle Josh Pork Crawlers on my rigs with great success!
      I tried this bait on a whim just to see if it would work and have found it to be just as effective as the real crawler! A real advantage is that the Rusties cannot eat it off of the hook and I can easily catch 6 to 8 walleyes on one piece before I have to either re-bait or re-hook it! It also tends to float a little which makes it even more effective!
      Good fishing!
      Cliff

• airnuts
      By airnuts
      Coming up for our annual "boys" fishing trip June 30 - July 4th. Staying on Frazer Bay fishing for walleyes. Was up a month ago but only managed 4 keepers for a fry, no slot fish. We were there primarily to repair docks for my brother-in-laws folks place so we only fished a couple of times. This time will be primarily fishing. Sounds like the mayfly hatch will be over by the time we arrive, hope to read some fishing reports after this weekend. Our past success is usually slip-bobbering the reefs in 20 FOW with what ever bait is recommended at the time.
      Thanks!
      Kevin
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      My wife and I continue to venture out on a fairly regular basis. We've only missed one day since the last post. The water continues to warm and has been holding pretty steady in the low 70's. We have been continuing our bobber onslaught and we have definitely noticed a pattern of fewer bites and smaller average fish. We have still been catching a good percentage of 20"+ walleyes. I figure the fishing is going good when we can average 20-25% slot fish on an outing. The 15"-17"+ size walleyes that were making up a good percentage of our catch the past couple of weeks have definitely tapered off. We are beginning to revert to a 50% dink average Lots of smallish bass, 12"-14", have been showing up on the rocks with the walleyes. They're fun to catch but kind of a pain when targeting big walleyes. We've been eating more fish of late and the last meal or two involved walleyes that were absolutely stuffed with mayflies We are still finding the walleye in the rocks adjacent to deeper water. 18'-24' has been productive depths for us.
      We are going to change our method on our next outing. It's time for us to get back to the bottom bouncers. I've got a flat of crawlers that are just screaming to get into the game We will most likely stick with leeches also and add a floater to the terminal tackle in back of the hook and bead. I would think that most reefs with close by deep water will be holding walleyes. We'll keep posting to let you know what we find.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
    • TenPoundEyes
      By TenPoundEyes
      Looking for any action for our wives................. any help appreciated. McKinley Campground is where we will be launching from.  Panfish smallies........ dont matter just some action. Have a pontoon and looking to anchor up somewhere.

Thank You!
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      Since our guests left, lots of things not related to fishing has been going on. I've been recuperating from a heart procedure and my boat has been recuperating from Aronson's replacing the damaged motor parts. Both of us are much better now, so, my wife and I ventured out and tried our luck this afternoon. I'm not supposed to lift over 10#'s for a few more days and it took me most of the morning to convince her that the anchors only weighed 10#'s. Anyway, it was good to get back out again. We left the house around 4:00 and actually started fishing at 4:30. We were home by 7:15. It seemed like boat traffic was about normal and Daisy Bay water temps were 69.5 degrees when we left. The warmest water we saw on our outing was 71.5 and the water we fished was 69.5 degrees. I drove straight out to a reef we've been fishing on and off for the past couple of weeks. A slight breeze out of the SE made anchoring easy and we were ready to go.
      My wife uses a casting reel and while she is excellent at trolling, I usually cast her line while bobber fishing to hold down the back lashes. Prior to casting her line, I had to re-tie her because she broke off on a northern just as we quit during our previous outing. I estimated the bobber stop depth, baited a leech, and cast her out. As I was reaching for my pole, her bobber went down and she missed the fish. I re-baited her and cast her back out. Before she took the pole from me, her bobber went down again! She missed again! This scenario went on for ~1/2 hour! I never got my line in the water, she missed maybe 8 fish, lost 2 halfway to the boat, landed 3-16.5", a 21.5", and a 22". It was unreal! I finally got baited and threw into the same area. I got 2 bites in the first hour or so. Obviously something was wrong with my set-up. I lowered my stop another foot and started getting bites.
      This fishing was as good as it gets. We ended up landing 12 walleyes and one northern. We caught 5 slot fish from 21.5"-24", and 7 others from 14.5"-16.5". The 14.5" walleye was actually 3/4 of a fish. A really BIG northern grabbed the fish after it was hooked and I fought the northern all the way to the boat where we got a real good look at it. When the northern finally let go of the walleye, I reeled what was left on in. The walleye was almost ripped in half and its entrails were pretty much gone! I've had several big muskies grab walleyes on the way to the boat but that's the first big northern I've had do it.
      I've said that speed is the key to success when trolling. I am now saying that depth is equally important when slip bobber fishing. If someone in your boat seems to be getting all the bites and catching all the fish, reel in your line and theirs and match the depth setting exactly. Last thought, we travelled a fair distance today and saw no evidence of mayflies except for hordes in the water column in places.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB

