• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

The Skinny on Bulls - Late Season Panfish Pattern

Rick

Pencil Reed Ice Fishing For Big Bluegills

Some of the shallowest panfish we catch each winter happen in March during late ice on many fisheries.  Fun sight fishing patterns often emerge.  Fish can sometimes be found in a few feet of water under the ice.  Shallow weed patterns often come alive at late ice.  Many anglers assume that aquatic vegetation has to be green and vibrant in order to hold fish.   While still green weeds do hold fish, dead stands of weeds will also hold fish if the weeds provide cover and there is good oxygen.  When the ice begins to rot along the shorelines and water begins to seep into the lake along the shorelines, shallow water can be extremely productive.

One of my absolute favorite locations for looking for shallow water bluegills at late ice is really shallow pencil reeds.  Pencil reed beds are common on many lakes and often hold big fish.  In many cases… depending on the thickness of the ice,  we might only be fishing in two to three feet of water under the ice.

These pencil reed locations can really vary in size and profile.  Some dish bowl lakes might simply see pencil reeds lining the rim of the lake where there is the right sand bottom composition.  Other locations might be prominent reefs and bars that might be several acres.  My favorite type of location features pencil reeds that are growing out into five or six feet of water with a little bit of a roll to the contour where there is a sharper break running along the outside edge of the reeds.

There are many strategies to fishing these reed beds but there is one overriding challenge.  You have to drill several holes to really figure out the nuances of the location but drilling a lot of holes over these shallow locations seems to push the fish off.

Can’t prove this but it seems like electric augers and smaller bits seem less intrusive.  Six and four inch augers shine for cutting enough holes to really figure out these locations.  On the flip side, these smaller holes are terrible for sight fishing.  If you are planning on strictly sight fishing, use an eight or ten inch auger to give you a bigger window and let everything settle down after you drill your holes.  Another tip is to not drive vehicles over the location or drag anything on the ice.  When initially figuring out a location, we typically drill a lot of holes for simply learning the spot.

You can walk from hole to hole and fish but what we so often find is that we catch a lot more fish by recognizing the sweet spots and waiting out fish.  The sweet spots are often open lanes and cuts, troughs and dips in the bottom that funnel fish movements.  Once you recognize and locate these spots, you can sit and let everything settle down.  Seen it happen often where you drill your holes and it takes five to ten minutes for fish to come back underneath you.

You can definitely fish too aggressive and move too much in this type of situation because the reality is that fish might be scooting ten to twenty feet away from each step you take.  Have also seen situations where fish wouldn’t swim underneath a shelter or sled.  As a rule of thumb, you can get away with much more noise and presence if you are alone and on the spot first. As angling pressure increases over multiple days however, it seems like fish become more sensitive to everything.  The more you fish a location and learn the spot on the spots however the less holes you have to drill and the less intrusive you can be.

Big bull bluegills in pencil reeds can be a handful.  These fish can wrap you up and break you off.  Because this can often be combat fishing, I often opt for heavier line like the Frost Four Pound  Mono.  This isn’t finesse fishing.  Because four pound test can lack sensitivity, I often use tungsten jigs even in this often shallow water just because the added weight of tungsten improves the performance of heavier lines.

These patterns are notorious for producing big bluegills and this is fun fishing.  Much like trying to pull a heavy bass from out underneath a dock or laydown, there is an element of drama when fighting big fish in heavy cover.  Focus on the troughs, holes and bowls or any sharp outside edge that is in tight proximity to high dense stands of rushes and you will typically find big bluegills at late ice.

Just remember, shallow pencil reed patterns can often provide some exciting fishing opportunities for big bluegills at late ice.

