• GUESTS

    If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

  • Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

     
      You know what we all love...

      The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

      Have Fun!!!

Recommended Posts

opsirc

After spending the last 3 weeks fixing vehicles, finally have some time to get out fishing.  Has anyone Been on fish lately? Is there much snow,  guessing there is still plenty of ice

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Surface Tension

Haven't been on Fish lake in while.  The home lake has little snow and the ice unfortunately is in great shape.  Earlier I'd have water seeping up through the voids when drilling. Now shes solid ice till break through.  Give Tim a call at High Banks, he should be able to fill you in on travel conditions for sleds or wheelers.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LoonASea

Got out on Fish Lake yesterday ,,,, Caught fish but only 1 keeper walleye ,,,, Got several over the slot along with pike and largemouth ,,, Water temp was in the mid 50's ,,,,, Jig and plastics is what was working for us ,,, Hope to get back out there during the week again soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LoonASea

Dang ,,, Another nice day to be out on the water on Fish Lake  ,,, Too bad the fish didn't think it was nice enough to eat what we offered !!

Might have to switch bodies of water!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DLD24

Do you have any tips for fishing Fish Lake this time of year? I'm gonna try it out in the next few days... Is it typically an early morning, late evening bite or can you get them all day long? Thanks for any info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jj56342
On 5/23/2018 at 9:24 PM, DLD24 said:

Do you have any tips for fishing Fish Lake this time of year? I'm gonna try it out in the next few days... Is it typically an early morning, late evening bite or can you get them all day long? Thanks for any info.

OK you’ll have to let me know thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
osok

Beautiful day to be on the water, but such a struggle catching fish.  Marking a lot of fish and just as many bait balls or some other underwater clouds that the game fish were keying in on.

 Ended up C&R a lot of really plump Sunnies ( thinking they haven't spawned yet?),  2 Northerns, several pieces of timber, 2 slot Walleyes, and a great sunburn. All within 12 hrs of fishing.  

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hayseed

I dislike posting a question here, but after fishing this lake since ice out at least once a week I'm struggling to find the Crappie. Have only caught one and it was spawned out. Checked all my favorite spring spots and found nothing. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Lots of gills and more largemouth than ever, but no crappies. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
osok
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hayseed said:

I dislike posting a question here, but after fishing this lake since ice out at least once a week I'm struggling to find the Crappie. Have only caught one and it was spawned out. Checked all my favorite spring spots and found nothing. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Lots of gills and more largemouth than ever, but no crappies. 

Yes Hayseed I'm noticing the same thing, lots of Gills but no bass (for me).  I'm not sure if the late spring and weather patterns has things in flux or what? I certainly hope the winters fishing pressure didn't all but eliminate these year classes.   I get that about not wanting to ask a question here, at times it's like opening Pandora's box, other times it's nothing but Cricket's responding.  

Edited by osok
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jarrid Houston

Same hold true for my Fish outings this open water season.  Not a lot of crappies at all, maybe 3?  This last winters ice pressure and harvest I'm sure is not helping.  Years ago, my wife and I would go out mid spring and get into a mess of them.  I believe those days are gone, or were not looking in the right spots anymore.  As for the rest of the pan fish numbers, this year has been good and this lake is a great pan fish fishery.  Arguably one of the best in the surrounding areas of the Twin Ports.  I rank it up there with some great NW Wisconsin panfish lakes.  Be nice to start to get some more strict regs to better protect.  I love what they do over in Ottertail with some select pan fish waters.  Wish we could point out the obvious of how it creates better fish opportunities.  Back to the crappies....  I agree...sure hope there wasn't a taking of a big pop of the great year classes out.  Hate to see it dwindle down.    

  • Thumbs Up 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Borch

Crappies have been hard for me to pin down on other waters as well.  Seems they are not were they usually are and I wonder if the weird winter to summer transition is to blame.  Time to start looking in other parts of the water column.

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hayseed

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was beginning to think I lost my touch. Took a beating this winter, but hopefully it will come back again. Also would like to see some more restrictions on the crappies. Time to start checking the deeper weed beds I guess. I know the water temps have been fluctuating a lot this spring and maybe they skipped the spawn. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LoonASea

Fished the lake this morning ,,, water temps were 72-74 and the flys were hatching ,,, unhooking the walleyes they were coughing up fly larvae,,, Need to power wash the boat now ,,, No keepers today but lots of overs and 2 unders mixed in with some pike and sunnies on flicker minnows ,,, Go figure  

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
osok
7 hours ago, LoonASea said:

Fished the lake this morning ,,, water temps were 72-74 and the flys were hatching ,,, unhooking the walleyes they were coughing up fly larvae,,, Need to power wash the boat now ,,, No keepers today but lots of overs and 2 unders mixed in with some pike and sunnies on flicker minnows ,,, Go figure  

Flicker minnows?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
osok
On 6/22/2018 at 11:49 AM, Borch said:

Crappies have been hard for me to pin down on other waters as well.  Seems they are not were they usually are and I wonder if the weird winter to summer transition is to blame.  Time to start looking in other parts of the water column.

This surprises me Borch.  5-6 years ago when I was  living in the St. Cloud area, if you looked up "Mr. Consistency"  in the dictionary, your mugshot would come up.  Things must be all whacked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Borch

Thanks for the compliment.  I've been up in the Cass Lake area the past few weeks.  Did very well on eyes but really struggled to find the crappies and I wasn't alone.   

