• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

BobT

Ice fishing the opener???

BobT

WIth the opener in May just 5 weeks away, about 3' of ice on the local lakes, about a foot of new white snow on top, no reported open lakes yet shown on the DNR ice out map, and the forecast showing below freezing temps for the rest of this week it is looking pretty likely that we could still have a lot of ice on the lakes for the opener even around here. I usually go to Vermilion for the opener but I highly doubt that will work this year. Maybe this is the year we break the old record since May 14, 1950?

Hoey

If I recall correctly, next week will be in the 50's with thunderstorms.  This type of weather will knock a lot of ice off the lakes.  The sun angle is higher in the sky and that too will work fast.

AlwaysFishing23

It’s possible but not really likely. Yes we will be making ice this week but next week with temps in the 50s it doesn’t take long then. Even if we did still have ice around it probably wouldn’t even be safe to fish. Its like that time like in the fall when there’s to much ice to get the boat though but not enough to “safely” ice fish. Lake Superior is ice free so I’m not even remotely worried if there’s to much ice the salmon bite will be banging around opener so no big deal to me.

• Like 1

Cliff Wagenbach

I remember 3 years ago when we were dodging icebergs in Big Bay on the opener Saturday! We could only get out as far as Birch Island from Pike Bay area!

I saw a boat with 3 or 4 guys in it pulled up to the main ice flow and the guys sitting on the ice in lawn chairs!:lol:

Cliff

• Like 2

AlwaysFishing23

Hey cliff do you think vermilion will be fishable on opener this year in the boat?

Cliff Wagenbach

I think there will at least be some open water to fish!

Sure hope so anyway! I am going stir crazy!!

Cliff

• Like 1

BobT

I don't think 50 degree temps will melt the snow cover and then the ice very fast unless it is accompanied by bright sun. 

gimruis

There's a good chance that the entire northern half of the state will still have ice on May 12.

slammer

2013 was a late spring with ice lingering late.  I wonder how this year compares with that year as far as temps and ice thickness across the state?

eyeguy 54

By the looks of the forcast this year might be worse. time will tell.

slammer

I went back on the Ottertail forum and looked at '13 conditions.  You might be right eyeguy.  Looks like the ice went fairly quick on OT once it warmed up.

BobT

It's been a lot of years since I recall ice this thick around here. 

Tom Sawyer

It really depends on how many "sunny" days we have; if we'll be dodging ice bergs on opener or not. Even after a record low of 2 above last night, by 10 am this morning, that sun's energy feels great out here right now..... :D

BobT

Let's all hope I'm wrong!  :D

Got a new bow mount to put to the test.

nofishfisherman

I doubt the low temps we are having right now are adding any new ice.  All its doing is refreezing snow that melts in the sun.  Even now with temps in the 20's and 30's snow is melting with the power of the sun.

Extended forecasts shows 50's and even some 60's for the metro area.  Add in some rain and as much sun as we can get and I'm sure everyone will be able to find a place to put a boat in.  There may be some ice on some northern MN lakes that limit options to some extent but if you look I'm sure you'll have some open water to tool around.  

IceHawk

Well you definitely will be ice fishing  on some lakes that's for sure! Was on Osakis today drove my full size pickup out. Ice was still rock hard 36-38 inches. Its as good as it was in mid January for sure. Going to be interesting on a lot of lakes unless we get some warm temps and for sure some rain. 

Mike89

trucks and ice castles out there today, several of them too!!!

Borch

Well I checked the St Cloud forecast.  2 60 degree highs on 4/28 & 4/30.  A total of 6 days where the nights stay about freezing.   I hope I'm wrong but this looks worse than 2013 where many of our lakes in central mn were still locked up opening weekend.  

Positive thing is long term forecast are rarely correct.  I'm hoping that it's not actually colder.  :angry:

eyeguy 54

3 wheel houses came out on osakis today

monstermoose78

I am loving it

• Confused 1

ZachD

Looks like I will be hitting the river

And you be quiet with the loving it talk Moose

Mike89
12 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

3 wheel houses came out on osakis today

or more!!!  I was looking at them too...

eyeguy 54

couple from april 1 last year in the kayak. yak is in the backyard buried in snow right now. LOL 

41b.jpg

April 1 2017.jpg

monstermoose78

Glad you got the new drill! We got weeks of ice fishing yet