• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

LakeofthewoodsMN

Lake of the woods fishing report

LakeofthewoodsMN

Ice fishing on the lake heated up this week. Reefs to the west produced some nice fish as did areas adjacent to the south shore. Shallows overall producing nicely for the morning / evening bite.  Fish deeper in the afternoon. Rippin Raps hot this week along with plain hook and live minnow.  Some ice roads open to trucks some only atv/sleds, and some closed.  Call ahead and work through a resort / outfitter who is monitoring their road. Big pike being caught in pre-spawn areas and on top of reefs.  Live suckers, big smelt, or hot dogs have been producing best.  Pike bait must be through authorized bait dealer to prevent VHS.  Auger extensions still needed.

Rainy River spring fishing in full swing.  Birchdale and Frontier landings are open to all boats with the open water line moving west more every day. Nice walleyes being caught despite chilly temps over weekend. Safety first. 

The NW Angle walleye bite will continue to be good until the end of the season, April 14. Walleyes and saugers in traditional areas in 15-20 feet during morning/evening and 21-25 feet during the day. Pike in shallow bays.  Make sure to get your new fishing license.  

• Like 1

Handsonthepole

Not sure about the previous post.  Rainy river access is difficult due to refreezing of areas around the accesses.  Lots of issues with frozen motors and difficulty getting in and out of the water.  Was on the river twice and not going back until the weather warms up.  Not sure on the ice fishing but do know there are many places with over 50 inches.  Give the river some time.  With the forecasted cold temps for at least a week the river might be a bust this year.

• Like 2

CANOPY SAM

Couldn't agree more with Handsonthepole.  Does anyone here have an actual "firsthand" report of current icefishing success?

Our 10-day forecast doesn't look promising in terms of melting....either ice, or even much of the snow that remains on the ice.  With the current ice thickness over much of the lake I'm actually a bit concerned about how close we'll be to the opener and open water!  That ice sheet is THICK!!!!!

Anyone seeing the ice bite pick up at all?  Last time I was up it was disappointingly slow.  Typically really starts to pick up this late in the spring, but most springs we see a LOT more melting and sun penetration by now.

• Like 2

Kettle

Fished this past Sat and Sunday on the South end.  Most places are between 46-48+ inches of ice, the auger we were using maxed out at 48 inches and there were a few places that we couldn't get through.  Cold front shut down fishing for us at least.  Sat we got 5 keepers for two guys on red small spoons and frozen shiner heads.  Sunday caught a few but they were small.  Caught several tulibee but I would correlate that to the depth we were fishing.  31-35 ft of water off structure is where we found the most fish.  Marked fish but they didn't want to play.  In front of the gap there is about 3 feet of ice and the current is quite strong didn't catch any there.  I think we might have done better with set lines and live bait since the fish were finicky.  In regards to travel we were in a side by side.  There are definitely some rough areas.  It was easily noticeable that prior to last weekend there was ample slush and a few sketchy areas but these were froze for us.  We fished the river last Friday and it was a bugger with floating ice chunks and we only caught two around 18" jig fishing.  Opener could be iffy to say the least......  

• Like 1

PRO-V

The first post is all bluster and promotion. I don't usually even read their reports. It's just area advertising.

• Like 1

CANOPY SAM

Thanks Kettle.  That's kind of what I expected to hear.

We usually see the bite pick up quite a bit around this time of year, but this year is obviously quite a bit different than most!  Last night (April 5th) we were in the midst of a full-blown winter blizzard here!  Fairly hard snowfall.  Wind was blowing 25-35 mph.  Visibility darn near zero for several hours.  And this morning, as per our typical weather patterns, we've dropped back down to single digit temps, with wind chills pushing -15 to -20 below!!!  Someone has obviously forgotten it's supposed to be Spring!!!

I honestly don't know if it's a lack of sun penetration due to extremely thick ice (and some remaining snow cover), seemingly constant weather changes, or perhaps very cold water temps that are just NOT changing, or maybe very low oxygen levels below that thick ice sheet, or perhaps it's a combination of all these factors, but it seems that dynamite late ice bite just isn't kicking off yet.

