• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

MN BassFisher

Icing Catfish - First Timer!

MN BassFisher

A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• Thumbs Up 2

Borch

Looks like you had a lot of action.  They are fun to catch on light gear for sure.  Way to figure them out!

MN BassFisher
1 hour ago, Borch said:

Looks like you had a lot of action.  They are fun to catch on light gear for sure.  Way to figure them out!

Not nearly as much action as Rick G and Royce right next to us but we were pleasantly surprised! Jigging 6mm tungstens and watching rod tips/spring bobbers is probably not the most productive method but it worked with pretty good success for us. I must have dropped 8 of them halfway up after hooking them, is that common? I could feel them rolling and line popping off their fins so I'd imagine it is pretty common to hook and then lose them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch

Yeah a lot of times you just hook a whisker.  With all the thrashing and rolling some come unbuttoned.  Treble hooks help some but they then take longer to unhook.  I prefer small jigging spoons when they are cooperative.  But simetimes you need to downsize. 

eyeguy 54

fun time for sure!  amazes me how light they bite at times. Rick G is the man on detecting the bite and I learned a lot from him. And yes when in a catfish tornado those whiskers will make a guy set the hook! LOL  I like the treble hook also.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Jake Zeleznikar
      By Jake Zeleznikar
      I'm looking into insurance options for an Ice House and wondering what advice or recommendations anyone has on the best type of coverage. Also, if I want to be able to rent out my ice house when I'm not using it but not as an "outfitter" or "guide" would that be something that typical coverage wouldn't cover if a profit is being made since I wouldn't have the coverage that a company running as an outfitter would have? (Such as how normal car insurance doesn't cover an Uber driver when they are logged into the app and giving someone a ride because they are consequently on the road more often and making a profit.) Any and all information or recommendations would be extremely helpful!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/24/18, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Cedar Island Lake near Richmond.    As of today the ice conditions appear to be excellent with 2 feet or more of good ice in all areas except necked down current areas.  The highlighted routes are being traveled frequently at this point.   The Cedar Island Lake is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots.  
      There will be a potluck about noon with a raffle drawing following lunch.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.

Cedar Island Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22 east of Horseshoe lake.  There is a public access about 3 miles south of Hwy 23 on CR 71 that is a good option for cars or wheelhouses as the CR 22 access is a bit steep.  For those who have used the winter access for Horseshoe Lake the Cedar Island winter access is directly across the road from this access.
      I look forwards to seeing you all there!

• LaMarr Uhuru
      By LaMarr Uhuru
      So I'm fishing white bear lake tomorrow in 7deagree weather.
        I'l be there around 520am  
      LOOKING FOR WALLEYES CRAPPIES N PEARCH TO KEEP. WHERE IS AH GOOD SPOT TO START FISHING.   can anyone lead me somewhere goodg
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/25/17, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot called the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  As of today the ice conditions appear to be adequate.   The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      We will need to monitor ice conditions as it's been a weird winter so far.  Given the current ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
      I look forwards to seeing you all there!
    • Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Anyone know of a good ice fishing lake near vermilion? Perhaps something with a hot panfish bite.
    • UncleKes
      By UncleKes
      I used to fish a small lake just north of Malmo on Milla Lacs at a town called Glen.  The Lake was called Clear Lake.  I have not fished it in quite some time and wondered if anyone has any information on it.  (Ice conditions, whats biting, etc.)
      I moved to St. Cloud a few years ago but thought it might be nice to ice fish the lake this winter.  I used to catch some nice stringers of perch, crappies, and sunfish.  
      Can anyone tell me if they are still selling bait at the Gas Station/RestaurantStore at Malmo?
      Any info would be appreciated.
      Uncle Kes
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got on a small lake in the Bemidji area to chase after some BIG panfish. Snowstorm came through and made them finicky but managed to pull couple topside for a pic. 5mm Tungsten jig tipped with a Trigger X mustache worm did the trick! Probably my favorite fish to catch in the winter!

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Got on a small lake in the Bemidji area to chase after some BIG panfish. Snowstorm came through and made them finicky but managed to pull couple topside for a pic. 5mm Tungsten jig tipped with a Trigger X mustache worm did the trick! Probably my favorite fish to catch in the winter

• Rick
      By Rick
      Minnesota Ice Fishing Reports by Area - Share you ice fishing stories here...Click it to set the hook!!!
    • Horseshoe_Don
      By Horseshoe_Don
      Was out walleye fishing tonight and the cats were pretty aggressive just after dark.   Caught 2 cats that were 4-5 pounds and lost another just as big.   Ate some tasty walleye also.

