• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

monstermoose78

So if you are like me and have a jig addiction please help. I am looking for 3 mm sized jigs with bigger hooks. Why you ask I have been fishing lakes with big gills, but also have big crappies. Those tiny hooks on the 3 mm jigs just don’t seem to hold those crappies as well. I found the clam xl jigs but they are between 3.75-5 bucks jig. Anyone know where to find some small jigs with bigger hooks please let me know. Would you all be interested in finding jigs like this as well. Thanks 

gunner55

I recently found some Acme jigs on closeout at Walmart in GR that I thought had bigger/heavier hooks than most tungsten jigs. Normally they're $4.50-$5 per 2 got mine for $3 for 2, for that price I thought I'd give them a try.

Edited by gunner55
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mbarbeau

Northland tungsten fireballs

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78
4 hours ago, gunner55 said:

I recently found some Acme jigs on closeout at Walmart in GR that I thought had bigger/heavier hooks than most tungsten jigs. Normally they're $4.50-$5 per 2 got mine for $3 for 2, for that price I thought I'd give them a try.

Thanks I will look at acme

4 minutes ago, Mbarbeau said:

Northland tungsten fireballs

Thanks I will have to look at those again as I have some, so I will check to see if the are small enough. 

Mbarbeau

they definatly arent as small as the 3mm but they do work good for bluegill and can hook into crappie nicely

IceHawk

Bought a bunch of those Acme tungsten jigs myself at wallmart closeout great deal. I got mine for a buck a  2 pack :) They are marked 3 mm but they are bigger than that they are 4mm for sure. Still a great deal! 

• Thumbs Up 2

gunner55

Beat me too it Icehawk, as I was about to say the same thing. Got a couple of pkgs myself for about 1/2 price but thought they were a bit bigger than most the other tungsten jigs I have.  Quite a bit heavier hooks, not sure they're bigger though, but you might be able to open up the hooks some if you're careful 

monstermoose78

At sheels they used to have bulk ice jigs they were lead but some had bigger hooks. I was using those on Osakis after watching everyone else catching fish. The had flat sides like a custom jigs and spin diamond jigs. I might have to see if they still have those jigs there.

eyeguy 54

set the hook harder moose. ;) 

monstermoose78
1 minute ago, eyeguy 54 said:

set the hook harder moose. ;) 

Haha I will break my line. 

eyeguy 54

set the drag looser moose. ;)

eyeguy 54

looking online and cant find a 3mm with #14 hook so far. 

eyeguy 54

Heavy Metal Pro Series Tungsten Jigs from Sportsmens Direct

3mm  1/56 oz   #14 hook.  might have to try a couple. 

also 2mm with a #16 hook. I have never use a 2mm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom Sawyer

I would suggest changing jig head styles if your after a longer hook. Although, both the Drop Kick and Drop Jig by Clam are tough to beat for the larger hook size, on that style of head. As someone already suggested, ball head designs, along with different hook gaps, might up your hooking percentage. :(

eyeguy 54

I have had pretty good luck so far with the widowmaker 3mm with #16 on the crappies. Amazes me that those tiny hooks can catch a nice fish. 

eyeguy 54

would be nice to see a color chart

hmmmmm, acme says 3mm #12 hook. 

Tom Sawyer
11 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I have had pretty good luck so far with the widowmaker 3mm with #16 on the crappies. Amazes me that those tiny hooks can catch a nice fish. 

Having a smaller hook is to your advantage for holding fish, especially with "paper mouths" ;).

Speaking of which, time to head out.....

eyeguy 54

most of the jigs are stuck good in the top of the mouth so far is what I have been seeing. wear a windbreaker... :)

• Thumbs Up 1

eyeguy 54

.99-1.99 for the heavy metal series. shipping too much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

I will check them out thanks rick.

Cret Jigs

Rick ... you using the 3mm #18 silver head disco ball?  Impulse Mayflies fit on that?