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
osok
On 6/22/2018 at 11:26 AM, Jarrid Houston said:

Same hold true for my Fish outings this open water season.  Not a lot of crappies at all, maybe 3?  This last winters ice pressure and harvest I'm sure is not helping.  Years ago, my wife and I would go out mid spring and get into a mess of them.  I believe those days are gone, or were not looking in the right spots anymore.  As for the rest of the pan fish numbers, this year has been good and this lake is a great pan fish fishery.  Arguably one of the best in the surrounding areas of the Twin Ports.  I rank it up there with some great NW Wisconsin panfish lakes.  Be nice to start to get some more strict regs to better protect.  I love what they do over in Ottertail with some select pan fish waters.  Wish we could point out the obvious of how it creates better fish opportunities.  Back to the crappies....  I agree...sure hope there wasn't a taking of a big pop of the great year classes out.  Hate to see it dwindle down.    

I couldn't agree more Jarrid,  modifying the possession/ catch limits would probably help preserve and enhance the fishery. Several years ago when I was still living in the St. Cloud area, there was a lake outside of Albany that a  couple of year classes of Croppies came into their own. After  the increased pressure of both one hard and the following open water season  that lake saw, it was like  the Dead Sea after that.  Personally, if I find an active school, I won't keep my limit, just enough for a meal with the family. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DLD24

Hit fish lake this this morning, got a few walleyes and some gills and pike... Man now after seeing this lake with side imaging I can't believe I ever tied on a jiggin rap last year haha... I see why it lasted exactly 1.5 seconds. Crazy how many logs are laying down there.

20180625_104115.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LoonASea

Got out after the few days of east wind ,,, Put on my confidence bait "flicker minnow" and started trolling,,, Our normal spots did not produce so we headed to the western shore and had a nice flurry of walleyes ,,, I was surprised with the lake being flat and the sun hi in the sky that the walleyes were shallow ,, Picked up 5 keepers  1 over and 1 under the slot with some pike sunnies and smallmouth in the mix ,, hope to get back out there again soon ,,,, Guess whats for dinner???

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
osok
On 6/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, DLD24 said:

Hit fish lake this this morning, got a few walleyes and some gills and pike... Man now after seeing this lake with side imaging I can't believe I ever tied on a jiggin rap last year haha... I see why it lasted exactly 1.5 seconds. Crazy how many logs are laying down there.

20180625_104115.jpg

Yep, good chance some of my tackle is snagged up in some of that timber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JasonG917

I was out the same time as you. We... Actually, MY buddy caught 5 walleyes and 1 Pike and I haven’t caught anything since buying my boat. Could you give me some pointers to catch fish out there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LoonASea
4 hours ago, JasonG917 said:

I was out the same time as you. We... Actually, MY buddy caught 5 walleyes and 1 Pike and I haven’t caught anything since buying my boat. Could you give me some pointers to catch fish out there? 

So who exactly are you asking??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • CJH
      Fished a small west metro lake this afternoon.  Shallow was 6-7 inches, about 5 inches out in the middle, good solid ice.  This lake locked up early and didn't get messed up by wind or warm temps.  I drilled holes as I went just to keep checking the ice, since it was our first time out for the year.
    • Wanderer
      I stayed on the ice this afternoon and out of the woods.  I watched the sun fade with the last day of the ML season with mine in the truck at the access.   The darndest thing: the fishing was terrible.  Kept hoping I’d find em or it would pick up in the evening.  Neither really happened. 😔     Still, it’s been a good hunting year.  Thanks all of you that shared your season here!
    • monstermoose78
      I go bare hands
    • leech~~
      You may get two of these warm and waterproof, or waterproof and dexterity but you may be hard press to get all three as dexterity is hard to get with the other two in a glove.  The best I have been able to do is some Duck hunting gloves which aren't cheap. 
    • Spearing Machine
      Sunday evening report: Set up in 27 fow on 10 inches of ice off the West end of Ely island. I  fished from 2:40-5:00 tonight. Caught 4 and missed 2 more on the set line. Tossed everything back, about an 8 , 11, 13 and 15 inch fish. One on set line with plain red hook and chub near bottom and 3 jigging (one on a macho minnow and 2 on a flyer). Had a couple other good marks that didn't commit. Lots of wheeled/skid houses pulled out this weekend all over Mckinley/big bay area. About 3-4 inches of snow so good for travel with sleds or wheelers.
    • Wanderer
      Yah, that’s a tough situation @Kettle.  Neoprene are pretty much the trend but they still aren’t magic.  I bought a pair of diving gloves and they’re much better than any standard fishing glove.     I bet those Simms are nice.   Try to find a pair that fits well but aren’t too snug, and possibly have a breathable back.  
    • Wanderer
      Agreed, there always seems to be some geese over wintering.  I continue to see geese flying around and roosted in open rivers.  Swans too.  Had a pair circle me tonight while I was ice fishing.  It’s getting to be an ordinary thing - seeing swans in the winter.
    • GeluNumber1
      Went out last night for sturgeon. Considering it was my first outing of the year, I did okay with a couple sub-30" fish. Saw some dandies.
    • Mike89
      '   that's what i did in the end....
    • Kettle
      It's making ice but there were some pretty large open areas tonight