• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

MN BassFisher

On the last day to target predator species during this Ice Fishing season I went out on Lake Vermilion. I setup for the morning on a break where I usually catch Walleye's with a few Yellow Perch mixed in but on this outing I caught mainly Jumbo Perch! Plus one bonus fish that took me over 4 minutes to get up the hole...

• Like 4

BrianF

Great vid. Thx for posting. Those were some impressve perch...and released too!  Nice pike as well. 

We were on the lake that day but didn’t do as well as you over on the West end.  Odd that we rarely ever catch jumbos like that over on that side.  Four to six inchers all day though and in just about every depth and hole. Maddening actually. 

Cliff Wagenbach

When the rusties get established on the West end you will start to see a lot of jumbos there! Never saw many on the East end either until the rusties showed up!

Cliff

BrianF

Cliff, interesting. Any theories on why that is?

Cliff Wagenbach

Has to be the fact that the perch are eating the rusties! Every jumbo that I clean is full of the baby rusties and mayfly larvae.

Cliff

MN BassFisher

We have really seen the size and presence of the Perch on the East Side take off the last 3 years, I'd say. When we catch them they are usually big which has been a fun change of pace! Everything is eating those Rusties now!

• Like 1

jkrash

Great Video! We had the same result on the last weekend, a few jumbos up to 14" and a couple gators,

20180224_151110.mp4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MN BassFisher
2 hours ago, jkrash said:

Great Video! We had the same result on the last weekend, a few jumbos up to 14" and a couple gators,

Awesome! That's a heck of Pike! 

Reid Saarela

Great video as always Mitch! I also ran into quite a few jumbos late season this year! Kept me busy when the walleyes slowed down.

OhioVike

On the same weekend, we fished the West end near our bay and caught perch like crazy.  I probably punched 25 holes looking for a mark. Dropped a line and pulled perch pretty much all day long caught a mix of sizes with plenty of jumbos. Kept a meals worth and released the rest.   Not sure that I ever had so much fun catching perch.  

MN BassFisher
On 3/14/2018 at 9:59 PM, Reid Saarela said:

Great video as always Mitch! I also ran into quite a few jumbos late season this year! Kept me busy when the walleyes slowed down.

Definitely! It used to be just the Tullibee's that would keep me entertained during the slow periods. Happy to search the Perch growing big and fat.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:29 AM, OhioVike said:

On the same weekend, we fished the West end near our bay and caught perch like crazy.  I probably punched 25 holes looking for a mark. Dropped a line and pulled perch pretty much all day long caught a mix of sizes with plenty of jumbos. Kept a meals worth and released the rest.   Not sure that I ever had so much fun catching perch.  

They are great table fare too! I haven't ice fished on the West End yet. One of these years I'll have to try but we spend more time in general on the East side so I have more knowledge of that side of the lake. So much structure to investigate!

OhioVike
Posted (edited)

I love fishing the west end on soft water but the hard stuff is work!!!  We are constantly looking for new spots to get walleye, but generally go back to the perch holes and catch a few walleye mixed in.  Generally enough for a meal but not what I would call great action. The  usual haunts do not produce walleye in the winter.  I think they are roaming the mud. Hard to cover a lot of water on the ice!!

Edited by OhioVike

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jkrash
      By jkrash
      So whats your best guess for ice out this spring or summer.
      http://www.lakevermilion.com/iceout/contest.html
    • OhioVike
      By OhioVike
      I have $50 to spend on Musky lures for a 14 year old boy.  Last fall he caught a nice musky, from my kayak, and was unable to land it to get a picture.  He did get it up to the kayak several times so he got a good look at it and has been bit by the Musky Fishing Bug.  I am looking for suggestions for the young man and was hoping to get some help here.  
    • Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      Hey guys and gals!
      I was wondering what kind of fish is this? I was thinking they were redhorse suckers or something but I am not 100% sure! I have been catching them out of the Mississippi and don't know if they are invasive or what the heck they are because they smell god awful!
      Thanks!

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!
      Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Finns
      Grand Lake Oklahoma with 23 other fellows!  22nd annual trip!  Kind of a get together.
    • Northlander
      If you can find a Gen 2 9" touch get it. I love mine.
    • Northlander
      Shimano Sedonas are work horses for the buck too.
    • Northlander
      Charge your battery after every use. Your not getting enough charging when not running big motor enough. Other option is to move up a size in battery if room. I have ran Interstates for years with no issues.
    • K-dub
      Today while running a spinner in Big Bay Walleye haunts. Released; would love to find more of these! 
    • Car7x
      Hi - this may not be the exact best spot for this, but

1). I flyfish, elk and deer hunt out of my simple, clean off grid cabin 11 m S of Ennis.
      Excellent elk, muley, whitetail, and pronghorn opportunities, E slope of Gravelly range. 2 m N of current Wigwam fire - no problem.I have more time than hunting partners and need solid, easy going buddies to hunt with, and or will time share swap with others for access to great hunting.

2) I have 230+ acres of outstanding pheasant, whitetail, waterfowl, and some turkey just E of Granite Falls MN. If you are local and have bear, deer, turkey, etc., opportunities, especially closer to the Metro, Let's Talk. This land is also for sale, I'm tightening up my footprint and want to build on my Bozeman lot on the Gallatin.

I am very interested in:
      - whitetail tree stand, including doe management opportunities (especially local for me in zone 610 MN) - gotta fill the freezer!
      - spot and stalk anything anywhere
      - turkey
      - winter southern or warm weather opportunities, including fly fishing..pigs?
    • monstermoose78
      Yeah geese and mallards were flying today
    • Fish Head
      I'll give the noise supressor a try Bob.  Both units were purchased at the same time.    yoppdk- I checked my unit and I don't see any such setting on the 998.  There is a low battery alarm setting, but that is already turned to off. 
    • Hoey
      This terminal could have been comprised, cracked or corroded to cause this.  
    • Hoey
      Geese are beginning to flock as I seen a number flying over the past couple days.