• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spring Turkey

IceHawk

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Ok thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I love a box call for windy days but like Chris said rack call h as it's place.  Even changing strikers can make a difference.

Busy season for me.  Taking a youth for the early Wisconsin season, then another for the Minnesota opener.  My dad (94 years old this year) has season B, I'm gonna try hard to get him on another bird.   I also do a women's mentored hunt later in May.  Have an archery tag in MN, so going to try to fit that in sometime.  Also hoping to hunt Wisconsin's D season if I get my leftover tag this morning.

Sure hope there'll be time for some spring crappie fishing.

• Thumbs Up 1

We are getting closer to the MN opener. Just over 3 weeks! I have been patiently waiting for this darn snow to melt. Went for a walkabout Saturday afternoon on one of the properties I have access to. Good thing there were snowmobile trails to walk on. Otherwise there is about 15" of hard crunchy snow that you break through every other step. That just sucks... Saw some tracks so I know there are a few around but the birds don't really winter here. They come back when the snow is gone. So hurry up spring, stop snowing and get warm!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Been hearing some gobbling in the mornings and witness some strutting activity. Warm spells gets them a little fired up. It was sure nice hearing some gobbles after a long winter. :cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

Checked my archery only spot Sunday and saw 15 jakes running together. They sure played hell with my hunt last year, always running off the bigger toms.  Looks like it may be more of the same this year.

19 minutes ago, DonBo said:

Checked my archery only spot Sunday and saw 15 jakes running together. They sure played hell with my hunt last year, always running off the bigger toms.  Looks like it may be more of the same this year.

I will be dealing with the same thing, but there were 4 groups of Toms. One pair which could be the same pair as last year, a group of 5, a group of 7, and a group of 4 they all had beards. The group of jakes is between 20-30 birds. I only saw 3 hens Back there but they could have been more in the corn. This year I am going to try and help my team more and see if I can stick a bigger bird, but if a Jake gives me a great shot bingo game over.

no snow crazy!! O well it will all work out.

We heard a couple gobbles while fishing this morning. Commented to Borch that we might need heaters in the blinds for sure this year :crazy: lol!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looking at the extended forecast the next 50 degree day is 4/13.  The next 60 degree day is 4/29.  Brrrr....

I might be ice fishing right up to the beginning of "B" season.   

@IceHawk you are going down in the turkey contest!

Nick That sounds like a challenge I'm up for ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

Nick That sounds like a challenge I'm up for ;)

It’s on

• Thumbs Up 1

Might have to drag out the snow camo for turkeys! Crazy thought! No way the snow is gone until probably May...

5 hours ago, paceman said:

Might have to drag out the snow camo for turkeys! Crazy thought! No way the snow is gone until probably May...

The snow might go for the most part, but there might be some snow in the shade.

Intellicast has 12"-20" more inches of snow for Friday-Sunday here in Randall.  Being so far out, i am sure it will be less. Golly, I am sure over this snow stuff.

It will sure put a damper on walking to find a good set up if it is true.

Not drawing an early season permit could be a blessing this season.  I generally prefer to hunt as early as possible because of hunting pressure but the birds could seriously still be in a winter pattern by the time season A gets here.

I saw the Fargo area could get like over 30 inches of snow. Please that that go into Canada and not south to us. 

1 hour ago, monstermoose78 said:

I saw the Fargo area could get like over 30 inches of snow. Please that that go into Canada and not south to us.

WHAT  When?

I knew you would comment leech so I went and got the photo for you!

11884A8B-013F-43DC-BA4C-4617C85B4A01.png

@leech~~

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

hey, at least ticks and mosquitos won't be a problem for a while. ......................it's the only positive I can take out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Should be fun to hunt in the snow

Fingers crossed we might luck out!

So far so good and @IceHawk we getting lunch for who ever gets wins between us?

Definitely Nick sounds like a good challenge. ;) We have been getting a fair amount of snow over here. Hopefully it slows down soon winds are terrible. This spring is  going to be a interesting challenge for anyone trying to fill a tag. The later hunts are going to be the ticket this year! Looks like a Scoot and Shoot kind of spring for me. Better work on my crawling techniques :)