• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water is SLOWLY flowing under the ice at the hatchery!

Cliff

I was hoping it was like in 2014 but doesn't sound like it :( 

@jkrash  can you email me on what dates you have open for this year?   I have to be on Vermilion at least once a year!!!   spell check to darn from DAM ,LOL

2 hours ago, meerkat said:

I was hoping it was like in 2014 but doesn't sound like it :( 

@jkrash  can you email me on what dates you have open for this year?   I have to be on Vermilion at least once a year!!!   spell check to darn from DAM ,LOL

Please go to our web site and click on the cabins page, all of our remaining openings are listed for each individual cabin.

21 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

This morning, I reminded the checkout lady at Menards that this delayed spring really means that we've got a couple more weeks of reprieve from the biting insects. I'm always looking at the bright side of things.

Like everyone else, I've never ice fished the opener and think that would be one whopper of a memory. I may be walking across the ice to get to my place, or even pulling my canoe behind me on a rope. I'll be there one way or another.

I've never heard of the DNR delaying opener but am always by surprised by life.

If you need a snowmobile I have one:D

Sweet ride! I'm happy to see it out on the snow again. I hope that you like it.

Just today I rode my new (to me) ATV over the ice to my place, so I'm not too jealous.

It looks like I shouldn't have switched over my fishing gear from ice to open water. I'm strongly thinking that I'll need to switch back to ice fishing gear for opener. An exciting prospect.

For what it’s worth, yesterday my strikemaster auger got pinned to the ice in a few spots while drilling.  I needed my extension!  Several inches of fresh snow fell last night, which should help those wanting to ice fish on the opener.  I, for one, am not...

Global warming where are you?!

1 hour ago, BrianF said:

For what it’s worth, yesterday my strikemaster auger got pinned to the ice in a few spots while drilling.  I needed my extension!  Several inches of fresh snow fell last night, which should help those wanting to ice fish on the opener.  I, for one, am not...

Global warming where are you?!

They are calling it climate change now! :crazy: Global warming  wasn't working for them!

I fully expect to see Big Bay still frozen over for the opener.

There will be no closures or delays in the opener for Vermilion according to the local DNR.

Cliff

the "experts" say it due to the polar icecap melting.  maybe we need to move farther north.  hahahahaha

14 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Sweet ride! I'm happy to see it out on the snow again. I hope that you like it.

Just today I rode my new (to me) ATV over the ice to my place, so I'm not too jealous.

...it works good for what I need and it pretty much goes through anything.

If you ever want to give up your new wheeler let me know:D

We're going to need about 3 weeks of above freezing temps to get rid of the ice, I think at this time we are in trouble for a ice free opener  :2c:

With the recent snowfall and the below normal temps coming up, I think ice out is going to be a record late.  I am wondering if Memorial Day weekend is even in jeopardy.  If the ice is solid, I think I may finally fish the opener on Vermilion again (out of my fish house - 2 lines through the ice).

• Thumbs Up 1

Two lines through the ice on the walleye opener is a debatable thing. Not real sure if that will be legal!

Has anyone checked?

Cliff

I swear we debated that a few years ago on here somewhere. I don't see how fishing through the ice in May is any different than fishing through the ice in January. 

I just sent a tweet to the MN DNR regarding this discussion about using 2 lines on the opener if you are fishing through the ice.  Their reply is below-

Hello Dan, The answer is yes – two lines are allowed if you're fishing through the ice. Thanks for the question.

• Thumbs Up 4

Upper 50-60 degrees beginning this weekend! There will be ice, but it may be black and slushy. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Two lines through the ice on the walleye opener is a debatable thing. Not real sure if that will be legal!

Has anyone checked?

Cliff

Why doesn't Minnesota just adopt the two line like our neighbors to the east. A limit is a limit, if it takes 2 hours or 3 hours I see no difference.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
23 minutes ago, Darrell Larson said:

Why doesn't Minnesota just adopt the two line like our neighbors to the east. A limit is a limit, if it takes 2 hours or 3 hours I see no difference.

I know right! :lol:

p1434480221.jpg

• Yayyyy 1

On 4/16/2018 at 11:16 AM, jkrash said:

We're going to need about 3 weeks of above freezing temps to get rid of the ice, I think at this time we are in trouble for a ice free opener  :2c:

Opener?  I'm getting worried about Quetico the first week in June.:(

I was hoping to take the week after opener off and spend some time at the cabin getting everything opened up and doing some serious fishing but I think I may need to adjust that plan thanks to Mother Nature!

Weather doesn't look great for clearing ice; mid 50's highs and low-mid 30's lows for the next two weeks.  Unless something changes drastically, I still think we are going to be near record late ice out (May 24).

I went out fishing on Big Bay today. 36 inches of solid ice out there!

Cliff

• Wow, ❤ 3

Sound fun Cliff, sad about ice, will split when ready.

Any Bites?

: )

25 inches on Minnetonka I saw today.

Was out about mile from here musky acres with my Polar Bear Boy fer pannies...no doubt fun and its still hard n still 24"

New med's for Bear n he is feeling great an has some cool studdly strut going on. Big Smiles for almost 12.

Miss my lil island cabin n docks.........but........no fooling round with Mother Nature.

Think good thinks, be safe, enjoy it all.

Keep on rocken!

Tommy

Ice18-2.jpg

Ice17-5.jpg

Ice18-1.jpg

Edited by TomWehler
  • Thumbs Up 4

16 hours ago, Cliff Wagenbach said:

Bear looks good and looks like he is enjoying life!

Got a few eating sized fish today. Enough for a couple of meals for Jean and I!

Couple of real nice bluegills in the bunch!

20180418_143144.jpg

20180418_145455.jpg

20180418_153655.jpg

Those look good!

Now the question is, do you scale them and cook them skin on or separate the filet from the skin?

I became a fan about 5 years ago of scaling and leaving the skin on for some extra crisp!

Has anyone heard what they'll do about the City Auto Glass walleye tourney if the ice isn't off by May 19? Even if the ice is off....will they close Pike Bay?