http://fishingminnesota.com/top-stories/the-skinny-on-bulls-late-season-panfish-ice-fishing-adjustments/

by Jason MItchell

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Trey Pipesh
      By Trey Pipesh
      Hey guys! 
      I have an older style marcum under water camera that is black and white and shaped like an older tube TV.  Last winter someone stole the camera part but left the TV.   Does anyone out there have a replacement camera or know where to get one? 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      A group of us are planning on getting together on Lake Osakis for the day on 8/18/18 for a day of fishing and a midday picnic at the Battle Point Park.  We would enjoy connecting with some fellow anglers from the site to connect and have some fun.  Osakis is a great lake for big gills, slab crappies, nice walleye, pike, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  The best walleye bite has been during low light periods.  Sunfish and crappie bite all day.  We plan on taking a break around noon at the Battle Point Park for lunch.  Right now tentatively looking to connect around 8-9 at the access.  Otherwise look for a red and white Warrior and connect with me, "Borch" on the water I'd you'd like.   I might even have a fishing report really fresh fishing report for you. 😃
    • Bassman1
      By Bassman1
      Hi all my group will be up there on potatoe lake june 1 looking for any fish ideas and how toos especially pike and smallies were from Iowa large mouth country so i need help love some pan fish too
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      So if you are like me and have a jig addiction please help. I am looking for 3 mm sized jigs with bigger hooks. Why you ask I have been fishing lakes with big gills, but also have big crappies. Those tiny hooks on the 3 mm jigs just don’t seem to hold those crappies as well. I found the clam xl jigs but they are between 3.75-5 bucks jig. Anyone know where to find some small jigs with bigger hooks please let me know. Would you all be interested in finding jigs like this as well. Thanks 
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      I am heading to Florida on vacation in a day and I'm not sure what sort of ice conditions I'm going to come back to in the Twin Cities in April. With that I mind I decided to walk out on a Metro lake with a buddy on Wednesday to try to capitalize on a sundown shallow water bite. We used big baits and fished a shallow weedy point. The Crappies would come flying out of the thick stuff and hammer the baits - it was a lot of fun to watch on the flasher! How late into April do you think we'll be ice fishing in the Metro?

• Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      Last Thursday I got out in the Metro for a few hours with a buddy. We went out in the afternoon about 2 hours before Sunset and stayed for a few hours after it got dark. With the Sun up we punched a lot of holes, camera'd them and were able to find some thick weeds holding some good sized Sunfish. We fished those for a little bit and then pulled our shacks out a mile to a major piece of lake structure only to find that it was holding ZERO fish. On the way back to our launch point we stopped to check out a deep hole and found the larger Crappies to be roaming the edges suspended in the upper half of the water column. Big tungsten jigs with large plastics seemed to trigger their interest and get them to bite.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Pat McGraw
      SkunkedAgain,   What Bay are you in?
    • MN BassFisher
      Spoiler Alert for those that don't want to watch the video...   (38" Northern Pike)  
    • Hoey
      I'd recommend the Warroad river, park, and public access area.  Bear 55 may have more info and details.  The Rainy is another 30 mile drive past Warroad.   Good pizza at the restaurant there too.  
    • Hoey
      Todd and Jim, It was good seeing you all this past week.  I ended up jumping in Byron's boat on Thursday afternoon, after the wind settled down and the clouds cleared off.  We fished the islands from 2 to 6pm or so.  30 fish total.  Many slots,  biggest was 28.  We kept 3 eyes and a sauger.    On Friday i was able to get my boat in the water, 2 to 5pm.  I went south, started off in 4 ft and worked outward.  Found milting males in 19 ft, got a couple keepers.  I found females out a couple feet deeper.  Biggest was 26.  Caught 20 or so for the day.    Looking forward to fishing Thursday to Monday of this coming weekend.  The water remains cold at 48 to 49 degrees F.  Talk was the wind will help mix the water to get the temps rising.   Hoey!!!
    • Rick
      The 19th class of candidates to take part in the Department of Natural Resources’ Conservation Officer Academy has begun training at Camp Ripley.  This year’s class includes 14 recruits who bring with them a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. Some of them have been sheriff’s deputies and police officers, while others serve for the Minnesota National Guard or decided to make a career change and study to become a conservation officer. “As with all the men and women who’ve proudly served this division and the people of Minnesota since 1887, I’m confident these 14 people will continue our tradition of enforcing natural resources laws and understanding the importance of education and outreach as we serve the people of Minnesota,” said Rodmen Smith, DNR Enforcement Division director. The officer candidates began training at Camp Ripley on May 20 and will continue there until August, learning about topics ranging from fish and wildlife laws to patrol procedures, and rules of evidence to fish and wildlife investigation. They’ll also learn about the vital role conservation officers occupy in their communities and the part they play in developing the next generation of anglers, conservationists and hunters. Upon graduation, they’ll spend several months field training with experienced officers. The candidates will be assigned to their own stations in December. “Conservation officers live in the areas they serve and, due to the nature of their work, become integral parts of their communities,” said Smith. Attendees of this year’s Academy bring with them a wide variety of experiences. Some have a traditional law enforcement background while others took part in a program called CO PREP, which provides candidates before the Academy with law enforcement training such that they’re eligible for Peace Officer Standards and Training certification. Over the years, the CO PREP program has been highly successful in creating a conservation officer workforce that more closely reflects the state’s population. There are 155 conservation officer field stations in Minnesota. Currently, 27 of them are vacant; this current class will reduce the vacancies by about half. Each station covers about 650 square miles. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Moldy birdseed and unclean bird feeders can make birds sick. Homeowners who enjoy feeding birds can takes steps now to help birds stay healthy, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  In spring and especially in warm, humid weather, it is common for mold to form on wet birdseed. The mold can cause an avian disease called aspergillosis, which affects the birds’ respiratory systems. Salmonella is another disease that affects birds and is associated with unclean feeders. Both diseases can be fatal to birds. To clean a feeder, use a solution of one part bleach and nine parts water, and scrub the entire surface. Always allow the cleaned feeder to dry out in the sun, as the sunlight will help kill bacteria on the feeder. Hummingbird feeders should be cleaned about every week to 10 days during the summer, to keep the sugar water from producing mold. Staff from the DNR Nongame Wildlife Program urges bird enthusiasts to also rake or sweep up any fallen seeds and seed hulls under their feeder to prevent moldy conditions from occurring on the ground. Seeds left on the ground can also attract meadow voles, house mice, other rodents, raccoons, deer and even bears. Keep the feed dry by using a hopper-type feeder or a fly-through feeder, and always scrape out old seed that accumulates in the corners. Tray feeders with a screen bottom will allow seeds to dry out from above and below after a rain shower, but thick layers of seed could still trap moisture, so consider more frequent fillings with less seed. More information about bird feeding is available at mndnr.gov/birdfeeding. Books about attracting and feeding birds include, “Wild about Birds: The DNR Bird Feeding Guide” and “Landscaping for Wildlife.” These books were made possible by donations to the Nongame Wildlife Fund. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Docks and dock platforms provide access to Minnesota’s lakes and rivers, and are regulated to help protect public safety as well as aquatic habitat. As summer approaches, the Department of Natural Resources encourages property owners and lake service provider businesses to review the regulations, to ensure the equipment they own, sell or install is in compliance.  Extensive dock systems may shade out important aquatic plants and eliminate critical habitat where fish spawn, feed, grow and find shelter from predators. They can also obstruct navigation or even create a safety hazard if they are too large or improperly placed. “The current regulations have been in existence for many years, but not everyone is familiar with them,” said Jack Gleason, DNR public waters hydrologist. “The DNR worked with property owners, public water users, and business and industry representatives to develop these regulations. They’re designed to balance the need for reasonable access to public waters with habitat protection and safety.” To ensure this balance, a dock may not be more than 8 feet wide and may not be combined with other similar structures to create a wider dock. A modest platform at the water end of a dock is allowed under certain conditions. A single, temporary platform up to 120 square feet measured separately from the access dock, or 170 square feet including the area of the adjacent access dock, is allowed if the following conditions exist: The access dock must be 5 feet wide or less, and The dock must be on a lake with a shoreland classification of General Development or Recreational Development. Docks must not be a hazard to navigation, health or safety and must allow the free flow of water. A dock should not close off part of the lake or river to other users. Docks must also comply with any local ordinances. A document about state dock requirements is available on the DNR website. The DNR website also contains links to other helpful information for property owners about shoreline erosion control and restoration projects to help improve water quality and fish and wildlife habitat. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I didn't fish the tournament, but did luck into my PB 13" crappie off the dock while slip bobbering for walleye.
    • Xplorer
      Glad you had a good first week!!    
    • leech~~
      Oddly, can't even get the Boss to give this a Like.............So huum.   Detached?  🤔