• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

MN BassFisher

Icing Catfish - First Timer!

MN BassFisher

A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• Thumbs Up 3

Borch

Looks like you had a lot of action.  They are fun to catch on light gear for sure.  Way to figure them out!

MN BassFisher
1 hour ago, Borch said:

Looks like you had a lot of action.  They are fun to catch on light gear for sure.  Way to figure them out!

Not nearly as much action as Rick G and Royce right next to us but we were pleasantly surprised! Jigging 6mm tungstens and watching rod tips/spring bobbers is probably not the most productive method but it worked with pretty good success for us. I must have dropped 8 of them halfway up after hooking them, is that common? I could feel them rolling and line popping off their fins so I'd imagine it is pretty common to hook and then lose them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Borch

Yeah a lot of times you just hook a whisker.  With all the thrashing and rolling some come unbuttoned.  Treble hooks help some but they then take longer to unhook.  I prefer small jigging spoons when they are cooperative.  But simetimes you need to downsize. 

eyeguy 54

fun time for sure!  amazes me how light they bite at times. Rick G is the man on detecting the bite and I learned a lot from him. And yes when in a catfish tornado those whiskers will make a guy set the hook! LOL  I like the treble hook also.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Good morning everyone! I hope you all have had better luck than me recently. I'm beginning to think I need a wise mentor to guide me because the kitties continue to elude me... I have been to Peninsula point park in Anoka, Crow river near Rockford, Coon Rapid's dam (BP side), and a handful of metro lakes (Harriet, Bde Maka Ska, lake of the Isles, and Wirth).
      I have the following areas picked out for my next trips:
      Gray's Bay on lake Minnetonka Hidden falls Minnehaha where it meets the Mississippi I have been using crawlers or cut suckers on a carolina rig. Sometimes I'll switch it up and lighten the weight for a float.

I suspect a possible gar sighting on one of my trips, but it cut the line (40lb test braid) with a fierce head shake. A clean cut right at the hook. I wish I could have gotten a better look at it 😩 It hasn't all been bad though! I caught some other species in the process and met some awesome people.

• Daniel Hayes
      By Daniel Hayes
      looking to try cut bait for catfishing. Usual use nightcrawlers or stink bait, but am looking to filter the Rockbass and small cats. 
      I'm gunna buy a couple decoy suckers and use. But am wondering how to humanely kill and cut up? Or do I just cut umm alive while flopping like a serial killer?
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      So tomorrow the 29th I’m headed over to the ford dam for some flatheads or channel cats. This is a free invitation to anyone who would like to join me for some relaxing time on the river!!! Feel free to message me for more details!! Planning on heading out at 10 and fishing until dark. 
    • F/M member
      By F/M member
      Catfishing the Red River? In the F/M area?

What works best for catfishing in the F/M area?
      Whats the contour of the Red River like for someone to see where to fish?
      Are any of the dam spots good for catfishing?

What has worked for you?
    • F/M member
      By F/M member
      Looking for spots near the F/M area on the Red to catch catfish. 
      What tributaries are known for catfish or other species?
      Where does a person go to look for catfish on the Red River?
      Do dams work well? 

• F/M member
      By F/M member
      What is going on for catfishing and/or walleye fishing on the Red River this Spring in/or near F/M area?
      The date is 4/22/2020. 
      -
      -
      Any spots that seem to be working for catching fish?
      Any fishing setups work well right now for walleye/catfish on the Red?
      -
      -
      Personally, I am a new member and I am looking to go guiding with someone for either walleye or catfish at this time of year. 
      My email address is [email protected] Cell phone number is 3202981047. 
      I have fished the Red River in the past but not with much luck. I don't know where to go specifically for spots. Looking for friends/buddies to show me. 
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I mentioned in a previous post that I'm hoping to catch my first catfish this year. I've poked around the coon rapids dam but caught nothing, other than my first tick bite 😞

There's actually a story behind my catfish mission. It all started when I was about 10 years old, fishing off a dock at a family cabin. I was bored, casting and reeling repeatedly. My older cousins teased me, saying I wouldn't catch anything with a plastic crawler. I didn't care since I was only there to experience the lake...but after a few more casts, something hit with the force of a freight train (to little 10 year-old me, anyway). My cousins saw me struggling with something and came over in time for the fish to leap out of the water, revealing the biggest fish my young eyes had ever seen. It was a cat, a BIG one, and it was about twenty feet out. One cousin grabbed a net while the other jumped around hollering. The adults emerged to investigate all the commotion. EVERYONE was on the dock waiting for me to land this beast! My mom had a camera, my cousin was ready with the net, my aunt was screaming like she was watching the vikings play. I fought for what felt like ages, and finally spotted the fish; bright eyes, whiskers, a long dark body that was solid muscle, and a mouth that could swallow my fist. It seemed to look at me and contemplate for a moment...then spat out the hook. It disappeared into the depths as dumbfounded silence fell over the dock.

I have zero doubts that it was a channel catfish. Likely not a record breaker, but beefy nonetheless. The catfish continues to elude me, but I'm determined to break the cycle this year! 🎣
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      Does anyone know if the Ford Dam contains eels at all?? I know that it has mooneye and I have heard that it has sizable flatheads.... although I haven’t seen pictures so I’m a bit skeptical... Was just curious because I’ve heard rumors that American eels are amazing for flatheads!!! If anyone could give me some tips on how to locate any over there I would really appreciate it!!! (Help with mooneye is greatly appreciated too!)
    • Decanno1
      By Decanno1
      So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about stocking a gravel pit we own with suckers. Mainly white suckers but we’ll happily go with other species!! My question is this: Do sucker eggs NEED a constant flow of water to hatch? Or will they be fine in a gravel pit or any lake/pond that doesn’t have any flow coming in or out? This will make or break our plans for the pit, thanks in advance!!!
    • ErikLovesFishin
      By ErikLovesFishin
      Hi,
      We at Caribou Lures JIG-A-JO appreciate the countless support we’ve had for the past 37 years and would like to give back to you. We are giving away 3 JIG-A-JO tackle boxes on Friday, March 6th 2020.

Have a great day

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.