• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

opsirc

After spending the last 3 weeks fixing vehicles, finally have some time to get out fishing.  Has anyone Been on fish lately? Is there much snow,  guessing there is still plenty of ice

• Thumbs Up 1

Surface Tension

Haven't been on Fish lake in while.  The home lake has little snow and the ice unfortunately is in great shape.  Earlier I'd have water seeping up through the voids when drilling. Now shes solid ice till break through.  Give Tim a call at High Banks, he should be able to fill you in on travel conditions for sleds or wheelers.

• Thumbs Up 1

LoonASea

Got out on Fish Lake yesterday ,,,, Caught fish but only 1 keeper walleye ,,,, Got several over the slot along with pike and largemouth ,,, Water temp was in the mid 50's ,,,,, Jig and plastics is what was working for us ,,, Hope to get back out there during the week again soon 

LoonASea

Dang ,,, Another nice day to be out on the water on Fish Lake  ,,, Too bad the fish didn't think it was nice enough to eat what we offered !!

Might have to switch bodies of water!!!

DLD24

Do you have any tips for fishing Fish Lake this time of year? I'm gonna try it out in the next few days... Is it typically an early morning, late evening bite or can you get them all day long? Thanks for any info.

jj56342
On 5/23/2018 at 9:24 PM, DLD24 said:

Do you have any tips for fishing Fish Lake this time of year? I'm gonna try it out in the next few days... Is it typically an early morning, late evening bite or can you get them all day long? Thanks for any info.

OK you’ll have to let me know thanks

osok

Beautiful day to be on the water, but such a struggle catching fish.  Marking a lot of fish and just as many bait balls or some other underwater clouds that the game fish were keying in on.

Ended up C&R a lot of really plump Sunnies ( thinking they haven't spawned yet?),  2 Northerns, several pieces of timber, 2 slot Walleyes, and a great sunburn. All within 12 hrs of fishing.  

• Thumbs Up 1

hayseed

I dislike posting a question here, but after fishing this lake since ice out at least once a week I'm struggling to find the Crappie. Have only caught one and it was spawned out. Checked all my favorite spring spots and found nothing. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Lots of gills and more largemouth than ever, but no crappies. 

• Thumbs Up 2

osok
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hayseed said:

I dislike posting a question here, but after fishing this lake since ice out at least once a week I'm struggling to find the Crappie. Have only caught one and it was spawned out. Checked all my favorite spring spots and found nothing. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Lots of gills and more largemouth than ever, but no crappies. 

Yes Hayseed I'm noticing the same thing, lots of Gills but no bass (for me).  I'm not sure if the late spring and weather patterns has things in flux or what? I certainly hope the winters fishing pressure didn't all but eliminate these year classes.   I get that about not wanting to ask a question here, at times it's like opening Pandora's box, other times it's nothing but Cricket's responding.  

Edited by osok
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 3

Jarrid Houston

Same hold true for my Fish outings this open water season.  Not a lot of crappies at all, maybe 3?  This last winters ice pressure and harvest I'm sure is not helping.  Years ago, my wife and I would go out mid spring and get into a mess of them.  I believe those days are gone, or were not looking in the right spots anymore.  As for the rest of the pan fish numbers, this year has been good and this lake is a great pan fish fishery.  Arguably one of the best in the surrounding areas of the Twin Ports.  I rank it up there with some great NW Wisconsin panfish lakes.  Be nice to start to get some more strict regs to better protect.  I love what they do over in Ottertail with some select pan fish waters.  Wish we could point out the obvious of how it creates better fish opportunities.  Back to the crappies....  I agree...sure hope there wasn't a taking of a big pop of the great year classes out.  Hate to see it dwindle down.    

• Thumbs Up 4

Borch

Crappies have been hard for me to pin down on other waters as well.  Seems they are not were they usually are and I wonder if the weird winter to summer transition is to blame.  Time to start looking in other parts of the water column.

