• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

kelly-p

Upper Red nears record winter harvest

kelly-p

Upper Red nears record winter harvest

Ice fishing on Upper Red Lake has slowed in recent weeks, but the walleye harvest is on track to set or approach a wintertime record, numbers from an annual winter creel survey show.

According to Henry Drewes, regional fisheries supervisor for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in Bemidji, anglers through January had kept about 125,000 pounds of walleyes.

The wintertime high for Minnesota's portion of the lake was slightly more than 140,000 pounds in 2015, DNR statistics show. Anglers harvested 109,327 pounds of walleyes in the winter of 2017, according to DNR creel survey results.

"If we have an average February, we'll be right in that area" of 140,000 pounds, Drewes said. "Catch rates and pressure have really tapered off in the last (few weeks). I think that's related to winter fatigue and a slower bite."

Wheel houses, which have exploded in popularity among winter anglers in recent years, now account for more than 80 percent of the ice fishing pressure on Upper Red, Drewes said.

Anglers on Upper Red can keep four walleyes, of which only one can be longer than 17 inches. Walleye and northern pike season on Upper Red and other Minnesota inland waters closes Sunday, Feb. 25 and reopens Saturday, May 12.

The Minnesota DNR manages 48,000 acres of Upper Red, while the remaining 72,000 acres are within the boundary of the Red Lake Indian Reservation and managed by the Red Lake Band of Chippewa.

-- Brad Dokken Grand Forks Herald

• Thumbs Up 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• eyeguy 54
    • monstermoose78
      Some of the lakes have roads park and walk it what I will be doing
    • Borch
      Yeah I'm planning and scouting starting next week.  Any help is appreciated.   Also a reminder....   You will need a new fishing license as of 3/1/19.  The warden often comes by to say "hi"  and chat for a bit at our gathering.   I would hate to have someone forget.   Especially me. 😉
    • PRO-V
      Here's another I just saw in the newspaper.
    • smurfy
      Thanks I'll pass it along!!
    • Mnfisher
      I got stuck on West Rush Wednesday.  Thanks to Nick?  P  from Rush City for helping me get out.  I couldn't budge.  Mike from Mike's towing was going to come out and rescue me but Nick saved me a bundle!  Thanks, Mike for being willing to come out on the ice.    Just wondering how travel is on Rush and Pokegama this weekend.  I will be hesitant go get out until the snow gets packed down on a bit.!!!  
    • PRO-V
      Might want to have him call a realtor but I think there is something open in that strip mall behind McDonald's. A friend retired and closed his jewelry store and that spot might work good. I think it's called Pokegama  Plaza. Next to Edward Jones and Sears.
    • smurfy
      Hey PRO V, you wouldn't happen to know of any office spaces for rent in rapids would you? My co worker is maybe thinking of moving our office up there if he can find a reasonable price and enough room for his cabinets.
    • monstermoose78
      I am going to put a get together on Blue Lake in March!! I am thinking the second weekend at the time. My question is would Saturday or Sunday be best for most of you? This will be out of the north access as I have work on finding a good spot with active fish yet. Please let me know and if you are interested in helping find a spot with active fish. Thanks 
    • monstermoose78
      Lori lake has been pretty good for crappies