• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Cret Jigs

I will try them with the Impulse "mayfly" This year yet :)   and or my Maki Minnow still producing.  Going to brave it out on a small lake later close to home.  Thanks for sharing ... will be using small pug bug for jig ... Green black and a black may fly have been getting a few nice sunnies for me a few weeks back.  (was warmer then)  

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

I love jigs!! I am addicted to buying them!

monstermoose78
Posted (edited)

3 mm and 2 mm jigs happy days I got. ordered multiples in these colors and sizes.

17D982DC-1053-44AE-B40E-62D10D033B42.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78

monstermoose78

Any new hot jigs coming out yet?

monstermoose78

Anything for jigs you need to get this year?

eyeguy 54

will be ordering from widow maker again soon

AlwaysFishing23

I spent WAY WAY to much at the scheels ice show on Friday. Another TUCR inferno M, a new hard side rod case, a few X-mas gifts, line to replace all line on the rigs. And 25% of clam tackle, northland and buy 3 VMC lures get a free hat. So I stocked up for the year. Also was informed buy the ice force reps that VMC trigger x will no longer be making or selling plastics. Only pre rigged on the VMC baits. So that means no more mustache worms looked on line and everywhere is sold out. Dang those were great plastics. Ooh well I’ve got a lot of the maki plastics so I will start using those instead till my trigger x stash runs out. I’m officially ready for ice finished prepping everything last night. Took almost a month but I’m good to go! Now to sell that frabil recon shuttle sitting In the basement I bought last year and never used...

eyeguy 54

lotta plastics out there to help with your addiction. :)

• Haha 1

AlwaysFishing23

Add jigs on with them plastics!😀 What I’ve found is finding the right jig and plastic combo for you and what you feel works well. For me it’s a 1/32oz VMC tubby jig in orange, pink or green with a mustche worm or a wax worm both will always catch fish. I was pointed to the little atom? I think they were called cheap $2 a package and look identical to the muchatche worm in red but cut in half which is supposedly suppose to work just as well. For those of you who fish the maki plastics what work best for you? I’ve got the Neki, Jamie, jamie XL and the maki in a few different colors.

monstermoose78
1 hour ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Add jigs on with them plastics!😀 What I’ve found is finding the right jig and plastic combo for you and what you feel works well. For me it’s a 1/32oz VMC tubby jig in orange, pink or green with a mustche worm or a wax worm both will always catch fish. I was pointed to the little atom? I think they were called cheap $2 a package and look identical to the muchatche worm in red but cut in half which is supposedly suppose to work just as well. For those of you who fish the maki plastics what work best for you? I’ve got the Neki, Jamie, jamie XL and the maki in a few different colors.

I am a maki mino guy the 1 inch ones for gills and crappies. The xl mino is great for big crappies perch and eyes. I have used many of the maki plastics but I tend to have the best luck with white with red flakes mino. The poli was good as well. 

• Thanks 1

monstermoose78

The impulse mayflies are awesome as well!

eyeguy 54

shhhhhhhhh ;)

monstermoose78
20 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

shhhhhhhhh ;)

What?

I can’t find any of them anywhere!

monstermoose78

What colors are your go to colors?

eyeguy 54

looking forward to trying the polka dots out. will be interesting to see if gills and crappies like them.

• l Love It 1

rundrave
2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

looking forward to trying the polka dots out. will be interesting to see if gills and crappies like them.

I bought a bunch of polka dot jigs from widow maker booth at the ice institute in Sioux Falls last weekend. 

Was really nice to meet and chat with them in person.

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

Anyone find any new jigs or plastics at the ice show?

Tom Sawyer
4 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Anyone find any new jigs or plastics at the ice show?

Not at the show..., but new to me, been hearing since they been out, they've been putting the hurt on the walleyes.... lookin forward to proven it right!!!😋DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.93bc02baef38e29d10175834e5c8c3cb.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

Those look good Tom

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • cg2
      By cg2
      Hello all,