They gotta be preparing for the spawn, and one would normally expect these fish would start putting on the feedbag, but for whatever reason they are still very neutral.

Your latest report, Kettle, sounds identical to our experience from a few weeks ago.  A few keepers, a few whitefish, and lots of lookers.  I did have a little better success by downsizing my baits....ie., very small jigging spoons, and very small live minnows on a plain white, pink, or orange hook.  For all intents and purposes, we're still stuck in the midst of a late winter (dog day winter) bite.

At this point it's going to take a major weather change to get this lake ice free by mid-May, and right now we're not seeing anything on the extended weather forecast that will bring about hope for an ice-free opener.  I think I can speak for most of us who live in the northern tier of Minnesota when I say we're more than ready for warmer weather. :(

• Like 2

Bigfatbert
On 4/6/2018 at 11:43 AM, CANOPY SAM said:

Thanks Kettle.  That's kind of what I expected to hear.

We usually see the bite pick up quite a bit around this time of year, but this year is obviously quite a bit different than most!  Last night (April 5th) we were in the midst of a full-blown winter blizzard here!  Fairly hard snowfall.  Wind was blowing 25-35 mph.  Visibility darn near zero for several hours.  And this morning, as per our typical weather patterns, we've dropped back down to single digit temps, with wind chills pushing -15 to -20 below!!!  Someone has obviously forgotten it's supposed to be Spring!!!

I honestly don't know if it's a lack of sun penetration due to extremely thick ice (and some remaining snow cover), seemingly constant weather changes, or perhaps very cold water temps that are just NOT changing, or maybe very low oxygen levels below that thick ice sheet, or perhaps it's a combination of all these factors, but it seems that dynamite late ice bite just isn't kicking off yet.

They gotta be preparing for the spawn, and one would normally expect these fish would start putting on the feedbag, but for whatever reason they are still very neutral.

Your latest report, Kettle, sounds identical to our experience from a few weeks ago.  A few keepers, a few whitefish, and lots of lookers.  I did have a little better success by downsizing my baits....ie., very small jigging spoons, and very small live minnows on a plain white, pink, or orange hook.  For all intents and purposes, we're still stuck in the midst of a late winter (dog day winter) bite.

At this point it's going to take a major weather change to get this lake ice free by mid-May, and right now we're not seeing anything on the extended weather forecast that will bring about hope for an ice-free opener.  I think I can speak for most of us who live in the northern tier of Minnesota when I say we're more than ready for warmer weather. :(

Hey CANOPY SAM ,   in response to your statement of lack of a  "dynamite late ice bite" ,  In my opinion , i would say that a late ice "dynamite bite" is brought on on by warmth that's producing a melt , and there has been virtually no warmth , so no melt , thus the lack of a dynamite late ice bite ...   

tipupsonly

Anyone been out? We were up a couple weeks ago and drove off road all over. Hasn’t been real warm since. Wondering if I should leave the atvs at home. We went out of Springsteel and fished around south tip. The access was taking a beating then but I’m guessing if that’s not too terrible should be ok to drive still off the roads. Be nice to leave the trailer at home. I’m not afraid of driving off road, but the first 1/4 mile by shore always worries me when it’s so beat up.  Any info would be appreciated. 

DP

Fished 4/7/18 8am to Sunday 4/8/18 10am in my wheelhouse, we were out of Long Pt in 28', there was 41" of ice.  Saturday started slow, we kept 6 saugers/2 walleyes (2 of us),  rattle reels went off at midnight, one keeper walleye and one keeper sauger, then nothing til 6:30am, but then it was busy, we had our limits by 8am.  Nothing over 17", we threw back 25 small ones overall, most of our keepers were 13-14" sauger, with a few walleye 15-17".  Most fish came on set lines with a plain red hook, did manage a few jigging small spoons.  They were not as shy as previous trips this year.  Travel was good, not much snow, but lots of ice heaves in the area to avoid.  

• Like 1

northspear

Was wondering if you need to check in with the border when crossing into buffalo bay? I know in Ontario you don't need to call in anymore.