• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

So if you are like me and have a jig addiction please help. I am looking for 3 mm sized jigs with bigger hooks. Why you ask I have been fishing lakes with big gills, but also have big crappies. Those tiny hooks on the 3 mm jigs just don’t seem to hold those crappies as well. I found the clam xl jigs but they are between 3.75-5 bucks jig. Anyone know where to find some small jigs with bigger hooks please let me know. Would you all be interested in finding jigs like this as well. Thanks 

gunner55

I recently found some Acme jigs on closeout at Walmart in GR that I thought had bigger/heavier hooks than most tungsten jigs. Normally they're $4.50-$5 per 2 got mine for $3 for 2, for that price I thought I'd give them a try.

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mbarbeau

Northland tungsten fireballs

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78
4 hours ago, gunner55 said:

I recently found some Acme jigs on closeout at Walmart in GR that I thought had bigger/heavier hooks than most tungsten jigs. Normally they're $4.50-$5 per 2 got mine for $3 for 2, for that price I thought I'd give them a try.

Thanks I will look at acme

4 minutes ago, Mbarbeau said:

Northland tungsten fireballs

Thanks I will have to look at those again as I have some, so I will check to see if the are small enough. 

Mbarbeau

they definatly arent as small as the 3mm but they do work good for bluegill and can hook into crappie nicely

IceHawk

Bought a bunch of those Acme tungsten jigs myself at wallmart closeout great deal. I got mine for a buck a  2 pack :) They are marked 3 mm but they are bigger than that they are 4mm for sure. Still a great deal! 

• Thumbs Up 2

gunner55

Beat me too it Icehawk, as I was about to say the same thing. Got a couple of pkgs myself for about 1/2 price but thought they were a bit bigger than most the other tungsten jigs I have.  Quite a bit heavier hooks, not sure they're bigger though, but you might be able to open up the hooks some if you're careful 

monstermoose78

At sheels they used to have bulk ice jigs they were lead but some had bigger hooks. I was using those on Osakis after watching everyone else catching fish. The had flat sides like a custom jigs and spin diamond jigs. I might have to see if they still have those jigs there.

eyeguy 54

set the hook harder moose. ;) 

monstermoose78
1 minute ago, eyeguy 54 said:

set the hook harder moose. ;) 

Haha I will break my line. 

eyeguy 54

set the drag looser moose. ;)

eyeguy 54

looking online and cant find a 3mm with #14 hook so far. 

eyeguy 54

Heavy Metal Pro Series Tungsten Jigs from Sportsmens Direct

3mm  1/56 oz   #14 hook.  might have to try a couple. 

also 2mm with a #16 hook. I have never use a 2mm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom Sawyer

I would suggest changing jig head styles if your after a longer hook. Although, both the Drop Kick and Drop Jig by Clam are tough to beat for the larger hook size, on that style of head. As someone already suggested, ball head designs, along with different hook gaps, might up your hooking percentage. :(

eyeguy 54

I have had pretty good luck so far with the widowmaker 3mm with #16 on the crappies. Amazes me that those tiny hooks can catch a nice fish. 

eyeguy 54

would be nice to see a color chart

hmmmmm, acme says 3mm #12 hook. 

Tom Sawyer
11 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I have had pretty good luck so far with the widowmaker 3mm with #16 on the crappies. Amazes me that those tiny hooks can catch a nice fish. 

Having a smaller hook is to your advantage for holding fish, especially with "paper mouths" ;).

Speaking of which, time to head out.....

eyeguy 54

most of the jigs are stuck good in the top of the mouth so far is what I have been seeing. wear a windbreaker... :)

• Thumbs Up 1

eyeguy 54

.99-1.99 for the heavy metal series. shipping too much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

I will check them out thanks rick.

Cret Jigs

Rick ... you using the 3mm #18 silver head disco ball?  Impulse Mayflies fit on that?

Bob

Cret Jigs

EyeGuy ... widowmaker 3mm with #16  What colors you liking for Crappies and for Sunnies ... semi clear water?   

