• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2018 Rainy River Ice Conditions

LucasLongCaster

As of today a little surface ice accumulated the last few nights  but has been thawing back out throughout the day. It sounds like a week or so and they will be pushing and cleaning out the landings in Pelland

• Thumbs Up 2

There is a landing in International Falls a little ways below the dam, I'm sure they used that one.  I've gone out of it a couple of times.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never used that one but good to know its there. My boat is getting delivered next Monday so it should be game on! 

Shorewood landing is opened.  Watched a boat go by my place this morning and spoke with them this evening.   They fished the day with no action and worked their way past the Big Fork.    River is currently skimming over with a light sheet of ice but is normally gone before noon.  With the extended forecast I'm guessing 1st week of April to open all the way down

Just a guess so don't panic. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don’t think the river ice is going anywhere fast. There is still about 28-36 inches of ice down by the resorts. The long term forecast doesn’t have a lot of warm weather in it. The river and lake are both still covered with snow so the sun hasn’t been able to get to the ice at all. Just keep those boats at home. Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

That is near the Little Fork River.

I saw a report yesterday that open water was spotted 2-3 miles past Manitou Rapids.

• Thumbs Up 1

A little open water at Franz Jevne State Park. With temps projected to be around 40 or above for the next week, I'm hoping the river starts making a serious move.

5ab262d0771bb_FranzJevne.JPG.3d402cb024e772e46d14ef281eab057c.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Its like Christmas it's just sitting  under the tree teasing you just waiting to be opened. Every year this is an awesome time. Good luck to all.

Around 11-12 miles of river opened the last 7 days.  The forecast for the next 7 days is similar to the past week.  I would guess we are looking at boats jigging by the ice pack in front of Pinewood church by next Friday.  Just a guess, but the last 7 days are a pretty good indication of what to expect.

I am thinking it may take a little longer?

Usually the open water holds up at the rapids between Franz Jevne and Birchdale a couple of days.  I think Birchdale by next weekend but not yet to Frontier.  That is my prediction.

Cant wait, looking forward to it!

Checked the river about 5:30pm and is open about 1.5 miles east of Birchdale Landing.  Rainy River facebook page shared a picture of Kuttes Landing in Pelland and it has not been plowed out yet as of early afternoon

• Thumbs Up 2

I did see a report of a "smidge" of open water from the Birchdale landing yesterday (thanks RD for the reports), and another video today w/ a little more open water today from FB. This part seems to take forever!

Edited by dnovak

The landing at Pelland has been opened this afternoon just in time for weekend fishing.  Yknot has crawlers shiners and chubs for any bait needed.   

• Thumbs Up 2

March 24th, 2018:

Jason Groll Fishing Guide shared a video of open water at Birchdale this morning and said you can push a boat off the shore ice.  We will be checking the river later this afternoon to see if it opens up anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, LucasLongCaster said:

Has anyone been out on the river yet? If so any luck?

Went out yesterday from 9-1 and got 2 fish about 17 inches 

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Bigfatbert said:

Correct .  There have been some law changes up there .On border waters with Canada you CAN now enter into the Canadian waters to fish and or sight see , but with restrictions, such as , you CAN'T go on to shore , you CAN'T anchor , you CAN'T hover with another boat . You CAN troll and/or drift . You do still need a Canadian fishing license. You must follow Canadian fish limits , and other regulations that are in place .You CAN'T cross and use live minnows , or leeches , or possess either of them ,but you CAN use nightcrawlers if they are in worm bedding ,  not black dirt...  There are some grey areas that I need to get clarification on pertaining to alcohol in the boat , and if one can possess fish that were legally caught in Minnesota waters , my guess is no alcohol , and no fish caught on our side are allowed in your boat if you cross over into the Canadian waters , and also not sure about entering back into our waters with walleye from the Canadian side , I would guess if your back on our side , one must follow our possession laws....................... It's eliminating the need to do the Customs thing , passports and such .. IMHO it's kind of a good thing , but definitely presents many drawbacks and potential issues. I do know if one gets caught breaking there laws , there definitely is some steep consequences , so be wise if entering there waters !

I had a friend call Canadian customs and Customs said an RABC pass is still required to fish.  So I would call customs to confirm.

Now I’m confused. My buddy called the main office in Toronto and she told him an outdoor card and a Ontario nonresident license. What do we go with?  

46 minutes ago, SPUD BAR said:

Now I’m confused. My buddy called the main office in Toronto and she told him an outdoor card and a Ontario nonresident license. What do we go with?  

Did your buddy tell them you would be crossing by boat? It has been legal for years with an RABC permit and licenses and outdoors card. So what has changed? And alcohol is definitely illegal on Canadian water.

I just confirmed with him his conversation and again said just a outdoor card and license. Plus follow the rules of course.