Bob

Cret Jigs

EyeGuy ... widowmaker 3mm with #16  What colors you liking for Crappies and for Sunnies ... semi clear water?   

• Thumbs Up 1

eyeguy 54

#31 gold was my best color this winter. probably had it on 75% of the time. 3 and 4 mm. #42 white glow 4mm with the red and black eyeball was a good one also for the crappies. so many colors, so little time. LOL  I wish they had all the colors in 3mm. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

widow maker has the chigger fry also I see. might need to try them. 

Cret Jigs

I will try them with the Impulse "mayfly" This year yet :)   and or my Maki Minnow still producing.  Going to brave it out on a small lake later close to home.  Thanks for sharing ... will be using small pug bug for jig ... Green black and a black may fly have been getting a few nice sunnies for me a few weeks back.  (was warmer then)  

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

I love jigs!! I am addicted to buying them!

monstermoose78

3 mm and 2 mm jigs happy days I got. ordered multiples in these colors and sizes.

17D982DC-1053-44AE-B40E-62D10D033B42.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78

monstermoose78

Any new hot jigs coming out yet?

monstermoose78

Anything for jigs you need to get this year?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Borch
      By Borch
      Fished hard for 3 days on Big Stone Lake and the bite was very, very tough.  The nice Marked a lot of fish and just couldn't get them to bite. Did manage some dandy perch and trophy gills,(released) but not a lot of numbers.  Saturday late afternoon we stuck 3 gills over 10".  My nephew had one that was at least 10 1/2" but released it before I could measure or get a pic.  Sunday we had 2 more at or just under 10".  Had to downsize to get bit.  Did catch a couple on set lines with fatheads.   Spoons didn't get bit often.  Tungsten jigs or flies tipped with plastics or eurolarvae got most of the action.  
      Found fish in or near basin areas near shallower rock structures.  We would drill, drill and then drill some more.  Once we found fish we would make smaller moves or wait out schools cruising through the area. Travel conditions were excellent.   Just had to watch out for the occassional drift or old plowed road.  Here are a few pics from the weekend.

• AlwaysFishing23
      By AlwaysFishing23
      Well we wrapped up a few days up north. Tried a lake I’ve been to a few times in past but seem to always struggle at getting anything going. It took a lot of miles on the sled and be willing to go out in subzero temps and strong winds but I was able to contact a massive amount of gills. Ended up catching around 300 I figure. Biggest was about 9”- 9 1/2”. A lot of dandies over all. Kept a few meals to hold me over for a while. Next day went back and threw out a tipup with suckers I had left over from a few weeks ago. I literally could not keep the flag down! ( haha what a funny sentence!!) it was not stop flags and fish! I even had one spool me as I running up to it! So much fun. The gills were all in about 14fow but were stacked from bottom up to about 5 ft down. It’s One of the clearest lakes in the state So I was able to sight fish them and let me tell you if your able to sight fish gills its one of the most entertaining things I can think of doing. Even we’re able to put a decent amount of miles on the sleds. The trails up there were the best I’ve seen and were perfect shape for riding. 

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
    • Fishing Trend bD
      By Fishing Trend bD
      Net fishing in Asia is a traditional fishing method. I hope you enjoy.
      tilapia
      tilapia fishing
      tilapia fish catching
      Village fishing
      fish catching
      fishing videos
      fishing videos bd
      fishing bd
      unique fishing
      Catch fishing
      Daily Fishing Life
      fishing videos daily
      Top Fishing Videos
      bd Village fishing
      Best fishing
      best fishing videos
      fish and fishing
      big fish hunting
      fish lover
      Fish Hunting Videos
      Traditional Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Primitive Fishing BD
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Found this and would like to see your opinions....

The DNR is in the process of finalizing plans for the Quality Bluegill Initiative, revealed last summer in the hope of going public early this spring.

Implementation would happen in 2021. The goal was to greatly increase the number of lakes in the state with reduced limits for bluegills in hopes of growing bigger sunfish.