• MarkB
      By MarkB
      It's amazing how fast time flies when people,fish, and good times mix together perfectly  My cousin and his Buddy arrived here last Saturday and, this morning, they left for home. I always get a bit edgy this time of the year in preparation for their annual outing: pre-visit fish location, most effective angling method, peak activity periods, etc. Fortunately, everything came together and they enjoyed what they termed as one of their 3 best trips ever!
      I found during the pre-visit fish location that the walleyes were located on reef tops. During 5 days of fishing, we fished reef tops ranging in depth from 6'-18'. Specifically, we fished  one reef at 6', another at 10', one at 15', and a fourth at 18'. Clouds and wind dictated the preference for a particular day. The reefs were strung out from Frasier Bay to the east end of Big Bay. I had two people ask if we fished the Comet Island reefs and the answer is we did not. I always marked fish before we spent much time on the deeper reefs we fished. The shallow reef was pull up, throw out the anchors and fish.
      The most effective angling method, hands down, was slip bobbers. We caught fish trolling but the guys I was fishing with weren't accustomed to snaggy rocky reefs and the experience with constant snags was frustrating. So, we used slip bobbers and had phenomenal success. We set the hooks for 2' shallower than what the sonar read(except the shallow reef) and caught walleyes, smallmouth, and northern. The only bait we used while slip bobber fishing was leeches. There were spots we fished that were swarmed with mayflies in the water column.
      Our peak activity period was most definitely evening from ~5:00-9:00. We fished mid morning time slots but found the bigger fish were mostly caught very early morning and the above mentioned evening time. Mildly windy days helped the mid-day bite but nothing compared to 5:00-9:00 in the evening.
      Me, my cousin and his Buddy fished for 5 days and caught over 100 walleyes during their stay. We caught 23 slot fish from 18"-26"(lots of 21's and 22's) and we ate walleyes twice during their visit. We caught 5 northerns with the biggest at 32". The bass fishing was spectacular and while quantity was no problem, the biggest we could muster was 17.5".
      It was a blue ribbon trip and great fun was had by all........
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
      The attached pictures are not included because of gargantuan fish size but because the parties involved probably appreciated the lake as much as anyone will this season..............

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• BrianF
      Ace (or anyone for that matter), have you been able to pinpoint the conditions that bring the big smallies up shallow in the fall?  Water temp perhaps?  Moon phase? A bait connection?  We saw this happen by chance a couple of years ago, which resulted in some very large smallies coming over the rails.  Didn’t weigh the biggest but my guess was 6lbs+.     Just trying to to see if this shallow movement can be predicted.    Brian 
    • leech~~
      pikeandchester, your kid is priceless!   You know that you wouldn't be going by your self much anymore-Right! 😅
    • Tom Sawyer
      Deep weed edges have produced crappie during the transition period, before the water gets in the 50s. Rigging or jigging chubs have been a standard tactic for walleye this time of year. If your noticing a lot of debris throughout the water column, turnover may be going on, fish a bigger body of water, they turn over a little latter. Have not been on Webb, just tips for this time of year.... Good luck!
    • Fishouttawater
      Try pine lake off of McFarland. Easy to get to and good size eyes. You’d need a portable fish finder though. Interesting lake for eyes. Basswood is awesome too but it’s a haul.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Yeah, I wouldn’t be making this treck until next June. I heard from another source that it’s navigable as well, as long as water levels are normal. Thanks for the info.
    • Wanderer
      @gimruis   I’ve been accused of having too much patience many times.   My duck hunting buddy talked about people’s differing personalities and how we didn’t understand why fellow hunters weren’t more considerate.  We settled on the fact that we’ve been trained to be that naive from working in the hospitality/service industry too long! 😀   Still loving the hunting but have to change our expectations a bit
    • awkwardjim
      up here on webb lake right now... anyone have any tips or suggestions?! 
    • leech~~
      Instead of going through all the hassle of mounting it in your boat before you knows if it's good. You may try duct taping the ducer to a stick to hang over the side and run some power wires to it.   You should know pretty fast if it works or not by making a few knob adjustments. Good Luck.  
    • Topwater Scott
      Orchard in Lakeville has a good population of tiger's.  
    • mbeyer
      I know this....not as many smallmouth coming up shallow on this fall trip as compared to spring. Could not get a top water bite regardless of time of day and depth of water.   Found a few stragglers in the few hours we chased them.