Don

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Many strong reports from the lake.  Mixed schools of fish from 14-28' along south shore from Lighthouse Gap to Rocky Point.  Most anchored up and jigging with frozen shiners.  Gold or gold mixed with other colors working well.   The key is finding the fish.  Once found, fish tend to cooperate nicely.     On the Rainy River... Strong walleye activity continues.  Jig and frozen shiners continue to be the go-to method with some anglers also trolling crankbaits.  Gold, orange and yellow for jigs.  As waves of walleyes move through, reports change daily up and down river.  Be mobile, move around if a spot isn't producing.  A lot of good reports in 8-14'.  Some big walleyes caught over the weekend. Sturgeon continue to have the feed bag on.  The sturgeon catch and release season goes through April 23, 2019.       Up at the NW Angle... Fishing continues to be really really good.  Limits of walleyes being caught in 14 - 25'.  Jigging still producing.  Look for areas of current in neck down areas and outside of bays.  Fall crappie bite in on.  Muskie trollers still boating and releasing good numbers of fish.  The best fall fishing is yet to come, but only for the hearty!  Dress warm and hang on.  
    • ANYFISH2
      I guess I dont mind the bonus tags, but prefer it when it is a 1 deer limit.  Only because I like seeing a lot of deer.  Selfish I know, but!   I have yet to shoot a deer in Camp myself.  This will be my 16 Year hunting out of 20 years applying. Love Camp, even on the down years.  My time is  coming, I hope.
    • monstermoose78
      I liked the bonus tags in ripley as many people only were chasing trophies. I shot a fair number of does and fawns there. Only shot one buck and some idiots took it is was a nice 9 pointer.
    • ANYFISH2
      I will be sure to call you!   But of course, you can do the same. Unfortunately bonus tags are in play again.
    • monstermoose78
      With 700 people 74 deer aint bad  And  no bonus tags
    • Agronomist_at_IA
      Well......The issue is that the biologists, scientists, and others have looked at the compiled data regardless if the data is good or bad, and have no consensus on what is really wrong or going on or how to fix. So out of confusion and not understanding on what's going on they've taken a course of action which doesn't seem to be working. Leaving a bunch of large walleyes in a lake with low forage doesn't work to well. If young recruitment of walleye isn't happening, maybe they should look at trying something else.....  
    • Wanderer
      I bet that success rate goes up this weekend if the rain doesn’t get too crazy.   It should be 10% + Anyfish’s buck at least. 😉   At least you can have someone around to help you drag it out.
    • ANYFISH2
      74 deer harvested, 5 or 6 bucks topping 200 pounds.  Right around 10 % success rate.   Info per area wildlife manager.
    • Wanderer
      This is what I heard from someone who hunted:   The 200 lb mark was broken by at least one buck.   Deer sightings were OK.   Bears, bears, bears... gorging on acorns.   About 700 hunters participated.   Success rate unknown.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has announced that regional wildlife manager Cynthia Osmundson will become the supervisor of the agency’s Nongame Wildlife Program, effective next month. Osmundson will replace the recently retired Carrol Henderson.  “Minnesotans have been strong supporters of the state’s nongame program, and it’s my desire to build on that success and continue to connect people with wildlife,” Osmundson said. The donor-supported DNR Nongame Wildlife Program works to help more than 700 species of Minnesota wildlife thrive. Nongame wildlife are species that are not legally hunted, with a focus on species that are rare, declining or vulnerable to decline. Minnesota’s Wildlife Action Plan is an important guide for this work. This partnership-based, 10-year conservation plan is designed to ensure the long-term health and viability of Minnesota’s wildlife and to enhance opportunities for people to enjoy it. “We are so fortunate to inherit the strong foundation Carrol Henderson and his team of wildlife professionals have built over the years,” Osmundson said. Osmundson most recently served as regional wildlife manager in the DNR’s Central Region, where she and her team focused on key priorities affecting the 50,000 acres of wildlife habitat in 23 counties including the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, and outreach to diverse communities. Before that, Osmundson was the statewide forest habitat coordinator in the DNR Wildlife Section. She has also worked as a planner for the Minnesota Forest Resources Council and as an assistant refuge manager in Montana and Wisconsin with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Born and raised in Minnesota, Osmundson earned her bachelor’s degree in zoology from the University of Montana and a master’s degree in wildlife biology from the University of Wyoming. While there, she had opportunities to trap and tag grizzly bears, as well as raft the Colorado River in search of endangered fish and peregrine falcons. More information about the DNR Nongame Wildlife Program can be found at mndnr.gov/nongame. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.