Big sunfish, as anybody who's dunked a worm knows, is among the rarest of fish in Minnesota. A true trophy, 10 inches or longer, might be tougher to catch than an eight-pound walleye. Decades of liberal bag limits, anglers keeping too many big fish and the belief that you could never "overfish" sunnies took their toll.

The DNR spent the past several months identifying between 200 and 250 lakes on which it can cut the current statewide 20-fish limit to 10 or five sunfish. Lakes on the list needed to meet certain criteria, including public support and the biological capability to grow big bluegills.

Jim Wolters, DNR's area fisheries manager in Fergus Falls, said there are 13 lakes in Otter Tail County and 5 in Becker County under consideration for reduced sunfish limits.

What do you think?
    • Stickjiggler
      By Stickjiggler
      Has anyone had any success sharpening their own Laser blades?
      Any tips, tricks?
    • DonkeyHodey
      By DonkeyHodey
      Here’s the end of my fall open-water fish.  (I can't wait 'til I can start casting again; Perhaps that's blasphemy to say during the heart of hard water season...)
      These were mostly perch with one or two sunnies.

I adjusted my usual recipe:  Made a pulverized dry batter of 1 part peanuts, 2 parts goldfish crackers, 1 part whole wheat crackers, 2 parts flour.
      Dusted the fillets well and pan-fried in corn oil.  Seasoned with a sprinkle of Cavenders.

(First time I’ve tried peanuts in a fry-batter and The “critics” (wife and 2 kids) gave it definite two thumbs up!)

Doesn’t look like there’s been much talk of recipes so perhaps this will start a thread as I'd love to hear if others here have "secret ingredients" to savor up their fishies.
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Who likes them?  I have never tried them. Friend nailed big perch in ND yesterday and loves them. Not sure if I would take a bite. Lol

• budboy
      By budboy
      Anyone know how  thik the ice is on big marine and are they driving out there? thanks would like to go out there tonight but have to drive out bad hip
    • Paul Waldowski
      By Paul Waldowski
      Fishing Opener - Tired of sitting in traffic trying to escape the Cities? Looking for a shorter drive and less congestion?  We have you covered...  Enjoy your opener with us and have a hassle free weekend.

When you book 2 nights lodging in any cabin you will receive:
      Free launch access, boat dockage and dock electric
      Access to indoor pool and hot tub
      Friday
      6pm Welcome BBQ on Friday night- Brats, Hotdogs, Chips, Captain Ken’s Baked Beans, Pasta salad & Lemonade
      7:00 pm Fishing Lake Koronis Seminar by Capt. Josh Hagemeister of Minnesota Guide Service
      8:30pm Fishing LIES….I mean stories and smores around the campfire
      Saturday
      6am- 8am Continental breakfast in main lobby – Fruit-bread-pastries -cereal – Milk, juices-coffee
      3pm – 5pm Mom’s Break Time– Bugbee hive staff will have activities and movie time with the children.
      Sunday
      7am – 9am Mother’s day breakfast – Omelet station, Scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, Sausage links, Bacon, fruit, assorted bread, pastries, Milk, Juice and coffee