I am new to the area and don't know where to begin fishing. I'm looking for a lake around Mankato that has walleye / crappies in it. I would like to make it out a few times this fall yet and then hit the ice hard. Any advice on what lakes to start with? There's so many that I don't know how to choose which one to go to. 
    • Jesse Wilkins
      By Jesse Wilkins
      Hey fellas, I developed a free fishing phone app for my fellow fisherman. It’s called FishIQ. I broke down 10 species by their location based on the water temperature. So if you’re looking for quick pointers or interested on where to find other species throughout the seasons give it a try! Hopefully it leads to more fish at the boat!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃
    • Bassman1
      By Bassman1
      Hi all my group will be up there on potatoe lake june 1 looking for any fish ideas and how toos especially pike and smallies were from Iowa large mouth country so i need help love some pan fish too
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Some of the shallowest panfish we catch each winter happen in March during late ice on many fisheries.  Fun sight fishing patterns often emerge.  Fish can sometimes be found in a few feet of water under the ice.  Shallow weed patterns often come alive at late ice.  Many anglers assume that aquatic vegetation has to be green and vibrant in order to hold fish.   While still green weeds do hold fish, dead stands of weeds will also hold fish if the weeds provide cover and there is good oxygen.  When the ice begins to rot along the shorelines and water begins to seep into the lake along the shorelines, shallow water can be extremely productive.
      One of my absolute favorite locations for looking for shallow water bluegills at late ice is really shallow pencil reeds.  Pencil reed beds are common on many lakes and often hold big fish.  In many cases… depending on the thickness of the ice,  we might only be fishing in two to three feet of water under the ice.
      These pencil reed locations can really vary in size and profile.  Some dish bowl lakes might simply see pencil reeds lining the rim of the lake where there is the right sand bottom composition.  Other locations might be prominent reefs and bars that might be several acres.  My favorite type of location features pencil reeds that are growing out into five or six feet of water with a little bit of a roll to the contour where there is a sharper break running along the outside edge of the reeds.
      There are many strategies to fishing these reed beds but there is one overriding challenge.  You have to drill several holes to really figure out the nuances of the location but drilling a lot of holes over these shallow locations seems to push the fish off.
      Can’t prove this but it seems like electric augers and smaller bits seem less intrusive.  Six and four inch augers shine for cutting enough holes to really figure out these locations.  On the flip side, these smaller holes are terrible for sight fishing.  If you are planning on strictly sight fishing, use an eight or ten inch auger to give you a bigger window and let everything settle down after you drill your holes.  Another tip is to not drive vehicles over the location or drag anything on the ice.  When initially figuring out a location, we typically drill a lot of holes for simply learning the spot.
      You can walk from hole to hole and fish but what we so often find is that we catch a lot more fish by recognizing the sweet spots and waiting out fish.  The sweet spots are often open lanes and cuts, troughs and dips in the bottom that funnel fish movements.  Once you recognize and locate these spots, you can sit and let everything settle down.  Seen it happen often where you drill your holes and it takes five to ten minutes for fish to come back underneath you.
      You can definitely fish too aggressive and move too much in this type of situation because the reality is that fish might be scooting ten to twenty feet away from each step you take.  Have also seen situations where fish wouldn’t swim underneath a shelter or sled.  As a rule of thumb, you can get away with much more noise and presence if you are alone and on the spot first. As angling pressure increases over multiple days however, it seems like fish become more sensitive to everything.  The more you fish a location and learn the spot on the spots however the less holes you have to drill and the less intrusive you can be.
      Big bull bluegills in pencil reeds can be a handful.  These fish can wrap you up and break you off.  Because this can often be combat fishing, I often opt for heavier line like the Frost Four Pound  Mono.  This isn’t finesse fishing.  Because four pound test can lack sensitivity, I often use tungsten jigs even in this often shallow water just because the added weight of tungsten improves the performance of heavier lines.
      These patterns are notorious for producing big bluegills and this is fun fishing.  Much like trying to pull a heavy bass from out underneath a dock or laydown, there is an element of drama when fighting big fish in heavy cover.  Focus on the troughs, holes and bowls or any sharp outside edge that is in tight proximity to high dense stands of rushes and you will typically find big bluegills at late ice.
      Just remember, shallow pencil reed patterns can often provide some exciting fishing opportunities for big bluegills at late ice.
      http://fishingminnesota.com/top-stories/the-skinny-on-bulls-late-season-panfish-ice-fishing-adjustments/
      by Jason MItchell
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      I am heading to Florida on vacation in a day and I'm not sure what sort of ice conditions I'm going to come back to in the Twin Cities in April. With that I mind I decided to walk out on a Metro lake with a buddy on Wednesday to try to capitalize on a sundown shallow water bite. We used big baits and fished a shallow weedy point. The Crappies would come flying out of the thick stuff and hammer the baits - it was a lot of fun to watch on the flasher! How late into April do you think we'll be ice fishing in the Metro?

• Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• CJH
      Fished a small west metro lake this afternoon.  Shallow was 6-7 inches, about 5 inches out in the middle, good solid ice.  This lake locked up early and didn't get messed up by wind or warm temps.  I drilled holes as I went just to keep checking the ice, since it was our first time out for the year.
    • Wanderer
      I stayed on the ice this afternoon and out of the woods.  I watched the sun fade with the last day of the ML season with mine in the truck at the access.   The darndest thing: the fishing was terrible.  Kept hoping I’d find em or it would pick up in the evening.  Neither really happened. 😔     Still, it’s been a good hunting year.  Thanks all of you that shared your season here!
    • monstermoose78
      I go bare hands
    • leech~~
      You may get two of these warm and waterproof, or waterproof and dexterity but you may be hard press to get all three as dexterity is hard to get with the other two in a glove.  The best I have been able to do is some Duck hunting gloves which aren't cheap. 
    • Spearing Machine
      Sunday evening report: Set up in 27 fow on 10 inches of ice off the West end of Ely island. I  fished from 2:40-5:00 tonight. Caught 4 and missed 2 more on the set line. Tossed everything back, about an 8 , 11, 13 and 15 inch fish. One on set line with plain red hook and chub near bottom and 3 jigging (one on a macho minnow and 2 on a flyer). Had a couple other good marks that didn't commit. Lots of wheeled/skid houses pulled out this weekend all over Mckinley/big bay area. About 3-4 inches of snow so good for travel with sleds or wheelers.
    • Wanderer
      Yah, that’s a tough situation @Kettle.  Neoprene are pretty much the trend but they still aren’t magic.  I bought a pair of diving gloves and they’re much better than any standard fishing glove.     I bet those Simms are nice.   Try to find a pair that fits well but aren’t too snug, and possibly have a breathable back.  
    • Wanderer
      Agreed, there always seems to be some geese over wintering.  I continue to see geese flying around and roosted in open rivers.  Swans too.  Had a pair circle me tonight while I was ice fishing.  It’s getting to be an ordinary thing - seeing swans in the winter.
    • GeluNumber1
      Went out last night for sturgeon. Considering it was my first outing of the year, I did okay with a couple sub-30" fish. Saw some dandies.
    • Mike89
      '   that's what i did in the end....
    • Kettle
      It's making ice but there were some pretty large open areas tonight