• Thumbs Up 3

hayseed

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was beginning to think I lost my touch. Took a beating this winter, but hopefully it will come back again. Also would like to see some more restrictions on the crappies. Time to start checking the deeper weed beds I guess. I know the water temps have been fluctuating a lot this spring and maybe they skipped the spawn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

LoonASea

Fished the lake this morning ,,, water temps were 72-74 and the flys were hatching ,,, unhooking the walleyes they were coughing up fly larvae,,, Need to power wash the boat now ,,, No keepers today but lots of overs and 2 unders mixed in with some pike and sunnies on flicker minnows ,,, Go figure  

• Thumbs Up 2

osok
7 hours ago, LoonASea said:

Fished the lake this morning ,,, water temps were 72-74 and the flys were hatching ,,, unhooking the walleyes they were coughing up fly larvae,,, Need to power wash the boat now ,,, No keepers today but lots of overs and 2 unders mixed in with some pike and sunnies on flicker minnows ,,, Go figure  

Flicker minnows?

osok
On 6/22/2018 at 11:49 AM, Borch said:

Crappies have been hard for me to pin down on other waters as well.  Seems they are not were they usually are and I wonder if the weird winter to summer transition is to blame.  Time to start looking in other parts of the water column.

This surprises me Borch.  5-6 years ago when I was  living in the St. Cloud area, if you looked up "Mr. Consistency"  in the dictionary, your mugshot would come up.  Things must be all whacked out. 

Borch

Thanks for the compliment.  I've been up in the Cass Lake area the past few weeks.  Did very well on eyes but really struggled to find the crappies and I wasn't alone.   

• Thumbs Up 2

osok
On 6/22/2018 at 11:26 AM, Jarrid Houston said:

Same hold true for my Fish outings this open water season.  Not a lot of crappies at all, maybe 3?  This last winters ice pressure and harvest I'm sure is not helping.  Years ago, my wife and I would go out mid spring and get into a mess of them.  I believe those days are gone, or were not looking in the right spots anymore.  As for the rest of the pan fish numbers, this year has been good and this lake is a great pan fish fishery.  Arguably one of the best in the surrounding areas of the Twin Ports.  I rank it up there with some great NW Wisconsin panfish lakes.  Be nice to start to get some more strict regs to better protect.  I love what they do over in Ottertail with some select pan fish waters.  Wish we could point out the obvious of how it creates better fish opportunities.  Back to the crappies....  I agree...sure hope there wasn't a taking of a big pop of the great year classes out.  Hate to see it dwindle down.    

I couldn't agree more Jarrid,  modifying the possession/ catch limits would probably help preserve and enhance the fishery. Several years ago when I was still living in the St. Cloud area, there was a lake outside of Albany that a  couple of year classes of Croppies came into their own. After  the increased pressure of both one hard and the following open water season  that lake saw, it was like  the Dead Sea after that.  Personally, if I find an active school, I won't keep my limit, just enough for a meal with the family. 

DLD24

Hit fish lake this this morning, got a few walleyes and some gills and pike... Man now after seeing this lake with side imaging I can't believe I ever tied on a jiggin rap last year haha... I see why it lasted exactly 1.5 seconds. Crazy how many logs are laying down there.

20180625_104115.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

LoonASea

Got out after the few days of east wind ,,, Put on my confidence bait "flicker minnow" and started trolling,,, Our normal spots did not produce so we headed to the western shore and had a nice flurry of walleyes ,,, I was surprised with the lake being flat and the sun hi in the sky that the walleyes were shallow ,, Picked up 5 keepers  1 over and 1 under the slot with some pike sunnies and smallmouth in the mix ,, hope to get back out there again soon ,,,, Guess whats for dinner???

• Thumbs Up 3

osok
On 6/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, DLD24 said:

Hit fish lake this this morning, got a few walleyes and some gills and pike... Man now after seeing this lake with side imaging I can't believe I ever tied on a jiggin rap last year haha... I see why it lasted exactly 1.5 seconds. Crazy how many logs are laying down there.

20180625_104115.jpg

Yep, good chance some of my tackle is snagged up in some of that timber. 

JasonG917

I was out the same time as you. We... Actually, MY buddy caught 5 walleyes and 1 Pike and I haven’t caught anything since buying my boat. Could you give me some pointers to catch fish out there? 

LoonASea
4 hours ago, JasonG917 said:

I was out the same time as you. We... Actually, MY buddy caught 5 walleyes and 1 Pike and I haven’t caught anything since buying my boat. Could you give me some pointers to catch fish out there? 

So who exactly are you asking??