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Hoey
      I speared a bit back in the day when I only had weekends off, no augers, only chisels, we'd get to the lake late Friday night.  On Saturday morning we'd cut/chisel our holes which was real man-work, we'd be spent already.  We'd then fish that afternoon and a little on Sunday morning, then heading home by noon to recover.  We did good if we got one pike each during these trips.  I often wonder how much more fishing we could do if we had powered augers.  Geez, when those hand powered cup "augers" came out, we thought we had the world by the arse.  
    • Mike89
      67 here and don't want any big one's I enjoy seeing them swim by!!!!  didn't get out this winter with some health issues, but plan to next year!!!
    • BobT
      Latest data that I have found indicates it is best to recharge deep-cycle batteries as soon as possible after each use and and quickly as possible without overheating the battery. One of the worst things we fishermen do is deep-cycle our batteries and then leave them set for long periods without recharging. This is very hard on batteries.   The Minn Kota Precision on-board charger is a good choice. It is a smart charger so it uses a multiple charging sequence so it will control both voltage and current output depending on the state of charge of the battery(s). Each bank can be set up for individual battery type and is individually controlled for optimum charger performance.    I think you have made a great choice.
    • MRGC
      The Monticello Rod and Gun Club is having a Turkey Gun Sight in on April 4th and 5th.  More on their website if anyone is interested. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of ice fishing with lots of fish frys.  Good fishing reports, most fishing in 27 - 33' of water.  Ice conditions on LOW remain excellent at around 30 inches where most are fishing.  Use combo of jigging line and deadstick.  Try spoons or lipless crankbaits with rattles to pull fish in.  Pink hook with a minnow on deadstick effective this week.  Some good colors overall, gold, glow, pink, green, orange and chartreuse.  Don't be afraid to downsize presentation on a tough bite day.  Small spoon with a minnow head, wax worm or euro larvae can catch extra fish.  Electronics will catch more fish.  Some nice walleyes showing up suspended.  Pike fishing continues to heat up.  Tip ups and big baits on quick strike rigs  the ticket.   On the Rainy River...   Local anglers catching some walleyes in the river.  Most anglers fishing the lake.  Extra caution is always needed on the river, especially with higher current this year.  Thin ice around the International Bridge in Baudette.  Work through resort or know ice conditions if ice fishing the river as ice thickness varies. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing reports good up at the Angle.  Resorts in 26 - 32' of water.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with big jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  The snowmobile trails both across the lake and in the woods are in great shape.  Jigging with a bait with rattles has helped to pull in walleyes.  Fish houses on the ice through March 31st, walleyes and saugers open through April 14. 
    • smurfy
      i'm gonna claim B.S. on the spear all the big ones. i live and breathe pike spearing and in no circimstance am i out there to get that elusive monster pike. i'm 62, not sure i'd be considered an old timer, but i've been sitting in a spear shack since i was maybe 10.   do i spear a few fish....yeah......small ones ....yeah!!!!!! fact is i let alot of fish swim for another day!!!!!!half that fun is watching there goofy behavior under the ice along with the other species of fish  see!!!!!!!   and lastly, i gues the term big fish is in the eye of the beholder. like kettle said.............its legal.........have at it and dont let anyone discourage you from doing it.👍
    • iiccee63
      People at the bar I talked to said it's been dead all winter and everybody moved off the lake.
    • Kettle
      It is a generational thing for sure.  Most of the old timers that spear pike over 30" do eat them, there are still people who will fillet a 26" walleye to.  We have regulations that do allow this and although it may seem that people are constantly taking big fish I do think that there are more people who do not.  I think the movement has slowly grown regarding conservation of fishing.  Spearing was something I did a lot in my teens and really enjoyed it.  I speared regularly on a lake loaded with 20"-25" fish and the locals loved people who speared because the pike had essentially taken over the lake.  It all depends where you go.  I'm not much for eating a 36-40" pike and I'm not going to mount it so why spear it?  Spearing is a sport, legal to do and fun.  So do not let anyone sway you from doing it! 
    • eyeguy 54
      Checked with batteries plus and they say no issue. Good to hear. 
    • rundrave
      We are now officially just a few days out. Weather looking great for the rest of the week with no snow in the forecast!    If you are planning to attend, chime in over on HSO and let us know: HSO Big Stone get together   Anyone have any fishing reports to share after the weekend? I am sure it was was a busy place with the nice weather.    I am still trying to formulate a plan on where to meet up. I would prefer to not fish in the herd but may not have that option. It may just depend on who is all coming and from where. It appears we will have some people from SD and MN. Give me some feedback and let us know what works or doesn't work for you. I think we can all get around on the lake with just about any means of transportation if we avoid the drifts. But I think snow cover is pretty minimal right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.