• Thumbs Up 1

eyeguy 54

#31 gold was my best color this winter. probably had it on 75% of the time. 3 and 4 mm. #42 white glow 4mm with the red and black eyeball was a good one also for the crappies. so many colors, so little time. LOL  I wish they had all the colors in 3mm. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

widow maker has the chigger fry also I see. might need to try them. 

Cret Jigs

I will try them with the Impulse "mayfly" This year yet :)   and or my Maki Minnow still producing.  Going to brave it out on a small lake later close to home.  Thanks for sharing ... will be using small pug bug for jig ... Green black and a black may fly have been getting a few nice sunnies for me a few weeks back.  (was warmer then)  

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

I love jigs!! I am addicted to buying them!

monstermoose78

3 mm and 2 mm jigs happy days I got. ordered multiples in these colors and sizes.

17D982DC-1053-44AE-B40E-62D10D033B42.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78

monstermoose78

Any new hot jigs coming out yet?

monstermoose78

Anything for jigs you need to get this year?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Has anyone been out to big swan recently? Curious how the ice is and if there are spots to avoid as I’ve not fished this lake before. Looking to target cats as my other lakes have been lacking this year. Don’t need other people’s spots just ice conditions. Would like to bring out my 3/4 ton and 17’ IC if possible. 
    • Yetzer2468
      By Yetzer2468
      Hey guys! First post so excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong spot. 

I just moved to Elk River, MN and am feening for some fish. I have no idea where to go first but do any of you know any decent spots to get some Crappie or Walleye within a 45 min drive from Elk River? Any spots are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!!!! 
    • Steven Matheny
      By Steven Matheny
      Hey y'all,
      Gf and I are having a bit of a time finding a lake in the twin cities area (about 30 minutes drive from downtown preferably) for her to go swimming and me to go fishing. Any suggestions or ideas?
    • cg2
      By cg2
      Anyone know of lakes with decent shore fishing near Mankato? I've gone to North Shore on Madison Lake but can't find any shore on other lakes near by. Any suggestions?
    • John Schulz
      By John Schulz
      Looking for some fun easy Shore fishing spots. New to fishing as an adult, only fished when I was 10-13 in scouts. From California having moved to Moorhead Oct 18, just got fishing license for my wife and I. 

Bought some poles and gear and just wondering if anyone can point me in the directions of some great spots to fish off shore, as we do not have a boat. 

Thank you. 
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      Day 1 up on Flag Island Resort brought us many Walleye, Sauger and Perch on the Minnesota side of Lake of the Woods. Day 2 however we went into the Canadian water to fish an area that has Walleye, Perch, Sauger and some REALLY BIG Crappies! This plan and location did not disappoint - I won't be forgetting this day on the ice!

• Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • cg2
      By cg2
      Hello all,

I am new to the area and don't know where to begin fishing. I'm looking for a lake around Mankato that has walleye / crappies in it. I would like to make it out a few times this fall yet and then hit the ice hard. Any advice on what lakes to start with? There's so many that I don't know how to choose which one to go to. 
    • Jesse Wilkins
      By Jesse Wilkins
      Hey fellas, I developed a free fishing phone app for my fellow fisherman. It’s called FishIQ. I broke down 10 species by their location based on the water temperature. So if you’re looking for quick pointers or interested on where to find other species throughout the seasons give it a try! Hopefully it leads to more fish at the boat!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• MJ1657
    • wookiemofo
      Let me know what you find, we are heading to Borden the following weekend... pending ice road!
    • Xplorer
      Question I have is are you just doing a day trip to the Angle waters to fish, or are you going to stay up there overnight also? I have snowmobiled from Longs Point resort to fish the Starren shoal area south of Garden island, and have gone as far as 4 block/crowduck islands.  Those were day trips, I've never gone all the way up to Angle Inlet.  When we went there we drove thru Sprague, MB and up (fished out of Jakes).   What we really had to watch out for is pressure ridges out on the main sheet.  Some of them took awhile to find a decent place to cross over them.  And obviously its a huge area, GPS/compass/map is needed.   If I remember it was about 22 miles from Long Point to Fourblock, and only about 14 to Garden.  None of this was on a snowmobile trail, all "cross-country".   
    • nofishfisherman
      Thanks for the diligent reports Cookie, I always enjoy reading them and getting an idea of what its really like out there.  Its been awhile since I've made it up and stayed with you.  Hoping to change that next season.  Had plans to head north the weekend after Christmas when that big storm hit but my buddy and I pulled the plug on the idea since we were planning to bring our 6 year old kids along for their first trip.  It was hard to disappoint them (and us) but making the hard decision to stay home was for sure the right call.  It means probably no ice fishing trip up north this year but we'll be back next year.  We'll give you a shout to hopefully get something booked.  
    • Getanet
      Realize this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone knows of any campgrounds near Tom Lake?  My buddy and I are thinking of taking kayaks instead of a boat for our spring fishing trip, and this lake seems small enough to be conducive to kayaking, while still offering a chance at some decent fishing. I haven't done much research, but everything I've found so far is close to Grand Marais, which seems like a fairly long drive to and from the lake each day. 
    • cookie129
      Well we made it home from my moms funeral in Iowa late last nite. Fishing report to follow.  Jonny boy and Richie will be busy today as they get out on the lake to make some  decisions on what we can do for the up and coming weekend.   After slamming on blue thunder last week installing a used rear end in blue thunder she lasted all of one day . While plowing out our driveway after a long day before banking un banking plowing moving houses etc she broke a front outer axel shaft. All this snow and slush has put my poor trucks through a work out. Getting stuck then trying to get them out is so much harder on them. I have always babied my fleet as much as possible. This year that is all most if not impossible. We were able to find parts on the way home so hopefully with a little luck we can get her up and running asap.  Some of the outfitters have pulled the plug for this year. Rumors fly on the internet making our winter even tougher? Most of the outfits that live here year long are still open. The wheel houses  have drawn the short straw this year.  Every season is different when it comes to mother nature. It is just the way it is. I have been preaching for 20 years she is the boss . One year the ice froze like a skating rink . I could of ice skated all the way to the north shore, another year the lake cracked all over the place? Another year we had over  3 feet of ice maybe closer to 4. Another year we hauled snow from shore to bank the houses. Another year it was 40 below for 5 days with highs 30 below.  Trying to share how all the house's did last weekend again is kind of  a nightmare. We headed out of town sunday while everyone was staying tell Monday. Sarah and her crew did manage to get 4 over 17 with a total of 15 fish taken home. From what I gathered the fish started to bite sunday? No one got skunked as far as I know. Again the rest of the houses caught some fish but I have no  numbers. Not being able to visit and get to know my customers  has been tough on me. I want to get in a truck right now  so I can go checkout the lake my self. After the little slip a couple weeks ago I keep telling my self I can not help period. I'm still hoping I can atleast do a little fishing in old Minnesota before the season ends. As long as I do not catch one over 10 lbs since that my weight restrictions  of what I can lift. If I do get any fish I will just have to hoist them out of the hole since bending over is tough with this brace on plus the brace is to stop me from bending.  Again sorry about the poor fishing report, its been a long week traveling  to southern Iowa and back.  At this time we are going day by day or week to week as we see what mother nature throws at us.   Again a few tid bits as we all try and make this world a better place.  Laugh more you only live once, laughter is the best medicine.  Be honest its a lot easier to remember the truth then to make things up. Give complements, open doors, lend a helping hand.  Call your parents,  Don't hold grudges. forgive and forget.  Love thy neighbor,  Pay it forward, 
    • Paul Waldowski
      For what species?
    • Wanderer
      It’s so pretty it looks mounted already 
    • Rick G
      Suspended 10ft  off bottom, over basin area. 4mm black tungsren with white finnesse style body
    • BobT
      This morning I found a solution. I had an old pair of cross country skis that I haven't used in 25 years. I got some 1" PVC pipe and made a frame and fastened it to the skis similar to the Smitty Sled design. Took about 1-1/2 hours to make it. Tried it out this afternoon and it worked great.